Has Barry Inspired You?
JeannieC

Phoenix, AZ

#1 Jul 26, 2011
Just wondering if any of you out there were ever inspired by Barry's music or interviews? I was ...
I am an artist also, but not a singer/musician - oh, no! Can't hold a tune for crap! I am a glass artist, mostly making unique glass beads and jewelry items (but hoping to expand to sculptures and blown items soon!)
Anyway, I was always fascinated with glass and glass artists, but didn't actually discover my passion and artistic talent with glass until I was almost 40, a few years ago now.
I had a steady, well-paying "job" but my passion for glass was so intense and it was in my head constantly whenever I was not actually on the torch and creating.
I would listen to Barry's music often while torching and found it calming but also an inspiration for my creativity. And, I don't remember when I heard this, maybe an interview or something, but Barry was speaking about his love of music and how people really need to follow their passion to be truly happy in life.
This just stuck in my head and for months, maybe even a year or so, it kept popping up with full force, most of the time when I was on the torch. And after many these months of his words rattling around my brain, along with his inspiring music, I finally left my extremely stressful management position and jumped into my passion full time.
I can't say it's been easy. It's been just over 2 years now and I can't say that my "passion" is all that fruitful in the finance department. But, as for the life I am living now, and doing what I just love doing, I am the happiest I have ever been.
So, I would like to send a HUGE hug and a BIG "thank you" to Barry Manilow for planting that seed in me and giving me the confidence to make my passion a reality!
deby

Winchester, VA

#2 Jul 26, 2011
Good for you. Can't say Barry has done that for me but he definitly stands by that belief. I love blown glass seems it's almost a lost art.
stage name - SPIKEMELON

Cedar Rapids, IA

#3 Nov 7, 2011
Aside from, of course, the Beatles, Barry has been my sole inspiration for following a career in music. Not being able to get into the industry, I became a music therapist, working with special needs people in very innovative ways.
However, I did write 250 songs which are copyrighted but not published. Many are in Barry's styles (also in Beatles format as well).
I've tried , in the past to jump onto the stage during his concerts and toss him a demo tape of my stuff but I was intercepted by security and - that was that !!!
Now that we have the internet and mp3 files, etc., is there any venue whereby I can present some of my material to Mr. Manilow, for consideration ???
If so, please - anyone out there - let me know???
If there is $$$ to be made on my songs, there will definitely be profit sharing for those who can "hook me up" !!!!!!!
e-mail me at the following - [email protected]
THANKS !!!
Deby

Winchester, VA

#4 Nov 7, 2011
Hey Spikemelon, I can only suggest going thru Garry. I read that Barry doesn't accept outside material but yours is copywrited so that may make a difference.GOOD LUCK.
LMAO

Atlanta, GA

#5 Nov 7, 2011
He's inspired me to laugh my A$$ off at him.
Begonia 79

United States

#6 Nov 28, 2011
Hi Spikemellon:
i don't know about Barry, mostly cuz he is getting on and seems to be doing his final round of concert tours (tear, sniff, sniff). There is a young(er) man who does some of Barry's stuff, his name is John Barrowman. He has a wonderful voice and may be looking for material.

@Jeannie C:
thank you for posting your testimony. I have been looking for my 'calling for quite a while., working jobs that i hate just to pay the bills. I saw a clip called God Bless The Other Ninety-Nine where Barry did a skit about learning through rejection and getting right back up there after they say NO. Barry is such an inspiring person, i'm sure that there is much more to glean from his life.
I'm thinking about doing my own business, either a boutique, my own clothing and stationary line, plant care maintenance for businesses...or maybe ALL OF IT! God bless you all in your endeavors.
JeannieC

Chandler, AZ

#7 Nov 29, 2011
Begonia -- go for it! What ever you love to do, you should make it your passion and just do it! I am the happiest now that I have ever been in my life and my career. Sure, it may still be tough financially for me and my family, but it could be worse (knock on wood that doesn't happen!). Doing what I love to do is the best decision I have ever made and I was undecided of whether to stay in my extremely stressful but well-paying job or go for broke (literally - haha!) and do what I love to do. I think Barry was inspiring enough to push me in the right direction.
RICKIE

Pompano Beach, FL

#8 Dec 17, 2011
you people are mean. if you don't like barry manilow, leave him alone.let the rest ofus enjoy him.our choice.
Pat

Haltom City, TX

#9 Dec 26, 2011
I agree with Rickie, like my mother used to say if you can't say something nice don't say anything at all! Hope you are doing better<3
RICKIE

Pompano Beach, FL

#10 Dec 26, 2011
THANK YOU PAT. I'M GLAD SOMEONE IS ON MY SIDE!
YOUR MOTHER WAS RIGHT.
PEOPLE SHOULD KEEP THEIR OPINIONS TO THEMSELVES IF THEY DON'T HAVE ANYTHING NICE TO SAY.
A malia Rodriguez

Hialeah, FL

#11 Jan 3, 2012
Barry Manilow'sons has inspired me so much. I would like to attend some concert of him. But I live in Florida, Hialeah.Hear no concert now. Besides I think, his concert is too expensive, so if I had the opportunity, I would love to attend to his concert.Maybe, some day.....
A malia Rodriguez

Hialeah, FL

#12 Jan 3, 2012
Barry Manilow'sons has inspired me so much. I would like to attend some concert of him. But I live in Florida, Hialeah.Hear no concert now. Besides I think, his concert is too expensive, so if I had the opportunity, I would love to attend to his concert.Maybe, some day..... I am polite,, but I say what I believe. If you don t like, excuse me.
RICKIE

Pompano Beach, FL

#13 Jan 3, 2012
if you truly love him it won't matter what anyone says. that's their business to be obnoxious.
i love him and that's that. i don't care what anyone else's opinion is.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barry Manilow Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
manilow (Feb '06) May 15 Village People 1,012
News Barry Manilow wins icon award; says coming out ... May 15 Village People 1
News Barry Manilow says he kept his sexuality secret... May 15 Village People 2
News Barry Manilow says he kept his sexuality secret... May 15 Village People 80
Poll Is Evan retarded (Dec '08) Apr 26 teravisbassssss 26
Keely Vasquez (Jul '06) Apr '17 Patti 87
subject of "could it be magic?" (Feb '09) Apr '17 Moishey Levy 17
More from around the web