Obama fairy tale has Chicago-size hole

Obama fairy tale has Chicago-size hole

There are 198 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Jan 9, 2008, titled Obama fairy tale has Chicago-size hole. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

Prospective First Laddie Bill Clinton bought into the fairy tale theme Tuesday in New Hampshire, wondering why the media doesn't treat Sen.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 10
Next Last
nick

San Pablo, CA

#2 Jan 9, 2008
OMIGOD you're so awesome. I LOVE your editorials!

Since: Dec 07

Willowbrook, IL.

#3 Jan 9, 2008
finaly someone in the press notices what i have been saying for months. obama is a probuct of illinois politics. with illinois record of politicians going to jail how can someone who is part on the illinois system of government promise to change the status quoe in washington dc?
JohnP

Tinley Park, IL

#7 Jan 9, 2008
If there's one thing the media loves more than a liberal, it's knocking someone off their pedastal. Believe me, if Obama becomes a clear front runner, he going to get nailed. Look at how they went after Giuliani and, now, Huckabee when they were front runners. Now it's McCain's turn (and the media loves McCain). It's been Hillary's turn all along, that is, until Obama wins a few more primaries.
DBX

Lafayette, IN

#8 Jan 9, 2008
So now my curiosity is piqued. How do the Clintons go about ripping up the fairy tale? THey did it in New Hampshire simply using Obama's "overnight success" phenomenon against him with working class voters. But I think they'll need more in the coming weeks.
DBX

Lafayette, IN

#9 Jan 9, 2008
OH -- and with women. But I somehow don't think the media is going to be so stupid as to try and turn Hillary Clinton into Edmund Muskie over and over again.
Suzanne

Chicago, IL

#10 Jan 9, 2008
I wrote the Obama campaign to seek clarity about information that I read in the Sun Times (sorry Kass!) on Jan 1. They reported that Obama chose not to support the Democratic challenge to the results in the state of Ohio during the 2004 presidential election. To quote the Sun Times " He faced angering party leaders on his first day by voting not to join Sen. Barbara Boxer (D-Calif.) and African-American congressmen in rejecting the vote totals from Ohio, where Democrats say faulty voting machines and bad voter-registration policies threw the close election to Bush. Obama said through chief strategist David Axelrod that he voted to accept the results because Kerry himself said he did not want to fight it."

I asked his campaign how he could have made such a decision! While thousands were clearly disenfranchised through the voting process in Ohio, he chose not to fight. As a self proclaimed civil rights leader, he turned his back on the African American communities of Ohio and refused to take a stand. How disempowering is that?!

At least he could have displayed more political accumen than to fold to the Republicans and stand up to challenge the vote, regardless of what Kerry's position was. Politically, I feel he missed an opportunity to challenge the status quo, to challenge the manipulation of the elections by the Republicans, and to make an important political statement.

His decision of 2004 makes me question his ability to take difficult stands in the future.

There has been no other media coverage of this. I have not received an answer from Obamba's campaign. Will someone please continue to push this and get answers from him?!

Marie

North Aurora, IL

#11 Jan 9, 2008
Our state and county are in shambles. The fact that Democrats control EVERYTHING in Illinois, and that all of this corruption, in-fighting, gridlock, patronage, indecision, and egomania is at the feet of ONE party is very disturbing. The fact that Obama came from this political mess is also a bit unsettling (and I support the man). Republicans are comatose in Illinois, so not help there. Very upsetting.

We have a governor who hides from everyone because he is afraid of all of the questions about the latest report of a scandal brewing (and education, mass transit, and state universities are falling apart), a county president who is way over his head after hiring every relative and friend he knows (and sick people and the under staffed hospitals do not get the attention they need), and every branch of government just wants to keep raising taxes that the middle class (what is left) cannot afford.

I do not like Hillary and she would be more of the same (raising taxes), and Barack, Durbin, Blago, and Stroger have not done a thing, so who is left?
andy

London, UK

#12 Jan 9, 2008
Kass, try writing with the sharp end of the pencil. You are no Royko.
grandma

Southport, CT

#13 Jan 9, 2008
Thank you, dear. That was very nice. Maybe we'll like Obama better once he shows us some concrete planning. What we know so far is that he seriously believes that people will buy cheap health insurance if they're not forced to, and that he'd invade Pakistan if given the soft of evidence -- what words did he use?-- basically the sort of evidence Bush thought he had when he invaded Iraq. I had to Google it before I found out that being an Illinois State Senator is only a part time job. The way BHO uses it in his CV, you'd think it was comparable to years in DC. If you wrote about Hillary's verkempt moment, you probably ought to apologize for that, too.
Liam

United States

#14 Jan 9, 2008
Kass is at it again. Here he is telling us about how he does not care for the two leading candidates for the Democratic Party nomination. What a shocker that Kass, who never met a Republican politician that he did not swoon about, wants to tell us all about how the two leading Democrats are not perfect.

The Republicans are full of people who are corrupt, serial Newt like cheaters, and war profiteers, but Kass never notices that. I guess he can be excused for not paying attention to all those Republican scoundrels that are filling up the Federal penitentiaries, because Kass is still in his "youthful indiscretions" stage of life. Long in the tooth for that, yes, but it appears to be a Republican trait.

