Gun control debate heating up in statehouses

There are 20 comments on the Dec 21, 2012, NBC29 story titled Gun control debate heating up in statehouses. In it, NBC29 reports that:

By The Associated Press Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and stories that will be talked about Friday: President Barack Obama says his administration has received an outpouring of support for stricter gun laws following last week's elementary school massacre in Connecticut, telling respondents to an online... President Barack ... (more)

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NBC29.

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

#2611 Feb 3, 2013
duzitreallymatter wrote:
<quoted text>Neither are the 32,000 per year you keep posting, if you want to play word games.
I'm not responsible for your "logic".

The 32,000+ firearm fatalities refer to the 32,000+ people who are no longer alive who were alive last year where the firearm was the instrument of their demise.

"firearm fatalities".

Location hidden

#2612 Feb 3, 2013
Armed Veteran wrote:
<quoted text>
Prove it, asshat.
as they occur, spoogebreath.

Wipe your chin.

Location hidden

#2613 Feb 3, 2013
duzitreallymatter wrote:
<quoted text>Places you can not carry a firearm even with a permit.- "and shall include a school bus used for K-12.
You forgot top include the exceptions.

Here's the entire thing:

Section 13A-11-72
Certain persons forbidden to possess pistol.

(a) No person who has been convicted in this state or elsewhere of committing or attempting to commit a crime of violence shall own a pistol or have one in his or her possession or under his or her control.

(b) No person who is a drug addict or an habitual drunkard shall own a pistol or have one in his or her possession or under his or her control.

(c) Subject to the exceptions provided by Section 13A-11-74, no person shall knowingly with intent to do bodily harm carry or possess a deadly weapon on the premises of a public school.

(d) Possession of a deadly weapon with the intent to do bodily harm on the premises of a public school in violation of subsection (c) of this section is a Class C felony.

(e) Law enforcement officers are exempt from this section, and persons with pistol permits issued pursuant to Section 13A-11-75, are exempt from the provisions of subsection (c) of this section.

(f) The term "public school" as used in this section applies only to a school composed of grades K-12 and shall include a school bus used for grades K-12.

(g) The term "deadly weapon" as used in this section means a firearm or anything manifestly designed, made, or adapted for the purposes of inflicting death or serious physical injury, and such term includes, but is not limited to, a bazooka, hand grenade, missile, or explosive or incendiary device; a pistol, rifle, or shotgun; or a switch-blade knife, gravity knife, stiletto, sword, or dagger; or any club, baton, billy, black-jack, bludgeon, or metal knuckle

++

So right off, we see you are wrong:(all) law officers are exempt (and they have carry permits), and the law doesn't restrict carry into schools (or buses), but carry with the INTENT to do bodily harm.

Next?

Location hidden

#2614 Feb 3, 2013
duzitreallymatter wrote:
<quoted text>Sadly for you I do. Let me get this straight - you have never made a typo?
I make them every day. Several times a day. Not the point.

You have made the same "typo" around two dozen times.

And several times in the same comment.

But you keep ignoring it. I'll keep laughing.

Location hidden

#2616 Feb 3, 2013
duzitreallymatter wrote:
Police are conducting an investigation, but have told local media,“at this point all indications are that the shooting was justified.”(WOWT, Omaha, Neb.)
In other words: the story isn't over.

Burglars don't bang on doors before they come in.

(quote)
Pastor's Wife Commits Suicide In Texas Gun Store Parking Lot
By Katherine Weber , Christian Post Reporter
January 2, 2013|10:44 am

The wife of a Texas pastor reportedly took her own life this weekend in the parking lot of McClelland Gun Shop, located in East Dallas, Texas, presumably using the pistol she had just purchased from the firearms supplier, according to reports.

Harriet Deison, 65, wife of Pastor Pete Deison of Park Cities Presbyterian Church, was found dead in her Lexus Sedan after employees of McClelland Gun Shop heard gunfire around 2:15 p.m. on Saturday, Dec. 29. It appeared as though Deison shot herself.

Authorities are reporting that Deison took her own life, although no suicide note was left at the scene of the shooting.

In an op-ed piece in The Chattanoogan, columnist Roy Exum, a friend of the Deison family, said the pastor's wife "charmed all of our hearts" and "exemplified her life into a role model that hundreds of women have followed."

