Global warming 'undeniable,' scientists say

Full story: TwinCities.com

Scientists from around the world are providing even more evidence of global warming, one day after President Barack Obama renewed his call for climate legislation.

Comments (Page 1,120)

Showing posts 22,381 - 22,400 of29,923
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

Since: Jan 13

Fairfax, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2013

Judged:

Brian_G wrote:
When the oceans warm, they release CO2 the same way a cold can of soda will release more CO2 as it warms. Don't confuse cause and effect.
The oceans have absorbed about 80% of the increase in CO2, from the articles I have read. Scientists do worry the oceans will saturate and let CO2 off the way you describe. That puts it back in the atmosphere and warms up the Earth.
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>No amount of cash can fix the climate. If you don't like your climate, move. Governments can't fix climate, but you can deal with it.
Well the top scientists are telling us we need not to put the trash up in the atmosphere to begin with. What is your solution???

Since: Apr 08

"the green troll"

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2013

Judged:

Brian_G wrote:
When the oceans warm, they release CO2 the same way a cold can of soda will release more CO2 as it warms. Don't confuse cause and effect.
Trying that old lie again, huh?

Maybe an experiment would tell us if it's really happening?
An international team of scientists found that oceans have taken in about 118 billion metric tons of carbon dioxide from human activities between 1800 and 1994, accounting for nearly a third of their long-term carrying capacity.

The 15-year study, conducted and analyzed with the help of several researchers around the world, looked at nearly 72,000 samples taken in the Atlantic, Pacific and Indian oceans.
http://www.planetark.com/dailynewsstory.cfm/n...
The amount of carbon dioxide being absorbed by the world's oceans has reduced, scientists have said.

University of East Anglia researchers gauged CO2 absorption through more than 90,000 measurements from merchant ships equipped with automatic instruments.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/7053903.st...
Scientists have issued a new warning about climate change after discovering a sudden and dramatic collapse in the amount of carbon emissions absorbed by the Sea of Japan.

The shift has alarmed experts, who blame global warming.

Working with Pavel Tishchenko of the Russian Pacific Oceanological Institute in Vladivostok, Lee and his colleague Geun-Ha Park used a cruise on the Professor Gagarinskiy, a Russian research vessel, last May to take seawater samples from 24 sites across the Sea of Japan.

They compared the dissolved CO2 in the seawater with similar samples collected in 1992 and 1999. The results showed the amount of CO2 absorbed during 1999 to 2007 was half the level recorded from 1992 to 1999.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2009/ja...
litesong

Lynnwood, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2013

Judged:

Wallop10 wrote:
Well the top scientists are telling us we need not to put the trash up in the atmosphere to begin with. What is your solution???
'brian_g stumble butt dumpster diver' wants to push man-made atmospheric CO2 to such levels that total CO2 will be past 1000 ppm. Of course, an increasing percentage of building interiors would have concentrated CO2 levels in the 4000-6000 ppm, a level where detrimental CO2 poisoning would occur in some people.

But the oil-can job of 'brian_g stumble butt dumpster diver' would be secure. Of course,'brian_g stumble butt dumpster diver' wouldn't go visit people the hospital, poisoned by CO2, because he would be securing a good future for his children.
PHD

Bertram, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2013

Judged:

litesong wrote:
<quoted text>
'brian_g stumble butt dumpster diver' wants to push man-made atmospheric CO2 to such levels that total CO2 will be past 1000 ppm. Of course, an increasing percentage of building interiors would have concentrated CO2 levels in the 4000-6000 ppm, a level where detrimental CO2 poisoning would occur in some people.
But the oil-can job of 'brian_g stumble butt dumpster diver' would be secure. Of course,'brian_g stumble butt dumpster diver' wouldn't go visit people the hospital, poisoned by CO2, because he would be securing a good future for his children.
And you think topix doesn’t know what you publish? Attacks on me won't delete or erase what you are and what you do. You should stop making an ASSumption of your---self before you know the facts. Do contact topix to satisfy your accusations of the reprint BS your posting of what I said. You are a dumbASSumption of your---self again.
PHD

Bertram, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2013

Judged:

Amused Slew wrote:
YYes ?? Poor P-ppppenny...
Of course, I'm "postiong" dead, just like your Global Warming credibility.
If you REALLY want a laugh, imagine Penny putting all those "judging marks" up after we copy/paste posts....
Hi, Mistake a minute P-P-Penny,
How are Sheldon and Leonard...
Ps- Almost a moron, stick with it.
People say that you are the perfect idiot. I say that you are not perfect, but you are doing alright.
Ordinarily people live and learn. You just live
The dead admits its dead and still posting. Will the dead ever learn and live again?
Amused Slew

Seattle, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2013

Judged:

If you REALLY want a laugh, imagine Penny putting all those "judging marks" up after we copy/paste posts....
People say that you are the perfect idiot. I say that you are not perfect, but you are doing alright.
Consistent

Grantsburg, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2013

Judged:

Amused Slew wrote:
"Ordinarily people live and learn"

We see you Slewsie.

We value your life, especially on Topix.

Please call me a drunk so that you can have real value as a poster.

Everybody love you Slewsie. You have so much to give mankind.

(By the way, I had to cut paste your quote. YOU are the ultimate manifestation of "Lifelong Learning")
Amused Slew

Seattle, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2013

Judged:

The moron spammer strikes !! LMAOROTFU!

Consistent

Grantsburg, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2013

Judged:

Amused Slew wrote:
The moron spammer strikes !! LMAOROTFU!
Credibility

The quality of being believable or worthy of trust:

After all those lies, her credibility was at a low ebb.

