Atheists on the march in America

Atheists on the march in America

There are 70650 comments on the TurkishPress.com story from Aug 26, 2009, titled Atheists on the march in America. In it, TurkishPress.com reports that:

When South Florida atheists held their first meeting, they were just five friends, having a beer at a bar.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TurkishPress.com.

“There is no such thing”

Since: May 08

as a reasonable person

#65023 Nov 19, 2012

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Virgin_birth
Egyptian mythology
The popular idea that Horus was born of a virgin Isis is confounded by the fact that Herodotus records that the Egyptians believed that Isis was impregnated by having intercourse with the severed penis of the dead Osiris.

Since: Mar 11

Louisville, KY

#65024 Nov 19, 2012
Wowsers! What a great opinion piece complete with such insights as ewwwwww and no really added in for good measure.

Now our GREEK let me repeat for empysis GREEK historian Herodotus may have heard another version of the story, misunderstood it, or may have been trying to make the Non Greek Egyptians ( Ewwwww!)look bad. Regardless of what this GREEK historian may or may not have personally documented, it in no way shape or form disproves the mountain of evidence we have from actual GASP Egyptian dig sites that show the correct version of the story.( No really.)

So my factually crushed half wit as you go to work greeting customers at Walmart, say a prayer and remember. Osiris born in heaven or the spirit world to Geb and Nut. Horus born to the virgin Isis by a miraculous conception by the Nile river and the virgin mother Isis even breast fed and coddled her savior son lovingly by the Nile.

Gave birth to him in a cave by the Nile river.... Which is on earth... Not the spirit world like where his Father Osiris was conceived and born.... It's ok that you got the two mixed up. I was glad to help you figure it out.

Now don't be late to work, Walmart is going to be busy this time of year, lots of folks for you to greet.

Think about what I said. Re read it until it sinks in okay? No charge this time but remember not everyone has the patience to hold your hand and guide you all the time yes? That's a good half wit!

That'll do half wit that'll do.
Lil Ticked wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =8U1Grl4HSRUXX
http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Virgin_birth
Egyptian mythology
The popular idea that Horus was born of a virgin Isis is confounded by the fact that Herodotus records that the Egyptians believed that Isis was impregnated by having intercourse with the severed penis of the dead Osiris.

“There is no such thing”

as a reasonable person

#65025 Nov 19, 2012
Givemeliberty wrote:
Wowsers! What a great opinion piece complete with such insights as ewwwwww and no really added in for good measure.
Now our GREEK let me repeat for empysis GREEK historian Herodotus may have heard another version of the story, misunderstood it, or may have been trying to make the Non Greek Egyptians ( Ewwwww!)look bad. Regardless of what this GREEK historian may or may not have personally documented, it in no way shape or form disproves the mountain of evidence we have from actual GASP Egyptian dig sites that show the correct version of the story.( No really.)
So my factually crushed half wit as you go to work greeting customers at Walmart, say a prayer and remember. Osiris born in heaven or the spirit world to Geb and Nut. Horus born to the virgin Isis by a miraculous conception by the Nile river and the virgin mother Isis even breast fed and coddled her savior son lovingly by the Nile.
Gave birth to him in a cave by the Nile river.... Which is on earth... Not the spirit world like where his Father Osiris was conceived and born.... It's ok that you got the two mixed up. I was glad to help you figure it out.
Now don't be late to work, Walmart is going to be busy this time of year, lots of folks for you to greet.
Think about what I said. Re read it until it sinks in okay? No charge this time but remember not everyone has the patience to hold your hand and guide you all the time yes? That's a good half wit!
That'll do half wit that'll do.
<quoted text>
link?

“There is no such thing”

as a reasonable person

#65026 Nov 19, 2012
Attempts to resolve the conflicts between these different gods in different parts of Egypt resulted in at least fifteen distinct forms of Horus. They can be divided fairly easily into two groups, solar and Osirian, based on the parentage of the particular form of Horus. If he is said to be the son of Isis, he is Osirian; otherwise he is a solar deity. The solar Horus was called the son of Atum, or Re, or Geb and Nut variously.

