White House to release legal rationale for killing of US citizens with drones

Feb 6, 2013 Full story: The Guardian 182

The White House's decision to release its legal reasoning for the killing of US citizens by armed drones is likely defuse some of the tension at John Brennan's confirmation hearing as CIA director.

Full Story

Since: Oct 08

Location hidden

#111 Feb 8, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>it was the democratic party that pulled us out of the mess, remember. after historic job losses we are back to where we were, plus some...in 4 short years...
nice try, but we know what happened, and then there is the social issue where the radical far right of the GOP is trying to send us back to the stone age....jeez, their #2 guy in teh last cycle openly stated he wanted to turn the US into a theocracy! WTF happened to the GOP?!?!
Historic losses? Woody that hyperoble is a little much, even for you. I posted an article last month that compared the unemployment rate under President George W. Bush with the unemployment rate under President Obama at that time. I felt compelled to publish this article because some left-leaning sites were comparing Obama’s first two years and three months in office with Bush’s last and worst economic year (the above chart shows the most recent incarnation of this narrative).
In light of yesterday’s jobs numbers, some left-leaning blogs continue to use Bush’s last year as a foil to Obama’s two years and four months in office.
In April, the private sector added 268,000 jobs in the fourteenth consecutive month of private sector job growth. This is good news, though the media certainly seems to be portraying it far more positively than it really is. For instance, The New York Times reported that this number constituted the highest number of private sector jobs added in the last five years.
Why five years?
Because if one were to choose another round-number period such as ten years, it would be the 9th best month.
Pretty darn convenient, isn’t it?
The bad news is that the seasonally-adjusted unemployment rate actually ticked up in April from a whopping 8.8% to an even worse 9.0%. This number is 1.7 percentage points worse than President Bush’s last full month in office in December 2008.
Furthermore, the unemployment rate only accounts for the percentage of the unemployed who are actively seeking employment. It does not include people who have given up on finding employment.
Both the Bush and Obama presidencies have been marked by a steady decline in the labor force participation rate. The labor force participation rate measures the number of people in the labor force as a percentage of the total working-age population.
Therefore, the unemployment situation is even worse than it appears, because it does not account for people who have been forced to exit the labor market because they can not find jobs.
Another negative data point is last week’s rise in jobless claims. According to The New York Times, jobless claims in the week ending April 30th represented an eight-month high.
Putting the Numbers into Perspective
President Bush’s overall record continues to look far better than President Obama’s to date. Over President Bush’s presidency, the private sector created a net 141,000 jobs (my last post reported 188,000, but it did not include January 2001 data). Surprisingly, this number includes the 3.78 million private sector jobs lost in 2008.
In contrast, under President Obama’s administration, the private sector has still lost a net 2.96 million private sector jobs.
Again, the point of this argument is not to assess blame on either administrations’ policy. It simply puts the left’s claims into perspective.
For every job that the private sector created under George W. Bush, the private sector eliminated ~21 jobs under Barack Obama. While the private sector job outlook has improved recently, the economy still must create 2.96 million private sector jobs to break even

I would like to take credit, but this was sent to me by a staffer in Vancouver.

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#112 Feb 8, 2013
asif wrote:
<quoted text>
Well,i am not a Pakistani,but for sure the relationship between china and pakistan is very strong and at its best.
Nothing on that relationship yet?

Since: Oct 08

Location hidden

#113 Feb 8, 2013
tha Professor wrote:
<quoted text>
Presidents are unable to hand out anything much to anyone. All spending bills go through the House, obviously.
You seem to be deluded...
the last budget passed, technically was in 2009, but it was more of Omnibus spending bill, signed by President Obama, not willingly, but he had no choice if he wanted to keep the huge federal money eating machine going.. The following year, Democrats chose not to put forth a budget bill because they deemed it politically imprudent during the hotly contested midterm elections. Same thing happened the next year. You get the point.

