Gun control debate heating up in stat...

Gun control debate heating up in statehouses

There are 2688 comments on the NBC29 story from Dec 21, 2012, titled Gun control debate heating up in statehouses. In it, NBC29 reports that:

By The Associated Press Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and stories that will be talked about Friday: President Barack Obama says his administration has received an outpouring of support for stricter gun laws following last week's elementary school massacre in Connecticut, telling respondents to an online... President Barack ... (more)

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NBC29.

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

#2657 Feb 3, 2013
eternal cynic wrote:
How many deaths in the US last year as the result of *all* rifles?
How many deaths in the US last year as the result of hand guns?

Or do you just want to count the number of people killed by muskets?

Lawn darts were banned 20 years ago after the deaths of three children.

Location hidden

#2658 Feb 3, 2013
eternal cynic wrote:
If someone intends to kill a lot of people they will find a way to accomplish the task.
They will go to a gun show and buy an assault weapon and lots of massacre load magazines.

Such as the AR-15.

They won't have to be worried about background checks, thanks to the NRA.

And people like you who wouldn't bother to even ask.

Of course- it's safe to assume some are ready to go.
Responsibility

Redwood City, CA

#2659 Feb 3, 2013
eternal cynic wrote:
<quoted text>
If not for firearms how many would find an alternative method?.
Dearie, there will always be "alternative methods" for our violent society but these high powered fire arms can do more damage in mere seconds - with more deaths - than your average baseball bat or pair of scissors.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#2660 Feb 3, 2013
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe you want to include the number of Toyotas that were sold too...
I know you want to spin it.
Vehicular deaths decreasing.
Firearm deaths increasing.
In 2010, they were just hundreds of fatalities apart.
Now you want to move the goalposts?
your the one spinning that facts which the real facts go against your spinning & the gun control nuts.

Location hidden

#2661 Feb 3, 2013
Anonymous of Indy wrote:
<quoted text>your the one spinning that facts which the real facts
umm... got it.

spinning facts?

32,000 firearm fatalities.

It isn't... spinning...

hmmm!

Location hidden

#2662 Feb 3, 2013
Anonymous of Indy wrote:
<quoted text>your the one spinning that facts
Funny how you bring up the rate of vehicular deaths and when I point to the FACT that the rate is declining and the firearm rate is increasing...
I'm spinning...

HAHAHHAHAAHAHAH!

Review: 2010, they were virtually tied... vehicular deaths are decreasing, firearm fatalities are increasing...

Where do you want to put your money?
Maxamillion

Minneapolis, MN

#2663 Feb 3, 2013
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
umm... got it.
spinning facts?
32,000 firearm fatalities.
It isn't... spinning...
hmmm!
Guess ya got no response for me.

Location hidden

#2664 Feb 3, 2013
American Gun Deaths to Exceed Traffic Fatalities by 2015

By Chris Christoff and Ilan Kolet on December 19, 2012

Guns and cars have long been among the leading causes of non-medical deaths in the U.S. By 2015, firearm fatalities will probably exceed traffic fatalities for the first time, based on data compiled by Bloomberg.

While motor-vehicle deaths dropped 22 percent from 2005 to 2010, gun fatalities are rising again after a low point in 2000, according to the Atlanta-based Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Shooting deaths in 2015 will probably rise to almost 33,000, and those related to autos will decline to about 32,000, based on the 10-year average trend.

As the nation reels from the massacre at Sandy Hook Elementary School, the shift shows the effects of public policy, said Garen Wintemute, director of the Violence Prevention Research Program at the University of California, Davis.

The fall in traffic deaths resulted from safer vehicles, restricted privileges for young drivers and seat-belt and other laws, he said. By contrast,“we’ve made policy decisions that have had the impact of making the widest array of firearms available to the widest array of people under the widest array of conditions.” While fewer households have guns, people who own guns are buying more of them, he said.

The Dec. 14 slaying of 20 children and six adults at the school in Newtown, Connecticut, reignited a debate over gun violence. While mass murders are rare, shootings aren’t. About 85 Americans are shot dead daily -- 53 of them suicides. Every day, one of those killed by firearms is 14 or younger.

‘Game Changer’

Of the total, the CDC data show, 16 are between the ages of 15 and 24, mostly homicide victims. Wintemute said more than 200 people go to U.S. emergency rooms every day with gunshot wounds.

Gun deaths by homicide, suicide or accident peaked at 37,666 in 1993 before declining to a low of 28,393 in 2000, the data show. Since then the total has risen to 31,328 in 2010, an increase of 2,935, or eight more victims a day.

At the same time, violent crime and murder rates have fallen in the U.S., said Daniel Webster, director of the Johns Hopkins University Center for Gun Policy and Research in Baltimore. Homicides may be up this year, though the murder rate from 2006 to 2011 fell 19 percent, to 4.7 for every 100,000 people, Webster said in an e-mail.

While recent gun sales haven’t led to an increase in crime, research indicates that over time, higher levels of gun ownership are associated with increased rates of homicide and suicide, Webster said. The Sandy Hook killings are a “potential game changer” for gun-control laws and the response to it unlike any incident he’s seen in 20 years of studying gun violence, he said.
(clip)

Location hidden

#2665 Feb 3, 2013
Maxamillion wrote:
<quoted text>
Guess ya got no response for me.
Which alias do you want me to respond to?

“Why call 911? 1911 is faster”

Since: Feb 08

Wesley Chapel, FL

#2666 Feb 3, 2013
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't care.
If I say there are 32,000 vehicle deaths you want to say the people on motorcycles don't count.
Anyone driving a motorcycle, as we all know, are suicidal.
I'm not the one who doesn't "understand" it.
32,000 are dead.
They are no longer breathing.
What is it you don't understand?
That’s your difficulty. You don’t care about the details which are crucial to gaining a true understanding. You take more of Neanderthal approach. Grunt, guns bad.

Using your approach what should we do about the following?

More than 32,000 motor vehicle deaths

According to the CDC 47,000 deaths are caused by alcohol in the US annually. That number swells to an estimated 2.5 million worldwide.

Tobacco deaths are estimated to be 443,000 per year in the US, 1 in 5 deaths. Worldwide they estimate more than 5 million annually.

Obesity causes an estimated 112,000 deaths in the US annually, again CDC numbers. Let me guess, you would blame forks and spoons.

How many deaths annually can be attributed to bicycles, hammers, axes, knives and just about every other inanimate object you can think of?

BTW, motorcycle deaths would be part of motor vehicle deaths. Last I checked a motorcycle is a motor vehicle. But, stick with this a moment. What would your solution be two DUI? Would you ban motor vehicles or alcohol? To use the same approach you use on firearm you must blame one or the other for those deaths.
Maxamillion

Minneapolis, MN

#2667 Feb 3, 2013
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
Which alias do you want me to respond to?
Daa!!!!

Wesley Chapel, FL

#2668 Feb 3, 2013
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
How many deaths in the US last year as the result of hand guns?
Or do you just want to count the number of people killed by muskets?
Lawn darts were banned 20 years ago after the deaths of three children.
The majority of firearm related deaths are indeed tied to hand guns. What’s your hard on against assault rifles and high capacity magazines?

Lawn darts shouldn’t have been banned. Another ignorant knee jerk reaction.

Wesley Chapel, FL

#2669 Feb 3, 2013
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
They will go to a gun show and buy an assault weapon and lots of massacre load magazines.
Such as the AR-15.
They won't have to be worried about background checks, thanks to the NRA.
And people like you who wouldn't bother to even ask.
Of course- it's safe to assume some are ready to go.
Again, you’re talking out of your ass.

How many assault weapons have been purchased at gun shows and been subsequently used to commit crimes?

I have *NEVER* sold a firearm out of my collection to someone without knowing them very well, possess a FFL or a conceal carry permit. If someone has a FFL or conceal carry permit I can be confident I’m not selling to someone that would fail a background check. With a few exception nearly all of my sales have been to FFL holders.

Wesley Chapel, FL

#2670 Feb 3, 2013
Responsibility wrote:
<quoted text>
Dearie, there will always be "alternative methods" for our violent society but these high powered fire arms can do more damage in mere seconds - with more deaths - than your average baseball bat or pair of scissors.
Gee, let’s now limit choices to scissors and baseball bats in a feeble liberal attempt to make your point.

Wesley Chapel, FL

#2671 Feb 3, 2013
barefoot2626 wrote:
American Gun Deaths to Exceed Traffic Fatalities by 2015
By Chris Christoff and Ilan Kolet on December 19, 2012
Guns and cars have long been among the leading causes of non-medical deaths in the U.S. By 2015, firearm fatalities will probably exceed traffic fatalities for the first time, based on data compiled by Bloomberg.
While motor-vehicle deaths dropped 22 percent from 2005 to 2010, gun fatalities are rising again after a low point in 2000, according to the Atlanta-based Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Shooting deaths in 2015 will probably rise to almost 33,000, and those related to autos will decline to about 32,000, based on the 10-year average trend.
As the nation reels from the massacre at Sandy Hook Elementary School, the shift shows the effects of public policy, said Garen Wintemute, director of the Violence Prevention Research Program at the University of California, Davis.
The fall in traffic deaths resulted from safer vehicles, restricted privileges for young drivers and seat-belt and other laws, he said. By contrast,“we’ve made policy decisions that have had the impact of making the widest array of firearms available to the widest array of people under the widest array of conditions.” While fewer households have guns, people who own guns are buying more of them, he said.
The Dec. 14 slaying of 20 children and six adults at the school in Newtown, Connecticut, reignited a debate over gun violence. While mass murders are rare, shootings aren’t. About 85 Americans are shot dead daily -- 53 of them suicides. Every day, one of those killed by firearms is 14 or younger.
‘Game Changer’
Of the total, the CDC data show, 16 are between the ages of 15 and 24, mostly homicide victims. Wintemute said more than 200 people go to U.S. emergency rooms every day with gunshot wounds.
Gun deaths by homicide, suicide or accident peaked at 37,666 in 1993 before declining to a low of 28,393 in 2000, the data show. Since then the total has risen to 31,328 in 2010, an increase of 2,935, or eight more victims a day.
At the same time, violent crime and murder rates have fallen in the U.S., said Daniel Webster, director of the Johns Hopkins University Center for Gun Policy and Research in Baltimore. Homicides may be up this year, though the murder rate from 2006 to 2011 fell 19 percent, to 4.7 for every 100,000 people, Webster said in an e-mail.
While recent gun sales haven’t led to an increase in crime, research indicates that over time, higher levels of gun ownership are associated with increased rates of homicide and suicide, Webster said. The Sandy Hook killings are a “potential game changer” for gun-control laws and the response to it unlike any incident he’s seen in 20 years of studying gun violence, he said.
(clip)
They used some clever and deceptive wording in that article. No doubt about that. Read the article carefully, see what you can find. You’ll slurp up anything which you believe supports your position, even if you don’t fully understand it.

