Most effects of sequester yet to be felt

Most effects of sequester yet to be felt

There are 103 comments on the USA Today story from Mar 29, 2013, titled Most effects of sequester yet to be felt. In it, USA Today reports that:

A month after the so-called 'sequester' triggered $85 billion in automatic cuts to the federal budget, you'd be hard-pressed to find much evidence that anything has changed.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at USA Today.

Funny

Park Hills, MO

#64 Apr 1, 2013
Phil wrote:
I notice not one person on this board knows that in the U.S. Constitution congress is the only ones to spend money not POTUS. Thats why they raise the debt limit ! The same for socialized wall street ! The Feds pumping 85 billion a month into the toxic bond market thus inflating the stock market ! Thanks to Ben and the Federal resurve the U.S. dollar is wourthless... And is about to be removed from being the benchmark of the world ! When that happens Ben and wall street will not be able to print their way out and inflation will be out of control in the USA.. Think about that idiots..
Hello....Obama has been doing a FINE job of spending our tax dollars. How about those vacations, golf trips...the list goes on. It's called BALANCE the BUDGET...we've been waiting yet he just can't get it done with his "team"
Oh how about he stand up and make some suggestions on what to do to fix this nation. I've yet to hear anything of the sorts. Other than, "let all the illegals in, we've got $$ to support them. We will give u tax breaks for college but average Americans will have to work 2-3 jobs and mortgage their homes to send their American children to college"
I sure have noticed the leftys being quiet on this one.

“Life is Good”

Since: Nov 08

Perpignan

#65 Apr 2, 2013
Phil wrote:
I notice not one person on this board knows that in the U.S. Constitution congress is the only ones to spend money not POTUS. Thats why they raise the debt limit ! The same for socialized wall street ! The Feds pumping 85 billion a month into the toxic bond market thus inflating the stock market ! Thanks to Ben and the Federal resurve the U.S. dollar is wourthless... And is about to be removed from being the benchmark of the world ! When that happens Ben and wall street will not be able to print their way out and inflation will be out of control in the USA.. Think about that idiots..
Liberals are engaged in creating new rights not listed or shown in the constitution while at the same time attacking the bill of rights that is in the constitution.
see the light

El Paso, TX

#66 Apr 2, 2013
Funny wrote:
<quoted text>
Hello....Obama has been doing a FINE job of spending our tax dollars. How about those vacations, golf trips...the list goes on. It's called BALANCE the BUDGET...we've been waiting yet he just can't get it done with his "team"
Oh how about he stand up and make some suggestions on what to do to fix this nation. I've yet to hear anything of the sorts. Other than, "let all the illegals in, we've got $$ to support them. We will give u tax breaks for college but average Americans will have to work 2-3 jobs and mortgage their homes to send their American children to college"
I sure have noticed the leftys being quiet on this one.
It's not that Obama feels compassion for the illegals from Mexico, they are future Democratic voters. He probably doesn't care if they all got a disease and died.
Wall Street Government

Sebastian, FL

#67 Apr 2, 2013
Funny wrote:
<quoted text>
Hello....Obama has been doing a FINE job of spending our tax dollars. How about those vacations, golf trips...the list goes on. It's called BALANCE the BUDGET...we've been waiting yet he just can't get it done with his "team"
Oh how about he stand up and make some suggestions on what to do to fix this nation. I've yet to hear anything of the sorts. Other than, "let all the illegals in, we've got $$ to support them. We will give u tax breaks for college but average Americans will have to work 2-3 jobs and mortgage their homes to send their American children to college"
I sure have noticed the leftys being quiet on this one.
Thanks to republicans sending kids to college is out of the question, people work 2 and 3 jobs, just for survival and George thought it was the "American way".

"You work three jobs?... Uniquely American, isn't it? I mean, that is fantastic that you're doing that." -- George Bush -- to a divorced mother of three, Omaha, Nebraska, Feb. 4, 2005
Funny

Park Hills, MO

#68 Apr 2, 2013
Wall Street Government wrote:
<quoted text>Thanks to republicans sending kids to college is out of the question, people work 2 and 3 jobs, just for survival and George thought it was the "American way".

"You work three jobs?... Uniquely American, isn't it? I mean, that is fantastic that you're doing that." -- George Bush -- to a divorced mother of three, Omaha, Nebraska, Feb. 4, 2005
Ah yes, Obama made big promises during the election for college education. However, right after the votes were counted he cut pell grant recipients eligibility from 18 semesters to 12.
Hey, but if you are illegal he will probably pay the entire bill (or we will)
Wall Street Government

Sebastian, FL

#69 Apr 3, 2013
Funny wrote:
<quoted text>
Ah yes, Obama made big promises during the election for college education. However, right after the votes were counted he cut pell grant recipients eligibility from 18 semesters to 12.
Hey, but if you are illegal he will probably pay the entire bill (or we will)
That would be the teabagger congress, not Obama.

February 13, 2011

Republicans in the U.S. House of Representatives have unveiled a spending bill for the remainder of the 2011 fiscal year that would slash $100-billion from the president's budget request.

The measure, which the House is expected to take up this week, would cut millions of dollars from federal support for research and student financial aid.

The student-aid reductions would trim the maximum Pell Grant by 15 percent, or $845, from the $5,550 available to the neediest students now, and make 1.7 million students ineligible for Pell Grants, according to Mark Kantrowitz, who publishes FinAid, a Web site that gives financial-aid advice. If enacted, the reductions would be the largest cut in student-aid funds in the history of the Pell Grant program.

In a news release, the chairman of the House Appropriations Committee, Hal Rogers, of Kentucky, said the bill represented a "massive down payment on the new Republican majority's commitment to drastically decrease discretionary funding in order to help our economy thrive and spur job creation."

The impending changes were pushed by Republican members of Congress. Several of those members did not respond to repeated interview requests. In a written statement released by his office, Rep. John Kline, R-Minn., said Congress had to make "tough choices" to cut government funding for Pell Grants.

Poor teabagger.
Wall Street Government

Sebastian, FL

#70 Apr 3, 2013
Federal appropriations during 1981-1985 for student financial aid are reviewed, along with the effect of the Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act of 1981. The effective cut in need-based federal student aid for funding year (FY) 1981 totalled $600 million ($500 million Pell Grants,$100 million National Direct Student Loans). The Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act of 1981 phased out Social Security educational benefits, which had provided $2 billion, one fifth of federal student aid in FY 1981. The Act also restricted eligibility for Guaranteed Student Loans and reduced spending ceilings for other student aid programs. For FY 1982 President Reagan requested additional cuts totalling $332 million, but Congress set FY 1982 funding at slightly over the FY 1981 level.

President Ronald Reagan's fiscal 1986 budget proposal, presented Monday to Congress, calls for a $2.3 billion reduction in federal financial aid to college students.

Most of the reductions will come through the elimination of subsidized guaranteed student loans (GSLs) to students from families whose gross incomes exceed $32,500 per year.

Reagan also proposed limiting all federally subsidized aid, including direct grants, loans, and subsidized jobs, to $4000 annually per student. The president's proposal also includes a $25,000 income eligibility cap on Pell Grants, jobs, and direct loans.

Republicans:

Encouraging stupidity since 1980.

“Life is Good”

Since: Nov 08

Perpignan

#71 Apr 3, 2013
Wall Street Government wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks to republicans sending kids to college is out of the question, people work 2 and 3 jobs, just for survival and George thought it was the "American way".
"You work three jobs?... Uniquely American, isn't it? I mean, that is fantastic that you're doing that." -- George Bush -- to a divorced mother of three, Omaha, Nebraska, Feb. 4, 2005
Since under Obama unemployment is 14.5%.........and Obama thinks that's progress and good..........in between golf outings and vacations that is.
Wall Street Government

Sebastian, FL

#72 Apr 3, 2013
Le Jimbo wrote:
<quoted text>Since under Obama unemployment is 14.5%.........and Obama thinks that's progress and good..........in between golf outings and vacations that is.
More Limbaughtomy/Rannity/FAUX "facts" Le Dimbulb?