St. Croix valley

#114 Feb 8, 2013
Niether of the Above wrote:
<quoted text>Historic losses? Woody that hyperoble is a little much, even for you. I posted an article last month that compared the unemployment rate under President George W. Bush with the unemployment rate under President Obama at that time. I felt compelled to publish this article because some left-leaning sites were comparing Obama’s first two years and three months in office with Bush’s last and worst economic year (the above chart shows the most recent incarnation of this narrative).
In light of yesterday’s jobs numbers, some left-leaning blogs continue to use Bush’s last year as a foil to Obama’s two years and four months in office.
In April, the private sector added 268,000 jobs in the fourteenth consecutive month of private sector job growth. This is good news, though the media certainly seems to be portraying it far more positively than it really is. For instance, The New York Times reported that this number constituted the highest number of private sector jobs added in the last five years.
Why five years?
Because if one were to choose another round-number period such as ten years, it would be the 9th best month.
Pretty darn convenient, isn’t it?
The bad news is that the seasonally-adjusted unemployment rate actually ticked up in April from a whopping 8.8% to an even worse 9.0%. This number is 1.7 percentage points worse than President Bush’s last full month in office in December 2008.
Furthermore, the unemployment rate only accounts for the percentage of the unemployed who are actively seeking employment. It does not include people who have given up on finding employment.
Both the Bush and Obama presidencies have been marked by a steady decline in the labor force participation rate. The labor force participation rate measures the number of people in the labor force as a percentage of the total working-age population.
Therefore, the unemployment situation is even worse than it appears, because it does not account for people who have been forced to exit the labor market because they can not find jobs.
Another negative data point is last week’s rise in jobless claims. According to The New York Times, jobless claims in the week ending April 30th represented an eight-month high.
Putting the Numbers into Perspective
President Bush’s overall record continues to look far better than President Obama’s to date. Over President Bush’s presidency, the private sector created a net 141,000 jobs (my last post reported 188,000, but it did not include January 2001 data). Surprisingly, this number includes the 3.78 million private sector jobs lost in 2008.
In contrast, under President Obama’s administration, the private sector has still lost a net 2.96 million private sector jobs.
Again, the point of this argument is not to assess blame on either administrations’ policy. It simply puts the left’s claims into perspective.
For every job that the private sector created under George W. Bush, the private sector eliminated ~21 jobs under Barack Obama. While the private sector job outlook has improved recently, the economy still must create 2.96 million private sector jobs to break even
I would like to take credit, but this was sent to me by a staffer in Vancouver.
So you'r esaying we didn't have historic job loss numbers when bush left office? you can site all the stats you want but you know it is true. and now we're back to where we were, plus some...in 4 short years.
Responsibility

San Mateo, CA

#115 Feb 8, 2013
serfs up wrote:
<quoted text> There is so little time left.
Are you as paranoid as you sound?

you guys need to build a bunker, take your tinned tuna and your guns and wait for the "little time left".

Geez!
fatbacks x

Portland, OR

#116 Feb 8, 2013
Just think! The iraq oil paid for all this bulls--t in this feeble, broke a-- country.

St. Croix valley

#117 Feb 8, 2013
fatbacks x wrote:
Just think! The iraq oil paid for all this bulls--t in this feeble, broke a-- country.
that's no way to talk about the US...
Asif

Anonymous Proxy

#118 Feb 8, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>Nothing on that relationship yet?
At the moment Only love and kisses.
Silent Echo

Petersburg, VA

#119 Feb 9, 2013
tha Professor wrote:
<quoted text>
Presidents are unable to hand out anything much to anyone. All spending bills go through the House, obviously.
You seem to be deluded...
To be signed by WHO, into law? Oh, I almost forgot, once these bills go through the house who must vote on them before they go to the president?

You seem to have very selective memory.
Silent Echo

Petersburg, VA

#120 Feb 9, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>yeah, all the republicans on welfare and taking subsidies voted for Obam, huh? If you actually look at the election map, you'll see that all those farmers taking the gov't handouts voted for romney...
guess your theory is based on manure...
I have no theories based on you, however, please give me the facts that support your theory that all states with big farming communities voted for Romney. I did not know there were states that were devoid of a farming industry. By the way, blacks who voted in about 95% for obama have by percentage the very biggest number of people on welfare, ergo, they were waiting for their handouts.

“Science not Conservatism”

Since: Jan 12

Progress, not Denial

#122 Feb 9, 2013
Niether of the Above wrote:
<quoted text>Historic losses? Woody that hyperoble is a little much, even for you. I posted an article last month that compared the unemployment rate under President George W. Bush with the unemployment rate under President Obama at that time....EDITED....
Trouble is, righties usually compare those things because a) the recession only hit at the END of Bush's 8-year misrule, thus making him look better over that period of time, and b) the recession really HIT just as Obama took office, and while we've made gains in reducing the unemployment rate it looks worse under Obama because it bottomed out after Bush left office.

Neither President, to be fair, caused the recession or is responsible for it. But Obama's administration had to bear the brunt of it, and the blame.

Progress, not Denial

#123 Feb 9, 2013
Silent Echo wrote:
<quoted text>
To be signed by WHO, into law? Oh, I almost forgot, once these bills go through the house who must vote on them before they go to the president?
You seem to have very selective memory.
So, because he signs a bill, that means he's handing stuff out, even though the GOPee-dominated House is the body voting on spending?

LOL...you're clueless.

St. Croix valley

#124 Feb 9, 2013
Silent Echo wrote:
<quoted text>
I have no theories based on you, however, please give me the facts that support your theory that all states with big farming communities voted for Romney. I did not know there were states that were devoid of a farming industry. By the way, blacks who voted in about 95% for obama have by percentage the very biggest number of people on welfare, ergo, they were waiting for their handouts.
Ummmm....look at any election map and you can see, down to the county, who voted for whom....You do know where the agricultural regions of our nation are, don't you?

sheesh!

St. Croix valley

#125 Feb 9, 2013
Asif wrote:
<quoted text>
At the moment Only love and kisses.
Pretty much what I thought.... i love to see post obvvious bullshit and then run like a scared turkeys when called on it...
Silent Echo

Petersburg, VA

#126 Feb 9, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>Ummmm....look at any election map and you can see, down to the county, who voted for whom....You do know where the agricultural regions of our nation are, don't you?
sheesh!
Yes, Florida and California, the two biggest fruit growers in this country. Remind me once again, who did they turn out for?
Right back at you with your sheesh!
Silent Echo

Petersburg, VA

#127 Feb 9, 2013
tha Professor wrote:
<quoted text>
So, because he signs a bill, that means he's handing stuff out, even though the GOPee-dominated House is the body voting on spending?
LOL...you're clueless.
Actually you are still very simple minded in your thoughts.

The Republican house votes on the bills and sends them to the Democrat Senate. The Senate either votes to ratify the bills or presents another bill back to the house. Only when the Senate and House both vote on said bill does it go to the Democrat President who signs the bill into law. Did you sleep through this class in school?

St. Croix valley

#128 Feb 9, 2013
Silent Echo wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, Florida and California, the two biggest fruit growers in this country. Remind me once again, who did they turn out for?
did you look at the growing areas and see who they voted for?

reality is fun!

Progress, not Denial

#129 Feb 9, 2013
Silent Echo wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually you are still very simple minded in your thoughts.
The Republican house votes on the bills and sends them to the Democrat Senate. The Senate either votes to ratify the bills or presents another bill back to the house. Only when the Senate and House both vote on said bill does it go to the Democrat President who signs the bill into law. Did you sleep through this class in school?
Um, where did I say those things did not happen, or indicate I didn't know how government works?

The claim was that Obama was "handing out" stuff to voters, and that was a false claim. He does not have the power to "hand out" anything. Bills which create benefits of some kind, whether they're tax breaks, certain spending increases, or whatever, are passed by CONGRESS and SIGNED by the President.

I think you lost sight of that somewhere in your eagerness to launch your (failed) attack on me. Read more closely in future, please.

Progress, not Denial

#130 Feb 9, 2013
In fact, now that I look again, it was you (Silent Echo) which posted this reply to Go Blue:

Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text>.....HERE'S A MESSAGE FOR YOU......PRESIDENT OBAMA WON A SECOND TERM, BECAUSE THE MAJORITY OF AMERICANS.......want his leadership......Duh......

Silent Echo wrote:
Actually, no, that majority you talk about wants his hand outs.

LOLOL

St. Croix valley

#131 Feb 9, 2013
Silent Echo wrote:
<quoted text>
here ya go fool! i love helping fools look more foolish...

http://www.politico.com/2012-election/results...

check the california one on politico if you want...

Wanna cracker pretty bird?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barack Obama Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The President has failed us (Jun '12) 35 min woodtick57 293,456
Obama: Keystone benefits for U.S. consumers, wo... 1 hr serfs up 55
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 1 hr wojar 181,867
Ruble crisis could shake Putin's grip on power 2 hr Cassandra_ 96
Ben Carson: Race Relations Have 'Gotten Worse' ... 2 hr serfs up 778
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 hr johnplustwomore 1,154,314
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 3 hr OzRitz 49,237
More from around the web