Song about prodigal's father

Song about prodigal's father

Posted in the Bill Gaither Forum

Gawain

Milwaukee, WI

#1 Feb 28, 2007
I am trying to find out the title of a song written from the perspective of the father of the "Prodigal Son." I believe I heard it in a Gaithers arrangement, probably in the 1970s. I may want to purchase a recording that includes that song. I don't know whether either of the Gaithers wrote it, but I'm pretty sure the recording I recall was theirs. Some words: "Rejoice, rejoice, my son is coming home again!"
Jim Lowery

Richmond, VA

#2 Jun 4, 2007
Gawain wrote:
I am trying to find out the title of a song written from the perspective of the father of the "Prodigal Son." I believe I heard it in a Gaithers arrangement, probably in the 1970s. I may want to purchase a recording that includes that song. I don't know whether either of the Gaithers wrote it, but I'm pretty sure the recording I recall was theirs. Some words: "Rejoice, rejoice, my son is coming home again!"
I came to this entry looking for the words of that song so I wouldn't have to type them out.:-)
Perhaps the request has already been answered, but in case it hasn't...and for the record, the song, "Rejoice! Rejoice!" is by Moose Smith, and is copyright 1976 by Housetop Music. I know it in a 1980 arrangement by Don Wyrtzen, originally published by Singspiration/Zondervan, and included in the collection (and recording) "Rhapsody in Praise, Vol. 2".

The first stanza and refrain: "The day has come- the day for which I've wept and prayed,/The time to shout- my joy has now arrived;/My son's come home- his face on the horizon,/and my joy is full because he is alive.// Rejoice! Rejoice! My son is coming home again!/Rejoice! rejoice! Go kill the fatted calf;/Rejoice! rejoice! my son is coming home again,/Rejoice! rejoice! rejoice on his behalf."

The second stanza describes the father's joy at seeing his son "though tears are in my eyes." The bridge is a paraphrase of Luke 15:22-23.

Apart from the recording of the choral version, I know of at least one other recording- by Mr. Smith, but I have no information on it.

Jim Lowery
[email protected]
john acuff

Smartt, TN

#3 Jul 30, 2007
I have been looking for this song for a long time. I even asked Henry and Hazel who i first heard do it.

how do i find it on a cd

john acuff
country lawyer
Lynda

Morris, AL

#4 Jan 13, 2008
I would like the sheet music to this song. How can I purchase it?
Jim Lowery

Richmond, VA

#5 Jan 19, 2008
WHOOPS!!!
My error to anyone looking for the music for this song.
It is in Rhapsody in Praise, Vol. ONE. Singspiration 4406.
I apologize for the confusion I may have caused.

There are currently (Jan.'08) many copies of this collection for resale at www.youngsmusic.com . This is a music store in Pennsylvania that sells music from "cleaned out" choir libraries. I have used them on numerous occasions and have found them reputable.

Please accept my apologies.
Jim Lowery
[email protected]
Jim Lowery

Richmond, VA

#6 Jan 19, 2008
OK, I am losing it!
"Rejoice, Rejoice" IS in Volume TWO!!

Jim Lowery
Jim Lowery wrote:
WHOOPS!!!
My error to anyone looking for the music for this song.
It is in Rhapsody in Praise, Vol. ONE. Singspiration 4406.
I apologize for the confusion I may have caused.
There are currently (Jan.'08) many copies of this collection for resale at www.youngsmusic.com . This is a music store in Pennsylvania that sells music from "cleaned out" choir libraries. I have used them on numerous occasions and have found them reputable.
Please accept my apologies.
Jim Lowery
[email protected]
Marie

New York, NY

#7 Feb 5, 2008
William Harness has a CD set called THE EARLY YEARS, which contains a great rendition of the song REJOICE! REJOICE!. He is a professional singer who sings in many styles (older & contemporary) and offers great songs and prices on his CDs. The web site page for THE EARLY YEARS CD set is http://www.effectnet.com/whsc/pg000012.htm
aaron rawley

Canton, IL

#8 Jul 29, 2008
i been looking for that paticular song too for 15 years or so i heard it on a christian radio station in the 80's
Brent Beasley

Portland, TX

#9 Mar 2, 2013
Thomas Steven "Moose" Smith wrote this song, and a whole musical to go with it, called "Can you tell me the zip of that faraway land." His style is Southern Rock, a bit like Leon Russell. He had been the music director on the 700 Club (or PTL Club). He had several albums that he wrote and recorded. He is now living in Nashville and teaches music in school. I grew up admiring him--he lived down the street from us. Someone has uploaded his music at this website:
http://blog.wfmu.org/freeform/2007/11/365-day...
Garry Kizer

Pasadena, TX

#10 Jan 29, 2014
I remember that song sung by either Roger or Coleman McDuff in the '70s. The singer's friends/contemporaries called him the singing brillo pad because of his grey afro style hair.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bill Gaither Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Gaither Vocal Band will highlight concert in Ca... (Jun '15) Jun '15 JBLONG 1
News News & Notes (Feb '10) Oct '14 Music Acoustic Guy 11
News Low attendance doesn't stop Bonifay Southern Go... (Jul '14) Sep '14 fran 4
News Anthony Burger, 44; Pianist Played With Gospel ... (Feb '06) May '14 PAULINE 27
News Gaither's latest Homecoming (Mar '09) Sep '13 Ron 6
News Faith in the music (Mar '10) Aug '13 bootsrandolph 3
News Southern gospel with Bill Gaither (Nov '10) Feb '13 HarleyTeeFord 4
More from around the web