The President has failed us

The President has failed us

There are 396068 comments on the Times News story from Jun 9, 2012, titled The President has failed us. In it, Times News reports that:

This week, I decided to list the reasons I would not vote for Barack Obama in the next election.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Times News.

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#100813 Feb 8, 2013
American Lady wrote:
Choosing sensitive details in one Sandy Hook story
Published on January 3, 2013
Reporter Naomi Zeveloff of the Jewish Daily Forward reflects on interviewing the mother of the youngest victim in the Sandy Hook elementary school shooting and on writing a complicated portrait of grief.
http://www.dartsociety.org/cms/choosing-sensi...
Hey RH, I tried to put this on Fox Debate, but it keeps getting deleted ...
Could you, please ...???
Done!!

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

#100814 Feb 8, 2013
teddyr4me wrote:
<quoted text>Families should teach morals, and one shouldn't blame a school for the students' lack of them. One should blame the home in which the students have leearned their unsatisfactory behaviors. Schools can have character strengthening programs to teach the children what their parents have failed to to do. Let's face it, if parents don't teach this as well, kids won't see the point in listening. Kids have to know and understand what is right and what is wrong, or there will be chaos in the schools and in our communities. I see nothing wrong with a student silently praying before a game or eating lunch.
I really doubt a silent prayer before a game or single student praying before they eat is where Conservatives would stop if given free reign on the issue. That is what w'ere talking about.

The bottom line is that religion or "God" is not synonymous with morals. People that don't believe in God can have morals too. Many conservatives just refuse to acknowledge that.

It just so happens that this country's citizens are diverse not only in culture but spiritual and religious beliefs. You can't force one person's beliefs on the whole.

Location hidden

#100815 Feb 8, 2013
X -Man- wrote:
<quoted text>
For what Q-bert? Telling the truth? lol
You just keep working on your spelling and nasty temper, Q-berto. Leave the thinking to those of us with brains. ;)
Don't think so! Your thought process is in left field. Excuse the pun!

Location hidden

#100819 Feb 8, 2013
Republican Honey wrote:
<quoted text>
Your example of "factual science" is just an opinion. What is wrong with God in schools? Since about 73% of Americans consider themselves Christian, I don't see this as a problem.
What does the 1950's have to do with what is being forced upon you today? We have had six Republican presidents since the 1950's so their impact seems to have helped our country. Since 1950, Democrats have been presidents 27 years and Republicans 35 years so how has Conservative ideologies been exposed and neutered?
LOL

73% huh? Religion has it's place at home with the individual. What about that other 27%? It doesn't surprise me that you wouldn't see it as a problem.

Science is not an "opinion". It's based of fact, constantly hypothesized but tested to find truth.

If you can't make the connection between the problems we had in the 1950's and overbearing Conservative ideology you are either ind denial or extremely ignorant.

Sure we've had Republican presidents but they've never had free reign of this country. Thank God! Conservatism would have likely kept us in the dark ages.

Yep, thank God for liberalism and the minds to think beyond the conservative status Quo.

Location hidden

#100820 Feb 8, 2013
Republican Honey wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't think so! Your thought process is in left field. Excuse the pun!
I hate to break it to you but what you "think" is not a priority for me. lol

Location hidden

#100823 Feb 8, 2013
X -Man- wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL
73% huh? Religion has it's place at home with the individual. What about that other 27%? It doesn't surprise me that you wouldn't see it as a problem.
Science is not an "opinion". It's based of fact, constantly hypothesized but tested to find truth.
If you can't make the connection between the problems we had in the 1950's and overbearing Conservative ideology you are either ind denial or extremely ignorant.
Sure we've had Republican presidents but they've never had free reign of this country. Thank God! Conservatism would have likely kept us in the dark ages.
Yep, thank God for liberalism and the minds to think beyond the conservative status Quo.
No one is forcing the other 27% to do anything. They are NOT required to participate. Did someone "require" you to say prayer in school? No!

I know what science is. I said your example was your opinion. You prefer teaching science over religion. That is your preference and your opinion.

I can't see what anything which occurred in the 50's has to do with your feeling Conservatives are cramming anything down your throat TODAY! I am NOT in denial and neither am I ignorant! Just because I do not agree with you and your liberal views does not make me either!

