Reader FAQ: Magical Names

Reader FAQ: Magical Names

There are 43 comments on the About.com story from Aug 13, 2008, titled Reader FAQ: Magical Names. In it, About.com reports that:

Blog reader April writes, "My girlfriend has found her Wiccan name but I dont know how to find mine and I'm new to Wicca.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at About.com.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Since: Aug 08

Oneonta, AL

#1 Aug 13, 2008
Here's what I know about magical names. When you need one it will come to you. Don't rush it. Let the Goddess do it for you.

“living is learning”

Since: Sep 07

Nanaimo BC

#2 Aug 13, 2008
Never really heard of this, but then I'm not Wiccan either. Why do you NEED a magical name? I don't feel that I really need any name, except for general public to address me by.
Temy

United States

#3 Aug 14, 2008
bondgrrl27 wrote:
Never really heard of this, but then I'm not Wiccan either. Why do you NEED a magical name? I don't feel that I really need any name, except for general public to address me by.
A person doesn't necessarily NEED a magical name, but I can tell you some reasons to want one.

Some people want a name that sums up who they are as a person, or what their skills are. Some people want a name that indicates what they want to become, or what parts of their personality they want to strengthen. Some people want a name that resonates with their particular religion or tradition to strengthen their bond with their dieties. There are more reasons, but you get the idea.

My magical name incorporates elements that mean "sober white witch." The white witch part is because I use white magic, and the sober part is because alcoholism runs very deeply in my family and it is a constant reminder to be vigilant against it.

Hope that helps!
-Temy.
Ravineyes

Buffalo, NY

#4 Aug 14, 2008
Very nice Temy, a constant reminder of the weakness that can overtake us all is a great thing. Some choose magickal names to altar their sense of self, seperating their "human mundane lives" with that of the magickal realms. Almost having a split personality!:-) That is why those who walk the different realms go by many names.
albion

London, UK

#5 Aug 14, 2008
I was brought up in a religious household and spent most of my life studying different faiths, all of that was a search, and it took me 50yrs to become what i am today a solitary but known in local wiccan circles. I knew from childhood that there was something else calling me but dismissed witchcraft because of all the preconceived miss-information that had been drilled into me, infact the first time i opened a book on the subject i was nervous and fearful. I now know what good, gentle, caring and loyal people witches are, no matter which part of our broad path they tread. So a name is important because in many cases (atleast the ones i have spoken to) witches have gone through similar experiences to me and come to recognise themselves as a new person who thinks and acts differently than before they embraced the truth.
Merry Meet.

Since: Apr 08

Niagara Falls, Canada

#6 Aug 14, 2008
Witches and other Pagans are not the only ones who take on new names as part of their spiritual path. Roman Catholics who join holy orders (nuns and monks or priests) routinely choose new names. There are others who do so as well -- that's just one easy example.
albion

London, UK

#7 Aug 14, 2008
Gay And Proud wrote:
Witches and other Pagans are not the only ones who take on new names as part of their spiritual path. Roman Catholics who join holy orders (nuns and monks or priests) routinely choose new names. There are others who do so as well -- that's just one easy example.
True, but do they choose their name or is it chosen for them?
Eartha

Pratt, KS

#8 Aug 14, 2008
I recommed choosing a magikal name that numerologicaly matches you Natal Day.
Eartha is not my magikal name I use in circle, it is my public witch name.
No one take your Natal Day away from you, but many other things in the mundane plane is taken from you, hence,
choosing a name that adds up to this special date is most right and special.
IMHO

Niagara Falls, Canada

#9 Aug 14, 2008
albion wrote:
<quoted text>True, but do they choose their name or is it chosen for them?
I believe it depends on the specific group -- not all groups of nuns operate the same way. Some do choose their own names, while in others I understand their names are chosen for them.

Just like in Pagan groups...
Majestic

Jackson, MI

#10 Aug 14, 2008
Merry meet...

The comment refering to names haveing a significant meaning to that person is spot-on. There is also the concept of taking a name of your choosing as a kind of beginning. It is not unusual in coven practice to take a name at the time of initiation. This is a "secret" name used only within the coven. It not only marks the passing of an initiate into the coven, but a spiritual "rebirth" for that individual. It also gives a sense of belonging and community within the coven.

Perhaps this bears some significance to a solitary wiccan as well. Perhaps not. If She speaks to you as "(insert real name here)" then that's fine, and if she speaks to you as "(insert wiccan name here)" that's fine too.

The bottom line is this: if you take a wiccan name, Great! If you do not take a wiccan name, Great! You have harmed none, and in perfect love and perfect truct you are still held.