When 2015 arrives will gun related deaths exceed traffic fatalities?
Maxamillion

Minneapolis, MN

#2672 Feb 3, 2013
eternal cynic wrote:
<quoted text>
That’s your difficulty. You don’t care about the details which are crucial to gaining a true understanding. You take more of Neanderthal approach. Grunt, guns bad.
Using your approach what should we do about the following?
More than 32,000 motor vehicle deaths
According to the CDC 47,000 deaths are caused by alcohol in the US annually. That number swells to an estimated 2.5 million worldwide.
Tobacco deaths are estimated to be 443,000 per year in the US, 1 in 5 deaths. Worldwide they estimate more than 5 million annually.
Obesity causes an estimated 112,000 deaths in the US annually, again CDC numbers. Let me guess, you would blame forks and spoons.
How many deaths annually can be attributed to bicycles, hammers, axes, knives and just about every other inanimate object you can think of?
BTW, motorcycle deaths would be part of motor vehicle deaths. Last I checked a motorcycle is a motor vehicle. But, stick with this a moment. What would your solution be two DUI? Would you ban motor vehicles or alcohol? To use the same approach you use on firearm you must blame one or the other for those deaths.
You good!

Alcohol IS the root cause of the majority of crime including firearm crime.

In the case of motorvehicle deaths/DUI related to alcohol the violator is prevented from having access to the weapon. The weapon is not banned.
CTM

United States

#2673 Feb 3, 2013
Yay for Sen. Grassy from Iowa, a level head at the gun hearings on Wednesday. Boo to Feinstein and the Baltimore Cheif. She asked him if Adams Mother gave him the gun. He sidestepped the question. What is Feinstein doing asking him that question anyway? None of the truth has been revealed. We have no motive reported yet or how he even got to the guns. Obviously he killed his Mother first, maybe for the key to the lockbox? We don't know because the crooked cops and politicians in charge want to keep the anti-gun parade, complete with victims, rolling. It would be refreshing to the point of knowing there is still an American in politics, if the Justice Dept. were to be a reasonable voice and put the whole anti-gun tour on hold until the motive was revealed. Until all the circumstances around how this kid got the guns were told. Until ALL the info on the computers was revealed. Seems if we were told the truth, the anti-gun platform would crumple and fall. Most likely some of the crooked politicians wouldn't be able to crawl out from under the egg that would be on their face from the truth.

Since: Nov 11

Salt Lake City, UT

#2674 Feb 3, 2013
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
My math is: 32,000+ deaths.
My math is: 20 dead children because people with tiny-dicks like yourself insisted you should be able to have an assault weapon if you wanted to have one.
I say: if I had a wand and I could choose that the twenty dead children could be alive if there were no more AR-15s: I'd wave the wand.
Again, try help. http://www.way2hope.org/pedophile_therapy.htm But when you use that term you are normally not able to compete with the discussion.

Do we need to show you links to mass murders of children without use of AR15s? You are OK with their deaths as long as an "assault gun" isn't used? I would wave the wand simply to have them not killed at all.

Since: Nov 11

Salt Lake City, UT

#2676 Feb 3, 2013
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
A little slow on the uptake, eh, Dultz?
So you don't know then?

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#2677 Feb 3, 2013
duzitreallymatter wrote:
<quoted text>So you don't know then?
thats obvious.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barack Obama Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 6 min Trumpbot 1,745,710
News Mitt Romney Fails to Bypass Utah Primary for U.... 33 min whiney beech 12
News Trump wants military to secure border with Mexico 1 hr spud 468
News Trump's Wall May Not Be Built, But The Illegal ... 2 hr spud 350
News Trump's repeated claim that he won a 'landslide... (Nov '16) 5 hr Cassandra_ 9,722
News Twitter Erupts After Obama Makes Melania Trump ... 5 hr Shoe Bacca Simian 2
News Police shootings of unarmed black people have n... 5 hr Tiny Emolument Hands 107