United States

#65027 Nov 19, 2012
Read it slowly half wit.

I am glad to get you lined out on the differences between Horus and Osiris :)

You are welcome
Lil Ticked wrote:
<quoted text>link?

Since: Feb 08

Tampa, FL

#65028 Nov 19, 2012
Lane wrote:
The overwhelming majority of mankind throughout history believe in God.
Appeal to Popular Belief is a logical fallacy. I guess you missed that.
postscript

Santa Fe, NM

#65029 Nov 19, 2012
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
“B”, the Big Bang. As the prime mover, it created a singularity from which everything else in the Universe, including your god delusion, derived. That’s my complete and final answer, Rege. Lock it in.
Now STFU, you stump.
<quoted text>
The Big Bang? Where did the stuff that went "bang" come from? What was it? Why did it go bang? To say that everything came from the Big Bang is like saying babies come from maternity wards, the theory don't go back far enough.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#65030 Nov 19, 2012
postscript wrote:
<quoted text>
The Big Bang? Where did the stuff that went "bang" come from? What was it? Why did it go bang? To say that everything came from the Big Bang is like saying babies come from maternity wards, the theory don't go back far enough.
This post just demonstrates that you lack even a rudimentary understanding of physics.

Tampa, FL

#65031 Nov 19, 2012
postscript wrote:
The Big Bang? Where did the stuff that went "bang" come from?
We don't know yet.
postscript wrote:
What was it?
An inflaton field.
postscript wrote:
Why did it go bang?
Random quantum fluctuations triggering a phase transition.
postscript wrote:
To say that everything came from the Big Bang is like saying babies come from maternity wards, the theory don't go back far enough.
We don't have enough information to go farther back yet.
postscript

Santa Fe, NM

#65032 Nov 19, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
This post just demonstrates that you lack even a rudimentary understanding of physics.
Or you cannot think beyond the box of acceptable scientific paradigms. The origin of the universe remains invisible to the usual kind of scientific scrutiny. Not that such understanding is beyond our comprehension, only that it is beyond the method's mistakenly used to acheive it. At present, science's net of evidence is equipped only to catch certain kinds of fish because its net is constructed of webs of "assumptions" that can only hold certain varieties of reality, while others escape its understanding entirely.

Example - quantum theory holds that probability, not absolutes, rules any physical system. Yet it is impossible, even in principle, to predict the behavior of any single atom. All physicists can do is predict the average properties of a large collection of atoms.
postscript

Santa Fe, NM

#65033 Nov 19, 2012
Drew Smith wrote:
<quoted text>
We don't know yet.
<quoted text>
An inflaton field.
<quoted text>
Random quantum fluctuations triggering a phase transition.
<quoted text>
We don't have enough information to go farther back yet.
The fact is nobody really knows where we came from. We have our theories - verified but inferential knowledge, grounded on unverifiable assumptions. What it boils down to then is whose package of "theoretical evidence" is more believable - makes more sense. It is entirely possible there was no Big Bang - that the universe has always existed - both expanding and contracting, recycling its energy.