Are you implying Obama has free reign of this country???? He is certainly making every attempt to. I guess his bypassing the Constitution and Congress would make you think so.

You may like what he is doing to this country but there are many who do not. Please attempt to remember that those of us who do not are not "ignorant". We have a right to our views too.

Location hidden

#100824 Feb 8, 2013
X -Man- wrote:
<quoted text>
I hate to break it to you but what you "think" is not a priority for me. lol
Then stop forcing your liberal views on me little boy! I could care less what you think! You know why? Because your thought process is in left field! LMAO

“Work hard at work worth doing.”

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

#100825 Feb 8, 2013
X -Man- wrote:
<quoted text>
I really doubt a silent prayer before a game or single student praying before they eat is where Conservatives would stop if given free reign on the issue. That is what w'ere talking about.
The bottom line is that religion or "God" is not synonymous with morals. People that don't believe in God can have morals too. Many conservatives just refuse to acknowledge that.
It just so happens that this country's citizens are diverse not only in culture but spiritual and religious beliefs. You can't force one person's beliefs on the whole.
I do agree with your assertion that there are good people out there, many of whom are not Christians who take their convictions just as seriously as do Christians. What I do see is a decline in our collective morals and values, as we are constantly being told to do what makes us feel good about ourselves, and to hell with those we hurt in our quest to feel good. We no longer set limits on bad behavior, we just look the other way or make excuses for them. We just aren't in a good place, and I really feel for our children. They need something or somebody positive in their lives on which to grasp. Being a conservative, I would be quite satified with the ability to choose to say a silent prayer, but would never force somebody to join in.

Location hidden

#100826 Feb 8, 2013
Republican Honey wrote:
<quoted text>
certainly making every attempt to. I guess his bypassing the Constitution and Congress would make you think so.
You may like what he is doing to this country but there are many who do not. Please attempt to remember that those of us who do not are not "ignorant". We have a right to our views too.
Republican Honey wrote:
<quoted text>No one is forcing the other 27% to do anything. They are NOT required to participate. Did someone "require" you to say prayer in school? No!
LOL, and what do you think will happen when that 27% is seen refraining from participating in the religious rituals of the majority? Have you ever heard of religious persecution? It's school, not a church. Children are there to learn not accommodate one groups religious rituals at the expense of another. What about those children that don't believe in God at all. Should they sit there quietly on their time and while the others pray to something they don't believe in nor care about? Are we going going to give time to each and every child's religious practice in school? Children are free to practice their religion at home and at their designated church or synagogue. School is not church.
Republican Honey wrote:
<quoted text>I know what science is. I said your example was your opinion. You prefer teaching science over religion. That is your preference and your opinion.
It's not just my opinion. If you think we should start teaching religion in the place of, science which many of you conservatives do, than this conversation really will go no where. I won't waste my time on that kind of ignorance.
Republican Honey wrote:
<quoted text>I can't see what anything which occurred in the 50's has to do with your feeling Conservatives are cramming anything down your throat TODAY!

LOL

I know you can't. You can't because you don't want to.

I'm not saying that Conservatives are "cramming" anything down our throats today. Due to the sacrifice and free thinking of many Liberals, those who champion Conservatism, have seen the ideology put in it's place(you've heard of the civil rights movement) and kept in check to the better of all society. In short, Conservatives are not able to "cram" anything down my throat "today" because much of their ideology has been rendered a dysfunctional ideology by society itself. Is that clear enough for you? I'm not saying that it's all bad, but too many of those who support it have gone astray.
Republican Honey wrote:
<quoted text>I am NOT in denial and neither am I ignorant! Just because I do not agree with you and your liberal views does not make me either!
Now that, is YOUR opinion. ;)
Republican Honey wrote:
<quoted text>Are you implying Obama has free reign of this country???? He is certainly making every attempt to. I guess his bypassing the Constitution and Congress would make you think so.

Not at all. He's not doing anything other presidents haven't done.

[QUOTE who="Republican Honey"]<quoted text>You may like what he is doing to this country but there are many who do not. Please attempt to remember that those of us who do not are not "ignorant". We have a right to our views too.No one is forcing the other 27% to do anything. They are NOT required to participate. Did someone "require" you to say prayer in school? No!
It has nothing to do with "Obama". I have my own opinion on your's and many other's "ignorance". An opinion you continue to reinforce.

