`Very bad' news on opium war

`Very bad' news on opium war

There are 6 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Sep 3, 2006, titled `Very bad' news on opium war. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

Poppy cultivation in Afghanistan increased 59 percent this year, producing a record-breaking 6,100 metric tons of opium, in part because of efforts by the Taliban and other insurgents in the troubled south, ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

Katrina II

United States

#1 Sep 3, 2006
This is due to Bush's war, which he started all by himself with all of his lies. I don't see how any American can afford to have this kluz in a public office. When all of this opium floods the market like a Katrina we will just have more expensive problems to clean up--all of this created by Bush. We can call this Katrina II and, yes indeed, it's just another Bush screw up. And the problem doesn't end there. Think about all of our new immigrants. What kind of impression is this going to make on them? They have enough problems adapting to our society without all of drug problems Bush has created. If Bush keeps this up we won't get enough immigrants into this country.
And we need them to clean up Katrina I, Katrina II, and the mess in Iraq. Tomorrow's engineers will come from immigration. When Bush is done wreaking Iraq the whole country is going to have to be rebuilt. We need solid people not drug addicts.
jake

La Jolla, CA

#2 Sep 3, 2006
This is due the the opium war which they started and we will finish hah. Today coalition forces knocked or took out of action 280 opium farmers. The juggarnaut marches on.
speed_buggy

Arlington, TN

#3 Sep 3, 2006
jake wrote:
This is due the the opium war which they started and we will finish hah. Today coalition forces knocked or took out of action 280 opium farmers. The juggarnaut marches on.
Murdering innocent people. These farmers are no different than the drug farmers of South America.

They are controlled, them, their land, their families and they are forced to farm these things and have no choice.

It really takes a man, a hero and a patriot to gun down a farmer who he, his land and his family are prisoners of local drug lords.

Any coward can kill people like this. Let us see how macho they are by killing some drug lords and giving these farmers some hope and opportunity.

Did you ever detect that something has always been wrong when big time drug dealers operate with impunity and anti drug forces leave fields littered with the corpses of farmers? That is the established record.
jake

La Jolla, CA

#4 Sep 3, 2006
Unerstand, but the farmers I speak of were armed to the teeth and firing on the coalition forces. These armed ones do impose upon the the true farmers seeking to grow crops for a living. That is the crime. Taliban uses these opium proceeds to fund their effort while on the lamb. No new stuff here but just clarifying my position.
speed_buggy

Arlington, TN

#5 Sep 3, 2006
They don't need to grow this stuff for funding.

This is what is funding these people:

http://baltimorechronicle.com/2006/060806Lind...

"...more than $9 billion that has gone missing without a trace in Iraq--as well as $12 billion in cash that the Pentagon flew into Iraq straight from Federal Reserve vaults..."

There is only one place this could have went and that is straight into the hands of terrorist interests. No paper trail, no bank accounts, just pure untraceable cash flow.

Wiping out all the dope feilds in Afghanistan will have no effect on stopping terrorist interests but it will waste billions more in taxpayer money.
speed_buggy

Arlington, TN

#6 Sep 3, 2006
Though it is interesting that if this is new money or used money.

New can be traced to a locality by its previously unused serial number. If these serial numbers have not surfaced yet it is on ice somewhere.

If it was used money without the serial numbers being recorded before transfer then it is on the loose.

I would like to know if any of this money, if new, has surfaced.

Plenty of time has passed to gain some info from an investigation.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Antonio Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 6-year-old girl dies in ETX golf cart accident Jan '16 anonymou s 49
News U.S. agents round up Central Americans slated f... Jan '16 ronnie 4
News Antonio Elrod, 19, Arrested On Child Molestatio... (Jul '15) Nov '15 Brian 4
News Zero-tolerance policies may have been another f... (Sep '15) Sep '15 Beaks 2
News Well-Known San Antonio Drag Performer Murdered ... (Aug '15) Aug '15 Christaliban 2
News EXCLUSIVE: More ammo for Trump: How housing an ... (Jul '15) Jul '15 wild child 1
News San Antonio GOP to consider whether non-discrim... (Dec '14) Dec '14 NorCal Native 2
More from around the web