Evolution Spat Nixes Ben Stein Speech

Evolution Spat Nixes Ben Stein Speech

There are 179 comments on the www.newsmax.com story from Feb 4, 2009, titled Evolution Spat Nixes Ben Stein Speech. In it, www.newsmax.com reports that:

Comedian Ben Stein has withdrawn as the University of Vermont's commencement speaker because of complaints about his critical views on evolution in favor of intelligent design.

UVM President Daniel Fogel said he chose Stein based on the warm response to a lecture he gave on campus last spring. Fogel said, however, he was deluged with e-mail messages from people offended by Stein's views of science.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.newsmax.com.

First Prev
of 9
Next Last

Since: Dec 07

Location hidden

#1 Feb 4, 2009
This is because the secular Darwinists are afraid of any competing theories. The same thing happened when Alfred Lothar Wegener tried to publish his theory of continental drift (plate tectonics). Scientists tried to have him shunned and organized boycotts of any of his works. It took from 1915 to the 1960's before his work was accepted. Now it's an accepted fact. But no thanks to the scientists of the day. They refused to listen to any ideas that did not fit with what they knew as "fact." They refused to allow his theories to be taught. They tried to keep his ideas out of publication. They organized a symposium specifically in opposition to the continental drift hypothesis. Sound familiar? Now the scientists are doing the same to any challenge to Darwin. So much for open minds from the secularists.
shadow

Montgomery, AL

#2 Feb 4, 2009
wow i guess its its only free speech if everyone agrees with it. and all you need to do to stop it is pass a bill even if its unconstitutional or call the guy and bitch about it. geuss this is all thats left of america. whiny children who dont belive you have the right to free speech NOT THE RIGHT TO BE NOT OFFENDED! these guys need to grow some balls not everyones going to agree with you. they aint always right you aint either. if stuff like this keeps up in the the future if americas still here (i sure as hell wont be) its just going to be a nation of pussys who bitch whenever things dont go there way and get offended by everything. or is it already HERE?
Matthew

Hanover Park, IL

#3 Feb 4, 2009
Stein really could have been a fun speaker, but he's lost his mind with this creationism stuff.

Since: Apr 08

Walla Walla, WA

#4 Feb 4, 2009
NiteClerk wrote:
This is because the secular Darwinists are afraid of any competing theories. The same thing happened when Alfred Lothar Wegener tried to publish his theory of continental drift (plate tectonics). Scientists tried to have him shunned and organized boycotts of any of his works. It took from 1915 to the 1960's before his work was accepted. Now it's an accepted fact. But no thanks to the scientists of the day. They refused to listen to any ideas that did not fit with what they knew as "fact." They refused to allow his theories to be taught. They tried to keep his ideas out of publication. They organized a symposium specifically in opposition to the continental drift hypothesis. Sound familiar? Now the scientists are doing the same to any challenge to Darwin. So much for open minds from the secularists.
I'm curious? Do you call the folks who study gravity "Newtonists"? Do you call folks who study electromagnetism "Faradayists"? How about folks who work with string theory - call them "Kakuists"?

But seriously, I would welcome teaching all valid theories for the diversification of life on earth. All you need to do now, is post these other theories we aren't teaching.

“That's just MY opinion...”

Since: Jan 07

Location hidden

#5 Feb 4, 2009
NiteClerk wrote:
Wegener's hypothesis was not accepted because he was unable to offer a mechanism. Once a mechanism was discovered, the idea was accepted. Similarly ID is an idea for which no evidence has been found. If proponents could offer a convincing mechanism or evidence of an actual occurrence of ID, the idea would be accepted.

Rather than search for the nonexistent evidence, ID proponents prefer to whine about how unfairly their silly notion is treated by legitimate Science.

As of now, "Darwinists" are not "afraid of any competing theories", because there are none. Live with it.
jo jo

Anchorage, AK

#6 Feb 4, 2009
I designed the world !!! I took atomic forces in my hand and made ants !!!
Scutter

Poway, CA

#7 Feb 4, 2009
NiteClerk wrote:
You speak from ignorance about how solid Evolution is as a fact and a theory. To put it in perspective I've reworked your quote a bit to show how silly you sound:

This is because the secular Round Earthers are afraid of any competing theories. The same thing happened when Samuel Birley Rowbotham tried to publish his theory of the flat Earth (flat Earth Society). Scientists tried to have him shunned and organized boycotts of any of his works. It took from 1956 to the Present and yet his work has yet to be accepted. Scientists of the day refuse to listen to any ideas that did not fit with what they knew as "fact." They refused to allow his theories to be taught. They tried to keep his ideas out of publication. They treat him like a crackpot. Sound familiar? Now the scientists are doing the same to any challenge to Darwin. So much for open minds from the secularists.
Deo Vindice

Sacramento, CA

#8 Feb 4, 2009
The liberal left has absolutely no tolerence for anything and anyone !!!!

They preach it - but never abide by it.

Their motto is:
"Don't do as I do, rather do as I say".

The Honorable Doctor Michael Savage points it out succinctly;

LIBERALISM IS A MENTAL DISORDER

Liberals are the Kool-Aid drinkers; their noses always buried sh*t deep in the ones ahead of them.
Scutter

Poway, CA

#9 Feb 4, 2009
Deo Vindice wrote:
Their motto is:
Liberals are the Kool-Aid drinkers; their noses always buried sh*t deep in the ones ahead of them.
Non sequitur. Evolution isn't Liberal or Coservative any more than Physics, Astronomy or Chemestry is Liberal or Conservative.

You spout ignorance. In doing so, you make all Conservatives look like ignorant fools. I'm sure it's not appreciated by the more educated conservatives on the forum.

Since: Nov 08

United States

#10 Feb 4, 2009
NiteClerk wrote:
This is because the secular Darwinists are afraid of any competing theories.
What competing theory? Can you please point us to a peer reviewed scientific article that lays out this competing theory? Can you please show us any research being done using this theory?

The same thing happened when Alfred Lothar Wegener tried to publish his theory of continental drift (plate tectonics). Scientists tried to have him shunned and organized boycotts of any of his works. It took from 1915 to the 1960's before his work was accepted. Now it's an accepted fact. But no thanks to the scientists of the day. They refused to listen to any ideas that did not fit with what they knew as "fact." They refused to allow his theories to be taught. They tried to keep his ideas out of publication. They organized a symposium specifically in opposition to the continental drift hypothesis. Sound familiar? Now the scientists are doing the same to any challenge to Darwin. So much for open minds from the secularists.
Did Wegener try to force his views into science classes through political maneuvers? No. He continued to science and present his ideas to scientists. That is the way it works. This is the very thing that creationists and ID proponents avoid. They purposefully avoid debate, all the while claiming that they are being censored. There is nothing to censor because they have no research, no theory, and no argument.

Since: Nov 08

United States

#11 Feb 4, 2009
Primewonk wrote:
<quoted text>
How about folks who work with string theory - call them "Kakuists"?
HERESY!!!!

Everyone knows that they are Wittenists.

Since: Dec 06

Urbana, Illinois

#12 Feb 4, 2009
Deo Vindice wrote:
Their motto is:
Well... You've successfully responded like a 6-year old.

You need to read some books; try some basic geology, astronomy, and biology texts. You might look at Shubin's "Your Inner Fish", or Zimmmer's "Evolution: Triumph of an idea".

“Snooze you lose”

Since: Mar 07

Sunnyvale, CA

#13 Feb 4, 2009
Deo Vindice wrote:
Their motto is:
So you're equating the "liberal left" with people who believe in the scientific method?

Where does that leave the "conservative right"?
frank miller

United States

#14 Feb 4, 2009
Stein is a Jew! What do you expect? Repudiate the
first Testament of 6 days +1 day Creationism? This man is a comedian by profession! He knows
very well the ironies of life! So in a comencement
speech, much like Billy Cristal who oftens chari-
catures his own jewishness in stand up comedy,
Ben Stein could weave ID with Evolution in a humorous context, to show students that it is
a sign of intelligence to hold 2 opposite points
of view! The fact that he doesn't, shows that underneath his affability lays an ardent Zionist!
F.M.

“Maccullochella macquariensis”

Since: May 08

Melbourne, Australia

#15 Feb 5, 2009
NiteClerk wrote:
OK. Please tell me all about these scientific theories competing with the theory of evolution by natural selection. I'm all ears...

<sound of crickets chirping...>

chirp chirp...

chirp chirp ...

chirp chirp...

chirp chirp...

“Darwin died for your sins”

Since: Aug 08

Nunya

#16 Feb 5, 2009
NiteClerk wrote:
Boy, you Fred Phelpsists sure like that whole perecution doctrine, don't you?
Curtis Lowe

Montgomery, AL

#17 Feb 5, 2009
So much for free speech. I guess liberals believe in THEIR right to free speech only.
The Dude

UK

#18 Feb 5, 2009
Uh, everyone realises it was BEN STEIN HIMSELF who decided against going and therefore cancelled his speech?

Now, what the heck is this "theory" of ID that everyone's on about?

“Maccullochella macquariensis”

Since: May 08

Melbourne, Australia

#19 Feb 5, 2009
The Dude wrote:
Uh, everyone realises it was BEN STEIN HIMSELF who decided against going and therefore cancelled his speech?
Now, what the heck is this "theory" of ID that everyone's on about?
chirp chirp...

chirp chirp...

chirp chirp...
MIDutch

Waterford, MI

#20 Feb 5, 2009
Curtis Lowe wrote:
So much for free speech. I guess liberals believe in THEIR right to free speech only.
Ben Stein was not FORCED to cancel the engagement by the police or some shadow government agency.

He decided not to speak. He could very easily have exercised his right to free speech, but he choose not to.

On a related note, IF there were some great conspiracy to stifle free speech the movie 'Expelled' would never have been made, let alone shown in theaters around the country. The reason it did so badly (other than it being a real stinker of a movie) was due to the fact that the right to free speech does NOT guarantee that anyone will listen, and if the premise of the message is as vague and shallow and unsupported as "creationism/ID" then it was almost a foregone conclusion that the box office receipts would be pretty poor.

If the "creationism/ID" crowd are going to use their right of free speech to spread mistruths, anti-science propaganda and lies (which they are famous for), then the scientific community and all those who value science have the right to speak up in defense of science.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 9
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ben Stein Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Ben Stein loses NY Times column over endorsement (Aug '09) Dec '12 dustyolman 8
News Ben Stein: San Diego region 'the next Hong Kong' (Sep '12) Sep '12 Richard 1
News Book helps investors find real diversity (Jul '11) Jul '11 badshrimp 1
News Ben Stein optimistic about High Desert (Oct '09) Oct '09 NonPartisan 2
News Sting takes stand on Iran (Aug '09) Aug '09 levelheaded 2
News 'Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed' (Ben Stein ... (Apr '09) Apr '09 Jammercolo 12
News 'Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed' (Ben Stein ... (Apr '08) Mar '09 Skunk River Joe 4,068
More from around the web