New Mexico driver's license law fails to boost number of insured drivers

Full story: Fox News 15
When New Mexico began issuing driver's licenses to non-citizens in 2003, then-Governor Bill Richardson had argued the policy would reduce the high number of uninsured drivers in the state. Full Story
Disgusting

Kansas City, MO

#1 Sep 10, 2012
Richardson's ONLY reason was giving his beloved illegals licenses. the rest was pure b.s.
tomincali

Fresno, CA

#2 Sep 10, 2012
only goes to prove going against laws is in their blood. for some reason they will not obey a law unless forced at gun point.
bob

Gilbert, AZ

#3 Sep 10, 2012
Really think illegals give a crap about your health or car??? they are subject to the laws of this country . When in trouble with the law they will go to their home country until the heat is off even if it takes a few years . To come back and do something else.
Free is free

Albuquerque, NM

#4 Sep 10, 2012
Of course, it didn't have an impact! It was just pandering by an illegal-friendly former governor.
ronnie

Brigham City, UT

#5 Sep 10, 2012
It's very easy to spot and uninsured illegal. They drive at least 10 mph. below the speed limit, usually have a crap car. And have some kind of Mexican symbol on their cars.They never had to pay for Insurance and they never want to. They hit and run constantly , leaving a stream of injured or dead victims. Remember, they do not obey U.S. law.

“Phooey on Politicians”

Since: Jan 11

Politicians are full of BS!!

#6 Sep 11, 2012
ronnie wrote:
It's very easy to spot and uninsured illegal. They drive at least 10 mph. below the speed limit, usually have a crap car. And have some kind of Mexican symbol on their cars.They never had to pay for Insurance and they never want to. They hit and run constantly , leaving a stream of injured or dead victims. Remember, they do not obey U.S. law.
You have to have liability insurance (minimum) on a car to get it licensed. The problem arises with the illegal immigrants who get the insurance for 30 days and then let it lapse. I know because I got hit by one a couple of years ago, he had an insurance card, but it was expired. The police gave him a ticket for "no insurance" and let him go. I got stuck with the repair bill on my truck.

“Work hard at work worth doing.”

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

#7 Sep 11, 2012
Getting a license didn't change their mindset. They still think that they don't need to waste their money on something as important as insurance. If they hit you, they figure that is your responsibility to pay for the damages and medical bills, because they lack personal responsibility, they roll like that.
El Chingon

Brooklyn, NY

#9 Sep 11, 2012
Migraine_King wrote:
<quoted text>
You have to have liability insurance (minimum) on a car to get it licensed. The problem arises with the illegal immigrants who get the insurance for 30 days and then let it lapse. I know because I got hit by one a couple of years ago, he had an insurance card, but it was expired. The police gave him a ticket for "no insurance" and let him go. I got stuck with the repair bill on my truck.
Sounds like you need the uninsured/noninsured option on your policy. Its just a few bucks per month. I had a white kid hit me and he had no insurance but my insurance stepped up and made good. Thanks gieco.

“Phooey on Politicians”

Since: Jan 11

Politicians are full of BS!!

#10 Sep 11, 2012
El Chingon wrote:
<quoted text>
Sounds like you need the uninsured/noninsured option on your policy. Its just a few bucks per month. I had a white kid hit me and he had no insurance but my insurance stepped up and made good. Thanks gieco.
I have it now, but didn't at the time. Never thought I'd need it. BIG MISTAKE!!!!
see the light

El Paso, TX

#12 Sep 11, 2012
El Chingon wrote:
<quoted text>
Does anyone know if Mexicans have to pass a driving test? Why do cars get right of way in Mexico? Does anyone have insurance?
El Chingon

Brooklyn, NY

#14 Sep 11, 2012
see the light wrote:
<quoted text>Does anyone know if Mexicans have to pass a driving test? Why do cars get right of way in Mexico? Does anyone have insurance?
Had a friend move to Tijuana Mx, and he jumped through a bunch of hoops to qualify to get a driver license there. Funny part is that he paid a clerk $20 to help him understand the formal Spanish on the written test. The clerk interpreted but also stuck his finger next to the right answers. My friend passed with 100%! Then my friend had to take the driving test. He dropped a $20 on the passenger side floor. His "test" was to drive to the end of the alleyway then back up. He got his license in about 30 minutes.
randi p

Carlsbad, NM

#15 Sep 11, 2012
duh...............
pablo c

Carlsbad, NM

#16 Sep 11, 2012
El Chingon wrote:
<quoted text>
Had a friend move to Tijuana Mx, and he jumped through a bunch of hoops to qualify to get a driver license there. Funny part is that he paid a clerk $20 to help him understand the formal Spanish on the written test. The clerk interpreted but also stuck his finger next to the right answers. My friend passed with 100%! Then my friend had to take the driving test. He dropped a $20 on the passenger side floor. His "test" was to drive to the end of the alleyway then back up. He got his license in about 30 minutes.

not unusual for a 3rd world country, however a $10 would have had the same result
Dee Dee Dee

Emmaus, PA

#17 Sep 11, 2012
pablo c wrote:
<quoted text>
not unusual for a 3rd world country, however a $10 would have had the same result
Not for a "Gringo".
Pug

Justice, IL

#19 Sep 11, 2012
El Chingon wrote:
<quoted text>
La Mordida is alive and well. The bribe is part of the Mexican Culture

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bill Richardson Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Who still takes global warming seriously? (Jan '10) Mon Earthling-1 30,790
Republican Martinez claims NM governor's seat (Nov '10) Oct 19 Santa Fe looker 233
Rodella eyes Rio Arriba sheriff's job (Apr '09) Sep 22 Darian Valdevia 30
Letter: Governor Martinez has done a wonderful ... Jul '14 justice is just a... 5
Martinez is most transparent governor in New Me... Jun '14 seesi 4
Positions count, but style wins (Jan '08) May '14 Top Of Mom 2
NM-Gov: Susana Martinez (R) Goes After Mother J... (Apr '14) Apr '14 justice is just a... 1

Bill Richardson People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE