Social conservatives remind Romney of pledge against abortion, for 'culture of life' in US

Oct 10, 2012 Read more: The Washington Post 96
MOUNT VERNON, Ohio - A day after Mitt Romney downplayed his plans to fight abortion, social conservatives on Wednesday offered the Republican presidential nominee a not-so-subtle reminder of his pledge to do "everything in my power to cultivate, promote, and support a culture of life in America." The head of the anti-abortion group Susan B. Anthony ... (more) Read more
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#86 Oct 19, 2012
jackson wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not saying anyone should HAVE to do anything. I'm merely pointing out that if they could let go of the word, even for just a few years, it might make for a kinder transition to get what they want.
I agree that those opposed to it have other reasons than just the word. They don't want them to have the word OR the rights. The gays want them both. If they both back off on one, a compromise could be reached. Much less anger involved, but I guess that's who we've become, isn't it? Angry Americans who can't work together for any reason. "I'm right and never wrong -- you're always wrong."
Shame on us all. And shame on our leaders for encouraging the divisiveness.
So basically you're just monday morning quarterbacking something which even you admit is never going to happen.

While I appreciate your current support for equal rights, I have to ask again where we people like you 10 or 20 years ago when your voice of reason might have made a difference? Where were all those straight voices speaking our for civil unions?

To continue the sports metaphor- we've driven the ball all the way down the field and now have 1st & goal on the 9 yard line with 2 minutes still on the clock , but you think now we should settle for a field goal just because that would put us ahead but not necessarily win the game, just so the other team can have another chance at scoring.

Tawas City, Michigan

#87 Oct 19, 2012
jackson wrote:
Angry Americans who can't work together for any reason. "I'm right and never wrong -- you're always wrong."
Shame on us all. And shame on our leaders for encouraging the divisiveness.
Nope, shame on the anti-gays.

We will simply NOT accept the blame for civil unions & domestic partnerships being rejected by the anti-gays.

There is NOT equal blame to go around on this issue.

The is ENTIRELY the fault of the anti-gays who refused to accept ANY RECOGNITION of our unions WHATSOEVER.

It's also the fault of those straights who may have supported equal rights but FAILED TO SPEAK OUT.
Infedel

Weatherford, TX

#88 Oct 19, 2012
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope, shame on the anti-gays.
We will simply NOT accept the blame for civil unions & domestic partnerships being rejected by the anti-gays.
There is NOT equal blame to go around on this issue.
The is ENTIRELY the fault of the anti-gays who refused to accept ANY RECOGNITION of our unions WHATSOEVER.
It's also the fault of those straights who may have supported equal rights but FAILED TO SPEAK OUT.
Pure nonsense!
Don Joe

Minneapolis, MN

#89 Oct 19, 2012
Bitner wrote:
<quoted text>
What age range are we talking about here?
I assure you, that people I have spoken with aren't a particular age, and the word marriage itself is not their only objection.
Beside, no group owns the word marriage. Why does any one segment of society get to claim who gets to use it? That's ridiculous.
Hey, that's a good idea. Perhaps I can be the owner of the word "money" and if anyone uses it, they have to pay me a royalty.

“Blessed Be”

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#90 Oct 19, 2012
Don Joe wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey, that's a good idea. Perhaps I can be the owner of the word "money" and if anyone uses it, they have to pay me a royalty.
Only if you split it with me for giving you the idea :-D
Tony

Broken Arrow, OK

#91 Oct 19, 2012
If Romney would get elected he would then fall in line with the republican platform completely. We know how Romney lies and flip flops.
Todd Akins is the poster child for Romney and the republicans.
Don Joe

Minneapolis, MN

#92 Oct 19, 2012
Bitner wrote:
<quoted text>
Only if you split it with me for giving you the idea :-D
Yup, we split it, 60-40.
jackson

