Mayfair to charge for three biggest c...

Mayfair to charge for three biggest concerts : The Morning Call...

There are 16 comments on the The Morning Call story from Apr 3, 2007, titled Mayfair to charge for three biggest concerts : The Morning Call.... In it, The Morning Call reports that:

The three biggest concerts at this year's Mayfair Festival of the Arts in Allentown will have a ticket price this year, a giant leap for an event that just three years ago was entirely free.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Morning Call.

Brian

Allentown, PA

#1 Apr 3, 2007
Concert tickets will be $15 to $45....admission will cost $5...BUT.....

'We want people to come back again and again and again,'' said Terry Glennon, in his second year as executive director.

Who's going to pay $45 to see Colvin or Currington? I just saw Little Big Town at Croc Rock and it was $25 a ticket, and they're MUCH bigger than those two. Unless the third act is a HUGE star, I don't see anyone coughing up $45 apiece for those shows.
Jerry - Allentown

Whitehall, PA

#3 Apr 3, 2007
"as-yet-unnamed pop or rock act sponsored by B104 radio on May 25. Tickets for each act will be $15 to $45 and go on sale Monday through Ticketmaster"

"sponsored" use to mean that a radio station and it's advertisers would PAY for something to reward it's listeners. A new car has turned into a "lease" on a car and station "sponsored" events are just another way to rake in cash. If there is anyone who did not see this coming when the $5 fence went up is truly in denial. Allentown should kick out the diseased geese and put up condos to attract more taxpayers
The Pole at the Fox

Whippany, NJ

#4 Apr 3, 2007
Mayfair.... I used to go when it was free and pleasant but now they charge and the acts are hideous that they want you to pay for to see. I do not mind paying to see an act but when does country music every have a huge draw around here nonetheless in Allentown. We used to like strolling around and enjoying the weather and the venders but now it just isn't worth the hassle.
Stop Whining

Allentown, PA

#5 Apr 3, 2007
Here we go again... this board will be nothing but complaints about paying for something. God forbid we kick in a few bucks to see a performer or attend an event. Then again, I'm not surprised - these same people complain when their taxes go up. Hello! Get over it already!
User2004

Elkton, MD

#6 Apr 3, 2007
I don't think I could name a single song either of these people sing. I used to enjoy going to Mayfair to wander around a bit, but it just irks me to pay admission to shop and buy overpriced food.
Abbie

Bangor, PA

#7 Apr 3, 2007
I haven't gone to Mayfair since it turned into a frat party on the lake. I got tired of trying to explain to my 6 year old daughter that the guys throwing up in the trash cans are doing it on purpose and yes, normally they would be arrested. Also, if I wanted to go shopping for crap in a crowded area with the finest that Allentown has to offer, I would go to the local mall for free.

“Dirk Duncum”

Since: Feb 07

Allentown

#8 Apr 3, 2007
"acts are hideous" Shawn Colvin is one of the most talented, legitimate singer songwriters out there. If well known national acts are going to play local festivals they have to get paid accordingly. Performers deserve to be compensated.

“Christian Conservative”

Allentown

#9 Apr 3, 2007
Can't Wait! Vacation has already been set aside, my family enjoy's mayfair, even more since the fence went up, less rowdy teenagers makes for a much more pleasent evening. Not sure I'll pay to see a concert if I can just sit in the grass nearby and still hear it, plus, with two kids we don't stay out THAT late with them, but I'm looking forward to it and hoping the weather is nice.
changeisgood

United States

#10 Apr 3, 2007
ack! I don't like change! I'm afraid of things when they're different!
Artist

Norwalk, CT

#11 Apr 3, 2007
People who go to events such as Mayfair to just "stroll around" are not creating revenue for the artists/food vendors to return. Mayfair, like many other music/art driven events have chosen to gate the event to "pre-qualify" the attendees. As an artist with 6 years experience doing shows can tell you, there is no better event than a gated one. People willing to pay the gate do so because they WANT to experience what the event has to offer in the way of music/food/art.

