Ryan says fiscal deal possible despit...

Ryan says fiscal deal possible despite likely rejection of GOP budget blueprint

There are 99 comments on the Guardian Unlimited story from Mar 10, 2013, titled Ryan says fiscal deal possible despite likely rejection of GOP budget blueprint. In it, Guardian Unlimited reports that:

The Republicans ' point person on fiscal issues in Congress said Sunday that compromise with President Barack Obama is possible on taxes and spending even though his soon-to-be-unveiled budget plan faces certain rejection from Democrats .

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Guardian Unlimited.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Eric Gustafson

Virginia Beach, VA

#91 Mar 14, 2013
Oil is as cheap now as it's been in 10 years, by the barrel. American oil production is as good as it's been in more than 20 years. Oil pricing is set by OPEC, not America.

Oil produced in America, half of that oil drilled and found in America is sold to other nations. China is in good shape. The Republican idea of energy independence consist of protecting the oil profits for oil found in America that is sold in other nations.
Pamela wrote:
<quoted text>I think China opened up to capitalism when the Soviet Union collapsed. They saw communism collapse so they looked for a new model to survive. Yes, our corporations are just as guilty as China in that they took our manufacturing base out of the country. The rich turned on the U.S. in many ways - from the bankers getting rich while taking the real estate market down, the bank bailouts where they all got bonuses after they took the banks down, the war in Iraq was for Exxon and BP to get control of that oil in Iraq, plus the big defense corporations made billions off of no bid contracts, plus the corporations moved to China, gutted our manufacturing base. They ran up a lot of debt with the war in Iraq. So they abandoned the U.S. in a lot of ways, and then it all came crashing down here at the end of Bush's second term.
I think the end of cheap oil will push China out of the market of manufacturing and selling in mass to other countries. I think globalization will end soon from the end of cheap oil. And, I also think the reason the uber rich took the U.S. down and made so much money doing so is they knew cheap oil was running out long before the rest of us did, so they did things to turn themselves into billionaires in order to cushion themselves from the shock of triple digit oil prices.

Since: Nov 08

Paris

#92 Mar 15, 2013
conservative crapola wrote:
<quoted text>
gjames, have your other profile banned for spamming?
hahahahahahahahahaha
BANG, BANG: Hot Exchange at Gun Hearing Between Cruz and Feinstein...

Assault weapons ban heading for defeat in Senate...

Paris

#93 Mar 15, 2013
Eric Gustafson wrote:
<quoted text>
During those six years you refer to, America loss 8 million jobs, to outsourcing. 6 Million to China, and 2 Million to Mexico, India, Indonesia and Singapore.
At the conclusion of destroying the economy, Bush than preceded to nationalize the Banks and Automobile Industry and over saw the shredding of more than 500,000 jobs a month. ROFLMAO....... Bliss you say........ ROFLMAO
You're delusional and have entered the world of a prepetual state of denial...riding a pink elephant ..... ROFLMAO
Your spin is making you dizzy. I suggest you grab ahold of the floor and hold on.
conservative crapola

Orefield, PA

#94 Mar 15, 2013
Le Jimbo wrote:
<quoted text>
So you found out, the hard way, you have to play by the rules? Poor austupid.

hahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Since: Aug 12

Buffalo, NY

#95 Mar 15, 2013
Pamela wrote:
<quoted text>. One thing is that the European countries don't spend a lot on military compared to the U.S. Our number one, two and three spending items are: Social Security, Medicare and military spending. So we have a different situation in that we spend about $800 billion a year just on military spending.

If we had gone universal health care like in European countries, let's say Medicare for all, funded by everyone, that would have wiped out the $75 trillion of debt in Medicare.

Obamacare plays to the drug companies and to the private insurance companies, but the problem is the insurance companies will not take old people nor sick people. They basically insure young, working people and so the poor, the old and our vets are piled on the government for their health care. My point is we might actually save a lot of money if we went universal care like the European countries.
You have made a couple of point here that I can not debate.
Peha=s as big as any other diffrence we have with Europe is our defence budget, which is bloated beyond reason and our relationship withEurope and Japan plays a major role in this. There is absolutly no reason nor rhyme for us to be spending untold billions of dollars to keep Europe safe from Soviet aggression, same with Japan. A small handful of forward bases on European and Japanese soil is all we require if our allies want more let them pay the bill.

You are also dead on about health care.
The only reason I support Obama's plan is because more people are covered. As i am sure you know the uninsured using emergency sevices in place of family doctors end up costing as much as if they were covered. I always look to Canada when discussing health care. I interact with Canadians almost daily and I cross the bridge a dozen or more times per year. They are healthy, and happy with their system. Keeping in mind the fact that they pay less than 2\3 the per capita cost that we pay ,they cover everyone and have a longer life span and better infant mortality stats. If some one has a better idea you should be smart enough to steal it.

