With week left in session, Senate rem...

With week left in session, Senate remains target of governor's ire

There are 34 comments on the Las Cruces Sun-News story from Mar 13, 2011, titled With week left in session, Senate remains target of governor's ire. In it, Las Cruces Sun-News reports that:

It's a week before the legislative session ends. A frustrated governor praises the New Mexico House of Representatives for cooperating with the administration's wishes, but chastises the Senate for dragging its feet.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Las Cruces Sun-News.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Master Debater

Las Cruces, NM

#1 Mar 14, 2011
J-O-B-S
Border Native-American

Florissant, CO

#2 Mar 14, 2011
The Senate is the target of ire not just from the Governor but the majority of NM citizen over their anti-American shenanigans with illegal aliens and driver's licenses.
Yeah I Got an Opinion

Phoenix, AZ

#3 Mar 14, 2011
Susanna, govern don't dicate.
Not me

Brighton, MI

#4 Mar 14, 2011
Border Native-American wrote:
The Senate is the target of ire not just from the Governor but the majority of NM citizen over their anti-American shenanigans with illegal aliens and driver's licenses.
Speak for yourself. I don't care about illegal aliens and drivers licenses. If nobody had told me that illegals can get a drivers license, I never would have known it because it has ZERO effect on me. Explain your rage. Is it real, or just an emotion stoked by someone to get you to vote for them?
Duhmacrat Sanchez

Birmingham, MI

#5 Mar 14, 2011
Sanchez continued:..."I would encourage the governor to focus her energy on solving problems instead of merely exploiting them for partisan political purposes."

Duh what?

Duh, the licensing of illegals is a problem.
Duh, not having a voter id is a problem.
Duh, 70% of NM wants these two bills to pass.
Duh
Larry

Albuquerque, NM

#6 Mar 14, 2011
The state needs more leaders like Nava...she works for solutions rather than just working for "political gotcha's".
Retired Army

Las Cruces, NM

#7 Mar 14, 2011
Not me wrote:
<quoted text>
Speak for yourself. I don't care about illegal aliens and drivers licenses. If nobody had told me that illegals can get a drivers license, I never would have known it because it has ZERO effect on me. Explain your rage. Is it real, or just an emotion stoked by someone to get you to vote for them?
I am guessing that this problem has zero effect on you because:
You don't pay car insurance.
You don't pay taxes.
You don't vote.
You don't shop at Walmart.
You don't go to the hospital.

Lucky you.
Silverback

Santa Fe, NM

#9 Mar 14, 2011
Good job senate! Keep the guv in check. Shift the focus to generating jobs and alternative fuel sourcing. End poverty and hunger in NM. Good job Nava! Education improvements and progress are equally as important to the future of NM as the four other necesities mentioned above.
lets do it

Albuquerque, NM

#10 Mar 14, 2011
"guote"Sanchez continued: "Rather than tying up valuable legislative time on divisive issues, Gov. Martinez needs to get out of campaign mode and get down to the business of governing and working with the Legislature to create a comprehensive plan for the future. I would encourage the governor to focus her energy on solving problems instead of merely exploiting them for partisan political purposes."

This Sanchez guy is dense in the head. claiming Martinez is in campaigning politically mode.
And in what mode is he in???

In criminal mode, as he did not take his oath in office seriously and allows corruption, aiding and abetting is a crime. He is criminal.

Needs to leave office like NOW!!
Fred

Las Cruces, NM

#12 Mar 14, 2011
Not me wrote:
<quoted text>
If you think it has zero effect on you, you are completely out to lunch.
Fred

Las Cruces, NM

#13 Mar 14, 2011
Give them hell Governor Martinez.
Come the next election, the voters will help you show those Senators the door. We'll even instruct them not to let the door hit them in the butt on the way out.
Bigger than You

Birmingham, MI

#14 Mar 14, 2011
Really- wrote:
<quoted text>...create fear, anger and division rather than working towards a building society that can solve real problems...
You seem to think we are speaking and so concerned about the influx of just Mexican illegals. This issue is much broader and deeper than just one group of illegal persons. There are Saudi's, Iraqi's, Libyan's, Chinese, and many peoples from European countries using our drivers licenses as a free pass into America, this is not just a illegal Mexican national issue, it's a national security issue.

How will the people of our state live with themselves, more accurately, how will our legislators live with themselves if the next super threat to America, walks up to a NM DMV and gets a free drivers license to roam America without any scrutiny whatsoever.