The bottom line is - you get what you pay for.

I applaud Mayfair for their decision in recent years to gate the event. Sadly - people who wish to have something for nothing just don't get it.

“Dirk Duncum”

Allentown

#12 Apr 3, 2007
Controlling the rowdy teenagers from 7th and Linden is also a good thing. Keep those cretins out. They serve no purpose other than to stand in a corner with baggy pants and harass women!
Allentonian

Long Beach, CA

#13 Apr 3, 2007
I attended the very first Mayfair and enjoyed the smallness of the event very much. As the even grew and the culture in this town changed, I no longer went because of the circus it became.

Last year I was invited to attend with an old friend and had a fantastic time. I returned twice more and each time was enjoyable and memorable.

It's likely I'll go again, especially with blues night and old bands like Daddy Licks reuniting for the event.

I'll very much MISS not seeing the late "Scott Hot" Schneck perfom there. Instead, I'll look forward to seeing the other members and many of his long time friends, whom I've not seen in many years! I hope this turns out to be the event of the season!!!

User2004

Elkton, MD

#14 Apr 3, 2007
Artist wrote:
People who go to events such as Mayfair to just "stroll around" are not creating revenue for the artists/food vendors to return. Mayfair, like many other music/art driven events have chosen to gate the event to "pre-qualify" the attendees. As an artist with 6 years experience doing shows can tell you, there is no better event than a gated one. People willing to pay the gate do so because they WANT to experience what the event has to offer in the way of music/food/art.

The bottom line is - you get what you pay for.

I applaud Mayfair for their decision in recent years to gate the event. Sadly - people who wish to have something for nothing just don't get it.
As I recall, most of the vendors complained about the gates - falling attendance means falling profits.
Mitchell

Bethlehem, PA

#15 Apr 3, 2007
The Mayfair Board should just get it over with and change their name to "Musikfest Lite" . The festival is comletely losing it's image as an ARTS festival. Of course nothing will change until there is a complete shake-up on that board of directors. Its a shame.

“Fight bigotry.”

Toms River, NJ

#16 Apr 3, 2007
Shawn Colvin's appearance will be what finally gets me to Mayfair! I've lived in the LV since 1992 and haven't been there yet.
aginghipster wrote:
"acts are hideous" Shawn Colvin is one of the most talented, legitimate singer songwriters out there. If well known national acts are going to play local festivals they have to get paid accordingly. Performers deserve to be compensated.
Artist

Norwalk, CT

#17 Apr 3, 2007
User2004 wrote:
<quoted text>

As I recall, most of the vendors complained about the gates - falling attendance means falling profits.
Mayfair has only been gated for 2 years and there will understandably be a period of sdjustment. Did the vendors take into consideration the state of the local/national enconomy? Artist/vendor sales have been on a downward trend for several years.(War in Iraq, high gas prices, etc.) I highly doubt that the introduction of a gate fee would have been the sole reason for lower sales.

As a side note: One vendor that I spoke with, said that theft from her booth was down from previous years due to the lack of "element" that has been kept out by the gate fee.

Like I said before - most people coming to just "hang out" were never going to patronize the vendors anyway. I can list one successful event after another in Eastern Pennsylvania that charges a gate fee.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Billy Currington Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
all about billy currington (Jan '06) Dec '15 Donna 60
News Country singer Cale Dodds coming to Hilton Head (Jul '15) Jul '15 Will Dockery 1
News Country singer Currington posts bail after thre... (Apr '13) Jun '13 TN girl 4
News Warrant out for singer Billy Currington's arrest (May '13) May '13 LBer 2
News Country singer Billy Currington charged with th... (Apr '13) Apr '13 LBer 1
News Frankie Ballard (Oct '12) Nov '12 George Jones 2
Billy Currington in houston 4th of July 2012 (Jul '12) Jul '12 Dolly 1
More from around the web