In America, atheists are still in the...

In America, atheists are still in the closet

There are 51414 comments on the Spiked story from Apr 11, 2012, titled In America, atheists are still in the closet. In it, Spiked reports that:

So do many other interest and identity groups. Complaint is our political lingua franca: it's what Occupiers, Tea Partiers, Wall Street titans, religious and irreligious people share.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Spiked.

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#18719 Jun 23, 2012
Skombolis wrote:
Edit:
You would have to know what a diety is TO disbelieve one exists and especially to deny one exists.
DO you believe in a square circle? You don't need to know it doesn't exist.

Because the belief that you have special knowledge of a deity is in itself a delusion and self deception.

“Live Love Laugh”

Since: Aug 07

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#18720 Jun 23, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
No, IANS most certainly did not admit that.
Hey - how tall does lettuce grown? This is my first garden and I've got a lettuce now that is 2 feet high!
I would suggest you cut your lettuce before it gets that high. It gets a slightly bitter taste when it grows too tall, so it should be cut at about a foot high. You can keep it from getting that high by continually cutting just the outer leaves. That way, the plant continues to grow and give you lettuce, but the leaves do not have a chance to get too tall or bitter.

Location hidden

#18721 Jun 23, 2012
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>
You would have to know what a diety is not disbelieve one exists and especially to deny one exists.
I am not going to explain words to you. Believe whatever definition you feel applies. I really don't care.
I see those 100s of quotes that proved that you lied about what was written in the new testament, have done nothing to continue your quest to shamelessly lie and evangelicise in this forum.
IRYW

Allentown, PA

#18722 Jun 23, 2012
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
You are the shit when you're around.
Let me save you some trouble: Im not interested in any of your sophistry, nor your pissy rants.
It's this simple: I tell you what the word means when I say it, and the conversation is over. When I use the word in theway that I have indicated, I have communicated - except to stubborn, incalcitrant pedants and whiny, petulant, tantruming infants.
There are three of you theists right now on various threads the quibbling the semantics of the word atheism - you, barefoot, and Snow Bunny, a stealth theist who is fighting the same moronic battle on another thread about whether Dawkins is an atheist or not because he also calls himself an agnostic.
Now hear this: the opinions of theists are of no interest in this discussion any longer. Intelligent skeptics have gotten tired of your pointless quibbling and moved on and ceased listening to you. Theists are less than indifferent to our needs - you actively work against them and us. You aren't trusted, and your counsel is not solicited.
We don't need your understanding or approval, and we don't care if you accept our usage or not. It is ours, we understand ourselves, and we will continue to communicate in whatever way we feel we best, we will likely outnumber you in a few decades.
That's how it is.
THree gold stars.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#18723 Jun 23, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
Gay prejudice = nothing to do with religion. QUITE OBVIOUSLY: NotBots are every bit as prejudiced as theists.
Skeptics? Perhaps, although I don't see it. Faith is a prejudice. What is more prejudiced than taking a position without a better reason than that is the way you were raised, or that the position is comforting?

And even if you were correct, so what? I still prefer atheism and irreligiosity for myself, secularism for the government. and secular humanism for the culture at large. It's intellectually and morally more sound.

“free your mind.”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#18724 Jun 23, 2012
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. difficult for me to ignore attacks someone's family. I'll try to do better ..
<quoted text>
.. hell, can't remember what I posted yesterday. My mind shifts daily. Lack of sex will do that ..
I realise that.. you're doing just fine.

well , i'm sure that your contribution was salient.. that's why i noted missing it..

Are you addicted..? I get that way with nicotine deprivation.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#18725 Jun 23, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Even when you add those phrases, it's sexist. There's no two ways about it. The Bible is sexist - as are pretty much all religions from that time.
Seriously - "husbands love your wives and do not be harsh with them"???
Why not just say "don't hit them too hard"?
I'm not trying to pick on you personally - I've read your posts, I like what you write, but you're arguing the untenable right now. The Bible is absolutely sexist, it preaches slavery, genocide and rape. Sure, if you want to throw out the entire Old Testament and just go with the NT, you're on slightly better standing.
But then you have to explain Paul. And Paul is nothing - nothing - if not a vile, sexist man. He virtually hates women - and gentiles.
Why did you not repeat this one?

Ephesians 5:25
Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her

That sheds a lot of light on how he is to feel about and treat his wife IMO.

We are not under the OT. That isn't a strategic move on my part, it is just what we believe.

Paul may have been a misogynistic. I'd imagine most men were then and many still are now. But can I ask what you are basing that on? He wasn't married and encouraged others not to get married. But I don't see anything from him to suggest he hated women.

But there is nothing in the NT encouraging genocide or rape and the Bible never promoted slavery but acknowledged its existence. When it says slaves obey your masters it goes on to basically acknowledge it wasn't a good situation but essentially says don't let it ruin who you are as a person. You have to read it in context.

"Slaves, submit yourselves to your masters with all respect, not only to those who are good and considerate, but also to those who are harsh. 19For it is commendable if a man bears up under the pain of unjust suffering because he is conscious of God. 20But how is it to your credit if you receive a beating for doing wrong and endure it? But if you suffer for doing good and you endure it, this is commendable before God. 21To this you were called, because Christ suffered for you, leaving you an example, that you should follow in his steps. He committed no sin, and no deceit was found in his mouth."

