Atheists on the march in America

Aug 26, 2009 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: TurkishPress.com

When South Florida atheists held their first meeting, they were just five friends, having a beer at a bar.

Comments
67,001 - 67,020 of 70,959 Comments Last updated Monday Jul 7

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2013

Judged:

Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
Ok you asked for it bone head
Here's the facts:
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atheism#sectio...
A 2010 survey published in Encyclopedia Britannica found that is atheists at about 2.0%.
Another study assessing religiosity among scientists who are members of the American Association for the Advancement of Science found that "just over half of scientists (51%) believe in some form of deity or higher power.
Sociologist Philip Schwadel found that higher levels of education are associated with increased religious participation and religious practice in daily life.
According to a 2012 report by thePew Research Center, people describing themselves as "atheist" were 2% of the total population in the US.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_o...
According to the International Bulletin of Missionary Research, an academic journal, "about 80,000 new Christians every day, 79,000 new Muslims every day, and 300 fewer atheists every day."
Another survey attributed to Britannica shows the population of atheists at around 2.4% of the world's population
While there are more atheists than ever before as global population continually increases, the atheist percentage of the total population seem to be declining
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_religi...
Main category: Religious demographics
Sources outside of Wikipedia give differing estimates:
The CIA's World Factbook gives the world population as 7,021,836,029 (July 2012 est.) and the distribution of religions as Christian 33.39%(of which Roman Catholic 16.85%, Protestant 6.15%, Orthodox 3.96%, Anglican 1.26%), Muslim 22.74%, Hindu 13.8%, Buddhist 6.77%, Sikh 0.35%, Jewish 0.22%, Baha'i 0.11%, other religions 10.95%, atheists 2.01%
persecution. A 2006 study by researchers at the University of Minnesotainvolving a poll of 2,000 households in theUnited States found atheists to be the most distrusted of minorities,
In 2012, an article entitled Atheism in decline by Nigel Tomes declared:
In 1970 atheists (those avowing there is no God) numbered 166 million worldwide; that was almost one-in-twenty—4.5% of the globe’s population. By 2012 atheists’ number is estimated at 137 million. That’s a decline of almost 30 million. Since world population is growing, atheists’ share declined to less than one-in-fifty—under 2% in 2012. Put differently, every 24 hours there are 800 fewer atheists in the world! Atheism is in decline.
funny that non-believers are the most sdistrusted, yet all studies show they are the most moral...

seems the religious cult members fear people who behave better thanthey do.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2013

Judged:

Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
Here's the facts:
A 2010 survey published in Encyclopedia Britannica found that is atheists at about 2.0%.
Another study assessing religiosity among scientists who are members of the American Association for the Advancement of Science found that "just over half of scientists (51%) believe in some form of deity or higher power.
Sociologist Philip Schwadel found that higher levels of education are associated with increased religious participation and religious practice in daily life.
According to a 2012 report by thePew Research Center, people describing themselves as "atheist" were 2% of the total population in the US.
According to the International Bulletin of Missionary Research, an academic journal, "about 80,000 new Christians every day, 79,000 new Muslims every day, and 300 fewer atheists every day."
Another survey attributed to Britannica shows the population of atheists at around 2.4% of the world's population
While there are more atheists than ever before as global population continually increases, the atheist percentage of the total population seem to be declining
The CIA's World Factbook gives the world population as 7,021,836,029 (July 2012 est.) and the distribution of religions as Christian 33.39%(of which Roman Catholic 16.85%, Protestant 6.15%, Orthodox 3.96%, Anglican 1.26%), Muslim 22.74%, Hindu 13.8%, Buddhist 6.77%, Sikh 0.35%, Jewish 0.22%, Baha'i 0.11%, other religions 10.95%, atheists 2.01%
persecution. A 2006 study by researchers at the University of Minnesotainvolving a poll of 2,000 households in theUnited States found atheists to be the most distrusted of minorities,
In 1970 atheists (those avowing there is no God) numbered 166 million worldwide; that was almost one-in-twenty—4.5% of the globe’s population. By 2012 atheists’ number is estimated at 137 million. That’s a decline of almost 30 million. Since world population is growing, atheists’ share declined to less than one-in-fifty—under 2% in 2012. Put differently, every 24 hours there are 800 fewer atheists in the world! Atheism is in decline.
Again you just post a bunch of numbers yet you have no education to help you actually comprehend what they mean.
Lincoln

