Concert Review | Ben Folds: Live song...

Concert Review | Ben Folds: Live songs fall just short of CD | The Columbus Dispatch

There are 4 comments on the Columbus Dispatch story from Nov 8, 2010, titled Concert Review | Ben Folds: Live songs fall just short of CD | The Columbus Dispatch. In it, Columbus Dispatch reports that:

The songs from Ben Folds' new album didn't get the biggest ovation during the nearly two hours he held court last night in the Lifestyle Communities Pavilion.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Columbus Dispatch.

NW Leo

Toledo, OH

#1 Nov 9, 2010
Lonely Avenue is Nick Hornby's world... Ben Folds is just there visiting.
LOSU

Columbus, OH

#2 Nov 9, 2010
I agree about the new stuff- it seemed as if none of us had really become very familiar with the Folds/Hornby stuff... I was shocked that there was no "Brick", also.

He was more amazing then I had even imagine, though, and I had super high expectations... played the best of the older stuff. Have waited so long to see him, and it was even better than I thought it would be.
NW Leo

Toledo, OH

#3 Nov 9, 2010
Folds has a fine body of work in his own right and I do enjoy his collaborations with William Shatner and Ben Folds. If I'm reading this review correctly, it sounds like Ben played the more straightforward rocker stuff from Lonely Avenue, rather than the songs most like a Hornby story (Picture Window, From Above, and Belinda -which did get performed). I do hope some of the a cappella singers from Ohio University were able to attend the show!
T-O double D

Columbus, OH

#4 Nov 9, 2010
Trust me Ive seen Ben Folds enough to know he didn't fall anywhere short of his new CD. I personally thought the new tracks were really good and enjoyed hearing them for the 1st time :) but what was up with the LC's soundboard staff? seriously!?! you ruined his intro! and you could tell Ben was like uhhh wtf? this is pretty crappy and put him in kind of a funk during the 1st song since he didnt start show off way he intended to. After that though it was smooth sailing, Ben did his thing pounded the piano and I thought overall was a great show. Of course live performances aren't going to sound exactly the same as they do on a professionally recorded CD especially when you have string arrangements on Lonely Avenue by Paul Buckmaster! so of course the songs live with his band are going to sound a little less filling/different than a recorded album with an orchestra and numerous backup singers. Anyways keep listening to Folds and see ya'll tomorrow in Cincy! Peace!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ben Folds Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 'The Sing-Off' winner: Pentatonix tunes out Dar... (Dec '11) Dec '11 Emilie Sander 1
News Ben Folds to rock the Klein (Apr '10) Apr '10 Non Sequitur 12
News Ben Folds teams with writer Nick Hornby to crea... (Mar '10) Mar '10 ricky carmichael 1
News Franken raises more than $650K for recount fund (Jul '09) Jul '09 Senator Who 3
News Harmonic bliss 'unfolds' in a cappella covers (May '09) May '09 Mike 1
Ben Folds Concert Photos (Apr '09) Apr '09 Tampa Bay Metromix 1
News Live Reviews | The Howlies, Ben Folds, Morrissey (Mar '09) Mar '09 A Simple Complex 1