Obama promises more than 600,000 stim...

Obama promises more than 600,000 stimulus jobs

There are 109535 comments on the Newsday story from Jun 8, 2009, titled Obama promises more than 600,000 stimulus jobs. In it, Newsday reports that:

President Barack Obama promised Monday to deliver more than 600,000 jobs through his $787 billion stimulus plan this summer, with federal agencies pumping billions into public works projects, schools and summer youth programs.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

Teddy R

Mclean, VA

#115944 Jun 18, 2012
joe wrote:
<quoted text>
Another right wing deflection. You don't know what it was about and can't explain it so claim I should do it for you. So, you define it if you can, Mr. Independent.
This should be good...
You're such a childish pouter.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Fast_a...

Now carry on. Tell us why Holder is stonewalling and why he won't turn over what Congress is demanding.

Since: Aug 07

South Central Virginia

#115945 Jun 18, 2012
Teddy R wrote:
<quoted text>
You get a C+, gatorbait.
Makeup question to salvage your grade:
1) If there were ways to "slim down the delivery process to recoup the losses to stay in the black" available to you _before_ corp taxes were increased on your business, WHY DIDN'T YOU, and produce better profits? Why are you waiting until you're in a loss-making position before effecting changes for efficiency? Answer - You're an incompetent, lazy manager. You're fired.
And an extra credit question - get this right and you MIGHT pass the test:
2) If you are a competent manager, already running your business at maximum efficiency so there is no possible way to further "slim down the delivery process," when US corporate taxes are raised on your business, pushing you beyond the point where "expenditure increases (can be) passed down to the consumer" because "one can only charge for goods and services what the market will bear," WHAT HAPPENS?
(Big hint - as you seem to need it - from your own post: "It is entirely possible to charge ones way out of business).
Class dismissed.
You really are that ignorant of the process aren't you?

In most businesses, making the process more efficient often means that you use CAPEX to purchase new equipment. Many times you might want to wait until your other equipment has been totally depreciated OR the CAPEX is not worthwhile without some other problem forcing the issue.

For always trying to run as efficiently as possible and spending the money necesaary to do that without watching expenses, YOUR FIRED!

Since: Aug 07

South Central Virginia

#115946 Jun 18, 2012
Teddy R wrote:
<quoted text>
Your #1 is correct.
Your #2 is refuted by the simple observation that the profit motive drives any well-run and well-managed business to have already implemented any available efficiencies in order to realized increased profit.
Your #3 is just as fallacious as #2, for the same reason.
Thus my statement remains PROVEN: In the long run, all other things remaining equal, taxes levied on corporations are simply passed on to, and therefore paid by, their customers in the prices of their products.
Now, if you wish me to modify my statement to this:
"In the long run, all other things remaining equal, taxes levied on corporations are simply passed on to, and therefore paid by, their customers in the prices of their products, IF THE CORPORATION IS NOT TAXED OUT OF BUSINESS ALTOGETHER," then I would agree to this.
I would dismiss you again, but it's clear you really ARE compelled to continue flinging poo on yourself this way, aren't you?
The profit motive often says to wait until an expense can pay for itself. Unlike you, I would not spend dollars to save dimes. YOUR FIRED!
nac

Selden, NY

#115947 Jun 18, 2012
joe wrote:
<quoted text>
Another right wing deflection. You don't know what it was about and can't explain it so claim I should do it for you. So, you define it if you can, Mr. Independent.
This should be good...
Anyone that isn't bound by the constraints of having to blindly defend a party/administration can easily explain it.

The DOJ allowed smugglers to take tens of thousands of guns from the US to Mexico. The guns would be used in crimes there and "loose US gun laws" would be blamed. It was an attempted scheme to weaken the 2nd Amendment.

You have said twice that "I don't know what it is about." Well there you go, it's not complicated. Now let me hear your take on the matter.

By the way, criticizing democrats does not make me right wing. I hate and criticize the republican criminals as well. My position is that the false left/right paradigm is one of the biggest problems this country faces.
bozo3341

Nashua, NH

#115948 Jun 18, 2012
we tried three stimulas plans they did not do what was promised. they did run up national debt.