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2013

The number of atheists is not important?
Is the influence of the atheist idea increasing or decreasing in America ?
Lincoln

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2013

boooots wrote:
<quoted text>
Assuming your post was to me, but not indicated as such.
What do I believe?
I firmly believe that there is no evidence of the existence of a god, and that all books reporting a god were fables, myths, legends, or perhaps outright lies, in some cases.
I believe that there possibly could be some power or force that controls everything, but man has not yet seen or become aware of what it is, and what it does.
I believe that what we call "Creation" today has always existed, though the specific parts of it that man has been able to see or detect, have changed form many times. For example the earth was not in its current form until sometime after 4.5 billion years ago, when it probably was a molten mass which broke off of some other mass that was moving through space, or whatever the environment would be called in which it existed.
I don't have a clue how various elements combined to produce life today, other than I do know, because I studied it for 4 years of university, plus some in highschool, that all life is a combination of the various elements. What gives man and other animals the ability to be able to reason, make decisions, etc., seems very mysterious, yet I know that it can be seen acting as electrical impulses in our brains, so our mental processes are a combination of chemical and electrical actions or interactions (but my studies in science 45 years ago and longer was not at that time sufficiently progressed to explain much beyond what we knew that actually occurs).
Not having worked in the scientific research area, since university, and having read only little bits of what man has since discovered, I do not understand enough about the current knowledge of the top scientists, to be able to explain it. But I do know that no current scientific knowledge supports the myth that all things were instantly created from nothing by some mysterious being which existed when nothing existed (that alone is a contradiction).
I believe if, by a very long shot, there is a God, and a life after death, which there is nothing we can prove to indicate there is, that any God, worth having all men bow down and worship, would not be worthy of such worship if this monster would torture all humans for eternity, who did not accept the existence of it, with no evidence of an existence.
It would be a very confused perfect being that would give man the minds that some men have today, that have been able to create so many things, that men 200 years ago would likely not even have dreamed of, and yet give us not a shred of evidence of its existence.

I believe that the Flood of the Noah story is 100% a myth, because I know that there is many bits of evidence that man has found, and verified, that confirms no total loss of all life on earth, ever occurred after the earth first had living creatures on it, and also no amount of water exists or could have existed which would have covered every part of the earth to the depth of earth's highest points, which would require water miles higher than what exists today.
I also know from very basic reasoning that no man or group of men some 4000 or 6000 years ago could possibly have found, collected, transported and fed and housed for a year, samples of all living things. Even the total 7+ billion people on earth today could not do that, partly because we yet have not discovered all living things, as new species are discovered frequently on earth, that have been here for a long time, but man has not previously identified them.
Had all living things on earth died those few years ago, except those on a ship, they could not have repopulated the earth, putting things were they are today, to the extent they are today.
-
Atheists are small in number.
Is this of importance if they prove to be correct?

I can Not prove the existence of God.
Not a new observation as Plato discussed this in the Republic.

St. Croix valley

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2013

Lincoln wrote:
The number of atheists is not important?
Is the influence of the atheist idea increasing or decreasing in America ?
greatly increasing. and a good thing too, the farther nations get from religious cults, the better off they are.

St. Croix valley

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2013

Lincoln wrote:
<quoted text>
-
Atheists are small in number.
Is this of importance if they prove to be correct?
I can Not prove the existence of God.
Not a new observation as Plato discussed this in the Republic.
but we can show hte god of the bible is a lie...