It is a long version basically of "turn the other cheek"

BTW these kind of posts I find to be quality posts. I like challenges when done civilly

(T) Peace

“free your mind.”

Location hidden

#18726 Jun 23, 2012
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. especially after a mushroom trip ..
.. lol.. think that's more likely to be spaceships..?

Fennario

#18727 Jun 23, 2012
barefoot2626 wrote:
I'm not the one who said his dog was an theist.Or that a rock was an atheist. Or a baby was an atheist. ETC.
Thanks for the heads up. I've bookmarked this, and also saved it as an email to myself as a backup.

Location hidden

#18728 Jun 23, 2012
-Skeptic- wrote:
<quoted text>
I see those 100s of quotes that proved that you lied about what was written in the new testament, have done nothing to continue your quest to shamelessly lie and evangelicise in this forum.
I didn't click on your link. You didn't post a single verse to back up your claim that the Bible promotes violence against any of the groups you mentioned. Remember, use the NT.

And I would hardly call responding to criticisms or challenges as evangelizing and I certainly haven't lied.
IRYW

Allentown, PA

#18729 Jun 23, 2012
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
"1. Atheism is disbelief in gods.
2. Disbelief is lack of belief. "
Please explain exactly how this is equivocation. To be equivocation, one has to be using the same "word", but using two different meanings. As far as I can tell, the meaning of "disbelief" is the same in each statement.
They don't understand basic logic or linguistics so they will ignore this question and continue to insist the word is being two different ways, even they cannot demonstrate how.

“free your mind.”

Location hidden

#18730 Jun 23, 2012
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree with all you say except I will not accept a 'need' for torture under any circumstance.
nor do I.

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

#18731 Jun 23, 2012
River Tam wrote:
Tell me about the 6 billion bibles and how many have been burned up till now.
Why would you think I care?

Location hidden

#18732 Jun 23, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Sure. If you believed and understood in Buddhism, Hinduism, Ancient Greek, Norse, Yanomami, Easter Island - really, any kind of mythology - it would make sense to you and be a logical-within-system basis for a belief system.
So what? None of that makes it a higher truth or a good description of reality, or a good moral guide. It only makes sense if you are immersed in the culture of that religion - from without, it's crazy. All religions can correctly identify that other religions are crazy. That should tell us something.
What the does that have to do with the post I responded to about why we aren't under the OT?

I didn't say anything about it being a higher truth. For me it is but believe as you will. But it is a good moral guide unless you have a problem with do unto others as you would have them do unto you, turn the other cheek, forgive seventy times seven, love your enemy, neighbor, brother, do not judge hypocritically, etc, etc. Just because someone doesn't believe the Bible doesn't invalidate the solid the moral instructions are that are contained within.

Location hidden

#18733 Jun 23, 2012
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks for the heads up. I've bookmarked this, and also saved it as an email to myself as a backup.
Great!

Carve it stone!

I noticed you haven't found a case were I said rocks, babies, cats, pool tables were and if I do in the future, make sure you pick up the mocking tone.

Speaking of cases, still waiting fo the case of someone drowned while drinking a glass of water.

Location hidden

#18734 Jun 23, 2012
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Ok, cool, so what's the word for not knowing about the idea of deities?
ignorant

and not in the commons tense that people use as an insult but the actual definition

ignorant
the state or fact of being ignorant : lack of knowledge, education, or awareness
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/ign...

A baby is a blank slate. They have no knowledge, no preconceived ideas, no belief or disbelief in anything. Everything is learned as far as opinions, beliefs, etc.

Fennario

#18735 Jun 23, 2012
http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/atheism/T...
Aerobatty wrote:
Another great post. Always a pleasure.:)
Thank you, my friend. High praise indeed.

Location hidden

#18736 Jun 23, 2012
madscot wrote:
<quoted text>
You were when you posted your gay sex fantasy.
I'm not into pickles, Sweetcheeks.

Location hidden

#18737 Jun 23, 2012
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>
I didn't click on your link. You didn't post a single verse to back up your claim that the Bible promotes violence against any of the groups you mentioned. Remember, use the NT.
And I would hardly call responding to criticisms or challenges as evangelizing and I certainly haven't lied.
I see you have not discovered honesty and continue to shamelessly spread your religious lies in this forum after being proven and shown to be a liar with more than 400 verses directly form the New Testament showing violence.

Location hidden

#18738 Jun 23, 2012
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
Gee, doofus, there you go with the insults again...and the non sequiturs.
Rather silly of you to dish it out and then whimper when it gets tossed back in your face.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barack Obama Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News White House will override Obama's climate plan 3 min Patriot AKA Bozo 1,651
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min Earl 1,658,901
News Obama: Protect democracy or risk taking path of... 4 min Retribution 280
News Will Donald Trump be invited to the royal wedding? 2 hr Reddiaperdoperbaby1 90
News Trump Renominates Lesbian to EEOC, and the Righ... 6 hr Cordwainer Trout 10
News Putin Abhorred Abroad, Loved at Home Amid Hard ... 6 hr Trump is a joke 20
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 8 hr Chicagoan by Birth 243,097
More from around the web