Bill Cosby says Trayvon Martin case is about gun ownership, not race

Apr 16, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Christian Science Monitor

Comedian Bill Cosby says the Trayvon Martin case is not about racism, it is about gun ownership.

Comments
21 - 23 of 23 Comments Last updated Apr 22, 2012
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Intent

New Albany, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 21, 2012

Judged:

OregunSux wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course it is about gun ownership and gun carrying and gun toting.
If Zimmerman had not been carrying a gun with him he would have been much less likely to pursue Trayvon in the first place. Toting a gun is like liquid courage. It makes you blind to reality and much more likely to do something rash.
Case in point? Duh.
Zimmerman and Trayvon would both be much better off today had Zimmerman not been carrying a gun.
You totally missed. I carry because I don't like being a victim. You think a gun makes me someone different. I carry because I am they type person to carry to defend myself. I don't do drugs and putting them in my pocket does not in any way make me want to use drugs. My gun is just a tool to help even the odds against being a victim or dead. Zimmerman was a defender of his community, having the tools to help him do that sometimes include having a gun. Removing guns worked well for New York, D.C., and Chicago right? Find a new forum because you have no idea of what you are talking about on this one. Maybe flower gardening.

“Now thats a tin hat!”

Since: Oct 07

Blue Ridge Mountains

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 22, 2012

Bubbletoes wrote:
<quoted text>
Very good point. As permitted gun toters, we have a responsibility to (try our best) to stay clear of trouble...period.
I would think this philosophy/POV should be part of every CCW training course; it was in mine. In a nutshell, you should not do anything with a gun that you wouldn't do without one. It should not embolden you to go to places you would not go with out it. It should not make you more comfortable getting into fights with strangers; to the contrary, it should make you less-likely to engage in trouble with others, shoot your munth-off etc.
Zimmerman may get off if SYG is judged valid in this case. But convicted or not, it seems to most observers that he did not show common sense by following TM. The trouble is not that he was armed, it was that he wasn't doing the smart thing. It's called Community 'watch', not community follow and engage.
I have entered a new realm where I see a niche for an individual based behavior gun control law.

While I consider any law prohibiting the carry of a gun infringement, I can see an opportunity to address the operation of the gun.
If I operate my gun in public, I had best be at the range, or stopping a predator.

If I am stopping a predator, nothing in my previous behavior should have "allowed" this shooting to occur.

For example, Zimmerman.

He should have stayed in his truck. He should have stayed on 911.

We know he obeyed the 911 guy, at least until he hung up on him.

We do not know "who" started the fight, but this is irrelevant.

Normal self defense rules apply here.

At a "point" in the fight, we have the victim (zimmerman) yelling for help, while he is on his back on the ground. We have evidence that does not disclude this event, and we have en eye witness who said, " the guy in the red sweater is on the ground getting his head pounded into the ground by the guy in the hoody.

At that point in time, we have established that Zimmerman want to break off the fight (again, whether he started it is irrelevant) and that Trayvon is attempting to inflict serious injury.

And Zimmerman does not have the means to back away.

So he shoots. Once.
Showing remarkable restraint. The cops would have emptied their magazine.

But there is no doubt that Zimmerman let a non violent encounter turn into a self defense killing.

We do have a high obligation to see that things don't get out of hand. We know how bad things can get, and little testosterone bot over there does not.

Zimmerman let things get out of hand.

What kind of law, based on individual action, would help encourage the few among us who do like vigilante work to take the high road and just be an armed citizen?

Is this law even feasible?

“Constitutionist/ SAF”

Since: Mar 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 22, 2012

GET OFF YOUR HIGH HORSE...KEEP YOUR SELF RIGHTEOUSNESS TO YOURSELF.

A person being beaten doesn't have to do anything except try to protect their well being.

Exercising a right mentioned in the BOR has no obligation to anyone.

Why do you always defend the largest most antigun group of Americans ?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Bill Cosby Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Dristiliaris alone in pipeline opposition Jul '14 Good for her 2
Jonah Hill apologizes for gay slur to paparazzo Jun '14 Sneaky Pete 17
Bill Cosby for U.S. Comic Laureate May '14 Stanley Blaster 1
Bill Cosby Tells Don Lemon Black Men Need To Ra... (Sep '13) Feb '14 Capree 248
Anyone have Bill Cosby's address? (Nov '06) Dec '13 Debbie Shapiro 19
'Mr Cooper' Mark Curry Saved By Bill Cosby (Feb '07) Sep '13 Quintin 7
Bill Cosby is coming to Kansas City (Sep '13) Sep '13 Truth 1

Search the Bill Cosby Forum:
•••
•••