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2013

John wrote:
Going to bed but will touch on a reply. Remember I've been doing this for four years and I'm admittedly impatient by now. Your flying spaghetti monster routine wasn't exactly ingratiating but in fairness you probably are miffed with my vernacular. I do mention I'm specifically addressing antitheism from time to time.
Why do atheists believe in love? Do you believe we have a conscience? Can you prove it?
The question regarding quantitative analysis- how do you decide what is most or least likely of the following: always was, prime mover, something from nothing. Show your work. Oh, prime mover is probably what you are thinking. Check out Aristotle and Aquinas for further.
The evidence isn't good enough for YOU. There isn't any evidence good enough for you. God, higher power, is just one of many. I believe my faith is reasoned, but you keep forgetting; either purposefully or buying into the purposeful forum narrative that I am here to persuade, convert, or proselytize. God need not even be mentioned. It is this forum that attempts to marginalize God. I've just called the bluff and exposed the evidentiary standard in the process.
It does require you to have evidence when you say there is no God. All these posts about simple disbelief belies that assertation. I know the score.
By the way I post from my phone and things are sometimes jumbled or misspelled as a result. You see some in this forum alluded to my ip address when I used to use a computer. Many others have physically threatened me. So much for freethinking.
It is impossible and also not required to have evidence to not believe in the existence of a god. Since there is currently no evidence today or prior that a god does exist, it might seem the logical conclusion (though not proof) that no god exists.

We can only disprove specific false claims of the existence a god, many of which are made on Topix daily.

Regardless of the various "proofs" presented by believers (and I respect believers and respect their right to believe whatever makes them feel good, but not to demonize others who do not believe as they do), none of the proofs have been actual proofs, because either they don't exist, or the "proofs" cited are not actually proving what the claimant says.

That many renowned clergy will state that one believes in a God only on faith, since God cannot be proved, tends to support that there is no verified proof of the existence of a god.

Millions of people throughout history have been taught as they were being raised that God exists, and that it is necessary to believe that He exists to be able to not suffer horrible torture for all of eternity. That is admittedly a pretty strong incentive to keep the faith, especially if you have never seen any reason not to.
Lincoln

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2013

woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>greatly increasing. and a good thing too, the farther nations get from religious cults, the better off they are.
Number of atheists/agnostics often depends on how the question is phrased.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2013

Judged:

Lincoln wrote:
<quoted text>
Faith in God, as you observe can Not be proved.
Christian seem to persist in their belief for 2000 years.
Considering how short a time 2000 years is relative to the existence of man on this planet is that such a remarkable feat, especially looking at how Christianity was spread and how it is maintained, by reminding people frequently that even questioning it will get them the 'lake of fire'? Most people are far more comfortable not thinking than having to think about the possibility that they will burn for eternity if they don't believe in God.

Also much of the information that man has discovered which disproves much of the Bible was relatively recently discovered.

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2013

boooots wrote:
<quoted text>
Assuming your post was to me, but not indicated as such.
What do I believe?
I firmly believe that there is no evidence of the existence of a god, and that all books reporting a god were fables, myths, legends, or perhaps outright lies, in some cases.
I believe that there possibly could be some power or force that controls everything, but man has not yet seen or become aware of what it is, and what it does.
I believe that what we call "Creation" today has always existed, though the specific parts of it that man has been able to see or detect, have changed form many times. For example the earth was not in its current form until sometime after 4.5 billion years ago, when it probably was a molten mass which broke off of some other mass that was moving through space, or whatever the environment would be called in which it existed.
I don't have a clue how various elements combined to produce life today, other than I do know, because I studied it for 4 years of university, plus some in highschool, that all life is a combination of the various elements. What gives man and other animals the ability to be able to reason, make decisions, etc., seems very mysterious, yet I know that it can be seen acting as electrical impulses in our brains, so our mental processes are a combination of chemical and electrical actions or interactions (but my studies in science 45 years ago and longer was not at that time sufficiently progressed to explain much beyond what we knew that actually occurs).
Not having worked in the scientific research area, since university, and having read only little bits of what man has since discovered, I do not understand enough about the current knowledge of the top scientists, to be able to explain it. But I do know that no current scientific knowledge supports the myth that all things were instantly created from nothing by some mysterious being which existed when nothing existed (that alone is a contradiction).
I believe if, by a very long shot, there is a God, and a life after death, which there is nothing we can prove to indicate there is, that any God, worth having all men bow down and worship, would not be worthy of such worship if this monster would torture all humans for eternity, who did not accept the existence of it, with no evidence of an existence.
It would be a very confused perfect being that would give man the minds that some men have today, that have been able to create so many things, that men 200 years ago would likely not even have dreamed of, and yet give us not a shred of evidence of its existence.
I know that man has seemed to have always had "gods" which he "created" to try to explain the many mysteries of his life that, at least until the very recent times, were entirely unknown as to their cause.
I believe that the Flood of the Noah story is 100% a myth, because I know that there is many bits of evidence that man has found, and verified, that confirms no total loss of all life on earth, ever occurred after the earth first had living creatures on it, and also no amount of water exists or could have existed which would have covered every part of the earth to the depth of earth's highest points, which would require water miles higher than what exists today.
I also know from very basic reasoning that no man or group of men some 4000 or 6000 years ago could possibly have found, collected, transported and fed and housed for a year, samples of all living things. Even the total 7+ billion people on earth today could not do that, partly because we yet have not discovered all living things, as new species are discovered frequently on earth, that have been here for a long time, but man has not previously identified them.
Had all living things on earth died those few years ago, except those on a ship, they could not have repopulated the earth, putting things were they are today, to the extent they are today.
I like this guy

