Atheists on the march in America

Atheists on the march in America

There are 70650 comments on the TurkishPress.com story from Aug 26, 2009, titled Atheists on the march in America. In it, TurkishPress.com reports that:

When South Florida atheists held their first meeting, they were just five friends, having a beer at a bar.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TurkishPress.com.

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#69709 Mar 17, 2013
John wrote:
<quoted text>
He said it so it must be true. That's how evidence works amongst the intellectualy dishonest antitheist.
I didn't imply i simply believed him. Actually it was the opposite which he recognized.

That being said. I looked at a few of the 2009 pages and people are answering you. you are just not satisfied with the answers. And that is perfectly fine...

I am going to look back some more and reply later

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

#69710 Mar 17, 2013
Langoliers wrote:
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki /List_of_religious_populations

Main category: Religious demographics
Sources outside of Wikipedia give differing estimates:

Note the (July 2012) date.

The CIA's World Factbook gives the world population as 7,021,836,029 (July 2012 est.) and the distribution of religions as Christian 33.39%(of which Roman Catholic 16.85%, Protestant 6.15%, Orthodox 3.96%, Anglican 1.26%), Muslim 22.74%, Hindu 13.8%, Buddhist 6.77%, Sikh 0.35%, Jewish 0.22%, Baha'i 0.11%, other religions 10.95%, atheists 2.01%

persecution. A 2006 study by researchers at the University of Minnesotainvolving a poll of 2,000 households in theUnited States found atheists to be the most distrusted of minorities,

In 2012, an article entitled Atheism in decline by Nigel Tomes declared:

In 1970 atheists (those avowing there is no God) numbered 166 million worldwide; that was almost one-in-twenty—4.5% of the globe’s population. By 2012 atheists’ number is estimated at 137 million. That’s a decline of almost 30 million. Since world population is growing, atheists’ share declined to less than one-in-fifty—under 2% in 2012. Put differently, every 24 hours there are 800 fewer atheists in the world! Atheism is in decline.
Atheists are worrying studies show atheism is shrinking. Why is atheism on the decline?
Now that Christopher Hitchens has died...it seems that atheism is constantly going downhill.
And to top it all off...
Recently I was reading an article on how atheism is on the decline at http://www.shockawenow.net in the LINKS area. It seems that us atheists are not making good enough progress. The study shows atheism is actually now going backwards and shrinking world wide. About 300 people per day are leaving atheism as a result of the new world economy and atheism not answering the problems people have. What can we do as atheists to turn the tide and help atheism grow again..and not shrink any longer? Any ides?

Poor atheist what can be done to save their religion! Oh please help them!

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#69711 Mar 17, 2013
John wrote:
You make the presupposition that there is no evidence without admitting you do not have the scientifically measurable evidence to support your position of nothing.
I think I am new to this thread but definitely not to the topic or Topix in general, and regardless of the topic, God seems to be brought into every topic I am on by people who seem to think their role is to convert people, rather than discuss whatever is the stated topic.

Atheists have no position in the simple definition of 'atheism' because atheism means to not have a belief in a god. So we cannot determine a person's position on anything except possibly deities, by that word.

On every other possible issue that man might talk about one cannot know the position of an atheist simply by knowing that one is an atheist.(Of course that excludes any topic which would indirectly assume the existence of a God, such as discussing the authorship of the Bible).

My position as a former longtime active (extremely) Christian, raised in a Christian family/community/society, is that at the present time I do not believe in a God, but I will not exclude the vague possibility that some god might exist beyond the knowledge of man. I believe that all current beliefs in a god are based 100% on myth, legends, stories, deliberate manipulation of people for purposes of control, or some form of gain for those promoting the belief.

I know of no evidence to suggest that there is a god, and I know from having lived, studied, and been very interested in the topic all my life, that no one "knows" that a God exists (here I am speaking specifically of the Abrahamic God which seems to be what most people argue about on Topix, but it would apply to all other gods too).

There are atheists who have studied the various religions/gods/beliefs and either written about why they don't believe or taught courses on that. There are some who take up various issues, such as illegal (in the USA) usage of religion in publicly funded schools. Some just like to argue with believers because it is a very easy topic to argue.

We do know, though I have seen some posters post more than 50,000 posts (one single person) denying this, that current man has no evidence that has ever been found and confirmed as absolutely true that any gods exist or previously existed. Though that will get a strong reaction from people stating that is a false statement, it is correct. A simple point to prove that is that if evidence had been confirmed and verified to prove the existence of a god, or to be more specific to some of the world's major religions, God, then this topic would be redundant. It would be similar to still arguing that the earth is flat, when we know absolutely that the earth is not flat, though that was once a belief which if one advocated against it, they could be executed.