This is the issue, not just concern from a few, but concern from the many.
Not me

Brighton, MI

#16 Mar 14, 2011
Retired Army wrote:
<quoted text>
I am guessing that this problem has zero effect on you because:
You don't pay car insurance.
You don't pay taxes.
You don't vote.
You don't shop at Walmart.
You don't go to the hospital.
Lucky you.
My car insurance has gone DOWN over that last few years.

My state taxes have stayed the same, my federal income taxes have gone DOWN.

I do vote. Illegals with drivers licenses don't prevent me from voting.

I shop at Walmart. Again, illegals with drivers licenses don't prevent me from shopping where I want to shop.

I don't go the the hospital because I'm healthy, not because of illegals with drivers licenses.

Illegals with drivers licenses have zero effect on me and I would't have even known they could get licenses if bigots like you didn't shout it from the rooftops because some politician stoked your anger in an effort to get you to vote for him or her. In other words, I don't care if illegals can get licenses or not. If it makes life better for another human being who didn't have the god-given privilege of being born in this country, then good for them!
Jaydon

Las Cruces, NM

#18 Mar 14, 2011
Not me wrote:
<quoted text>
Let one of them run into you on the highway and kill a family member or put you in the hospital for a week or month and find out that they have a drivers license but no insurance "which is the REASONING, of them obtaining a drivers license." while you are in the hospital wondering how to pay your bills, fighting with your insurance and worrying about your job,,,they are headed back to Mexico or whereever they came from and you cannot touch them..."THEN TELL US IT WILL HAVE ZERO EFFECT ON YOU!"...
Singer

Las Cruces, NM

#19 Mar 14, 2011
For everyone who seems to think that the issue of illegal aliens having drivers licenses is a no-never-mind thing, here is something to consider. If we as a state do not take control of the situation and issue D.L's to legal citizens, then we will have to prove we are U.S. citizens wherever we go by providing every scrap of I.D. we own because our own state issued drivers I.D. will be null and void to proving who we are. That, or we are issued a federal I.D. Is that what you really want?
Fred

Las Cruces, NM

#20 Mar 14, 2011
Singer wrote:
For everyone who seems to think that the issue of illegal aliens having drivers licenses is a no-never-mind thing, here is something to consider. If we as a state do not take control of the situation and issue D.L's to legal citizens, then we will have to prove we are U.S. citizens wherever we go by providing every scrap of I.D. we own because our own state issued drivers I.D. will be null and void to proving who we are. That, or we are issued a federal I.D. Is that what you really want?
Fortunately, I have a NM CDL. To get a CDL, you have to have proof of citizenship when it is issued. So that is a non-issue for me.
But it certainly should be an issue for everyone else.
Retired Army

Las Cruces, NM

#21 Mar 14, 2011
Diane Denish supported the illegal immigrants losing their NM licenses too. At least that is what she said when she spoke in Las Cruces during the election campaign.
MovingAlong

Albuquerque, NM

#22 Mar 14, 2011
Apparently the other 47 states which have enacted the laws the Gov is trying to enact must be all wrong. ONLY in NM can someone find arguements against this absolutely insane practice and allow such to continue!

I highly doubt the Gov will give up on this and we should help her by voting out these mentally archaic excuses for elected officials who support this driver's license fiasco!
Jose A

Las Cruces, NM

#23 Mar 14, 2011
I agree in vetoing the bill House Bill 78 that give permission to illegals to obtain a driver's license in New Mexico, they are trespassers. they are not immigrants, they are illegals. felons, violators of the law.,etc.,
I want to drive around the US and I don't want to be stopped by any officer and tell me that New Mexico driver's licences are not valid in any State.
Kosher Frank

United States

#25 Mar 14, 2011
$u$$ana is use to getting her way!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bill Richardson Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Governor's board picks ignored law (Dec '08) Aug '17 Banu Telliman 13
News Freed US student - brutalised' by North Korea c... (Jun '17) Jun '17 Ronald 30
News Hillary is best candidate for U.S. president (Feb '08) Jul '16 Responsibilty 938
News Once again, Hispanics were considered for VP. O... (Jul '16) Jul '16 All For Show 1
News Republican Martinez claims NM governor's seat (Nov '10) Jul '16 Lorenzo 247
News 'Double dippers' fought legislation (May '09) Apr '16 concerned citizen 56
News Who still takes global warming seriously? (Jan '10) Jan '16 Brian_G 30,922
More from around the web