I was not forced to participate in prayer in school because of the first amendment and the establishment clause, maybe you've heard of it? Although if it were up to conservatives, what do you think would happen? Yeah.

Location hidden

#100827 Feb 8, 2013
Republican Honey wrote:
<quoted text>
Then stop forcing your liberal views on me little boy! I could care less what you think! You know why? Because your thought process is in left field! LMAO
"little boy"?

Getting testy? lol How am I forcing ANYTHING on you? I'm on a public discussion forum. Try to keep your temper in check. ;)

Location hidden

#100828 Feb 8, 2013
teddyr4me wrote:
<quoted text>I do agree with your assertion that there are good people out there, many of whom are not Christians who take their convictions just as seriously as do Christians. What I do see is a decline in our collective morals and values, as we are constantly being told to do what makes us feel good about ourselves, and to hell with those we hurt in our quest to feel good. We no longer set limits on bad behavior, we just look the other way or make excuses for them. We just aren't in a good place, and I really feel for our children. They need something or somebody positive in their lives on which to grasp. Being a conservative, I would be quite satified with the ability to choose to say a silent prayer, but would never force somebody to join in.
I agree with a lot of what you say here but believe that religion should be kept out of the classroom. A parent can pray with their child in the car when they drop them off or at home before they get on the bus. At lunch, I can't see prohibiting someone from praying, nor before a football game. I think you're extremely level headed on this issue, unfortunately I can't say the same about many other conservatives.

“Life is what you make of it”

Since: Jan 13

The good ol' USA

#100829 Feb 8, 2013
Cricket 23 wrote:
President Obama gives himself permission to kill
By Judge Andrew P. Napolitano
Published February 07, 2013
FoxNews.com
After stonewalling for more than a year federal judges and ordinary citizens who sought the revelation of its secret legal research justifying the presidential use of drones to kill persons overseas -- even Americans -- claiming the research was so sensitive and so secret that it could not be revealed without serious consequences, the government sent a summary of its legal memos to an NBC newsroom earlier this week.
This revelation will come as a great surprise, and not a little annoyance, to U.S. District Court Judge Colleen McMahon, who heard many hours of oral argument during which the government predicted gloom and doom if its legal research were subjected to public scrutiny. She very reluctantly agreed with the feds, but told them she felt caught in “a veritable Catch-22,” because the feds have created “a thicket of laws and precedents that effectively allow the executive branch of our government to proclaim as perfectly lawful certain actions that seem on their face incompatible with our Constitution and laws, while keeping the reasons for their conclusion a secret.”
Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2013/02/07/oba...
You and Eagle remind me of The Judge. Thanks for the post.

The good ol' USA

#100830 Feb 8, 2013
X -Man- wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree with a lot of what you say here but believe that religion should be kept out of the classroom. A parent can pray with their child in the car when they drop them off or at home before they get on the bus. At lunch, I can't see prohibiting someone from praying, nor before a football game. I think you're extremely level headed on this issue, unfortunately I can't say the same about many other conservatives.
Yeah, but religon is encouraged in prison. The thing is, if religon were encouraged PRIOR to going to prison, many might not BE in prison. I suppose you'd advocate omitting the Pledge of Allegiance as well?

Location hidden

#100831 Feb 8, 2013
X -Man- wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
LOL, and what do you think will happen when that 27% is seen refraining from participating in the religious rituals of the majority? Have you ever heard of religious persecution? It's school, not a church. Children are there to learn not accommodate one groups religious rituals at the expense of another. What about those children that don't believe in God at all. Should they sit there quietly on their time and while the others pray to something they don't believe in nor care about? Are we going going to give time to each and every child's religious practice in school? Children are free to practice their religion at home and at their designated church or synagogue. School is not church.
<quoted text>
It's not just my opinion. If you think we should start teaching religion in the place of, science which many of you conservatives do, than this conversation really will go no where. I won't waste my time on that kind of ignorance.
<quoted text>
LOL
I'm not saying that Conservatives are "cramming" anything down our throats today. Due to the sacrifice and free thinking of many Liberals, those who champion Conservatism, have seen the ideology put in it's place(you've heard of the civil rights movement) and kept in check to the better of all society. In short, Conservatives are not able to "cram" anything down my throat "today" because much of their ideology has been rendered a dysfunctional ideology by society itself. Is that clear enough for you? I'm not saying that it's all bad, but too many of those who support it have gone astray.
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
It has nothing to do with "Obama". I have my own opinion on your's and many other's "ignorance". An opinion you continue to reinforce.
I was not forced to participate in prayer in school because of the first amendment and the establishment clause, maybe you've heard of it? Although if it were up to conservatives, what do you think would happen? Yeah.
I understand your concerns, but what about this, X?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/30/musl...