Gov can't not stimulate economies. Russia, Cuba all tried and failed. Economies are stimulated when Consumers have money , confidence in the gov in charge and future to plan ahead and spend money.

Our problem is Federal state and city governments take too much money out of the economy leaving consumers with too little money to effect the direction of our economy.

The people in charge of federal state and city government today have guided us to where we are today. if you like your economic statis today vote for the people in charge

If you need change vote for new faces ideas parties to lead cause the people running things now do not know how to change anything or they would have done so by now.
Teddy R

Mclean, VA

#115949 Jun 18, 2012
okboston wrote:
<quoted text>
You really are that ignorant of the process aren't you?
In most businesses, making the process more efficient often means that you use CAPEX to purchase new equipment. Many times you might want to wait until your other equipment has been totally depreciated OR the CAPEX is not worthwhile without some other problem forcing the issue.
For always trying to run as efficiently as possible and spending the money necesaary to do that without watching expenses, YOUR FIRED!
O rly. So you think good management is running the capital PPE into the ground just to minimize CAPEX even when analysis shows a CAPEX expenditure has returns in excess of cost of capital, and positive effect on corporate Net Worth, eh?

Well, now - that's a fascinatingly original theory.

In that case, Professor Obvious, would you please explain to the class how a CAPEX expenditure has doesn't produce returns in excess of cost of capital, and positive effect on corporate Net Worth on its own merits suddenly does produce positive returns in excess of cost of capital just by virtue of receiving an increased corporate tax bill?

Take your time, Professor. Give us time to stop laughing and thanking the stars you aren't CFO of the businesses we own and work for.

Not only are you fired - you never got hired to begin with - and American business is much the better for it.

Oh - and I fear we're running out of poo here, no matter how much you insist on continuing to bury yourself in it. The game ends when we're out of poo - fair warning.
Teddy R

Mclean, VA

#115950 Jun 18, 2012
okboston wrote:
<quoted text>
The profit motive often says to wait until an expense can pay for itself. Unlike you, I would not spend dollars to save dimes. YOUR FIRED!
Stop it - you're killing me.

An individual capital expense either does or does not pay for itself at the EBIT level REGARDLESS of the corporation's overall tax expense.

Keep your day job (assuming you have one) OKB - you don't have a future in corporate finance.
joe

San Anselmo, CA

#115951 Jun 18, 2012
nac wrote:
<quoted text>
...The guns would be used in crimes there and "loose US gun laws" would be blamed. It was an attempted scheme to weaken the 2nd Amendment.
You have said twice that "I don't know what it is about." Well there you go, it's not complicated. Now let me hear your take on the matter.
Where is your reference for this "story". Especially the junk about "loose US gun laws would be blamed" and "an attempted scheme to weaken the 2nd Amendment".

Ooops, your vaunted un-bias is looking a little biased, isn't it. Why not stick to chatting it up with little Teddy.
joe

San Anselmo, CA

#115952 Jun 18, 2012
Teddy R wrote:
<quoted text>
You're such a childish pouter.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Fast_a...
Now carry on. Tell us why Holder is stonewalling and why he won't turn over what Congress is demanding.
Jeez, what a blowhard you are. I'm sure nac will appreciate you answering questions for him, though you reference doesn't say anything about "weakening gun laws" as the basis for an attack on the 2nd Amendment.

You are a pompous fool, contrary to your own misconceptions. Ta.
joe

San Anselmo, CA

#115953 Jun 18, 2012
bozo3341 wrote:
we tried three stimulas plans they did not do what was promised. they did run up national debt.
Gov can't not stimulate economies.
Where have stimulus plans "run up the national debt"? Could you back something up, please?
nac

Patchogue, NY

#115954 Jun 18, 2012
joe wrote:
<quoted text>
Where is your reference for this "story". Especially the junk about "loose US gun laws would be blamed" and "an attempted scheme to weaken the 2nd Amendment".
Ooops, your vaunted un-bias is looking a little biased, isn't it. Why not stick to chatting it up with little Teddy.
I need no reference, it is my interpretation of what happened. You asked, I obliged. I then asked you for your take.