CBO says that this year our deficiet will be under a trillion, about $850b illion.
Save a hundred billion consoladating our ases overseas. Save a several ten billion with a better health care system. A few additional cuts eliminate a few outragous tax breaks and write-off and we could wipe out the deficiet with less pain and perhaps a quicker time frame than Ryan or Obama.
The accumulated debt is an issue that is only addressable after you have delt with the deficiet

Paris

#96 Mar 15, 2013
Eric Gustafson wrote:
This Ryan guy should speak to the press once a week. He's in a perpetual state of denial. As long as he or those fatal ideas are in congress there will never again be a Republican President.
Obama Mocks House Dem -- But Ends Up Looking Like Jerk...

Paris

#97 Mar 15, 2013
conservative crapola wrote:
<quoted text>
So you found out, the hard way, you have to play by the rules? Poor austupid.
hahahahahahahahahahahahaha
What are you talking about cupcake. Did you fall on your head again Hillary?
conservative crapola

Orefield, PA

#98 Mar 15, 2013
Le Jimbo wrote:
<quoted text>
slack-jawed okie says supreme court doesn't determine constitutionality of laws.

That poor tumbleweed looks like he's choking on his own fat. It already affected his brain.

hahahahahahahahahahahaha
Pamela

Citrus Heights, CA

#99 Mar 15, 2013
Eric Gustafson wrote:
Oil is as cheap now as it's been in 10 years, by the barrel. American oil production is as good as it's been in more than 20 years. Oil pricing is set by OPEC, not America.
Oil produced in America, half of that oil drilled and found in America is sold to other nations. China is in good shape. The Republican idea of energy independence consist of protecting the oil profits for oil found in America that is sold in other nations.
<quoted text>
Nope. Oil was around $20 a barrel for decades, and today it runs around $100-$120 a barrel, and it had gone up to $150 a barrel, and that oil shock is part of what caused the global recession. Look into Jeff Rubin's lectures on Youtube or read his books about the end of cheap oil. He's a Canadian economist and the world's most sought after expert on oil. There is no more cheap oil and that is the big deal all the way around. Deep water drilling, fracking for shale oil and processing sand tars is not cheap, that's why oil is so expensive now, the big pools of easy to get at oil are gone or going. That is a huge game changer for China to be able to grow their GDP and China just contracted, and it's a big game changer for globalization due to high transportation costs using triple digit oil. The end of cheap oil is why we invaded Iraq, why the rich took the U.S. down, it is behind most everything that is going on. That's why we are fracking and deep water drilling, that's why oil companies are now processing sand tar oil.

If you put triple digit oil prices into the equation, it means the end of growth for all countries, it means the end of the capitalist model based on growth, it means job sharing, the end of massive consumerism, and it means many countries defaulting on their debt. It's a new model because of the end of cheap oil, and until people all get it that expensive oil is where the world is at and the impact of that, people don't see what is really going on and what is coming from it - what the world is going to look like without cheap oil.
Pamela

Citrus Heights, CA

#100 Mar 15, 2013
Buffalo Bull wrote:
<quoted text>
You have made a couple of point here that I can not debate.
Peha=s as big as any other diffrence we have with Europe is our defence budget, which is bloated beyond reason and our relationship withEurope and Japan plays a major role in this. There is absolutly no reason nor rhyme for us to be spending untold billions of dollars to keep Europe safe from Soviet aggression, same with Japan. A small handful of forward bases on European and Japanese soil is all we require if our allies want more let them pay the bill.
You are also dead on about health care.
The only reason I support Obama's plan is because more people are covered. As i am sure you know the uninsured using emergency sevices in place of family doctors end up costing as much as if they were covered. I always look to Canada when discussing health care. I interact with Canadians almost daily and I cross the bridge a dozen or more times per year. They are healthy, and happy with their system. Keeping in mind the fact that they pay less than 2\3 the per capita cost that we pay ,they cover everyone and have a longer life span and better infant mortality stats. If some one has a better idea you should be smart enough to steal it.
CBO says that this year our deficiet will be under a trillion, about $850b illion.
Save a hundred billion consoladating our ases overseas. Save a several ten billion with a better health care system. A few additional cuts eliminate a few outragous tax breaks and write-off and we could wipe out the deficiet with less pain and perhaps a quicker time frame than Ryan or Obama.
The accumulated debt is an issue that is only addressable after you have delt with the deficiet
I agree with you about closing down some of our military bases. I'm a big fan of Ron Paul. He is so smart and he said we have over 900 bases around the world and we should shut some of them down to save money. The thing is people like the idea of being a military empire, but we can't afford it. Things have changed, times have changed, and, empires always fall. They always do. So I agree with you to save money by shutting down many of our military bases. Having so many we can still keep the strategic ones that may be important in the future. But over 900 of them, no other country has anything like that.

