barry on the today show
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
music fan

Trexlertown, PA

#1 Nov 28, 2008
I can't believe I forgot he was going to be on. Will someone please tell me what happened?
Liz

Springfield, VA

#2 Nov 28, 2008
music fan wrote:
I can't believe I forgot he was going to be on. Will someone please tell me what happened?
Go to the Today Show website. There are 3 videos of him singing on the show.

“A Little Travelin Music Please”

Since: Jun 07

Cleveland, Ohio

#3 Dec 2, 2008
And he acted like a complete ass to some sick kids from St. Jude -

This was a journal entry from Caringbridge.org before it was removed from their web site (but it doesn't matter, because this post is now circulating all over the Internet).

Other cancer support sites are encouraging outraged people to write to the BMFIC and express their feelings for Mr. Manilow's behavior.

So, in case you missed it ....

The kids and parents all arrived in mass and headed for the shows, "Green Room."
That is where the show's guests, relax and eat and use the bathroom and so
forth. It is a very comfortable place to be while waiting. Well, we all start
heading into the green room, when BARRY MANILOW, yells out, DON'T LET THOSE KIDS
IN HERE!!! I kid you not, this jerk yells don't let those kids in here. So there
we stand in a vestibule, STANDING (including one girl on BRACES) waiting for the
TV show to figure out what to do with us. They come up with the BRILLIANT idea
to house us in the Rockefeller Center food court! LOL Yup, in the food court. We
have no food, no drinks (it's closed) and only PUBLIC...NYC ....toilets for the
CANCER KIDS TO USE!!!
-
Gina went potty and came out to find a homeless woman washing HER FEET in the
sink next to Gina! The Today show staff finally brought the kids some snacks...I
guess BARRY the DIRTBAG was done eating. UGG You have to understand. Many of
these kids were up at 5am or earlier to travel to this event. It was tiring to
say the least, but to not have an adequate place for 10 kids, most of whom are
still on treatment? That's just unspeakable! I don't know what the Today Show
was thinking. Anyway, we finally go on and I hear the Today show staffers
yelling at the ST. Jude people that they have 5 minutes and that's it! So we all
go out and hand out gifts to the public. It was nice. All the screaming Today
show fans were happy to get these very thoughtful gifts from ST. Jude. When we
were done, we went back in and tried to get a couple of photos of the kids. One
of the Today show staffers starts yelling, Excuse me, Excuse me, EXCUSE ME.. and
then two handed-PUSHES
me out of the way. I just looked at him like, you have got to be kidding me and
then he starts yelling me. "When I said excuse me three times, you should have
moved!" I told him that I didn't know he was speaking to me ( I didn't-really!)
I was floored at how badly this guy was treating me. I just ignored him and then
when he wouldn't shut up and kept yelling at me...I just started being really
nice to him. I kept saying, "Have a nice day...Happy Holidays...Merry
Christmas..." He just kept going on and on. Finally, one of the other mommies
yelled at him and put him in his place. I really should file a complaint.
Apparently, I wasn't the only one who he pushed.
What a nightmare. BUT, Gina had an OK time. She loves doing these events for ST.
Jude and feels like she is helping other kids by doing them and regardless of
how MEAN Barry Manilow is or how rude the Today show staffers are, Gina will
continue to get out there and get the word out!
crystal

Sanford, FL

#4 Dec 2, 2008
Bullshit Brenda! For once in your miserable life why don't you admit that just maybe Barry is telling the truth when he says he this incident never took place, or are you having too much fun doing your own small part to tear his reputation down? I'm sure Barry can be a jerk when he's in a bad mood but I've never heard or seen him being rude to children, and just like that incident with the float two years ago, you're quick to believe the worst of him as usual. You and a certain other bunch of "so called" fans aren't worth the time or the dynamite it would take to blow you all to hell where I'm sure you in particular would have Satan slitting his wrists within hours of your arrival.
mamapg

Plymouth, UK

#5 Dec 2, 2008
how could you barry you suck don't treat children or any other human being in such a rude way. your up yourself
Diane Adams

Derby, UK

#6 Dec 2, 2008
How convenient that the "Barry is a bastard" threads start appearing right before he embarks on a mini tour in the UK, he has two new CD's up for release on either side of the Atlantic and right about the same time as the Macy's crap hit this time last year.

Isn't this the same man who only weeks ago was hailed as a hero for saving childrens music programme with a personal gift of 500K??

Isn't this the same man who works tirelessly for Cystic Fibrosis and has done ambassorial work for Save The Children, not to mention the recent Toys R Us benefit, to name only three of the many Childrens charities he represents and works for?

Yes. I can honestly see and hear him screaming at kids, knowing full well it'll get out to the masses because he's classless and unsophisticated. That's exactly what he'd do, knowing he's promoting his new CD.

I really do applaud the PR pundits who started this one. Well done!!

Cleveland, Ohio

#7 Dec 2, 2008
And you were there, Crystal? You saw it?

Crystal, you're so blinded by lust for this man you wouldn't believe ANYTHING negative about him. You'd even call a mother of a sick child a liar just to make him fit your impossible image of him.

You should be so ashamed of your complete and total lack of objectivity where your "idol" is concerned. Fortunately, a lot of fans are a bit more realistic and see him as a flawed human being, not a god.

Worship on.
Lisa

Port Jefferson Station, NY

#8 Dec 2, 2008
Tell em Brenda. You go girl!!!!!
BMeskunas wrote:
And you were there, Crystal? You saw it?
Crystal, you're so blinded by lust for this man you wouldn't believe ANYTHING negative about him. You'd even call a mother of a sick child a liar just to make him fit your impossible image of him.
You should be so ashamed of your complete and total lack of objectivity where your "idol" is concerned. Fortunately, a lot of fans are a bit more realistic and see him as a flawed human being, not a god.
Worship on.

Cleveland, Ohio

#9 Dec 2, 2008
Diane Adams wrote:
How convenient that the "Barry is a bastard" threads start appearing right before he embarks on a mini tour in the UK, he has two new CD's up for release on either side of the Atlantic and right about the same time as the Macy's crap hit this time last year.
It's not a negative publicity stunt. This really happened.
Maybe Barry is subconsciously trying to sabotage himself?
Diane, I'm not taking anything away from his philanthropic efforts. Barry has done a great deal for charity, including charities that benefit children (and will do more, I suspect, when that inevitable check to St. Jude's gets written!).
But he's only a human being, and one of his big negatives is that he can be a total BRAT. He's ALWAYS had this trait - and he's admitted to it. I'm sure, being a good man at heart, he's probably beating himself up for having thoughtlessly yelled what he did Friday morning ... unfortunately, the damage is done.
The most he can hope for now is for this story to stay out of the mainstream media. So far it's only surfaced on various cancer web sites, so maybe he'll luck out.
I, for one, am really sad that Barry is suffering so much right now that he'd even say anything so awful. To be THAT self-absorbed, he must be in a lot of pain. I pray he feels better soon and can return to behaving like the good man we all know he is.
Brenda
crystal

Sanford, FL

#10 Dec 2, 2008
BMeskunas wrote:
<quoted text>
It's not a negative publicity stunt. This really happened.
Maybe Barry is subconsciously trying to sabotage himself?
Diane, I'm not taking anything away from his philanthropic efforts. Barry has done a great deal for charity, including charities that benefit children (and will do more, I suspect, when that inevitable check to St. Jude's gets written!).
But he's only a human being, and one of his big negatives is that he can be a total BRAT. He's ALWAYS had this trait - and he's admitted to it. I'm sure, being a good man at heart, he's probably beating himself up for having thoughtlessly yelled what he did Friday morning ... unfortunately, the damage is done.
The most he can hope for now is for this story to stay out of the mainstream media. So far it's only surfaced on various cancer web sites, so maybe he'll luck out.
I, for one, am really sad that Barry is suffering so much right now that he'd even say anything so awful. To be THAT self-absorbed, he must be in a lot of pain. I pray he feels better soon and can return to behaving like the good man we all know he is.
Brenda
I wasn't aware that you had gotten a degree in psychiatry Dr. Meskunas.

