Our View: Animal trapping: Politics, practicality - and cruelty

Full story: Silver City Sun-News

Deep in the silence of a New Mexico forest, a bushy tailed red fox rustles leaves as he makes his way through the trees.
Comments
1 - 7 of 7 Comments Last updated Aug 14, 2011
non-resident trapper

Gonzales, LA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 3, 2011

Judged:

By far,the worst piece of journalism I have ever read on this subject,congratulations.After a"Fox and the Hound" Walt Disney introduction.It quickly deteriorates into biased political simplicity.Bill Richardson,Democrat,good.Susan Martinez,Republican,bad.Federa l government and wolves,good.Trappers and traps,bad.Trappers catch themselves in their own traps all the time.If they were as dangerous as this article would have you believe,there would be many crippled and dead trappers every trapping season,and traps that dangerous would not be legal to set in New Mexico,anytime,anywhere.Trappe rs avoid catching wolves at all costs,the time involved in release by USFWS is conducive to efficient trap line management,it's a waste of time.The vast majority of wolves injured by foothold traps are injured by USFWS administering the day to day functions of the program,they are the only ones legally trapping wolves.No dog,coyote,fox,or wolf ever lost an entire leg to a foothold trap,and if anyone says different it is a lie.I base that statement on fifty years of trapping experience in four separate states.Wildlife management is not a popularity contest,it is based on sound biological principles and scientific facts.We pay NMDGF millions of dollars to do their jobs,allow them to do so,it is only common sense.If there is a problem,petition the NMDGF Game Commission,they are the voice of the people.They try to do what is best for all the citizens of New Mexico and not just one elite group with a biased agenda.I am not a prejudiced man,but I am starting to see why people from New Mexico hold people from Texas in such high esteem.
non-resident trapper

Gonzales, LA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 3, 2011

Judged:

I just noticed The Silver City Sun News Considers this article their own view.Quite interesting,this same article is in the New Mexico Forum,which says it was penned by the El Paso Times editorial board.That would constitute plagiarism since the El Paso Times is not credited by the Sun Times.The Sun Times did add a little spicy relish at the end to embellish the great injustice being perpetrated against the Mexican Wolf by the evil Susan Martinez administration and NMDGF,and let's not forget the inhumane trappers.First time I ever saw someone from New Mexico emulate what someone from Texas thinks!
non-resident trapper

Prairieville, LA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 4, 2011

Judged:

Why must the blatantly biased liberal press continue their ridiculous all or nothing mentality on the issue of legal,ethical,humane trapping in New Mexico?There are many other ways to be proactive on this subject,to better serve all the citizens and wildlife in New Mexico.Let's put our heads together and bring common sense to this subject,not closed minded,emotional misinformation and outright lies,that lessen your credibility in the eyes of all the citizens of New Mexico.Joining with NMDGF and the New Mexico Trapper's Association to establish a trapper's education program for young trappers is one such example.Sponsoring cash rewards,with NMDGF,for information on criminals,who violate trapping regulations,would be another proactive example.Championing the cause to remove feral dogs and cats from the public lands of New Mexico would do much to help the native wildlife in New Mexico.Putting a cash bounty on coyotes would also go along way to increasing small game populations,especially bobcats and all the species of foxes found in New Mexico.There are many proactive initiatives which are being ignored to pursue this insane attack on legal,ethical,humane trappers and trapping.Com mon sense says positive trumps negative.
non-resident trapper

Prairieville, LA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 4, 2011

Judged:

The only answer I can come up with to the question posed in my above post is that the press is doing exactly what they want to do.Close minded,emotional misinformation and outright lies sell newspapers,which sell advertising.I know first hand,the printed newspaper business is suffering at every level,apparently enough to lower historic industry standards and ethics to this inexcusable level.Since the majority of these liberal reporters and editors associate with these environmentalist organizations and their members,they gain much favor in these circles by circulating their biased propaganda.Memberships in these organizations grow,and the influx of cash donations increase,a very sweet friendship.I wonder why the newspaper business is in trouble,questionable ethics and business practices could not be the root of the problem,it must be the internet.How could anyone question the integrity of the press and abuses to the sacred rights of freedom of speech and freedom of the press in twenty-first century America?Many questions need to be asked by the citizens of New Mexico about the press in this state and which masters they are attempting to serve.They are doing exactly what they wish to do!
non-resident trapper

Prairieville, LA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 5, 2011

Judged:

I believe the press in New Mexico owes its' readers a public apology and a condemnation of these radical animal rights groups,whose biased propaganda they have pushed on the citizens of New Mexico for far to long.We have had our common sense and intelligence insulted far too many times by these radical animal rights crusades you have engaged upon with their support and blessings.Collusion of the press is a blatant abuse of freedom of the press and by continuing to support one biased point of view,you are infringing upon our right to freedom of speech.It's time to put up or shut,where does the press truly stand?
non-resident trapper

Prairieville, LA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 7, 2011

Judged:

Our view,now we see the biased animal rights propaganda the press unapologetically promotes as they continue their collusion with the radical eco-criminal animal rights groups to the detriment of any positive,realistic animal welfare alternatives.If you talk the talk,you should walk the walk.Where are any articles on rabies in wild animal populations,articles on disease and starvation due to overpopulation,articles on the feral cat and dog problems in New Mexico,articles on NMDGF's efforts to promote legal,ethical,humane trapping in New Mexico,and articles on the tragedies,that are the local pet shelters and programs,as they struggle to humanely control the overpopulation of unwanted pets and strays?Why does your number one priority appear to be the total ban on legal,ethical,humane trappers and trapping in New Mexico?Why are you not pushing for the enforcement of these trapping regulations and the apprehension and prosecution of the criminals who violate the regulations?The press is in bed with these radical organizations and their editorial opinions are blatantly tainted with the stench of personal agendas and political propaganda.You do this newspaper a great disservice and the name of true journalism,as well,by your continued obvious crusade for these radical groups and their crusades,whose objectives go against common sense and the common good of the citizens of New Mexico.All the press in New Mexico should give this matter serious consideration,as their integrity and credibility fade in the eyes and minds of the citizens of New Mexico.
Non-resident trapper

Prairieville, LA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 14, 2011

Judged:

Here is a website to the study done on the effect of trapping on the Blue Range Mexican Wolf Recovery Program" www.wildearthguardians.org/site/DocServer/usg... ;

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••