That is interesting what you say about Canada's health care. They pay less and have better health care. We pay the most and don't have good care. I agree with you that we should go universal health care. All the people who say they don't like big government or say they don't like government health care, unfortunately most of them are on Medicare. So people really love government health care, and we have to figure out a way to fund Medicare anyway, might as well go single payer Medicare for all. That way, everyone would have health care and Medicare would get funded. The thing is Americans were so afraid of universal health care so when Obama tried to do it in the beginning of his first term, the public went nuts, but looking back maybe people will realize it is actually a good idea.

You have good ideas for how to cut the spending without making huge cuts to social programs. And you are right that we can't figure out how to pay the debt back until we stop running I debt. I agree with you.

Buffalo, NY

#101 Mar 15, 2013
Pamela wrote:
<quoted text>I agree with you about closing down some of our military bases. I'm a big fan of Ron Paul. He is so smart and he said we have over 900 bases around the world and we should shut some of them down to save money. The thing is people like the idea of being a military empire, but we can't afford it. Things have changed, times have changed, and, empires always fall. They always do. So I agree with you to save money by shutting down many of our military bases. Having so many we can still keep the strategic ones that may be important in the future. But over 900 of them, no other country has anything like that.
That is interesting what you say about Canada's health care. They pay less and have better health care. We pay the most and don't have good care. I agree with you that we should go universal health care. All the people who say they don't like big government or say they don't like government health care, unfortunately most of them are on Medicare. So people really love government health care, and we have to figure out a way to fund Medicare anyway, might as well go single payer Medicare for all. That way, everyone would have health care and Medicare would get funded. The thing is Americans were so afraid of universal health care so when Obama tried to do it in the beginning of his first term, the public went nuts, but looking back maybe people will realize it is actually a good idea.
You have good ideas for how to cut the spending without making huge cuts to social programs. And you are right that we can't figure out how to pay the debt back until we stop running I debt. I agree with you.
The ability for two parties to find some form of common ground is the stuff that makes a democracy move and live. I believe that people who believe that they have nothing in common would find that they cab agree on 2\3 of what the gov't does.The current tactic is to hold up everything including the portions that most people would agree upon. Hoping to maximize public discomfort to get their way
Don't worry Pam we will find something else to argue about soon enough.
That is just the way the game gets played

Buffalo, NY

#103 Mar 21, 2013
WelbyMD wrote:
<quoted text>Don Trump for Prez, Pat Boone for VP, Orly Taitz for Attorney General, Ron Paul for Surgeon General, Obama back in Kenya.
OBAMA is not a natural-born citizen simply because his official father was a Kenyan-Brit and never a U.S. citizen.
Obama himself was born a British Subject in Kenya before his adoption as Barry Soetoro in Indonesia.
Obama is using a stolen Social Security number, falsified Selective Service registration and a forged Hawaiian Birth Certificate.
You fargin ice hole should find a new joke
Eric Gustafson

Virginia Beach, VA

#104 Mar 21, 2013
His Father could have been from Mars it would not be relevant, the fact his Mother was born in Kansas, validates Obama as an American.

Any child with at least one American parent, born any place in the world is an American.

Typical of republicans to try and limit American Citizenship and it's privileges, guarantees and rights. In this case, Republicans would deny children of America's military born overseas the rights of American Citizenship.

That's a Marxist tactic if ever there was.... Stealing American Citizenship privileges... that's low-down!
WelbyMD wrote:
<quoted text>Don Trump for Prez, Pat Boone for VP, Orly Taitz for Attorney General, Ron Paul for Surgeon General, Obama back in Kenya.
OBAMA is not a natural-born citizen simply because his official father was a Kenyan-Brit and never a U.S. citizen.
Obama himself was born a British Subject in Kenya before his adoption as Barry Soetoro in Indonesia.
Obama is using a stolen Social Security number, falsified Selective Service registration and a forged Hawaiian Birth Certificate.
curmudgeon

Bexar, AR

#105 Mar 24, 2013
Don Joe wrote:
<quoted text>
I know a lot of people with high tech educations who cannot find jobs. The semiconductor industry for example, went to Asia, taking with it, the semiconductor jobs. Most processing jobs went to China, along with much of the design tasks. Most of the software jobs went to India. Thousands of high tech workers with years of great experience became unemployed. How can you convince someone graduating from high school, to go deeply into debt, take the hardest courses in college, only to get a job paying minimum wage or less.
This is not to say I believe our youth should not be educated. On the contrary, the system needs to change so that it makes sense to obtain that education. We need to make sure the jobs are available.
Ive noticed those who are touting education for the most part are in the education buisness. Sadly the promised pot of gold at the end of the education rainbow is empty.there are no jobs. Many times all those poor student get is a student loan to repay and a almost worthless scrap of paper. colledge degrees are as common as tree leaves. A high school diploma back in the 1960,s was worth far more than a college degree is today.
curmudgeon