Lexington, KY

#65034 Nov 19, 2012
So Jesus and his magical fish did it right?:))
postscript wrote:
<quoted text>
Or you cannot think beyond the box of acceptable scientific paradigms. The origin of the universe remains invisible to the usual kind of scientific scrutiny. Not that such understanding is beyond our comprehension, only that it is beyond the method's mistakenly used to acheive it. At present, science's net of evidence is equipped only to catch certain kinds of fish because its net is constructed of webs of "assumptions" that can only hold certain varieties of reality, while others escape its understanding entirely.
Example - quantum theory holds that probability, not absolutes, rules any physical system. Yet it is impossible, even in principle, to predict the behavior of any single atom. All physicists can do is predict the average properties of a large collection of atoms.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#65035 Nov 19, 2012
postscript wrote:
<quoted text>
You just posted more evidence that you know nothing of scientific understanding. Good job, you're making religious people look like fools still, the status quo.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#65036 Nov 19, 2012
postscript wrote:
<quoted text>
The fact is nobody really knows where we came from. We have our theories - verified but inferential knowledge, grounded on unverifiable assumptions. What it boils down to then is whose package of "theoretical evidence" is more believable - makes more sense. It is entirely possible there was no Big Bang - that the universe has always existed - both expanding and contracting, recycling its energy.
If this was the case, then science still has more believable answers.
postscript

Santa Fe, NM

#65037 Nov 19, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
You just posted more evidence that you know nothing of scientific understanding. Good job, you're making religious people look like fools still, the status quo.
You prove you operate on assumptions. I never said I was religious.
postscript

Santa Fe, NM

#65038 Nov 19, 2012
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
If this was the case, then science still has more believable answers.
Like religion - conventional science supports only those theories that it deems fit to espouse. In the same way organized religion considers its members "the chosen", conventional science believes its membership the only fitting place for the elite, the reasonable, and the logical. Any views considered "unscientific" are completely ignored. Like the New York Times, science publishes "all the news that's fit to print," meaning all the news that fits into the officially-accepted view of reality. That news is already invisibly censored, and yet we're supposed to live our lives in accordance with that official definition of experience.

Tampa, FL

#65039 Nov 19, 2012
postscript wrote:
The fact is nobody really knows where we came from. We have our theories - verified but inferential knowledge, grounded on unverifiable assumptions.
The only "unverifiable assumption" that grounds scientific theories is that the Universe is understandable.

If it isn't, then you're free to make up whatever magical explanation you want to make yourself happy. But don't expect others to buy into it as "truth".
postscript wrote:
It is entirely possible there was no Big Bang - that the universe has always existed - both expanding and contracting, recycling its energy.
Is it possible? Certainly. Does current evidence point to that possibility? Not that I know of.
postscript

Santa Fe, NM

#65040 Nov 19, 2012
Drew Smith wrote:
<quoted text>
The only "unverifiable assumption" that grounds scientific theories is that the Universe is understandable.
The same can be said of religion.
Drew Smith wrote:
<quoted text>
If it isn't, then you're free to make up whatever magical explanation you want to make yourself happy. But don't expect others to buy into it as "truth".
The same can be said of science.
Drew Smith wrote:
<quoted text>
Is it possible? Certainly. Does current evidence point to that possibility? Not that I know of.
When you believe this - you shut yourself off to equally plausible albeit "unscientific" explanations.

Lexington, KY

#65041 Nov 19, 2012
Is Jesus and his magical fish one if those plausible explanations?

:))

You half wits crack me up!
postscript wrote:
<quoted text>
The same can be said of religion.
<quoted text>
The same can be said of science.
<quoted text>
When you believe this - you shut yourself off to equally plausible albeit "unscientific" explanations.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#65042 Nov 19, 2012
postscript wrote:
<quoted text>
You prove you operate on assumptions. I never said I was religious.
It's a logical and safe assumption, just because you want to lie and pretend to not be biased, you are demonstrating pure religious bias.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barack Obama Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 11 min Dr Guru 194,357
News The President has failed us (Jun '12) 26 min NTR1 336,242
News The View that Putin's Advisor Has on Obama's Uk... (Nov '14) 54 min Cassandra_ 2,833
News Obama: 'I think if I ran I could win, but I can't' 1 hr Moliner 1
News Social Security disability fund projected to ru... 1 hr USA finest 75
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 hr ritedownthemiddle 1,262,073
News Clinton won't answer Keystone pipeline question 2 hr OccupyThis 3
More from around the web