I evaluated the facts and decided that I believe it was ultimately intended to be used to take on the 2nd amendment... maybe I'm right, maybe I'm wrong. I don't know how it shows my bias, however, since both parties are involved in it.

At any rate, what is your take? Are you willing to form an opinion, or do you need your party to tell you what your opinion is? Will they kick you out if you think for yourself?
nac

Patchogue, NY

#115955 Jun 18, 2012
And by the way... Teddy is waaay to much of a left wing moonbat for my taste!
Teddy R

Mclean, VA

#115956 Jun 18, 2012
nac wrote:
<quoted text>
I need no reference, it is my interpretation of what happened. You asked, I obliged. I then asked you for your take.
I evaluated the facts and decided that I believe it was ultimately intended to be used to take on the 2nd amendment... maybe I'm right, maybe I'm wrong. I don't know how it shows my bias, however, since both parties are involved in it.
At any rate, what is your take? Are you willing to form an opinion, or do you need your party to tell you what your opinion is? Will they kick you out if you think for yourself?
You're right, and the White House e-mails show it. Which is why Holder is stonewalling Congress on releasing them.
nac

Patchogue, NY

#115957 Jun 18, 2012
Teddy R wrote:
<quoted text>
You're right, and the White House e-mails show it. Which is why Holder is stonewalling Congress on releasing them.
Shhh! Pipe down Teddy, I don't want him to know we're in cahoots!
joe

San Anselmo, CA

#115958 Jun 18, 2012
nac wrote:
<quoted text>
Shhh! Pipe down Teddy, I don't want him to know we're in cahoots!
I wouldn't think you're in cahoots, just hoots.
nac

Patchogue, NY

#115959 Jun 18, 2012
joe wrote:
<quoted text>
I wouldn't think you're in cahoots, just hoots.
Good one. So what is your take on Fast and Furious?
nac

Patchogue, NY

#115960 Jun 18, 2012
Seriously Joe, you accused me of not knowing what Fast and Furious was, hours ago. Then, I gave you the facts of what it is, and my opinion of it, and asked you for your opinion... and you haven't opined at all about it. Why is that, joe?
joe

San Anselmo, CA

#115961 Jun 18, 2012
nac wrote:
<quoted text>
Good one. So what is your take on Fast and Furious?
I don't think it's any different than any of the other "gun walking" programs the government has been using for years. Operation Wide Receiver in '06 and '07 saw 450 guns sold and lost in Mexico.

When I look at government operations I don't hold any special ruler up to human behavior. All the rules are operative; excellence, incompetence, brilliance, stupidity, success, failure and mischance. It's human nature. Not everything is about political intrigue.
nac

Patchogue, NY

#115962 Jun 18, 2012
joe wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't think it's any different than any of the other "gun walking" programs the government has been using for years. Operation Wide Receiver in '06 and '07 saw 450 guns sold and lost in Mexico.
When I look at government operations I don't hold any special ruler up to human behavior. All the rules are operative; excellence, incompetence, brilliance, stupidity, success, failure and mischance. It's human nature. Not everything is about political intrigue.
What are you trying to say? Do you think gun walking operations are ok? If so, did you think they were ok when Bush was doing it? Be honest.
joe

San Anselmo, CA

#115963 Jun 18, 2012
nac wrote:
<quoted text>
What are you trying to say? Do you think gun walking operations are ok? If so, did you think they were ok when Bush was doing it? Be honest.
Are they ok? I don't have a clue. Seems the concept makes sense: if you control the source it's easier to track the guns. As far as execution is concerned, I haven't a clue. This turns out to be one of those instances where an agent became a whistle-blower. I guess we have to decide whether we reward whistle-blowing or punish it. There sure doesn't seem to be anything criminal going on. Issa's on a mission.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barack Obama Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Trump would deport children of illegal immigrants 17 min Truth is might 451
News The View that Putin's Advisor Has on Obama's Uk... (Nov '14) 58 min PolakPotrafi 3,226
News The President has failed us (Jun '12) 1 hr Quirky 340,809
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 1 hr Dr Guru 196,962
News In America, atheists are still in the closet (Apr '12) 1 hr thetruth 47,781
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 2 hr Earthling-1 54,503
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 hr shinningelectr0n 1,275,358
More from around the web