"I believe she could do anything from arranging flowers to running a big company in Dallas, both of which she did adroitly," Exum added.

In addition to serving the church congregation as the pastor's wife, Deison also ran the Minwood One Corp., described by MerchantBook as a "collection agencies industry."

Dallas police Sgt. Shelley Johnston has said, according to The Dallas Morning News, that the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives plans to send an investigator to McClelland Gun Shop early this week to ensure all legal procedures were followed for the gun purchased by Deison.

Andrew Young, spokesman for the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, added that sending an investigator to the gun shop was a standard follow-up procedure in such circumstances.

"This kind of thing happens, unfortunately," he said. "It's really hard on the dealers when someone buys a gun and takes their life with the gun in the parking lot."

Deison is survived by her husband, two children, and five grandchildren.

Read more at http://global.christianpost.com/news/pastors-...

“Why call 911? 1911 is faster”

Since: Feb 08

Wesley Chapel, FL

#2617 Feb 3, 2013
Wall Street Government wrote:
<quoted text>
"Look beyond Wiki to learn about a subject. You made yourself look foolish".
Seems one of the sources given in the Rense link is.......... WIKI.
You then look to a "blog" to further "educate" yourself on the subject?
Then calling someone else "foolish"?
Figures.
Read your own words *ONE* of the sources.

You provide misinformation on the Patriot Act then whine when caught.

Read the blog, it's complete with link to Thomas. You do know what Thomas is don’t you?

I disputed your claims as they’re wrong. You simply attack the source. Dig deeper filthy occupier.

Location hidden

#2618 Feb 3, 2013
duzitreallymatter wrote:
<quoted text>You imply daily several times (daily)that gun owners are fat guys who regularly kill their wife.
Imply?

You mean I post stories complete with links of gun owners who use the weapons they say they buy to protect the family and they instead use them to kill their wives or girlfriends.

Fresh stories that happen with a day or two of my posts?

Those?

It happens every day.

Several times a day.

Are you offended as a fat guy or as a gun owner?

Since: Nov 11

Salt Lake City, UT

#2619 Feb 3, 2013
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
I make them every day. Several times a day. Not the point.
You have made the same "typo" around two dozen times.
And several times in the same comment.
But you keep ignoring it. I'll keep laughing.
Same typo two dozen times? Show us 6.

Location hidden

#2620 Feb 3, 2013
duzitreallymatter wrote:
Yet when contrary percentages are provided to you they are ignored.
You haven't posted these "contrary percentages" because they do not exist.

Location hidden

#2622 Feb 3, 2013
duzitreallymatter wrote:
I have to ask if the states that do provide CCW holders statistics
You let me know the minute you find a reliable reporting system for tracking crimes committed (notice... two t's) by CCW holders. Such a system would require public access and mandatory reporting of arrests of persons who hold those CCWs.

Right now: it does not exist.

Location hidden

#2623 Feb 3, 2013
duzitreallymatter wrote:
<quoted text>Same typo two dozen times? Show us 6.
I tell you what: I show you six in your posts and you stop posting?

Location hidden

#2626 Feb 3, 2013
Armed Veteran wrote:
<quoted text>
They were not MY statements, idiot. They were from the VPC.
The misstatements were from you, spoogebreath.

When the VPC (or anyone else) represents a figure and then qualifies the statement (as the VPC did): the figure is not complete without the qualifications.

E.G.: if the VPC says it is counting 32 states, you have include that qualification, not pretend it was for all of the USA.

I am mindful of the Kleck "surveys" where he collects data conducted from subscribers to gun lovers magazines and then extrapolates that data as representative of all of USA.

HAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAH!

There is no such thing as a CCW "crime" database. There is not a reliable way to project across the USA the crimes committed by a "typical" CCW holder.

Happy to see you stand up and insist on it: that as part of the CCW process, anyone arrested (or receiving a restraining order) is checked and the CCW revoked or in the very least: suspended.

Salt Lake City, UT

#2627 Feb 3, 2013
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
You forgot top include the exceptions.
++
So right off, we see you are wrong:(all) law officers are exempt (and they have carry permits), and the law doesn't restrict carry into schools (or buses), but carry with the INTENT to do bodily harm.
Next?
Cops typically don't have carry permits the Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act takes care of them nationally. You are correct AL doesn't have a gun free school zone. Shocking! Both that you were right.

