Advertising Age Magazine Has Selected...

Advertising Age Magazine Has Selected Auto-Tune as One of America's Hottest Brands of 2009

There are 1 comment on the Hip Hop Press story from Nov 22, 2009, titled Advertising Age Magazine Has Selected Auto-Tune as One of America's Hottest Brands of 2009. In it, Hip Hop Press reports that:

Antares Audio Technologies is proud to announce that Advertising Age Magazine, the leading trade publication of the worldwide advertising and marketing industries, has selected Auto-Tune as one of "America's Hottest Brands" of 2009.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hip Hop Press.

JackBurns45

Rousseau, KY

#1 Dec 5, 2009
Oh I am sure that Antares would love to promote some magazine that plugs their product.

But "revolutionary" isn't the word I would use for AutoTune. Call it the gun that kills the age of good music. It does the singing for you. It makes you lazy and talentless. It breeds pretenders in the industry. Nothing is real with the likes of AutoTune.

I can easily remember a time when all you had was raw talent. Whether you trained or not, by today's standards it was raw talent. If you didn't have "it" then you were shit outta luck. But that's what kept the unique, great talent coming through the speakers of our radios. The rest was rejected to prevent the industry from being overran with copycat artists. They existed years ago, but were a minority.

Today, those previsouly rejected are the majority in the industry. We have so many talentless souls pretending to be something they are not. And AutoTune has single-handedly gotten them there. Now, in the studio, instead of doing a number of takes to "get it right", with some clever editing and punching, you just do a couple of takes and let AutoTune put you on key, or even in some "far out" kind of place, depending on controls.

But what you ALWAYS end up with is a completely artificial version of yourself. Don't let an engineer tell you that if you use it subtly that it ONLY corrects the pitch without destroying the unique qualities of that individual. It's a flat out lie or misconception. AutoTune is a filter, a firewall, a converter, or whatever else fits the shoe. It literally changes 100% of your voice no matter what. Whatever goes in comes out as something else.

"OH BUT IT SOUNDS GOOOOD!"

You know, that's the problem with today's mentality. Everyone is becoming lazy and consolidated. They think its a good thing to sit on your ass and let the computer do the work. No doubt I use it exclusively for tracking and editing. But I do ALL the work in an old traditional fashion to get a result comparable to yesterday's standards, but with the pristene quality of today's technology.

Today's industry has a standard that resorts to profit from start to finish. Do a couple of takes, compress the hell out of it, do some polishing, print it, and send it out to the shelves. Pure assembly line, cookie cutter product.

Why do you think that so many people all across the internet looove 70s and 80s music? There are so many of today's kids that are jealous because we lived in the 80s and they didn't. I can see why. Some people try to say that innovation of great music is dead. But I differ. Innovation was always alive because of preserving a person's "built in" uniqueness. They made sure it came out on the tape. Even if it took 100 takes.

Bring that back and you'll hear great music once again. Its that simple. But you have to de-corporatize the industry and put musicians in creative control again. Because suit-and-ties don't love music, they love money. Musicians love music and should be the ones making it, start to finish.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Audio Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Ludacris f. Lil Wayne & Trey Songz - "Sex Faces" (Jun '11) Oct '13 TheAfroHedgehog 2
News Hip-Hop DJ Mister Cee Resigns Amid Gay Prostitu... (Sep '13) Sep '13 Sterkfontein Swar... 1
News [Singles] Novel f. Erick Sermon - "Sexy Muthaf*... (Mar '12) Mar '12 Kaunda 1
does anybody on topix know anything about music? (Oct '11) Oct '11 jack mehoff 1
News Continue reading "Big Audio Dynamite played Ros... (May '11) May '11 rao 1
News Pryme f. Waka Flocka - Body Like That (May '11) May '11 nakrul 1
News Gucci Mane f. Mannie Fresh - "Contagious" (Mar '11) Mar '11 ngnng 1
More from around the web