Cleveland, Ohio

#11 Dec 2, 2008
crystal wrote:
<quoted text>
I wasn't aware that you had gotten a degree in psychiatry Dr. Meskunas.
Well, with some of the company I keep, who needs a degree?:-)

Since: Oct 08

La Jolla, CA

#12 Dec 3, 2008
Hummm, My post wasn't posted before... here goes again...

Thanks, Liz, for posting the link... I've been working crazy hours and totally missed the show!! Loved it!!:) Just saw him in Vegas the 21st...

As for the St Jude's thing... I know - I wasn't there, but I can't imagine that story being totally true... maybe it was taken out of context...? In Barry's defense, he did just recover from a fairly serious bout of bronchitis, didn't he? Maybe being around a bunch of kids after that can make ya a bit nervous, especially during the cold and flu season (and as you're about to embark on a UK tour!) Also, he could have been getting ready, etc., as they were bringing in the kids... Actually, I can't believe they didn't have a separate area for Barry. You would think they have a more private area for the celebs...

And IF he did say it, why did they listen?? I can't believe the Today Show Execs shoving a bunch of kids out just because Barry said to... that makes no sense to me...

As for the Today Show's people pushing them around, um, it's LIVE TELEVISION, very fast paced, etc., they have to get to where they are going. I agree it was a bit rude, but I've been in situations like that where people are running around and I got in the way. I don't take it personally... they are freakin' busy people!!

I really feel that mom overreacted. And it was wayyyy b*tchy of her to post that blog!!

*footnote, I just read a reply from a columnist who was apparently THERE and Barry was never even IN the green room...?

Teresa
crystal

Sanford, FL

#13 Dec 3, 2008
Teresa,

Could you please post a link to this columnist or perhaps c/p it as I'd like to read what he had to say since he was actually there?
Faithfull Fan

Blackstone, IL

#14 Dec 3, 2008
Diane Adams wrote:
Isn't this the same man who only weeks ago was hailed as a hero for saving childrens music programme with a personal gift of 500K??
Isn't this the same man who works tirelessly for Cystic Fibrosis and has done ambassorial work for Save The Children, not to mention the recent Toys R Us benefit, to name only three of the many Childrens charities he represents and works for?
Yes. I can honestly see and hear him screaming at kids, knowing full well it'll get out to the masses because he's classless and unsophisticated. That's exactly what he'd do, knowing he's promoting his new CD.
I really do applaud the PR pundits who started this one. Well done!!
I thought we lived in America where you are innocent until proven guilty.
I think Barry is human and is capable of having done this but I really think it would have not in his best interest in promoting a new album to act like that.
Has Barry responed to any questions about this? Has the show made any statement? Has anyone else backed up what this women claims? I am not saying she is lying but a lot of crazy people say crazy things on the web and I would like a better explanation or someone else's account of what happened before I make any judgements.
Faithfull Fan

Blackstone, IL

#15 Dec 3, 2008
Faithfull Fan wrote:
<quoted text>I thought we lived in America where you are innocent until proven guilty.
I think Barry is human and is capable of having done this but I really think it would have not in his best interest in promoting a new album to act like that.
Has Barry responed to any questions about this? Has the show made any statement? Has anyone else backed up what this women claims? I am not saying she is lying but a lot of crazy people say crazy things on the web and I would like a better explanation or someone else's account of what happened before I make any judgements.
I forgot to say that it also disturbed me that no one has made a comment on the homeless women who was washing in the sink in the restroom. How sad is it that in the USA we have homeless people. We are worried because Barry possibly was mean to some sick children and we ignore other important social issues.
Linda

Pittsburgh, PA

#16 Dec 3, 2008
All I knjow is both the Today Show and St. Jude big shots are looking into this. One thing when did this take place? Was it before Barry and company went out on the plaza to perform? If so then just maybe people were using the green room to get dressed. So that maybe why Barry or whoever shouted out what saw said said ithat.
kas523

Denver, CO

#17 Dec 3, 2008
Sounds like a major case of miscommunication. Maybe Barry's pants were down...I'd yell too if I were indisposed. Another explanation could be if it were before a performance, I'd break down greeting this fine group of kids and wouldn't be able to re-compose myself in time for the performance.

