White House to release legal rationale for killing of US citizens with drones

Feb 6, 2013 Full story: The Guardian 182

The White House's decision to release its legal reasoning for the killing of US citizens by armed drones is likely defuse some of the tension at John Brennan's confirmation hearing as CIA director.

Full Story

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#66 Feb 7, 2013
Justin wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't want to beat Obama up over this, but in addition to the debate over the drone strike agianst the cleric / AlQueda recruiter Mr. Anwar al-Aulaqi (which most people don't have issue with), there are also questions being raised about why his [16 year old son] was killed in a seperate drone strike weeks before.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abdulrahman_al-A...
This is two very different incidents.
Was he a terrorist also?
Gary

Bellingham, WA

#68 Feb 7, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>Was he a terrorist also?
Maybe this 16 year-old attended one of those
Wahabi schools funded by some Saudi prince
where they teach hatred of the West
and especially of America. Suicide bomber
material?

“Yeah, but...”

Since: Sep 11

MILKY WAY

#69 Feb 7, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
They DO have a chance to face their accusers by surrendering. Any American citizen can surrender to US forces anywhere around the globe at any time.
If they CHOOSE not to confront their accusers, then they're fair game.
Chip... Chip.... Chip...

That's the sound of your freedom being chipped away.

Chip... Chip... Chip

But, hey! At least you're safe...

Today.

Chip... Chip... Chip
Far Away

Anchorage, AK

#70 Feb 7, 2013
Given the arbitrary and capricious nature of this proclamation that Øbama can assassinate Americans on foreign soil, I'd suggest no one from Fox News, Rush Limbaugh, Glenn Beck, anyone affiliated with the TEA folks, or any number of other conservative voices visit any foreign nations.
Thomas More

Aledo, IL

#72 Feb 7, 2013
when Thomas More made his Devil Speech in Henry VIII's England on the law it had as much relevance then as it does now. When More's daughter beseeched her father that Rich was Bad, He said there is no law against that. William Roper, his future son in law, stated there is God's law to which More replied, Then God can arrest him. to which Roper responded, So, now you give the Devil the bnefit of law! Yes! What would you do? Cut a great road through the law to get after the devil? Roper:Yes, I'd cut down every law in England to do that! More: Oh? And when the last law was down and the devil turned 'round on you, where would you hided, Roper, the laws all being flat? This Country is planted thick with laws, from coast to coast. Man's law, not Gods!And if you cut them down, and your just the man to do it, do you really think you could stand uprightin the winds that would blow then? Yes, I'd give the devil the benefit of law for my own safetys sake! God..... to have a man of so much character and relevance in Government today.

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#73 Feb 7, 2013
SirPrize wrote:
<quoted text>
Chip... Chip.... Chip...
Chip... Chip... Chip
Today.
Chip... Chip... Chip
I'm not a psycho conspiracy theorist who's afraid of their own government.

If you want to live your life in constant fear of black helicopters and drones following you, feel free to do so.

Tawas City, Michigan

#74 Feb 7, 2013
SirPrize wrote:
<quoted text>
Chip... Chip.... Chip...
Chip... Chip... Chip
Today.
Chip... Chip... Chip
Btw, you're extremely naive if you think this type of govt sanctioned killing of our enemies (foreign & domestic) hasn't been going on since our nation was founded.

Since: Jan 12

Commonwealth of Pennsylvania

#75 Feb 7, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
Since I'm not a terrorist and don't support terrorism, I have nothing to worry about.
Replace Jew with terrorist.

"First they came for the Jews and I did not speak out because I was not a Jew.

Then they came for the Communists and I did not speak out because I was not a Communist.

Then they came for the trade unionists and I did not speak out because I was not a trade unionist.

Then they came for me and there was no one left to speak out for me. "
Thomas More

Aledo, IL

#76 Feb 7, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
If you want to live your life in constant fear of black helicopters and drones following you, feel free to do so.
It is none of those things you mention, but rather the Rule of law and the protections afforded the citizens by those laws and with what authority The Government has the right to circumvent those laws. These are the questions that should be pertinant to every American It is not about fear of the government and it's implements of power and intimidation but rather the limitations of that power of and their right to exercise it.!
Asif

Rawalpindi, Pakistan

#77 Feb 7, 2013
serfs up wrote:
<quoted text> You will get your wish. And you will burn in hell after you turn America into the same. You must have really been ph uked with in life to be this twisted. Most of us have taken crap to varying degrees. May you find the courage to see through evil and what is right and wrong even if it means you don't shine as bright on this planet. That is the true measure of a man. One that is not noticed or known to others. It hurts. Little failures or personal ones are one thing. Condemning a whole people to live an abysmal life is another. Please don't give in so easily. For your attitude has infected others. Our wealth is declining and those same will and are adjust to collect from government to keep this downturn spinning. Its human nature. And finally, the men who end up controlling those drones after obama leaves office will be who you despise by your rants. Choose freedom over tyranny. There is so little time left.
Let America keep busy fighting and China keep improving.Arrogance will eventually will take its toll.

