Lynn University prodigy, 17, among thousands preparing for grad...

Boca Raton She could multiply double-digit numbers by age 4 and could play Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata when she was 5. Now 17, Amanda Albert has cemented her status as a prodigy. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Perspective

AOL

#23 Apr 27, 2007
WHY wrote:
Why do we want out kids to grow up faster than they should? I don't care how smart they are, they are adults FOREVER and a kid ONLY for 18 years! She'll be a statistic in the future and NOT the kind I want my kids to be! GOOD LUCK!
Perhaps you missed the part of the article where Amanda's mom said that she NEVER had to tell her to practice a day in her life. That's a testament to Amanda's own will, desire, and focus. It is also a testament to homeschooling, which allows the freedom to learn at the pace of the student.

Amanda Albert has done exceedingly well with all of it. The article states that she's not a partier, and is devoted to her music. Is it that hard to find children who are actually following their dreams? We see the same thing in a physical, rather than intellectual sense, from Olympians; Champion gymnasts, figure skaters, etc. Amanda Albert is persuing her own intellectual dreams of Olympic proportions.

Amanda Albert's parents have NOT pushed her. They proudly encouraged her, and have had faith and confidence in her abilities as a human. They have not tried to force her to act like a child, and have not squashed, squandered, or hindered her abilities. They are allowing Amanda to blossom at her own pace, which just happens to be faster than most of the other young folks around her.

CONGRATULATIONS, AMANDA ALBERT! May you always have the ability to let the naysayers roll easily off your back, for you will go far despite their myopic opinions. I'm proud of you, young lady! Don't EVER stop learning and furthering your horizons! You are the brilliant future that this world so desperately needs.

THIS was a FANTASTIC STORY!! There are not enough windows into the lives of GOOD people with inspirational stories.
E FInley

West Palm Beach, FL

#24 Apr 27, 2007
Chris Matthews? Doesn;t he realize Lynn is a fake university for rich kids?

“This is America, Speak English”

Since: Apr 07

Weston, FL

#25 Apr 27, 2007
You go girl
Mec

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#26 Apr 27, 2007
Excellent person. Very good news finally
Disgusted

United States

#27 Apr 27, 2007
I cannot believe the negativity going on here. Just be happy for her already. If you can't be stay away from this type of forum.
Lynn Alum

Boca Raton, FL

#28 Apr 27, 2007
I attended Lynn University in the 90s. It happened to be a wonderful school and experience. I also attended FAU and found that it was very impersonal. Many of the professors at Lynn also teach at FAU, and therefore some of you idiots who put Lynn down are also putting down our state university system unknowingly, as well. A school is only as good as its professors.

Yes, Lynn has many rich students as well as a large percentage of international students. What a great experience it was attending that school. The only negative, of course, was the tuition costs - a fact that will probably have me in debt forever; however I would not trade it for the world.

This young lady is someone that we should all be happy to hear about; my guess - my EDUCATED guess - is that all the negativity in this column shows the lack of education on the part of the writers - and is no doubt written by someone - or, some people - who would look out the window at 12 noon on a sunny day, and claim it was nighttime!
Melissa

United States

#29 Apr 27, 2007
Disgusted wrote:
I cannot believe the negativity going on here. Just be happy for her already. If you can't be stay away from this type of forum.
I think people are just reacting to the fact that it just doesn't seem like such a big deal to graduate from such a lightweight school. It hardly seems newsworthy.

Since: Apr 07

Pompano Beach, FL

#30 Apr 27, 2007
What a bunch of j a c k a s s e s you all are that are diminishing the accomplishments of this child. What's the matter, jealous??
Hmmmmm

AOL

#31 Apr 27, 2007
Mrs C wrote:
Why is this news? My nephew graduated from Brown, an Ivy League school, with a degree in mathematics at the age of 17 and none of us called the newspaper.
Sounds to me like someone is a little bit jealous of the accolades this bright, talented, and well-gounded young lady is receiving...
Hmmm

Orlando, FL

#32 Apr 27, 2007
Hmmmmm wrote:
<quoted text>
Sounds to me like someone is a little bit jealous of the accolades this bright, talented, and well-gounded young lady is receiving...
Sounds to me like someone is related to the Lynn graduate and is trying to make a big deal out of an inflated community college degree.....
Josh Albert

United States

#33 Aug 10, 2007
I find this funny to read,I am Amanda's brother!I thank the people that are not negative.By the way Amanda and I are Republicans!

P.S
It is me.
random

Evanston, IL

#34 Sep 25, 2007
wow. you do realize that Amanda can see all of these postings. I'm kind of disturbed that so many people are trying to put her down, when it's so pbvious that even if the school wasn't Harvard SHE GRADUATED AT SEVENTEEN!!! Any of you try entering college at thirteen years old?

I didn't think so.

She's at an amazing school now, suckers, so stuff it.

- a friend
Deeny

Roseau, Dominica

#35 Apr 22, 2008
RON wrote:
Lynn University? LYNN UNIVERSITY?? What the hell is LYNN UNIVERSITY?
You are just too jealous of the young lady!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Beethoven Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Beethoven's 'Eroica,' A Bizarre Revelation Of P... Aug '14 Whatta Crock 5
Classical Beat: The conservative classical musi... (Sep '13) Sep '13 John 1
'I'm not Asperger's. I'm Connor.' (Feb '13) Feb '13 Another Vaccine V... 1
Beethoven. A Rare Portrait. (Jan '13) Jan '13 MauricePColgan 3
Kids play Mozart with trashy violins (Dec '12) Dec '12 cardinal red 2
Oratorio Society of Estes Park 2012 spring conc... (Nov '12) Nov '12 Steve Nickel 1
Ha Noi heralds visit of leading orchestra (Oct '12) Oct '12 urglee duckin 1
•••
•••

Beethoven People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••