Navajo will benefit from $3.4 billion...

Navajo will benefit from $3.4 billion settlement

There are 141 comments on the Farmington Daily Times story from Feb 9, 2011, titled Navajo will benefit from $3.4 billion settlement. In it, Farmington Daily Times reports that:

Elouise Cobell, of Valier, Mont., told herself 15 years ago that all she needed was to meet the president.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Farmington Daily Times.

First Prev
of 8
Next Last
Oh good grief

Rio Rancho, NM

#1 Feb 10, 2011
Someone should ask Cobell how much SHE made off of the settlement. It will be more than 800 I'll bet?
Native2

Tuba City, AZ

#2 Feb 10, 2011
Cobell did the work and she discovered there was mismanagement by the government, so why do you care how much she made. If she didn't do anything, nothing would've been done about it! Actually, it's the lawyers who made lots of money on this settlement.
ALWAYSRIGHT

United States

#3 Feb 10, 2011
Gee indians getting free money from hard working americans what's new. Gee the daily times writing a story about indians instead of americans, whats new....

Since: Dec 09

Location hidden

#4 Feb 10, 2011
ALWAYSRIGHT wrote:
Gee indians getting free money from hard working americans what's new. Gee the daily times writing a story about indians instead of americans, whats new....
Indians are not Americans?
Slowman

Saint Michaels, AZ

#5 Feb 10, 2011
ALWAYSRIGHT wrote:
The Indians have owned and preserved natural resource deposits in the United States for centuries until the greedy white people invaded the territories, stole the natural resources and claimed it to theirs. Today only a fraction of Indian landowners are being compensated by the government. Even at that, the government renigned on their responsibility to the Indians and mismanaged Indian royalty money for decades. THIS is what it is all about, Senior. Read the historical documents and even court documents to set yourself straight.
KMA

Tuscumbia, AL

#6 Feb 10, 2011
It's people like Cobell that have ruined this country
My thoughts

Denver, CO

#7 Feb 10, 2011
The money actually is coming from Corporations that extracted resources from the land owned by American Indians. The money is accounted for by the government. In the Cobell case, the money was mismanaged by the government. So, it only make sense to hold the organization who managed the money accountable for their mismanagement. This happens every day across the country.
First American

Florence, AL

#8 Feb 10, 2011
ALWAYSRIGHT wrote:
Its First Americans and will always be. I've worked hard for my money for 30 years. I see mostly non-natives at grocery stores buying with EBT (which comes out of my $$). Its nothing new. Government took lands and they promised we would be taken care instead stole... what's new.
Annoyed

Santa Fe, NM

#9 Feb 10, 2011
Slowman; its reneged, not renigned.

As far as i can determine; the Dine' were only appropriated about $90,000-$100,000 plus $250 per head of household over a TEN YEAR PERIOD after the treaty was signed. This was signed by representatives of the Dine' and should be enforced TO THE LETTER which means that NO MORE FEDERAL FUNDING should be dumped into the black hole of the rez. The best thing that could happen to the Dine' is TERMINATION OF THE REZ, but this will never happen; some whitey might decide to buy rez land and that cannot be permitted. Cant have those whiteys move in, they might marry our daughters! Let the Navajo Nation be sovereign and PAY ITS OWN BILLS. Then the job of Council Delegate wont be lucrative enough to have every criminal on thre rez trying to get elected. No more federal teat to suck on!

And for "Good Grief";It figures that the Dine' are after a piece of this pie; being the most populous and also one of the few that retain their original land, they want more. Ever seen the housing conditions on a northern reservation? It makes the typical Dine'Dump look like a Beverly Hills mansion. So dont start whining about other tribes getting more than $800. The only reason any Dine' gets anything is the tribe jumped on the lawsuit cruise ship to make lawyers rich when they heard there was money involved. The average Window Rock Snake would sell his grandmothers turquoise for money, and he wouldnt even wait for her to die.

This just shows you that the white man won in the end; the Dine' are totally assimilated.
jonny

Chinle, AZ

#10 Feb 10, 2011
KMA wrote:
It's people like Cobell that have ruined this country
And KMA make it despicable...aka KKK may be?
Conquered

United States

#11 Feb 10, 2011
Slowman wrote:
<quoted text>
The Indians have owned and preserved natural resource deposits in the United States for centuries until the greedy white people invaded the territories, stole the natural resources and claimed it to theirs. Today only a fraction of Indian landowners are being compensated by the government. Even at that, the government renigned on their responsibility to the Indians and mismanaged Indian royalty money for decades. THIS is what it is all about, Senior. Read the historical documents and even court documents to set yourself straight.
Welcome to human history. The far advanced Eurpoeans came to the Americas and settled. The Europeans were motivated and technically more advanced than the east asia population that had settled the Americas earlier.