Since: Mar 09

The Left Coast

#78 Feb 7, 2013
Jan Brewer and Joe Arpaio should be nervous.
Ken

Zephyrhills, FL

#79 Feb 7, 2013
Obama the incompetent boob already killed Americans ...he did nothing while our Seals and embassy officials were murdered by al Queida.

Write " OBAMA SUCKS ". On all your cash!!!!!!!
serfs up

Kissimmee, FL

#80 Feb 8, 2013
You can learn about our history in films and television of the past. Some not so good. There was a so-so made for television program that was an idea for a series and was not renewed for that. It was made in the late 1960's I believe and was called "Shadow on the Land". It starred Gene Hackman, Jackie Cooper and John Forsythe. Used to be rerun on UHF television a lot during the 1970's. Anyway America was a police state. The beginning of the movie has a gruff voice over with an image of the Constitution. The Constitution has a large X painted over it as the voice explains how we are used to rights and then lose them. Anyway in a scene in the movie there is a person who is carried away from the airport because of complaining. For some reason I remembered that especially after the TSA came into existence under the thumbprint of Homeland Security. The image of the Constitution and the person being carried out is something I won't forget. The movie deals with freedom fighters fighting the entrenched police state basically. And the funny thing is, with 500 stations, it is never rerun. Never! Have not heard of it for many years. Freedom is vigilance. And the sight of that is diminished when we look at our own needs and push what we have been born with in the background thinking we will never lose it.
stormy

Shinnston, WV

#81 Feb 8, 2013
Didn't you listen to Panetta yesterday? Still
trying to excuse Obama and his people for what
did and will happen? There is no hope for the idiots who roam this country. You nearing have
sunk us, keep it up, you and Obama will finally
do what He has planned. Killing without a trial
is exactally what we stand for now. What kind of
noise will you make, WHEN ITS ONE OF YOURS..
Still stand by your man aganst your own...
NOTHING is going to change HIM or the idiots who
agree with him

Since: Nov 08

Paris

#82 Feb 8, 2013
Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text>No need...he's outta office and hiding in Crawford, Texas now.....
pssssssssssst moron, they live in Dallas now. A stupid liberal, who would have thunk it.

Since: Nov 08

Paris

#83 Feb 8, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
Those unwilling to die for their country are not fit to live in it. We have never had the over reach that we see with Obama. You joke about black helicopters, maybe you should change that to black drones.
Justin

United States

#84 Feb 8, 2013
Asif wrote:
<quoted text>
Let America keep busy fighting and China keep improving.Arrogance will eventually will take its toll.
Ignorance has certainly taken it's toll on your honmeland.

St. Croix valley

#85 Feb 8, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
Btw, you're extremely naive if you think this type of govt sanctioned killing of our enemies (foreign & domestic) hasn't been going on since our nation was founded.
Ahhh, but they're now using high tech!

St. Croix valley

#86 Feb 8, 2013
Le Jimbo wrote:
<quoted text>Those unwilling to die for their country are not fit to live in it. We have never had the over reach that we see with Obama. You joke about black helicopters, maybe you should change that to black drones.
Really? you don't remember the reaction to 9-11?

Tawas City, Michigan

#87 Feb 8, 2013
Thomas More wrote:
<quoted text>It is none of those things you mention, but rather the Rule of law and the protections afforded the citizens by those laws and with what authority The Government has the right to circumvent those laws. These are the questions that should be pertinant to every American It is not about fear of the government and it's implements of power and intimidation but rather the limitations of that power of and their right to exercise it.!
When you join a terrorist organization which is plotting attacks on Americans, then you just became an enemy combatant.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barack Obama Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The President has failed us (Jun '12) 9 min Fed Up Again 262,326
Teen's Shooting Highlights Racial Tension 12 min Concern Citizen 2,781
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 13 min Joy 1,110,359
Obama pledges to fight war on Ebola 13 min kuda 22
GOP congressional candidate endorses going to w... 14 min ronnie 1
Obama thanks Congress for vote to aid Syrian re... 16 min barefoot2626 15
Anti-gay Tenn. billboard stirs religion debate 17 min cancer suxs 3
•••

Barack Obama People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE