Today's boomers were yesterday's inno...

Today's boomers were yesterday's innovators

There are 2 comments on the San Bernardino County Sun story from May 29, 2010, titled Today's boomers were yesterday's innovators. In it, San Bernardino County Sun reports that:

Like it or not, those four words typically epitomize the feelings of younger generations when it comes to baby boomers and technology.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at San Bernardino County Sun.

Art

Riverbank, CA

#1 May 30, 2010
It is funny how selective the boomers are about their technology. My father, a boomer, enjoys and is confident with some technologies but is still stumped as to how to activate an email account I created for him. I agree with the post- there has to be some significant value to technology, or the boomers are likely to reject it. Since they have lived without some of these innovations, they are far more aware of the unintended consequences of new products than those who haven't lived without them. One example the article mentions is the cordless phone. The benefit- that you can walk around the house and continue your conversation or that you can have your phone with you wherever you go. The unintended consequence- when the phone is mounted to the wall of the kitchen, it's very hard to misplace it. Of course, there will come a point where boomers are forced to accept new technology. Part of it will be due to obsolescence of what they are comfortable with, such as a rotary dial telephone. The remainder of it will be forced upon them by their changing needs. For example, reminders to take medication written on a paper calendar will be forgotten if the paper calendar is forgotten as well. As family moves to digital pictures, email and voice mails, boomers who cannot access these will be isolated unless they find some way to access them without more difficulty than they are worth. The technology that provides a way to maintain the connection with family while at the same time providing other benefits that is easy to use will be the technology that boomers will appreciate and use.
Thanks for the interesting post!
Art

Riverbank, CA

#2 May 30, 2010
Sorry, I meant to include my email address- [email protected] Full disclosure, my employer sells these systems- GrandCare Systems. I found this article while searching for news or opinions about what technology boomers will use. Currently, GrandCare is the microwave oven when we're still excited about the toaster oven! Eventually, everyone will know about it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ben Harper Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Ben Harper's uniquely musical upbringing set hi... (May '10) May '10 we are all related 1
Lay There And Hate Me - David Letterman Perform... (Mar '10) Mar '10 Jamler3 1
gov't mule (Dec '09) Dec '09 GOVT MULE 1
News TV/FILM: Larger Than Life in 3d Dave Matthews, ... (Dec '09) Dec '09 blatchy 2
Ben Harper featured on the new Taj Mahal album! (Oct '08) Oct '08 Heads Up Internat... 1
Taj Mahal Free Autographed Acoustic Guitar! (Oct '08) Oct '08 Heads Up Internat... 1
Ben Harper on Taj Mahal's New Album Maestro (Sep '08) Sep '08 Jeff 1
More from around the web