Blessed be.
BONDO

El Paso, TX

#11 Aug 16, 2008
Gay And Proud wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe it depends on the specific group -- not all groups of nuns operate the same way. Some do choose their own names, while in others I understand their names are chosen for them.
I CAN'T IN MY WILDEST DREAMS IMAGINE BEING PROUD OF THAT !
Gay Bruce

AOL

#12 Aug 16, 2008
BONDO wrote:
<quoted text>
I CAN'T IN MY WILDEST DREAMS IMAGINE BEING PROUD OF THAT !
No, that's because you're a manly man's man. The kind of guy who's proud of how much beer he can drink, how big of a fart he can cut, and how big his penis is, even if it's really little. How big is it by the way? Do you have any pictures of it? Just curious.
DarkZoneWitch

Great Bend, KS

#13 Oct 10, 2008
Eartha wrote:
I recommed choosing a magikal name that numerologicaly matches you Natal Day.
Eartha is not my magikal name I use in circle, it is my public witch name.
No one take your Natal Day away from you, but many other things in the mundane plane is taken from you, hence,
choosing a name that adds up to this special date is most right and special.
IMHO
Hey I just wanted to say hi! I am from Kansas too, Salina. As for names I have had one for 15 years,but I would really like to change it as I have had a new path in my life. I am having a hard time finding the right one. I am sure one day it will come to me.
Heather

UK

#14 Oct 10, 2008
Gay And Proud wrote:
<quoted text>

A friend of mine had their name chosen for him by his parents who were part of the circle during a coming of age ceremony.:)
Heather

UK

#15 Oct 10, 2008
Like people say, this is entirely up to you, but there is a good site
here which tells you about an animal's significence in different
cultures, perhaps an animal name might suit you if it has the qualities
you either need to gain or desire to have. Emma Redstall Orr of the
Druid Network has the name Bobcat.
http://www.lilytherese.com/POWER1.HTM
It can also be your power animal!

“GO TOPLESS!!”

Newtown, CT

#16 Oct 10, 2008
I tried choosing a Wiccan name for myself when I first started down the path. I used numerology and my birth date.

But, after trying too hard and not coming up with anything, I decided to just wait. If I'm meant to choose my own name, it will happen. But, for now, Shelley is fine with me.

I knew a woman once who simply went by "Forest". No last name. I think it's kinda cool to have the one-name thing going, but it's not for me.

“Just Li'l ol' me....LiLi”

Since: Jun 07

Like many others

#17 Oct 10, 2008
In my tradition we rarely choose a "magical name"; though we do believe there is power in a name and knowing a name. That belief is why, many times, a person who follows my path will only give a part of their name rather than giving their full name and we keep many "protections" in place in regards to our names. We are certainly free to choose and use a magical name if we wish; we just don't find it to be necessary.

“WOOH!!”

Since: May 08

Vallejo, CA

#18 Oct 10, 2008
For some, having a Craft Name helps provide some privacy. This is crucial for those living in areas where it's not safe to be out of the Broom Closet.

But for those who just have to have the latest Nifty Craft Name, allow me to assist....

http://www.widdershins.org/vol3iss4/m9710.htm

http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Arc/8776/nameg...

“Please don't feed the trolls.”

Location hidden

#19 Oct 14, 2008
I have been searching (I could also say waiting) for my name, but it simply hasn't come to me. My birth number is two (2), and I have paid close attention for years now for something appropriate...either a gift or invention, but so far, nothing. Names once given me, that keep turning up no matter where I am over the years, would be inappropriate or simply thought to be egotistic, even though they were given to me and not made up by me. Suggestions?

And NiftyWitch, thanks for the links!

“Please don't feed the trolls.”

Location hidden

#20 Oct 14, 2008
OK...sorry...I am still laughing...8^)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

April Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Amy Nachbar's Boston weekend music picks April ... (Apr '15) Apr '15 Spanarkle 1
News Andrew WK, Black Lips, Fucked Up, Alvvays + mor... (Mar '15) Mar '15 Batch 37 Pain Is ... 2
News Why I admire Marie Osmond (Apr '13) Dec '14 sarahk 8
News Lady Gaga to perform in Israel for the 2nd time... (Dec '13) Dec '13 Big mike 2
News LI's new fab four (Apr '08) Sep '13 TheAfroHedgehog 16
News LI's new fab four (Oct '08) Aug '13 RiotAct666 2
News What's on (Apr '12) May '12 BJ Fan2 2
More from around the web