Henry Hyde is smiling up at Kass, and nodding in hypocritical approval.

You have to love all those Republicans , such as Kass, who over look the mortal sins of their party brethren, but always shout and scream about the venal sins of some Democrats.

Kass is nothing but a Republican shill.
LindaT

Chicago, IL

#15 Jan 9, 2008
God help me but I'm glad Hillary beat Obama. The Obama fairy tale does need to be shredded. Start with the overall Illinois political situation; add in Tony and some weird real estate deals; toss in supporting Toddler; and then remember that Emil Jones is widely credited as Obama's mentor. Let the shredding begin.
LindaT

Chicago, IL

#16 Jan 9, 2008
Oh - and don't forget wife Michele announcing that blacks should vote for blacks and her 100% pay increase once her husband was elected senator.
Wondering

Elmhurst, IL

#17 Jan 9, 2008
Can someone please me tell what Obama has done for IL (as Senator) other than write books about himself, travel to Africa and all over the US and other parts of the world? He has absolutely no experience at anything other than being a world traveler. He has spent more time o the road than doing anything at all for IL. All he has been doing for the past 2 yrs is "run for President". Obama needs to thank Alan Keys and the Republicans for getting him to be where he is today.
sickofit

Chicago, IL

#18 Jan 9, 2008
Marie wrote:
Our state and county are in shambles. The fact that Democrats control EVERYTHING in Illinois, and that all of this corruption, in-fighting, gridlock, patronage, indecision, and egomania is at the feet of ONE party is very disturbing. The fact that Obama came from this political mess is also a bit unsettling (and I support the man). Republicans are comatose in Illinois, so not help there. Very upsetting.
We have a governor who hides from everyone because he is afraid of all of the questions about the latest report of a scandal brewing (and education, mass transit, and state universities are falling apart), a county president who is way over his head after hiring every relative and friend he knows (and sick people and the under staffed hospitals do not get the attention they need), and every branch of government just wants to keep raising taxes that the middle class (what is left) cannot afford.
I do not like Hillary and she would be more of the same (raising taxes), and Barack, Durbin, Blago, and Stroger have not done a thing, so who is left?
Gee...maybe if you STOPPED VOTING FOR THEM, THEY WOULDN'T GET ELECTED!

(You complain that blObama is a product of all of this Dumocratic Illinois corruption...yet you support him. It stops hurting when you lay the hammer down.)

Turn to the dark side...vote for a Republican.
Barack Obama

Evanston, IL

#19 Jan 9, 2008
Once again John nailed it right on the head. Once I take office I will change the politics in Illinois by making it more corrupt. So if you don't want that then vote for John McCain!
Robin

Chicago, IL

#20 Jan 9, 2008
Good for you Kass- now pas the towel over to the other pundits so they may wipe egg off thier media own news division faces.
Change

Chicago, IL

#21 Jan 9, 2008
We can't have a president who crys and we can't have a president who is a product of Illinois politics.

The last thing I want is another Texas replublican in office but Ron Paul makes many good points. He sticks to his policies. If you really want change.....vote Paul.
Pragmatist

Alsip, IL

#22 Jan 9, 2008
You're going to re-hash that Rezko story until the day you die, aren't you?

I'm not saying Obama's squeaky clean (show me any politician who is), but that's small potatoes next to Hillary's Whitewater, Cheney's Halliburton, George Ryan's whole administration-for-profit...

There may be some legitimate reasons why you believe Obama is not the best choice for President. Fine. Let's hear them. But I guess it's easier to just point at him and yell "Rezko!" than it is to craft an actual coherent argument.
CCC

Chicago, IL

#23 Jan 9, 2008
Wondering wrote:
Can someone please me tell what Obama has done for IL (as Senator) other than write books about himself, travel to Africa and all over the US and other parts of the world? He has absolutely no experience at anything other than being a world traveler. He has spent more time o the road than doing anything at all for IL. All he has been doing for the past 2 yrs is "run for President". Obama needs to thank Alan Keys and the Republicans for getting him to be where he is today.
So how can we say he lacks the ability to do well on foreign policy matters?
Chicago Expatriate

Columbia, SC

#24 Jan 9, 2008
andy wrote:
Kass, try writing with the sharp end of the pencil. You are no Royko.
A very cheap shot. Nobody is a Royko, not me, not you or anybody else. Kass is a talented person in a profession that gets dumber and trashier every day.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 10
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barack Obama Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min JRB 1,549,542
News Democrats aim to blast Trump for favoring wealthy 8 min CodeTalker 3
News Anti-racist author Tim Wise: White America desp... 10 min Ronold From Ponoma 59
News James Comey fired as FBI director 12 min bad bob 3,947
News Trump pushes 'energy week' and goal of exportin... 49 min Frogface Kate 5
News Obama's secret struggle to punish Russia for Pu... 52 min Denizen_Kate 83
News How Trump is highlighting divisions among South... 58 min Chilli J 136
More from around the web