This has repeated millions of times throughout human history. One group of people expand their kingdoms, empires which means to take over another's "land".

Were is my free money? I'm a anglo American whose Germanian ancestors were conquered by the Romans.
Same old

United States

#12 Feb 10, 2011
This is not a Navajo problem!

It's a human problem.

Any time a society of people is subsidised, given a reason not to excel then this group of people will not prosper.

Why would I go to school, get a job, when I know I will be given money for free to survive?

The Navajos need to refuse the money from this lawsuit. They need to refuse all hand outs from the government and caritable organization. Then they will be able to grow and proper.
Shut u money

United States

#13 Feb 10, 2011
Take it and shut up already!
Getting Ripped Off Still

San Ysidro, NM

#14 Feb 10, 2011
OMG people don't see that they are getting ripped off bad. Economy is bad so everyone just seeing $ signs and taking settlement. And after receiving the $800 or so amount it will not be the same amount after that, it will lower. Lawyers, Cobell making due with the bigger chunk of the settlement. It's so sad that they went from $45 billion to 3.4 billion....should have taken settlement 2 years ago when it was 9 billion. They talk $ but yesterday no snacks or food for the people who attended the 4 hour meeting, yet Cobell and crew probably ate with setttlement $.
Like Erin Brokovich

Farmington, NM

#15 Feb 10, 2011
She sounds like an "Erin Brokovich" type person. She saw an injustice and got the ball rolling. Congratulations.
Red Man

Chandler, AZ

#16 Feb 10, 2011
I feel sorry if for all the immigrants to our land. Native Land. All I can say is make the best of it while you are here. Jump up and down and scream injustice while you are here. Use drugs and alcohol while you are here and enjoy/suffer the end results. Destroy the land and call it development. Make/break laws. Make/work/use money and call it feeding/enhancing the economy thus making the democrats/republicans prosper in their endeaver and call it leading the people. In the end, your spirits are all headed back to england, the holy land, and where ever your ancestors originated and call it heaven. A place with streets paved of gold. While we natives are headed for our happy hunting grounds.

If you don't have an IIM account don't bother with this story because you don't know the half (or all) of it.
Funny

United States

#17 Feb 10, 2011
They talk $ but yesterday no snacks or food for the people who attended the 4 hour meeting, yet Cobell and crew probably ate with setttlement $.[Are you kidding me? Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.
Why didn't I get another hand out?
The Navajos always go against their own as well.
Every year their suing and investigating their officials.
It's just plain comical now.
Simple Solution

Mesa, AZ

#18 Feb 10, 2011
Conquered wrote:
<quoted text>
Welcome to human history. The far advanced Eurpoeans came to the Americas and settled. The Europeans were motivated and technically more advanced than the east asia population that had settled the Americas earlier.
This has repeated millions of times throughout human history. One group of people expand their kingdoms, empires which means to take over another's "land".
Were is my free money? I'm a anglo American whose Germanian ancestors were conquered by the Romans.
Get off your behind and go back to Germany and fight for your free money!
2cents

Farmington, NM

#19 Feb 10, 2011
ALWAYSRIGHT wrote:
Actually the money belonged to them in the 1st place so what the hell are you talking about. Your an alien from another country. Native Americans are the true American and your not!!!!!!!!!!
Jasper

Farmington, NM

#20 Feb 10, 2011
Same old wrote:
The Navajos need to refuse the money from this lawsuit. They need to refuse all hand outs from the government and caritable organization. Then they will be able to grow and proper.
OMG!!lolololhahahahaheheheheho hohoho!! I have never laughed so hard. ARE YOU KIDDING ME? The Navajo refuse a hand out?  hahahahahaha. Seriously? This has to be sarcasm right? They will NEVER prosper. The N N  will always be a "sovereign" nation dependent on the Federal government. The Navajo people will be lining up by the thousands with their hands out for this money even if they don't hold Individual Indian Money accounts or have no ownership interest in land.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barack Obama Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Democrats aim to blast Trump for favoring wealthy 2 min Retribution 1,131
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min Coffee Party 1,565,475
News How should an angry liberal celebrate the Fourt... 2 min spocko 554
News Can Trump pardon anyone? Himself? Can he fire M... 4 min Palin s Turkey Th... 52
News James Comey fired as FBI director 5 min tattle taler 4,150
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 6 min Coffee Party 242,267
News Trump pledges to act on North Korean threat 26 min FormerParatrooper 172
More from around the web