Since: Oct 08

La Jolla, CA

#18 Dec 4, 2008
Again... didn't go thru the first time...?
crystal wrote:
Teresa,
Could you please post a link to this columnist or perhaps c/p it as I'd like to read what he had to say since he was actually there?
Hi Crystal, I wish I had seen the original, but I just got the snippet from the caringbridge site... here is the quote I saw on one of the pages:

"I did get one interesting email tonight. It was from a columnist. He wrote to tell me that Barry has denied everything. He said that he was never even in the green room, but did pass us by in the vestibule? Oh wow. I must have made a tremendous error and mistaken someone else for you. Oi Vey"

I don't know, I think the whole thing is being blown way out of proportion. And I tend to believe Barry's camp in saying that he did NOT say that... Here is a link to a site which quotes communication a friend of the mom received from Garry...

http://caringbridge.org/visit/jessicarandall

I don't get this, she hears the Today Show guy say three times, "excuse me" and she doesn't look around or move...? Dunno about y'all ,but if I'm somewhere and I hear someone say excuse me, I look around to make sure they aren't talking to me... if they say it twice, I'd really be looking to see who they are talking to and I'd probably move over just in case... and they wouldn't make it to a third time... because I'd move! Dunno, she totally overreacted to that as well... She seemed hypersensitive by the tone of her post...(understandable given her situation with her sick child, but you can't take it out on others)

Even if he DID say it, I doubt seriously that there is a law about not wanting to share a room with a bunch of kids, sick or not.:/ But trashing his name over something without concrete evidence is plain wrong...

Teresa

Cleveland, Ohio

#19 Dec 4, 2008
Here's a few things I would love to know - and so far, nobody's been able to answer these questions. So, if you have the answers, please do jump in!

1) If we assume that Barry - being the perfect god of music that he is - is totally innocent of having said this, then ... who did?

Or are we just assuming that the mother who posted this in her blog is out to get him?

Or just crazy?

Or just THOUGHT it was Barry but it was really someone else?(Can we have a name, please?)

I mean, I'd love to believe Barry is completely innocent, really ... so please, what's really going on in here if, in fact, he DIDN'T say it?

Who kept these poor kids OUT of the green room?

And while Garry so eloquently defends Barry (as is his job, of course)... how is it fans are so quick to believe him when he wasn't EVEN THERE? He's just going off of hearsay. "Hey, did Barry yell something rude out to a bunch of kids?" "Heck no, boss, he wouldn't do that!" Right.

But the woman who posted about it on her blog WAS there ... yet why is her word automatically suspect tos ome fans, but anything coming out of his manager's mouth is automatically accepted as gospel?

Inquiring minds really do want to know.

And if Barry did say this in haste ... maybe he was ill, jet-lagged, in pain, in bad need of a cigarette ... who knows ... why all this big cover-up? Why can't he just say something like,

"You know, I might have said that, but it was taken out of context because I was half-naked and didn't want to frighten the poor kids! But I never meant for them to NEVER come in to the green room because hey, guess what, I'm not a MONSTER. They had every right to be there, same as I did! Frankly, The Today Show staff really didn't have their sh*t together and, amongst all the choas, there are now people who think I shunned these poor kids! I would never do that! And if I sounded that way, that was never my intent! I am so sorry anyone could have gotten that impression, and not only will it be a cold day in hell before I appear on the Today show again, but I'll do whatever it takes to make it up to the kids who got shoved out into the food court because somebody thought they couldn't be in the same room with me.

Because the way they were treated was just plain WRONG, no matter WHO was responsible!

