INSIDE THE CAPITOL: Hoodwinked by the...

INSIDE THE CAPITOL: Hoodwinked by the Rail Runner

There are 30 comments on the Alamogordo Daily News story from Jun 27, 2011, titled INSIDE THE CAPITOL: Hoodwinked by the Rail Runner. In it, Alamogordo Daily News reports that:

It is now confirmed: New Mexicans were hoodwinked by the Rail Runner. During former Gov.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Alamogordo Daily News.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Native

Mayhill, NM

#21 Jun 29, 2011
"...that what liberals are good for spend all your money and tuck tail and run..."

Kinda like GW Bush did after he inherited a SURPLUS from the womanizing Democrat Clinton right? Is that what you meant to illustrate?

Like another poster said,

"It took OBAMA to get OSAMA!!"

You PEE-PARTIERS just HATE that don't you!?!!
Ex- El Paso resident

Las Cruces, NM

#22 Jun 29, 2011
There are wrote:
<quoted text>
lots of good possibilities to improve and promote service. The approach of cutting off Saturday service is counterproductive.
Then Santa Fe and Albuquerque need to pay to keep it running.

I vote for a property tax increase in Albuquerque and Santa Fe to pay for the rail runner since it only benfits those two cities.

The taxpayers of Dona Ana and Sirrea counties got stuck with the bill for the Space Port.

You should be stuck with the bill for that doondoggle we call the road runner. Thank fat Bill for that one.
Duh

Santa Fe, NM

#23 Jun 29, 2011
Ex- El Paso resident wrote:
<quoted text>
I vote for a property tax increase in Albuquerque and Santa Fe to pay for the rail runner since it only benfits those two cities.
The taxpayers of Dona Ana and Sirrea counties got stuck with the bill for the Space Port.
there is a regional GRT for it and the train does go down to Belen - not just to Albuquerque. We voted for the tax, just as the people in the goober counties down south voted for the Spaceport tax.

All transportation systems are subsidized - especially roads and highways, never mind the subsidies related to the extraction industries and cheap fuels or the other hidden costs of environmental degradation. I expect you enjoy the roads we all pay for down there. I'm not sure any of the people in NM except for the contractors constructing the Spaceport will ever see any benefit from it, but anybody can pay the fare and ride the train (except on weekends in the near future). It is here for everybody.

Property taxes are too low in NM and the NMGRT is too high and burdens low income folks too much, but that is another discussion.

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#25 Jun 29, 2011
How soon people forget how the democrats spend your money and have no responsibility about there actions, and now we have Obama and dead quiet from the liberals.

“Pro-Constitution , Anti-Obama!”

Since: May 10

Capitan, NM

#26 Jun 29, 2011
Land Locked Sailor wrote:
How soon people forget how the democrats spend your money and have no responsibility about there actions, and now we have Obama and dead quiet from the liberals.
Bush has an illegal war in Iraq (which the Congress voted on and approved) but he gets blasted by the media. Obama sends troops illegally into Libya (Congress didnt even vote) media keeps mouth shut! LOL Thats the change we can count on. LOL

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#27 Jun 29, 2011
Duh wrote:
<quoted text>
there is a regional GRT for it and the train does go down to Belen - not just to Albuquerque. We voted for the tax, just as the people in the goober counties down south voted for the Spaceport tax.
All transportation systems are subsidized - especially roads and highways, never mind the subsidies related to the extraction industries and cheap fuels or the other hidden costs of environmental degradation. I expect you enjoy the roads we all pay for down there. I'm not sure any of the people in NM except for the contractors constructing the Spaceport will ever see any benefit from it, but anybody can pay the fare and ride the train (except on weekends in the near future). It is here for everybody.
Property taxes are too low in NM and the NMGRT is too high and burdens low income folks too much, but that is another discussion.
People actually use roads. The travel on roads and highways generate massive economic activity and tax revenues that far exceed any minor governmental involvement.

Not to mention the massive national security benefit of the highway system.

Do a little research on the Eisenhower Interstate System:

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/facili...
Hillary

Albuquerque, NM

#28 Jun 29, 2011
There goes another Richardson/Chavez project down the line (no pun intended. I saw the RR as an attempt to bring possible subways to the Albuquerque/Santa fe region but all that was accomplished was an above ground transportation (of People) which started with troubles and ends with troubles. I don't see how cost effective, if it ever was, its use was to the state.

A Japanese fast speed monorail would of made more sense to implement.
Steve

Albuquerque, NM

#29 Jun 30, 2011
You should get your facts straight. I ride the train regularly, and we PASS cars on I-25. Its quite fun actually. Also, the delays are very infrequent. There have been MANY more traffic jams halting cars when I am on the train than there have been train delays.

I get pretty tired of people in southern NM complaining that their tax money is spent on projects up north. I have never complained about my tax dollars going for big projects down south that I never get much benefit from. How many of my tax dollars go to the Alamagordo White Sands Airport? Surely you could shut that down and just drive over to Las Cruces when you need a flight.

The point is, there are projects all across the state that benefit all New Mexicans---whether directly or indirectly. So, lets join together for the betterment of NM, not to put each other down. Maybe someday a passenger train will connect Southern NM towns.
Steve

Albuquerque, NM

#30 Jun 30, 2011
Ex- El Paso resident wrote:
<quoted text>
You should be stuck with the bill for that doondoggle we call the road runner. Thank fat Bill for that one.
We did vote for this, and we are paying more taxes to cover much of the train.
Good

Santa Fe, NM

#31 Jun 30, 2011
Cary L Nickel wrote:
<quoted text>

"any minor governmental involvement".
one! As usual: delusional

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bill Richardson Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Hillary is best candidate for U.S. president (Feb '08) Jul '16 Responsibilty 938
News Once again, Hispanics were considered for VP. O... (Jul '16) Jul '16 All For Show 1
News Republican Martinez claims NM governor's seat (Nov '10) Jul '16 Lorenzo 247
News 'Double dippers' fought legislation (May '09) Apr '16 concerned citizen 56
News Who still takes global warming seriously? (Jan '10) Jan '16 Brian_G 30,923
News Janway: Plutonium has already been disposed at ... (Sep '15) Sep '15 texinnewmex 2
News Charges against official fuel state's corruptio... (Sep '15) Sep '15 fatbacksx 1
More from around the web