Thanks for the update.
the rest of us

Saint Paul, MN

#73 Apr 3, 2013
Wall Street Government wrote:
BLAH,FART,BLAH..........Encour aging stupidity since 1980.
Well, being one of the dumber posters on topix you would of course have a strong tendency toward stupidity. The amount of time you waste on here is staggering. You are extremely dense.

“Life is Good”

Since: Nov 08

Perpignan

#74 Apr 3, 2013
Wall Street Government wrote:
<quoted text>
More Limbaughtomy/Rannity/FAUX "facts" Le Dimbulb?
Thanks for the update.
Yes, they are all well respected in the world of sanity, not so much undocumented democrats who are still trying to graduate pre school.
seriously

United States

#75 Apr 3, 2013
Wall Street Government wrote:
<quoted text>That would be the teabagger congress, not Obama.

February 13, 2011

Republicans in the U.S. House of Representatives have unveiled a spending bill for the remainder of the 2011 fiscal year that would slash $100-billion from the president's budget request.

The measure, which the House is expected to take up this week, would cut millions of dollars from federal support for research and student financial aid.

The student-aid reductions would trim the maximum Pell Grant by 15 percent, or $845, from the $5,550 available to the neediest students now, and make 1.7 million students ineligible for Pell Grants, according to Mark Kantrowitz, who publishes FinAid, a Web site that gives financial-aid advice. If enacted, the reductions would be the largest cut in student-aid funds in the history of the Pell Grant program.

In a news release, the chairman of the House Appropriations Committee, Hal Rogers, of Kentucky, said the bill represented a "massive down payment on the new Republican majority's commitment to drastically decrease discretionary funding in order to help our economy thrive and spur job creation."

The impending changes were pushed by Republican members of Congress. Several of those members did not respond to repeated interview requests. In a written statement released by his office, Rep. John Kline, R-Minn., said Congress had to make "tough choices" to cut government funding for Pell Grants.

Poor teabagger.
In 2009 and 2010, the Obama administration pushed to eliminate the federal guaranteed student loan program, which subsidized student loans issued through private lenders. The administration argued that the money that went to banks through the program would be better spent on direct federal loans to students or to Pell Grants, which provide students up to $5,600.

A Democratic-led Congress approved the plan in March 2010 as part of the same budget bill that cemented Obama's signature health care legislation. It faced heavy opposition from Republicans, who criticized it as a "government takeover" of the student loan industry. But Rep. George Miller, the California Democrat who led the House committee that oversaw education, argued it ended a "sweetheart deal" for banks.

“Life is Good”

Since: Nov 08

Perpignan

#76 Apr 3, 2013
Wall Street Government wrote:
Federal appropriations during 1981-1985 for student financial aid are reviewed, along with the effect of the Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act of 1981. The effective cut in need-based federal student aid for funding year (FY) 1981 totalled $600 million ($500 million Pell Grants,$100 million National Direct Student Loans). The Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act of 1981 phased out Social Security educational benefits, which had provided $2 billion, one fifth of federal student aid in FY 1981. The Act also restricted eligibility for Guaranteed Student Loans and reduced spending ceilings for other student aid programs. For FY 1982 President Reagan requested additional cuts totalling $332 million, but Congress set FY 1982 funding at slightly over the FY 1981 level.
President Ronald Reagan's fiscal 1986 budget proposal, presented Monday to Congress, calls for a $2.3 billion reduction in federal financial aid to college students.
Most of the reductions will come through the elimination of subsidized guaranteed student loans (GSLs) to students from families whose gross incomes exceed $32,500 per year.
Reagan also proposed limiting all federally subsidized aid, including direct grants, loans, and subsidized jobs, to $4000 annually per student. The president's proposal also includes a $25,000 income eligibility cap on Pell Grants, jobs, and direct loans.
Republicans:
Encouraging stupidity since 1980.
Associated Press bans 'illegal immigrant'...

Opts instead for 'living in or entering a country without legal permission'...