Salt Lake City, UT

#2628 Feb 3, 2013
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
In other words: the story isn't over.
Burglars don't bang on doors before they come in.
I would bet it is over. Get back to us if charges are filed against the defending shooter.

Now by banging on doors do you mean making noise or knocking for entry?
shows a good deal of door noise a reasonable person would consider banging.

Yet another.

Shortly after 4 a.m., a homeowner in McLoud, Okla. awakened to the sound of a burglar breaking into his house. The homeowner retrieved a gun and fired at the criminal, striking him once and causing him to flee. The home invader was captured by police a short time later while seeking treatment at a nearby hospital.
An investigation revealed that the criminal was already subject to a felony bench warrant for failing to appear in court for a case in which he was charged with three counts of possession of a stolen vehicle.(The News-Star, Shawnee, Okla. 01/31/13)

Salt Lake City, UT

#2629 Feb 3, 2013
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
Imply?
You mean I post stories complete with links of gun owners who use the weapons they say they buy to protect the family and they instead use them to kill their wives or girlfriends.
Fresh stories that happen with a day or two of my posts?
Those?
It happens every day.
Several times a day.
Are you offended as a fat guy or as a gun owner?
I am not offended at all. I don't buy into the liberal "everyone has a right to never be offended" battle cry.

I am not saying what you post doesn't happen. Bad things do happen to people. But when you look at the percentage of guns that are used to kill - it is very low. I showed the numbers in a previous post you ignored.

Salt Lake City, UT

#2630 Feb 3, 2013
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
You haven't posted these "contrary percentages" because they do not exist.
OK. Sine you think everyon who doesn't agree with you is stewpud we'll let you do the math. 32,000 gun deaths a year. 270,000,000 privately owned guns. What percentage of guns are used to kill? Your wrist watch calculator will be all you need.

Salt Lake City, UT

#2631 Feb 3, 2013
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
You let me know the minute you find a reliable reporting system for tracking crimes committed (notice... two t's) by CCW holders. Such a system would require public access and mandatory reporting of arrests of persons who hold those CCWs.
Right now: it does not exist.
So my post is correct. If the numbers were in your favor for the states that do track the CCW statistics you'd be all over them. Since they don't help your cause you ignore what is available.
Maxamillion

Minneapolis, MN

#2632 Feb 3, 2013
barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>
How many people are holding a boy in a bomb shelter five days with a knife?
Here's another husband protecting the family.
Note this isn't a story from last year...
(quote)
Joshua Tree man suspected of killing wife
By Melissa Pinion-Whitt, The (San Bernardino County) Sun
Posted: 01/31/2013 07:09:30 AM PST
Sheriff's deputies arrested a Joshua Tree man Wednesday on suspicion of fatally shooting his wife in their home.
San Bernardino County sheriff's deputies received a call at midnight regarding a shooting in the 61000 block of Alta Vista Drive.
They arrived and found Christy Phipps, 35, dead of a gunshot wound. Deputies interviewed Phipps' husband, Joseph Phipps, and then arrested him.
He was booked into West Valley Detention Center in Rancho Cucamonga on suspicion of the killing.
Here's a more recent fatal stabbing than your shooting:

http://www.therepublic.com/view/story/8d45f6d...

Location hidden

#2633 Feb 3, 2013
duzitreallymatter wrote:
<quoted text>Cops typically don't have carry permits
HAHAHAHAHAH!

Doosh... sweetie... LEOSA *is* a carry permit.

Location hidden

#2634 Feb 3, 2013
Maxamillion wrote:
<quoted text>
Here's a more recent fatal stabbing than your shooting:
32,000+ firearm fatalities. a year.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barack Obama Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 5 min USAsince1680 1,219,989
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 7 min OzRitz 52,839
News Obama turns up heat on climate change debate in... 10 min zion 51
News The President has failed us (Jun '12) 17 min Agents of Corruption 324,280
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 21 min Scrutiny 187,291
News Congressman: Global Warming Is A 'Religion' 36 min Lawrence Wolf 8
News Texans hoping to turn U.S.-Cuba thaw into cold ... 54 min Doc Proper 5
More from around the web