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#69712 Mar 17, 2013
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
Atheists are worrying studies show atheism is shrinking. Why is atheism on the decline?
Now that Christopher Hitchens has died...it seems that atheism is constantly going downhill.
And to top it all off...
Recently I was reading an article on how atheism is on the decline at http://www.shockawenow.net in the LINKS area. It seems that us atheists are not making good enough progress. The study shows atheism is actually now going backwards and shrinking world wide. About 300 people per day are leaving atheism as a result of the new world economy and atheism not answering the problems people have. What can we do as atheists to turn the tide and help atheism grow again..and not shrink any longer? Any ides?
I think the question should be what can we do as fellow inhabitants of this earth to solve the various problems that man and the earth face. As atheists, how and why would one get them together specifically because they are non entity actually. They are just anyone and everyone who has no belief in a god.

We definitely need to be doing things to stop the problems in the world that are being caused specifically by some people in the name of their religion or their God (and of course all other problems too). Such things as terrorism, papacy, and other organizations or groups that are channeling their goals to do harm to someone in the name of a god needs to be addressed, but that does not mean to harm religious people, other than policing those who promote harm to others, in any form.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#69713 Mar 17, 2013
Langoliers wrote:
<quoted text>
And to top it all off...
Funny, but religious people are always the ones lying about it, and bringing up trends from the start. Yet none of you can read statistics correctly. Funny that.
ARGUING with IDIOTS

Redding, CA

#69714 Mar 17, 2013
boooots wrote:
<quoted text>I think I am new to this thread but definitely not to the topic or Topix in general, and regardless of the topic, God seems to be brought into every topic I am on by people who seem to think their role is to convert people, rather than discuss whatever is the stated topic.

Atheists have no position in the simple definition of 'atheism' because atheism means to not have a belief in a god. So we cannot determine a person's position on anything except possibly deities, by that word.

On every other possible issue that man might talk about one cannot know the position of an atheist simply by knowing that one is an atheist.(Of course that excludes any topic which would indirectly assume the existence of a God, such as discussing the authorship of the Bible).

My position as a former longtime active (extremely) Christian, raised in a Christian family/community/society, is that at the present time I do not believe in a God, but I will not exclude the vague possibility that some god might exist beyond the knowledge of man. I believe that all current beliefs in a god are based 100% on myth, legends, stories, deliberate manipulation of people for purposes of control, or some form of gain for those promoting the belief.

I know of no evidence to suggest that there is a god, and I know from having lived, studied, and been very interested in the topic all my life, that no one "knows" that a God exists (here I am speaking specifically of the Abrahamic God which seems to be what most people argue about on Topix, but it would apply to all other gods too).

There are atheists who have studied the various religions/gods/beliefs and either written about why they don't believe or taught courses on that. There are some who take up various issues, such as illegal (in the USA) usage of religion in publicly funded schools. Some just like to argue with believers because it is a very easy topic to argue.

We do know, though I have seen some posters post more than 50,000 posts (one single person) denying this, that current man has no evidence that has ever been found and confirmed as absolutely true that any gods exist or previously existed. Though that will get a strong reaction from people stating that is a false statement, it is correct. A simple point to prove that is that if evidence had been confirmed and verified to prove the existence of a god, or to be more specific to some of the world's major religions, God, then this topic would be redundant. It would be similar to still arguing that the earth is flat, when we know absolutely that the earth is not flat, though that was once a belief which if one advocated against it, they could be executed.
Who taught you this stuff?

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#69715 Mar 17, 2013
ARGUING with IDIOTS wrote:
<quoted text>
Who taught you this stuff?
Reality...

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#69716 Mar 17, 2013
boooots wrote:
<quoted text>
I think I am new to this thread but definitely not to the topic or Topix in general, and regardless of the topic, God seems to be brought into every topic I am on by people who seem to think their role is to convert people, rather than discuss whatever is the stated topic.
A most thoughtful reply. Well done!

It's a pity your rather well-written post will fall upon deaf ears.

And Nothing-John will ignore your post, as if you never made it.

I suggest you copy and save the link, for future responses.

:)
John

Kansas City, MO

#69717 Mar 17, 2013
I was unaware atheists weren't believers LOL. Why don't you go find these ahem relevant answers you claim to have provided.

Stump an antitheist! Ask them what they believe.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#69718 Mar 17, 2013
John wrote:
I was unaware atheists weren't believers LOL. Why don't you go find these ahem relevant answers you claim to have provided.
Still no argument from John.
John

Kansas City, MO

#69719 Mar 17, 2013
Your forum Bob. Your nothing. I don't debate nothing. I will gladly compare the evidences and reasons I believe in a prime mover vs ???????; oh yeah you have avoided this since 2009.