"The moron spammer strikes !! LMAOROTFU!"
PHD

Bertram, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2013

Judged:

Amused Slew wrote:
The dead admits its dead and still posting. Will the dead ever learn and live again?

“CAPS LOCK CAUSE CLIMATE CHANGE”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2013

Judged:

litesong wrote:
"brian_g stumble butt dumpster diver" allegedly threatened AGW advocates so they would no longer post on toxic topix AGW forum threads.
litesong's accusation above is untrue. I support freedom of speech, mob violence is wrong. If advocacy about climate change mitigation results in backlash and scapegoating, at least I warned you. Demagogic mob action is mostly terrible, I support free speech, not mob action.

The media and social climate can be mitigated and controled. There's no experimental evidence global climate can be changed even the smallest measurable degree. Do you see the difference?

Fairfax, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2013

Judged:

Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text> I support free speech, not mob action.
Huh? Well good.
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>
The media and social climate can be mitigated and controled.
Er. Sounds like you're contradicting yourself here. Did I miss something in the middle... I admit I appear to butting in the middle of some old fight here...
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>
There's no experimental evidence global climate can be changed even the smallest measurable degree. Do you see the difference?
Well 97% of the top scientists, virtually 100% of the world renown science organizations (with the petroleum based science organizations on neutral) around the world; and 100% of the mainstream science media **strongly** disagrees with you. And they have lots of proof of that.

Meaning... got any evidence other than quoting some Rush Limbaugh type?

“CAPS LOCK CAUSE CLIMATE CHANGE”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2013

Judged:

Wallop10 wrote:
The oceans have absorbed about 80% of the increase in CO2, from the articles I have read.
The Earth is in balance, we are the fulcrum. If they didn't measure it, you wouldn't know it.

What do you want to do about it?

Wallop10 wrote:
Scientists do worry the oceans will saturate and let CO2 off the way you describe. That puts it back in the atmosphere and warms up the Earth.
No, you worry the oceans will saturate, even Fair Game's experts say the oceans still absorb CO2, although more slowly.

Wallop10 wrote:
None of this changes the facts, as liquids (like the oceans) warm, more gas comes out of solution and as a liquid cools, it can absorb more gas. That's why you can rinse suds out with cold water faster than with hot water.

If you consider carbon dioxide to be trash, leave our oceans alone, you don't know what's up. CO2 is a gas, we don't put it, we free it into the atmosphere, where it used to live. CO2 isn't trashy, it's the breath of life. The atmosphere is the perfect place, a perfect fit.

If you love plants, don't hate carbon dioxide.
PHD

Bertram, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2013

Judged:

Wallop10 again factually incorrect. The scientific science fiction you post does say opinion, forecast, could be and prediction. See the wallop10 gets walloped again and again. So do you have any evidence besides cut and paste scientific science fiction useless babble?
Amused Slew

Seattle, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2013

Judged:

While you call posters dead, misspell, and write crazy... Thanks for picking your side, the crazier are clearly.."right".

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2013

Judged:

Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>The Earth is in balance, we are the fulcrum. If they didn't measure it, you wouldn't know it.
What do you want to do about it?
<quoted text>No, you worry the oceans will saturate, even Fair Game's experts say the oceans still absorb CO2, although more slowly.
<quoted text>None of this changes the facts, as liquids (like the oceans) warm, more gas comes out of solution and as a liquid cools, it can absorb more gas. That's why you can rinse suds out with cold water faster than with hot water.
If you consider carbon dioxide to be trash, leave our oceans alone, you don't know what's up. CO2 is a gas, we don't put it, we free it into the atmosphere, where it used to live. CO2 isn't trashy, it's the breath of life. The atmosphere is the perfect place, a perfect fit.
If you love plants, don't hate carbon dioxide.
Yes, the carbon we are adding to the atmosphere has been here all along. It was incorporated into plants & bacteria hundreds of millions of years ago. It used to live in the atmosphere.

Yes, CO2 was much higher in the atmosphere in the past, & it was much warmer on the earth in the past. These things are utterly beside the point, however.

Our culture, our agriculture & our infrastructure have developed during, & are adapted to, Holocene conditions, NOT Jurassic conditions. What was perfect for the dinosaurs is way, way too high for us.

Can we survive with much higher temps? Yes, some of us. But under Jurassic conditions, sea level would be ~75 meters higher. Central continents would dry out, so agriculturally suitable locations would be rarer & very different than they are now.

People might want to move north, especially to places like the northern third of Siberia - OOPS!!! The northern third of Siberia will be under water.

There is a 100.00000% chance this will happen if we keep emitting CO2 without restriction. It may take a few centuries, but it is guaranteed to happen.

We are doing a very, very dangerous experiment on the only home we have. Prudence alone should suggest decreasing carbon emissions, even if it's only an insurance policy against what MIGHT happen.
PHD

Bertram, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2013

Judged:

Amused Slew wrote:
While you call posters dead, misspell, and write crazy... Thanks for picking your side, the crazier are clearly.."right".
The dead admits its dead and still posting. Will the dead ever learn and live again? Almost maybe, but your there already.
Amused Slew

Seattle, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2013

Judged:

redeemer

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2013

Judged:

You people are dumb.

Necessity is one of biggest contributor to innovation.

By the time earths resources are dried up.

We will be forced to look for alternative resources.

There's infinite amount of planets and solar systems.

We will just find a new way.
redeemer

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2013

Judged:

Greed will cause shortages
Greed will supply innovations

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 22,381 - 22,400 of29,923
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••
•••