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2013

Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
Here's the facts:
I found this on that page you posted.
"According to a 2012 report by thePew Research Center, people describing themselves as "atheist" were 2% of the total population in the US. A 2012 Gallup survey reported that 13% of people surveyed worldwide self-report to be atheists.[186] In the United States, there was a 1% to 5% increase in self-reported atheism from 2005 to 2012, and a larger drop in those who self-identified as "religious", down by 13%, from 73% to 60%.[187]"
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text> http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_o...
And this at that site:
"A study has shown atheism in the West to be particularly prevalent among scientists, a tendency already quite marked at the beginning of the 20th century, developing into a dominant one during the course of the century. In 1914, James H. Leuba found that 58% of 1,000 randomly selected U.S. natural scientists expressed "disbelief or doubt in the existence of God" (defined as a personal God which interacts directly with human beings). The same study, repeated in 1996, gave a similar percentage of 60.7%. Expressions of positive disbelief rose from 52% to 72%.[21](See also relationship between religion and science.) This survey is not without criticisms however.[22]"

As well as this
"The number of Americans who do not identify with any religion continues to grow at a rapid pace. One-fifth of the U.S. public and a third of adults under 30 are religiously unaffiliated today, the highest percentages ever in Pew Research Center polling. In the last five years alone, the unaffiliated have increased from just@ over 15% to just under 20% of all U.S. adults. Their ranks now include more than 13 million self-described atheists and agnostics (nearly 6% of the U.S. public), as well as nearly 33 million people who say they have no particular religious affiliation (14%).[4]"
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>A 2006 study by researchers at the University of Minnesotainvolving a poll of 2,000 households in theUnited States found atheists to be the most distrusted of minorities,
They are the most distrusted... but the most peaceful.
http://www.youtube.com/watch...

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 21, 2013

EmpAtheist wrote:
<quoted text>
I found this on that page you posted.
"According to a 2012 report by thePew Research Center, people describing themselves as "atheist" were 2% of the total population in the US. A 2012 Gallup survey reported that 13% of people surveyed worldwide self-report to be atheists.[186] In the United States, there was a 1% to 5% increase in self-reported atheism from 2005 to 2012, and a larger drop in those who self-identified as "religious", down by 13%, from 73% to 60%.[187]"
<quoted text>
And this at that site:
"A study has shown atheism in the West to be particularly prevalent among scientists, a tendency already quite marked at the beginning of the 20th century, developing into a dominant one during the course of the century. In 1914, James H. Leuba found that 58% of 1,000 randomly selected U.S. natural scientists expressed "disbelief or doubt in the existence of God" (defined as a personal God which interacts directly with human beings). The same study, repeated in 1996, gave a similar percentage of 60.7%. Expressions of positive disbelief rose from 52% to 72%.[21](See also relationship between religion and science.) This survey is not without criticisms however.[22]"
As well as this
"The number of Americans who do not identify with any religion continues to grow at a rapid pace. One-fifth of the U.S. public and a third of adults under 30 are religiously unaffiliated today, the highest percentages ever in Pew Research Center polling. In the last five years alone, the unaffiliated have increased from just@ over 15% to just under 20% of all U.S. adults. Their ranks now include more than 13 million self-described atheists and agnostics (nearly 6% of the U.S. public), as well as nearly 33 million people who say they have no particular religious affiliation (14%).[4]"
<quoted text>
They are the most distrusted... but the most peaceful.
http://www.youtube.com/watch...
Yep. Langy deliberately lied with his post.