Bexar, AR

#106 Mar 24, 2013
Buffalo Bull wrote:
<quoted text>
The ability for two parties to find some form of common ground is the stuff that makes a democracy move and live. I believe that people who believe that they have nothing in common would find that they cab agree on 2\3 of what the gov't does.The current tactic is to hold up everything including the portions that most people would agree upon. Hoping to maximize public discomfort to get their way
Don't worry Pam we will find something else to argue about soon enough.
That is just the way the game gets played
We have a Republic. its not a democracy. And I like gridlock. We already have more thean enough laws rules regulations etc. I dont need or want the goverment to do anything for me. I just dont want them to do something to me.

Buffalo, NY

#107 Mar 24, 2013
curmudgeon wrote:
<quoted text> We have a Republic. its not a democracy. And I like gridlock. We already have more thean enough laws rules regulations etc. I dont need or want the goverment to do anything for me. I just dont want them to do something to me.
You are corredt on the form of Gov't we have .
Perhaps using Republic would have avoid any confusion
I was using the term democracy to describe any representitive participatory gov't

Noun
A system of government by the whole population or all the eligible members of a state, typically through elected representatives.
A state governed in such a way.

In that the ablity to meet in the middle and cut deals is the workings of such a state.
Thus gridlock can not be a permanent state of affairs.
In some areas there are too many laws or laws that need revision but seening any reform through the machinery of a republic requires communication and deal making
Don Joe

Saint Paul, MN

#109 Mar 27, 2013
curmudgeon wrote:
<quoted text> We have a Republic. its not a democracy. And I like gridlock. We already have more thean enough laws rules regulations etc. I dont need or want the goverment to do anything for me. I just dont want them to do something to me.
There are a few times when the course needs to be corrected. The economy is a disaster. We have lost all our rights. Unemployment is ridiculously high. The nation is headed to third world status. Our military is out of control. If the nation does nothing, 99.99% of us will end up in extreme poverty and I suspect this includes you. And you like gridlock so nothing can change? Is this what you really mean to suggest?
curmudgeon

Bexar, AR

#110 Mar 27, 2013
Don Joe wrote:
<quoted text>
There are a few times when the course needs to be corrected. The economy is a disaster. We have lost all our rights. Unemployment is ridiculously high. The nation is headed to third world status. Our military is out of control. If the nation does nothing, 99.99% of us will end up in extreme poverty and I suspect this includes you. And you like gridlock so nothing can change? Is this what you really mean to suggest?
I would have prefered gridlock instead of Nafta Free trade , Obama Care, Job Killing EPA laws ect. As long as I have Know How and am self reliant Ill never be in extreme poverty. Were debt free. And have plenty of assetts. I have very little money in the bank. The bank dont pay interest so I just put enough in there to pay the monthly bills.
Don Joe

Saint Paul, MN

#111 Mar 28, 2013
curmudgeon wrote:
<quoted text> I would have prefered gridlock instead of Nafta Free trade , Obama Care, Job Killing EPA laws ect. As long as I have Know How and am self reliant Ill never be in extreme poverty. Were debt free. And have plenty of assetts. I have very little money in the bank. The bank dont pay interest so I just put enough in there to pay the monthly bills.
I agree we would be much better off without NAFTA, but Clinton negotiated with the GOP and allowed them to have it, harming us all. I will give you that we would be better off without Obama care. The EPA laws are now without teeth and only provide to protect large corporations, making sure they never have any competition.

As to being debt free, I approve. It is a great position to be in. I try to avoid dealing with banks as much as possible. I have never met an honest banker.

As to being OK, I am not so sure. The Pat Act told us the government is now assuming the power to put anyone they want in jail, without due process. Of course it is not constitutional, but the current batch of extreme partisans on the USSC would never rule against the powers that be.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barack Obama Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min sonicfilter 1,374,993
News Donald Trump, pictured, was labelled 'divisive,... 13 min jybeir6u 4
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 28 min Patriot AKA Bozo 58,864
News The President has failed us (Jun '12) 31 min Sharrp Shooter 381,609
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 47 min JRB 213,217
News Obama to name Stonewall 1st national monument f... 1 hr Belles Echoes 1
News Obama faces looming trade row with China 3 hr Isis Tranny Bathr... 2
More from around the web