EUR BOOK LOOK: 'Why Obama Can't Win' by Shelby Steele

Feb 14, 2008 Full story: www.eurweb.com 11
"Louis Armstrong adapted a mask that came out of the black minstrel tradition… It communicated to white audiences that Louis Armstrong would entertain them but not presume to be their equal. The relentlessly beaming smile, the handkerchief dabbing away the sweat, the reflexive bowing, the exaggerated humility and graciousness- all this signaled that he would not breach the manners of segregation, the propriety that required him to be both cheerful and less than fully human ... What is exceptional about Barack Obama is the same thing that was exceptional about Louis Armstrong. Full Story
Conscience

Athens, GA

#1 Feb 14, 2008
I am so sick of the hidden racism in America.
African Americans were smart enough to build this country brick by brick, and plant and sow crops to feed you ungrateful white folks...yet you can't look beyond our skin color.

In other words you can accept a White idiot (George Bush) but you can't accept an African American with an IQ higher than your and mine put together.

I have not chosen a candidate but I am intelligent and educated and happen to be African American, I watch CNN, CSPAN and all your news coverage of this campaign...it is obvious that you want a White president..... And the DNC careful in how they handle this super delegate thing, because we can chose not to participate in your political process at all.

And another thing I am sick of Hearing Hillary ready on day 1.....every one knows there is a transition period....to select cabinet members and formulate a plan....you cannot walk in the oval office on day 1 and change the course of this nation. So who is lying to whom??????

You see, we are use to being treated like secon class Americans....but you whit America cannot stand to lose your homes, your cars, and your lifestyle.....we will be standing on the ground when you jump from the tallest building.
HERO1976

New York, NY

#2 Feb 14, 2008
preach Conscience PREACH...very well said!
Sinajuavi

Charlottesville, VA

#3 Feb 14, 2008
Who is this "you" whom you address? Do you actually believe there is a monolithic "white" America out there?

Take a good look at the diversity in philosophy and thought among "whites". Lose your racism and try to see people as they are, not according to some ignorant insulting stereotype you hide behind.

“Slap The Taste Out Yo' Mouf”

Since: Sep 07

H-Town

#4 Feb 14, 2008
I can remember hearing Jerry Lewis say in a documentary that when he was first starting out in comedy he'd go to black clubs and listen to the comedians, he would then go uptown to whites only clubs and do the act he heard the night before at the black club. I heard someone on the radio mention that Babe Ruth's record should be questioned because he did not compete against black players. I guess what I'm getting at is this, Babe Ruth like Jerry Lewis knew there were blacks that were better than him. Even with this knowledge both of them enjoyed a great deal of success and popularity. There is a downside to this however, men like Babe Ruth and Jerry Lewis represent the best white america has to offer but they are not the best. They are simply the best of those that our society ALLOWED to succeed. Instead of getting the best comedian society settled for the best "white" comedian. Instead of having the best baseball player, society settled for the best "white" baseball player.

We are now coming full circle and Barack Obama doesn't represent the best "white" or "black" he simply represents the best candidate and some people aren't ready for that. Some aren't ready to finally feel what it's like to have the best break past the barrier of an unbalanced preferential allotment of freedom. That's got a lot of people worried and they're not all white. One look at Mr. Shelby Steele and you immediately know why he's afraid of Obama becoming president. See while he was dogging Satchmo, he seemed to have forgotten about the third category of blacks who don't want to see blacks succeed because they also have a knowledge that the success and privilege they've enjoyed has largely been because they were "white enough" to pass. If we suddenly destroy that whites only barrier he loses his meal ticket. People will start paying more attention to his actual ability and less to his "whiteness". Imagine how Jerry Lewis would have felt if one day after sitting in that club and stealing that material, they announced that they were featuring a new comedian...the one he was stealing from? Where is he going to steal from now. What would Babe Ruth have done if he had to play alongside all those black players the next day? That's what it's like right now for a lot of people. A torrential wave of fear sweeping over the nation. If they're saying these kinds of things now, you can imaging what they'll say once he's in office.

H-Town

#5 Feb 14, 2008
Sinajuavi wrote:
Who is this "you" whom you address? Do you actually believe there is a monolithic "white" America out there?
Take a good look at the diversity in philosophy and thought among "whites". Lose your racism and try to see people as they are, not according to some ignorant insulting stereotype you hide behind.
Looks like you answered your own question.

“"Same as it ever was..."”

Since: Jan 07

Hamilton, OH

#7 Feb 16, 2008
I think we should mark Shelby Steel down as another once bright black intellectual who has lost his marbles.

Comparing Obama to Louis Armstrong is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard of. Worse still, calling Louis Armstrong a minstrel is disgraceful and as wrong-headed as it gets.

Performers smile a lot, bow a lot, and display an extravagant stage persona ordinary people don't. This is not minstrely.

Armstrong was a consumate performer whose career spanned 60 years and never, to my knowledge, has anyone leveled the charge of minstrely against him... until now, 30 years after his death when he's not around to defend himself, by a pampered intellectual with no known background in show business.

And if that isn't enough, Steel next tells us Obama is a minstrel too.

Again, unless what he's saying is being said to sell books, Steel is yet another black academic who has lost his marbles.

ricland

PUAL

London, UK

#8 Feb 16, 2008
black americans r still and act like slaves. if they were so united why can't theu do something marvellous for the black race by finding the cure for Aids and build a black city in the states.

H-Town

#9 Feb 17, 2008
PUAL wrote:
black americans r still and act like slaves. if they were so united why can't theu do something marvellous for the black race by finding the cure for Aids and build a black city in the states.
How's about we enroll in "The Basics of English 101 -See Spot Run" before we move on to "I Hate Black People 202 - Exploring the English Language Through Hate Speech"???
Carlos Navarro

Cornelius, NC

#10 Mar 20, 2008
In his book on Obama, Shelby Steele claims that Obama cannot win the election because, as an African American, he is compelled to "wear a mask."

In his frequent public appearances, does Steele give credit to Paul Lawrence Dumbar for introducing the mask idea in his poem "We Wear the Mask," (1896) and to W.E.B. Dubois for expanding on it in his book "The Soul of Black Folks" (1903)

Or does he pass the idea off as his own?
XxX

AOL

#11 Mar 20, 2008
PUAL wrote:
There are many black cities in the states. Cesspools of violence. Truly pathetic places!
Rick - Toronto

Canada

#12 Mar 24, 2008
PUAL wrote:
Dear PUAL

I am East Indian and I see the need for you to pick up a History Book in the hope (that may be being to audacious) of increasing your very limited knowledge. Specifically African history, where the black people built cities and were Kings and Queens while the Europeans were still in the 'dark' ages. A lot of races and cultures did not get to evolute at their own pace due to the involvement of the Europeans. Check the great civilization of the Aztecs, Maya's of south/central America. To the Europeans they were pagans/un-civilized. They same can be said of the Africans and many of my descendants in India.

"Emancipate yourself from mental slavery" B. Marley

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Armstrong Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Green Day to get back on road in March (Jan '13) Oct '13 Speaks the truth 2
Green Day nude (Oct '11) Oct '11 Jeffery 1
Concert Review | Jazz Arts Group: Stripling rem... (Feb '10) Feb '10 Bill Brownfield 1
20 you should know: Jazz | The Columbus Dispatch (Jan '10) Jan '10 Where is all that... 3
VIP Louis Armstrong (Apr '09) Apr '09 mostly numb but good 1
Louis Armstrong's collage(s) of musical knowledge (Sep '08) Feb '09 Dan 2
The People's Business, By The Mississippi (Jul '08) Jul '08 Reference Link 2
More from around the web