Grant Park Music Fest begins in high style

Full story: Chicago Tribune
To judge from the large, eager crowds that turned out for the opening week's concerts of the 74th Grant Park Music Festival at Millennium Park , patrons have come to appreciate the bargain they are getting at ... Full Story
ozlock

Chicago, IL

#1 Jun 16, 2008
Mr von Rhein's review is, as usual, on the mark....I think. Problem is that there is such a great amount of noise, which we think emanates from the construction at the Blue Cross building, that it is difficult to know definitively what happened on stage.

Moreover, from the standpoint of the sound system, I still think that the balance is greatly wanting. There is a lack of presence. The flute overwhelms the viola section, the clarinets are practically inaudible--and don't even sound like clarinets.

The soloists all sounded scratchy, and that included the violin soloist in the Barber.

Nevertheless it is clear that Mr Kalmar has brought the orchestra to great heights. Notwithstanding the audio problems it was clear that the performances were musically superior. Fortunately the chorus came through loud and clear and was magnificent in the "Missa Solemnis."

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Beethoven Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Beethoven's 'Eroica,' A Bizarre Revelation Of P... Aug '14 Whatta Crock 5
Classical Beat: The conservative classical musi... (Sep '13) Sep '13 John 1
'I'm not Asperger's. I'm Connor.' (Feb '13) Feb '13 Another Vaccine V... 1
Beethoven. A Rare Portrait. (Jan '13) Jan '13 MauricePColgan 3
Kids play Mozart with trashy violins (Dec '12) Dec '12 cardinal red 2
Oratorio Society of Estes Park 2012 spring conc... (Nov '12) Nov '12 Steve Nickel 1
Ha Noi heralds visit of leading orchestra (Oct '12) Oct '12 urglee duckin 1
More from around the web