Lexington, KY

#93 Oct 19, 2012
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
Obviously it's NOT just a word, or neither side would be fighting so hard for it.
There is no middle ground left because the anti-gays REFUSED the middle ground from the very beginning. We TRIED the "baby steps" for decades; they were opposed EVERY STEP OF THE WAY. The anti-gays NEVER supported ANY recognition of our unions, no matter WHAT we called them.
Were you out there pushing the anti-gays to allow civil unions or domestic partnerships for same-sex couples in the 80's & 90's when that's all we were asking for? How about when all we were looking for was employment protections, which we STILL don't have nationwide?
The anti-gays have no one but themselves to blame.
I'm sorry, but at that time I was very involved in a young marriage with little children and dealing with a child in and out of the hospital on a regular basis. Frankly, I was not involved with much else and probably not very aware of the struggles going on at that time.
I don't know that there is blame to be placed anywhere. Everyone has their reasons for how they feel and what they want (or don't want). There is not much gray area here, obviously, so apparently we won't be able to get past it at this point.
At that time and any time I would support gays and their rights, as I support a woman's right to choose (and especially against government intrusion into our lives).

“ABORTION KILLS A HUMAN BEING”

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#94 Oct 19, 2012
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
Yep, the higher the education level, the more likely the person is to vote Democrat.
Judging by the proaborts here, you're a little goofy, goofy. Lol funny stuff!
jackson

Lexington, KY

#95 Oct 19, 2012
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
So basically you're just monday morning quarterbacking something which even you admit is never going to happen.
While I appreciate your current support for equal rights, I have to ask again where we people like you 10 or 20 years ago when your voice of reason might have made a difference? Where were all those straight voices speaking our for civil unions?
To continue the sports metaphor- we've driven the ball all the way down the field and now have 1st & goal on the 9 yard line with 2 minutes still on the clock , but you think now we should settle for a field goal just because that would put us ahead but not necessarily win the game, just so the other team can have another chance at scoring.
In thinking where I was 10-20 years ago, the gays I knew (and I did know some) weren't talking about civil unions or marriage. I actually knew several gay and lesbian couples, and to my knowledge and memory the subject never came up. I was, indeed, dealing with young children, etc., as I said before, but though some gays I knew who were living together didn't mention it at all. Perhaps there were news reports or whatever, but I honestly don't remember thinking about it one way or the other, or that it was discussed with those I knew.
Regardless, I have never been what you would call an activist and, while I do support the rights, I would not have marched or been overly vocal about it. I am a conservative, and the name fits not only the votes I typically make but the demeanor of most conservatives. We are generally a more quiet lot, with conservatives not really finding much of a voice until these past several years - being vocal against policies and ideologies which had not been broached before.
I'm sorry if you are angry about my lack of involvement. I have also never been involved in any activism relating to conservative viewpoints, so don't feel left out!
Ann Romney votes Obama

Portland, OR

#96 Oct 19, 2012
Mitt says that my opinions do not matter to him.

Mitt says that when my boys were 12 years old and become Mormon Priests I had to take orders from them.

I medicate myself fully.

I have to.
Ann Romney votes Obama

Portland, OR

#97 Oct 19, 2012
Tony wrote:
If Romney would get elected he would then fall in line with the republican platform completely. We know how Romney lies and flip flops.
Todd Akins is the poster child for Romney and the republicans.
Yes, Willard used to be ProChoice and was very happy to help Planned Parenthood in Masschusetts. I even gave PP money.

Now Willard says that if one of my granddaughters was raped in the park and desperately wanted to abort the fetus, she should be executed for murder.

I hate Willard.

I cannot wait for four more years of Obama. He is my pick!

Tawas City, Michigan

#98 Oct 19, 2012
jackson wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm sorry, but at that time I was very involved in a young marriage with little children and dealing with a child in and out of the hospital on a regular basis. Frankly, I was not involved with much else and probably not very aware of the struggles going on at that time.
I don't know that there is blame to be placed anywhere. Everyone has their reasons for how they feel and what they want (or don't want). There is not much gray area here, obviously, so apparently we won't be able to get past it at this point.
At that time and any time I would support gays and their rights, as I support a woman's right to choose (and especially against government intrusion into our lives).
Again, I sincerely appreciate your support, but you have to realize we DID try for 20-30 years to find ANY kind of recognition the anti-gays would support.

