Even Buddy Guy sings the blues when i...

Even Buddy Guy sings the blues when it comes to radio play

There are 8 comments on the Marin Independent Journal story from Nov 5, 2009, titled Even Buddy Guy sings the blues when it comes to radio play. In it, Marin Independent Journal reports that:

Legendary status has its perks. Like performing at the Rock Hall of Fame's 25th Anniversary concert at Madison Square Garden in New York City.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Marin Independent Journal.

10yr old played with Guy

Kelseyville, CA

#1 Nov 14, 2009
My husband bought the family tickets to last night's show -- he has been a fan for years. It was an awesome night. Buddy was fantastic. When Buddy came into the audience at one point, he sang to my youngest son and my son told him that he plays the guitar. Later in the show, he called my son onstage, gave him his guitar, and let him play for the crowd for over 5 minutes. Most people thought this was choreographed, but we had no idea it was going to happen. My son received a standing ovation. We are hoping that someone got some good photos or video of the moment. My son would love anything. He didn't even keep Buddy's pick - he handed it back to him! If anyone who reads this has this moment recorded and can send photos/video, please contact me at jgill@lake.k12.ca.us. Thank you.

“Nuttin' But The Blues”

Since: Feb 09

Location hidden

#2 Nov 14, 2009
Isn't it wonderful how Buddy Guy encourages a whole new generation of blues fans and musicians! I have seen him do that several times, once he even admonished a Father for not bringing the boy to see him sooner! Gotta love Buddy!
BUDDY BOY

Novato, CA

#3 Nov 15, 2009
Never really been turned on to Buddy Guy. Yet. I'm more of a classic rock kind of guy. But if Eric Clapton calls him the greatest living guitarist, that's enough for me. Because Eric Clapton is THE MAN. Well, it's off to iTUNES...

“Nuttin' But The Blues”

Location hidden

#4 Nov 15, 2009
Buddy Boy, as a classic rocker who obviously has good taste in guitarists, you might enjoy this. Where did Cream, Jeff Beck, Eric Clapton, Rolling Stones and many others got their influences from? The old cliche is... The Blues had a baby, and they named it Rock and Roll. Check out B.B. King, Buddy Guy, Eric Clapton and Jimmy Vaughn on You Tube. Enjoy!

travis

Lehigh Acres, FL

#5 Nov 15, 2009
I liked him with Junior Wells in the 60s. He's still good, but too much blues today sounds disposable as in all the guys playing the same licks with the same sound. Too many guys play strats which is why Vince Gill's sound was so refreshing on the Clapton Crossroads Blues Festival show a few years back.

“Nuttin' But The Blues”

Location hidden

#6 Nov 15, 2009
Interesting point, Travis. What is your opinion of Kenny Wayne Shepherd or Fiona Boyes?
travis

Lehigh Acres, FL

#7 Nov 15, 2009
12 Bars of Fate wrote:
Interesting point, Travis. What is your opinion of Kenny Wayne Shepherd or Fiona Boyes?
I don't know Fiona Boyes. KWS is a good player, has command of his instrument, etc. It's just hard for me to get excited about that style when you can walk into any bar that has live music and chances are you will hear somebody equally good. There's a certain magic about the old blues players that's tough for the young guys to cop, maybe a question of mileage, but more likely the experience of growing up black in the Jim Crow south. The same holds true for the newer country players btw, but I think many of them like Johnny Hiland, Redd Volkaert and even stars like Brad Paisley have a much fresher style and sound.

BTW one of the most interesting blues solos I ever heard was on a Wes Montgomery rehearsal session in 1965 in Hamburg Germany. I heard it on youtube the other day. Don't have the link, but search for Blue Monk by Wes Montgomery and click on the 1965 Hamburg session. The piano solo was about as original and out there as I ever heard on a blues tune.
Bobby D

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#8 Aug 27, 2011
yeah, here's how Buddy "encourages" younger players -- by GIVING them the blues...

Buddy cheated me out of my 1958 Fender Stratocaster:

facebook.com/dotherightthingbuddy

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

B.B. King Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Public viewing for B.B. King set for Friday May 24 Local 2
News WOT: Housing the Homeless, Zenger Art Show Satu... May 17 todom 1
News Tributes flood in for BB King May 15 BJ Fan 2
I am looking for a cool llive version of guess who (Oct '09) May 15 zzkpt 3
B.B. King family loses in effort to take contro... May 13 gator 1
B.B. KING: Hospice Care May 6 55-89-95rdodson 1
News Guitar master Joe Bonamassa to play UPAC in Kin... (May '14) May '14 FatDed Tom Lindse... 9
More from around the web