You skipped the questions and did not provide what you claim you have done hundreds of times. You are a liar and that's repeatable and observable.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#69720 Mar 17, 2013
John wrote:
Your forum Bob. Your nothing. I don't debate nothing. I will gladly compare the evidences and reasons I believe in a prime mover vs ???????; oh yeah you have avoided this since 2009.
You skipped the questions and did not provide what you claim you have done hundreds of times. You are a liar and that's repeatable and observable.
Still no argument from John.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#69721 Mar 17, 2013
John wrote:
No-- I answered them years ago. You just ignored them as you do every day.

And you lie about it, of course...

Still no argument from you.
John

Kansas City, MO

#69722 Mar 17, 2013
You lie. This is nothing. Do you have any evidence in this arena that meets the standards you hold others accountable to? Yes or no.

You skipped the questions by the way.
Lincoln

United States

#69724 Mar 17, 2013
John wrote:
Atheists discovered that using quantitative analysis one can not prove God exists.

The Quality of life escapes them.

Science in silent on the existence of God.

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#69725 Mar 17, 2013
John wrote:
How do you feel about boooots's response?
John

Kansas City, MO

#69726 Mar 17, 2013
Lincoln wrote:
<quoted text>
Atheists discovered that using quantitative analysis one can not prove God exists.
Science in silent on the existence of God.
Apparently they don't read Gould.
John

Kansas City, MO

#69727 Mar 17, 2013
EmpAtheist wrote:
<quoted text>
How do you feel about boooots's response?
Disbelief is not belief. I just skim for evidence or an accountable position of belief he provided neither. Did you read my posts? Did you answer my question regarding evidence quantifaction?
EdSed

Hamilton, UK

#69728 Mar 17, 2013
Lincoln wrote:
<quoted text>
Right back at-ya!
John

Kansas City, MO

#69729 Mar 17, 2013
Absolutely. Right back at ya. Originally I simply asked the forum what they believed and noted that antitheism is in my experience all too often the default. Being a believer is/was irrelevant. I was accurate and antitheists showed their true colors, lashing out against a God they don't believe in and a God I was not attempting to shove down their throats.
Ruling out possibilities is not freethinking. We don't know what we don't know. Attacking/marginalizing belief isn't intellectually honest when nothing meets the repeatable and observable standard. Four years of no evidence in the atheism forum is enough for me to conclude this. I've asked the question hundreds of times and many claim to have provided it, but that's a lie. No sugarcoating it.
The conversation devolved quickly as (the way I see it) their was a group attack effort to bring this God they seem to hate into the equation. This did not dissuade me as I chose to stay on point. I was clear my intentions were not to make any claims, I was an am.simply pointing out intellectual dishonesty.
I continued trying to get the "rules" for evidence after all attempts to get answers to legitiamate questions failed. I sought these rules in response to the neverending attacks to further expose the forum. I offered to debate the evidences/reasons I believe in a prime mover vs any accountable position of belief that meets the criteria I was given. This challenge was not accepted. There will be claims otherwise but I guarrantee you won't find what I've asked. Now imagine doing this dance for four years simply because I refuse to debate nothing. I didn't set out to mock simple disbelief, that fine but this isn't that and I think you know it.
Name a subject I get to ask all the questions on and your job is to defend it, over and over and over and over again. How about science? Get my point? It's even more ridiculous considering I've exposed the standard. Remember my question regarding evidence quantification? Never answered relevantly.
Nonbelievers like yourself leave pretty quickly and they should. You may find it glib but what is the point of a forum about nothing? This is an agenda that stifles true freethought.
A simple I don't know...end forum would have sufficed. Now its a game to me to see how many years this forum will be intellectualy dishonest in their fight for nothing.
I appreciate your consideration but I've done this multiple times with decent folk like yourself. I won't debate in front of the kids without the reasonable prerequisites I've asked for. A simple no to my question should have been the response years ago LOL. Back to cut and paste. ;)
Reading comprehension is not your strong suit.,

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barack Obama Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 1 min RoxLo 1,264,078
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 1 min ritedownthemiddle 54,337
News Obama: Dems getting 'squishy' over Iran deal 1 min Synque 84
News Obama to Mandate Steeper Emissions Cuts From US... 1 min Moliner 2
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 1 min Rogue Scholar 05 194,649
News The President has failed us (Jun '12) 1 min -Dont Panic- 336,859
News Al Sharpton blasts 'racist' Trump adviser for '... 8 min An NFL Fan 65
More from around the web