WE DID TRY.

There IS INDEED plenty of blame, and it ALL lands at the feet of the anti-gays. Had they said they would support civil unions for gay couples with all the rights & benefits of marriage at both the state & federal level in 1980 or 1990 or even 2000, the overwhelming majority of gays & lesbians WOULD HAVE JUMPED at the opportunity. Absolutely positively without any reservations.

But that's NOT what happened. Instead they fought us EVERY SINGLE STEP OF THE WAY IN EVERY CITY AND STATE.

At this point we're not really worried about making it easier for the anti-gays to accept our marriages. We know that generation is dying off and many of us will applaud when the last one is dead!

THEY brought this on themselves.

Tawas City, Michigan

#99 Oct 19, 2012
jackson wrote:
<quoted text>
In thinking where I was 10-20 years ago, the gays I knew (and I did know some) weren't talking about civil unions or marriage. I actually knew several gay and lesbian couples, and to my knowledge and memory the subject never came up. I was, indeed, dealing with young children, etc., as I said before, but though some gays I knew who were living together didn't mention it at all. Perhaps there were news reports or whatever, but I honestly don't remember thinking about it one way or the other, or that it was discussed with those I knew.
Regardless, I have never been what you would call an activist and, while I do support the rights, I would not have marched or been overly vocal about it. I am a conservative, and the name fits not only the votes I typically make but the demeanor of most conservatives. We are generally a more quiet lot, with conservatives not really finding much of a voice until these past several years - being vocal against policies and ideologies which had not been broached before.
I'm sorry if you are angry about my lack of involvement. I have also never been involved in any activism relating to conservative viewpoints, so don't feel left out!
Again, I'm not angry at you per se, but rather your ignorance (not meant as an insult) about the subject.

Your entire position can only be based on the incorrect assumption that we haven't been trying to find compromise for the past 20-30 years.

You didn't know, you had other things in your life which were important to you. I have no problem that.

But now you HAVE been informed, so ignorance is no longer an acceptable excuse.

The anti-gays will fight us until their death, whether it's marriage or civil unions or adoption for employment rights, etc.

Now we're just waiting for the majority of them to die over the next decade........
Ocean56

AOL

#102 Oct 20, 2012
The Truth wrote:
Romney has to be reminded of what he supports....
Riiiiiight. He supports outsourcing AMERICAN jobs to China, as the story from Freeport, Illinois clearly proves. He also supports the removal of women's reproductive rights, as he showed when he said he'd be DELIGHTED to sign a bill outlawing abortion. As to the Lilly Ledbetter act, which supports equal pay for equal work? Oh, that's right, he DOESN'T support it. Or he "didn't weigh in on it." Whatever he's trying to sell us today.@@

So, to sum it up, Romney DOESN'T support women's reproductive rights, equal pay for equal work, or keeping AMERICAN jobs in America. For me, that's the best reason I have to VOTE FOR PRESIDENT OBAMA on November 6th.

“Blessed Be”

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#103 Oct 20, 2012
Don Joe wrote:
<quoted text>
Yup, we split it, 60-40.
Oh, that's fine, I'll take 60%! LOL.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barack Obama Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 11 min John Galt 1,216,353
News Hillary Clinton has a new position on same-sex ... 12 min Larry Craig s WC ... 97
News Finally, Congress OKs Bill Reshaping Medicare D... 18 min Who 5
News Race motive seen in delay to vote in Loretta Ly... 19 min Spotted Girl 3
News Appeals court to take up Obama's immigration ac... 21 min Who 2
News The President has failed us (Jun '12) 22 min Sharrp Shooter 323,135
News Vladimir Putin steals the show in TIME 100 read... 26 min Cassandra_ 32
More from around the web