I hope everybody will understand that a lot of nutty things can happen in show business, and this was one of them - and I wish nothing but those moms and those kids the best of everything this holiday season.

Love,

Barry."

No ... instead we get,

"NO! HE WASN'T THERE! HE NEVER SAID THAT! HOW DARE SOMEONE SPREAD THESE HORRIBLE LIES???"

Ah, diplomacy can be a wonderful thing. Maybe Barry and his management should give it a try sometime.

Brenda
Faithfull Fan

Blackstone, IL

#20 Dec 5, 2008
BMeskunas wrote:
Here's a few things I would love to know - and so far, nobody's been able to answer these questions. So, if you have the answers, please do jump in!
1) If we assume that Barry - being the perfect god of music that he is - is totally innocent of having said this, then ... who did?
Or are we just assuming that the mother who posted this in her blog is out to get him?
Or just crazy?
Or just THOUGHT it was Barry but it was really someone else?(Can we have a name, please?)
I mean, I'd love to believe Barry is completely innocent, really ... so please, what's really going on in here if, in fact, he DIDN'T say it?
Who kept these poor kids OUT of the green room?
And while Garry so eloquently defends Barry (as is his job, of course)... how is it fans are so quick to believe him when he wasn't EVEN THERE? He's just going off of hearsay. "Hey, did Barry yell something rude out to a bunch of kids?" "Heck no, boss, he wouldn't do that!" Right.
But the woman who posted about it on her blog WAS there ... yet why is her word automatically suspect tos ome fans, but anything coming out of his manager's mouth is automatically accepted as gospel?
Inquiring minds really do want to know.
And if Barry did say this in haste ... maybe he was ill, jet-lagged, in pain, in bad need of a cigarette ... who knows ... why all this big cover-up? Why can't he just say something like,
"You know, I might have said that, but it was taken out of context because I was half-naked and didn't want to frighten the poor kids! But I never meant for them to NEVER come in to the green room because hey, guess what, I'm not a MONSTER. They had every right to be there, same as I did! Frankly, The Today Show staff really didn't have their sh*t together and, amongst all the choas, there are now people who think I shunned these poor kids! I would never do that! And if I sounded that way, that was never my intent! I am so sorry anyone could have gotten that impression, and not only will it be a cold day in hell before I appear on the Today show again, but I'll do whatever it takes to make it up to the kids who got shoved out into the food court because somebody thought they couldn't be in the same room with me.
Because the way they were treated was just plain WRONG, no matter WHO was responsible!
I hope everybody will understand that a lot of nutty things can happen in show business, and this was one of them - and I wish nothing but those moms and those kids the best of everything this holiday season.
Love,
Barry."
No ... instead we get,
"NO! HE WASN'T THERE! HE NEVER SAID THAT! HOW DARE SOMEONE SPREAD THESE HORRIBLE LIES???"
Ah, diplomacy can be a wonderful thing. Maybe Barry and his management should give it a try sometime.
Brenda
All your comments are valid but has anyone confirmed beside the woman who made the original accusation that it did in fact happen? I assume their were other adults with her. My point is that anyone can say anything and how can anyone prove it is true. I would be more apt to believe this whole thing if someone from the Today show made the statement or a spokesperson from St. Jude.I could go on that site and post a claim that I was there and did or didn't see this happen and who woold know if I were speaking the truth or not.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barry Manilow Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barry Manilow 2017 tour includes Nassau Coliseu... Feb 15 leihsiachen 1
Which "Greatest hits" to get? Jan '17 Brian 1
Where does Barry live in Palm Springs, doe anyo... (Mar '06) Dec '16 Willsey 515
manilow (Feb '06) Oct '16 Anonymous Woman 1,005
Barry sucks (Sep '07) Apr '16 Fire Island Crewe 58
Barry is Gay (Apr '09) Feb '16 Dumpity 230
News Sideshow: Barry Manilow health scare? (Feb '16) Feb '16 ReA123 1
More from around the web