Leno: AP Replaces 'Illegal Immigrant' With 'Undocumented Democrat'...
Wall Street Government

Sebastian, FL

#77 Apr 3, 2013
the rest of us wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, being one of the dumber posters on topix you would of course have a strong tendency toward stupidity. The amount of time you waste on here is staggering. You are extremely dense.
Teabagger/Bachmann troll.
Wall Street Government

Sebastian, FL

#78 Apr 3, 2013
Le Jimbo wrote:
<quoted text>Yes, they are all well respected in the world of sanity, not so much undocumented democrats who are still trying to graduate pre school.
Yes they are, in the world of teabagger "sanity".

Which isn't stating much.

Their followers are worse because, all they can do is regurgitate what their "opinion" is.

Ergo, "opinion" is "fact".

Poor teabagger.
Wall Street Government

Sebastian, FL

#79 Apr 3, 2013
seriously wrote:
<quoted text>
In 2009 and 2010, the Obama administration pushed to eliminate the federal guaranteed student loan program, which subsidized student loans issued through private lenders. The administration argued that the money that went to banks through the program would be better spent on direct federal loans to students or to Pell Grants, which provide students up to $5,600.
A Democratic-led Congress approved the plan in March 2010 as part of the same budget bill that cemented Obama's signature health care legislation. It faced heavy opposition from Republicans, who criticized it as a "government takeover" of the student loan industry. But Rep. George Miller, the California Democrat who led the House committee that oversaw education, argued it ended a "sweetheart deal" for banks.
Seriously?

February 4th, 2010

President Barack Obama says the federal government is wasting money by paying banks to offer student loans, and wants to cut out what he calls "middlemen" who cost taxpayers billions, and to use the savings to expand other financial aid programs.

"It turns out that right now a lot of the student loan programs are still run through financial institutions and banks. So you got this middleman, and they get billions of dollars per year managing loans that are guaranteed by the federal government," Obama said at a New Hampshire event Tuesday. Obama said those middlemen "are essentially taking no risks, and yet they're still extracting these huge profits."

Poor teabagger.
Wall Street Government

Sebastian, FL

#80 Apr 3, 2013
Le Jimbo wrote:
<quoted text>Associated Press bans 'illegal immigrant'...
Opts instead for 'living in or entering a country without legal permission'...
Leno: AP Replaces 'Illegal Immigrant' With 'Undocumented Democrat'...
Republicans:

Encouraging stupidity since 1980.

And teabaggers take over.

Good job, Le Dimbulb.

“Life is Good”

Since: Nov 08

Perpignan

#81 Apr 3, 2013
Wall Street Government wrote:
<quoted text>
Republicans:
Encouraging stupidity since 1980.
And teabaggers take over.
Good job, Le Dimbulb.
ap; Obama senior adviser laments DRUDGE REPORT...waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaa

'Hurts What We're Trying To Do'...push propaganda to low information voters.
Wall Street Government

Sebastian, FL

#82 Apr 3, 2013
Le Jimbo wrote:
<quoted text>ap; Obama senior adviser laments DRUDGE REPORT...waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaa
'Hurts What We're Trying To Do'...push propaganda to low information voters.
"See, in my line of work you got to keep repeating things over and over and over again for the truth to sink in, to kind of catapult the propaganda." -- George Bush -- Greece, N.Y., May 24, 2005

'Hurts What We're Trying To Do'...push propaganda to NO information voters.

Poor teabagger.

“Life is Good”

Since: Nov 08

Perpignan

#83 Apr 3, 2013
Wall Street Government wrote:
<quoted text>
"See, in my line of work you got to keep repeating things over and over and over again for the truth to sink in, to kind of catapult the propaganda." -- George Bush -- Greece, N.Y., May 24, 2005
'Hurts What We're Trying To Do'...push propaganda to NO information voters.
Poor teabagger.
REPORT: NY Dem Sen caught on FBI wiretaps attempt at bribing GOP bosses...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barack Obama Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 4 min Dr Guru 194,590
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 19 min IBdaMann 54,322
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 27 min RoxLo 1,263,765
News The President has failed us (Jun '12) 1 hr NTR1 336,743
News Obama: Dems getting 'squishy' over Iran deal 1 hr brad 47
News Al Sharpton blasts 'racist' Trump adviser for '... 1 hr An NFL Fan 55
News Biden associates resume discussion about presid... 2 hr YouDidntBuildThat 1
More from around the web