Lying is his only strategy, it appears.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 21, 2013

woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>funny that non-believers are the most sdistrusted, yet all studies show they are the most moral...

seems the religious cult members fear people who behave better thanthey do.
"studies show they are the most moral"

No it doesn't, it's been a proven fact that the prisons are full of atheist and they claim to be theist only in hope of parole.

Here's a study from the U of M only a few block from you I believe.

"persecution. A study by researchers at the University of Minnesota involving a poll of 2,000 households in the United States found atheists to be the most distrusted of minorities, "

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 21, 2013

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>Again you just post a bunch of numbers yet you have no education to help you actually comprehend what they mean.
It is you that can't seem to grasp the meaning of these numbers.

I post them because I am we'll aware of there meaning and by the reactions I get from other atheist they understand there meanings also.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 21, 2013

Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>Yep. Langy deliberately lied with his post.

Lying is his only strategy, it appears.
Nope posted facts.

There is item where the writers of Wikipedia try and cover things up by saying well in some country's it is believed not all atheist admit they are atheist. Pure conjecture not facts.
I posted the facts that Wikipedia
Just hates to admit to.

St. Croix valley

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 21, 2013

Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
"studies show they are the most moral"
No it doesn't, it's been a proven fact that the prisons are full of atheist and they claim to be theist only in hope of parole.
"persecution. A study by researchers at the University of Minnesota involving a poll of 2,000 households in the United States found atheists to be the most distrusted of minorities, "
in fact, most people in prison are people of faith.

yes, your cults do teach people to fear atheists, yet all studies show they are far more peaceful, moral people...

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 21, 2013

Judged:

Langoliers wrote:
Actually? You lie once more: studies show that atheism is UNDER REPRESENTED in prison.

Meaning? 90% of all prisoners belong to YOUR HATE CULT!

This is not surprising!

Genuine Christianity teaches it's followers that there are NO CONSEQUENCES OF ANY SORT!

All you have to do, after committing much crime? Is to say, "Jewsus! Forgive me!" Extra points for showing strong emotional agony when saying the magic phrase.

And VIOLA! No consequences for you Genuine Christians

Unfortunately for YOU? Secular law has a somewhat different take on things...

... and thus?

90% of all prisoners belong to your hate-cult.

How about that?

You people are too stupid to understand why so many of you are in prison...!

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 21, 2013

Judged:

Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope posted facts.
There is item where the writers of Wikipedia try and cover things up by saying well in some country's it is believed not all atheist admit they are atheist. Pure conjecture not facts.
I posted the facts that Wikipedia
Just hates to admit to.
You lie. Proof? Here is a smattering of proof you are LYING.
Of course-- since your habit is to LIE, and LIE ALWAYS, we already knew that.
" http://articles.washingtonpost.com/2012-08-13... ;
Huffington Post: Atheism Rises, Religiosity Declines In America
" http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/14/athe... ;
Examiner: New study: Religion in decline in the U.S., atheism on the rise
" http://www.examiner.com/article/new-study-rel... ;
Yahoo News: The rise of atheism in America
" http://news.yahoo.com/rise-atheism-america-11... ;
UK Metro: Census 2011: Christian numbers fall with atheism on the rise
" http://metro.co.uk/2012/12/11/census-2011-chr... ;
Atheism on the rise in Rwanda
" http://www.patheos.com/blogs/wwjtd/2013/03/at... ;
Ireland & the world: Religiosity Plummets In Ireland And Declines Worldwide; Atheism On The Rise
" http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/08/reli... ;
World-wide:
Christian Monitor: Atheism on the rise around the globe
" http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Global-News/20... ;
Christian Post: Atheism on the Rise in Asian and European Nations, Poll Finds
" http://www.christianpost.com/news/atheism-on-... ;
In Wiki:
The entire article lists country after country where atheism/non-belief is on the rise, not falling as YOU LIE.
" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_... ;

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 21, 2013

EmpAtheist wrote:
<quoted text>
I like this guy
I kind of do too, but I suppose it would be rather narcissistic of me to dwell on it too much.:)
Lincoln

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 21, 2013

Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
Here's the facts:
At 2% atheists seem to blend in with the American public.
Atheists on a mission to convince those who believe in God that they are wrong seem a minority.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••