Their View: Education spending up, pe...

Their View: Education spending up, performance stagnant

There are 43 comments on the Las Cruces Sun-News story from Feb 22, 2011, titled Their View: Education spending up, performance stagnant. In it, Las Cruces Sun-News reports that:

During her campaign, Gov. Susana Martinez said that she would not cut education.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Las Cruces Sun-News.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
TooBad

Chaparral, NM

#54 Mar 2, 2011
ABQmouth wrote:
<quoted text>
Schools have always moved at the pace of the slowest in the classroom. I go back a few years and it was that way in my school.
But what has changed since then is classroom size, discipline, social promotion, special and bi-lingual education. The public schools I attended were always underfunded, classroom size was around 40 students, corporal punishment ruled and the other programs like social promotion, special and bi-lingual ed were not existent. It was not until junior high that we were broken down into varying levels thus allowing the smartest to advance with their peers.
The union IS one of the main problems. They protect "bad" teachers and they fight efforts to reward high performing teachers. Teacher unions have done nothing for improving education, only improving the welfare of teachers. School administrators, who we look to for action and accountability, are working with one hand tied behind their backs because of unions.
You are correct that the unions have done nothing to improve education. The job of union is to improve the working conditions of the employee and to protect employees from being fired without just cause or due process. You sound like a foxnews groupie. Teacher unions, bad teachers and teacher tenure are the only ills of education. How simplistic and moronic.
Many of the teachers in the unions have completely opposite politic views from the union leaders so they refuse to join. Others have joined for the sole purpose of being protected from students, parents and adminstrators. Social promotion has been around since the 70's in the inner cities. Teachers themselves could improve edcuation if they were allowed on the school boards that decide the curriculum, policies, schedules etc... It is the politicians, parents and students that make these decisions not the educator. So if anyone has their hands tied behind their backs it's the teacher.
ABQmouth

Santa Fe, NM

#55 Mar 2, 2011
TooBad wrote:
<quoted text>
You are correct that the unions have done nothing to improve education. The job of union is to improve the working conditions of the employee and to protect employees from being fired without just cause or due process. You sound like a foxnews groupie. Teacher unions, bad teachers and teacher tenure are the only ills of education. How simplistic and moronic.
Many of the teachers in the unions have completely opposite politic views from the union leaders so they refuse to join. Others have joined for the sole purpose of being protected from students, parents and adminstrators. Social promotion has been around since the 70's in the inner cities. Teachers themselves could improve edcuation if they were allowed on the school boards that decide the curriculum, policies, schedules etc... It is the politicians, parents and students that make these decisions not the educator. So if anyone has their hands tied behind their backs it's the teacher.
Don't watch Fox or any of the other news channels. I read from business oriented websites.

You're right, the problems goes beyond bad teachers and unions. The school year needs to be much longer including more hours in the classroom. I would agree too that teachers need more flexibility in the classroom. I've heard this is a benefit of teaching in a private school.

I'm a former government employee. I oppose unions for all government employees. Just like the teacher's unions protect bad actors, the same is true in the government in general. Managers are afraid to evaluate accurately in fear of retribution thus everyone is an "exceptional" employee. All this does is encourage mediocracy.

A union is not needed to protect employees from over zealous managers. If the organization does not have sufficient checks and balances in place then lawsuits will follow thus forcing corrective actions. Public employee should be accountable to the people who pay them, the taxpayer. Unions are self serving, not taxpayer serving.

All government institutions need to do what Providence, RI did, send termination notices to all their school employees. Then hire back the ones they want at the beginning of the school year.
Sally

Albuquerque, NM

#56 Mar 2, 2011
Peralta de Peralta wrote:
Peralta de Peralta wrote:
<quoted text>
Hear, here! Our kids private school is run on LESS than $9K per student per year, graduates 100% of it's senior class [except for mid-year transfers], scores consistently high for both SATs and ACTs, sends OVER 80% of graduates to 4-year colleges, AND over 50% of graduates receive some sort of scholarship or grant money. There isn't a public school in the entire state that can top that!
And the costs for our kids education comes straight out of take-home pay, not property taxes.
<quoted text>
Congratulations! Were YOUR children in the Rio Grande High School district? How about Highland? Not all public schools are the same, but most of them are awful. Were either you or your husband a stay at home parent in a family where the other spouse made enough money that was possible so that one of you had more time to volunteer at your child's school? Maybe you could affort tutors?
How nice of you to judge our family. How nice of you to be self-righteous and not even bother to address my actual comment.
I attended Rio Grande High School. Graduated. Worked my way through college all the way through a Master's. Have enough credits I could probably get another if I wanted to. So what? RGHS was crappy then and it's even worse now. But I had a mom who didn't have to work [sacrifices; didn't have all the bright shiny toys some other kids had] and she was an education advocate.
You have a masters degree in what? You hate public education because that is where you got your education? Or you hate public education because........? What? You sound very confused.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bill Richardson Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Governor's board picks ignored law (Dec '08) Aug 20 Banu Telliman 13
News Freed US student - brutalised' by North Korea c... Jun '17 Ronald 30
News Hillary is best candidate for U.S. president (Feb '08) Jul '16 Responsibilty 938
News Once again, Hispanics were considered for VP. O... (Jul '16) Jul '16 All For Show 1
News Republican Martinez claims NM governor's seat (Nov '10) Jul '16 Lorenzo 247
News 'Double dippers' fought legislation (May '09) Apr '16 concerned citizen 56
News Who still takes global warming seriously? (Jan '10) Jan '16 Brian_G 30,922
More from around the web