Location hidden

#100832 Feb 8, 2013
huntscoyotes wrote:
<quoted text>Yeah, but religon is encouraged in prison. The thing is, if religon were encouraged PRIOR to going to prison, many might not BE in prison. I suppose you'd advocate omitting the Pledge of Allegiance as well?
Religion and crime.
http://law.jrank.org/pages/1944/Religion-Crim...

Location hidden

#100833 Feb 8, 2013
teddyr4me wrote:
<quoted text>I understand your concerns, but what about this, X?
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/30/musl...
Well, on the surface this looks like what were were talking about but it's different. These students are allowed to separate from the group and gather to pray, away from their classroom. They are not taking any time away from other students nor impacting them in any way by doing it in the classroom.

Location hidden

#100834 Feb 8, 2013
X -Man- wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, on the surface this looks like what were were talking about but it's different. These students are allowed to separate from the group and gather to pray, away from their classroom. They are not taking any time away from other students nor impacting them in any way by doing it in the classroom.
Ah, but they are missing instructional time...don't you think the other students should be allowed to do the same? We have kids sitting in class, while others are being allowed to leave for a few...this is a slipperly slope. One group is given lenience when the other is not.

Location hidden

#100835 Feb 8, 2013
teddyr4me wrote:
<quoted text>Ah, but they are missing instructional time...don't you think the other students should be allowed to do the same? We have kids sitting in class, while others are being allowed to leave for a few...this is a slipperly slope. One group is given lenience when the other is not.
The article is clear that these students are above average students that must have good grades to maintain the privilege.Those praying are leaving the classroom and the kids sitting in class are going about their studies, they're not being affected at all.

It's not lenience. It's affording them their right to practice their religion in a manor designated by the school and state. I think they should make the same arrangement for the Christian students that fit the grade requirements as well.

I do also think the particular and specific requirements of the muslim religion are part of this issue as well.

The good ol' USA

#100836 Feb 8, 2013
X -Man- wrote:
<quoted text>
Religion and crime.
http://law.jrank.org/pages/1944/Religion-Crim...
Not much there. I suppose "Thou shalt not kill" and "thou shalt not covet..." and so on are just part of "The Ten Suggestions" in your opinion. "Vengeance is MINE" sayeth the Lord. Do you also advocate sex education in gradeschool?

Location hidden

#100837 Feb 8, 2013
X -Man- wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
LOL
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
You are so narrow minded it is ridiculous! You read into everything and make it much more than it is.

I didn't say anything about teaching religion "instead of" science. I think both should be provided to students.

You are taking everything to extremes. Allowing someone to pray at school is in no way "religious persecution". My grandson belongs to the Christian Athletes' Club. They are allowed to meet at school and pray. They do not badger other students if they choose not to.

You have the right to your opinion, but I do not agree at all. I do not believe our ideologies are dysfunctional. That is YOUR OPINION!

Civil rights movement??? My entire Republican family (aunts, uncles, cousins, parents, etc.) were completely behind the civil rights movement so there goes that theory.

You want to call me ignorant again????? Maybe it is YOU who is ignorant!!! Did you ever think of that??? Who made you King of the World to determine who is right and who is wrong?

You have twisted most everything I have said to fit what you "think" Conservatives are. Now get over yourself!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barack Obama Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min Chicagoan by Birth 1,434,042
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 7 min Mothra 61,529
News California governor approves gender-neutral res... 7 min WeTheSheeple 9
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 13 min District 1 225,556
News Obama founder of ISIS, says Trump 17 min BabyDoll 152
News Huffpost Hill - Donald Trump Lowered His Body M... 40 min Sandy Feet 1
News News Trump on unarmed Clinton guards: 'Let's se... 1 hr Hillary is a liar 829
More from around the web