Air Force wants Quinn's - The Park Re...

Air Force wants Quinn's - The Park Record

There are 19 comments on the Park Record story from May 1, 2009, titled Air Force wants Quinn's - The Park Record. In it, Park Record reports that:

Local politicians met this week with Air Force officials in San Antonio to discuss the prospects of developing a disputed hotel to provide serviceman with lodging discounts in Park City.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Park Record.

Gene

North Olmsted, OH

#1 May 2, 2009
I live just off Kearns, east of Comstock and think it would be absurd to build such a big hotel at Quinn’s Jct. Hwy 248 is 2 lanes total and couldn’t handle the traffic. I will fight this and enlist the taxpaying voters of Prospector and Park Meadows to fight it as well.
Immigrants All

Kaysville, UT

#2 May 2, 2009
Did you read the last paragraph?
'A state law that takes effect this year would allow private landowners at Quinn's Junction to skirt tight local zoning ordinances by partnering with the Air Force to develop their property under the Military Installation Development Authority Act.'

thank god for that - hopefully it will prevent people like Gene from pulling the typical NIMBY BS.

Build it! We need the business.
Gene

North Olmsted, OH

#3 May 2, 2009
Immigrants All wrote:
Did you read the last paragraph?
'A state law that takes effect this year would allow private landowners at Quinn's Junction to skirt tight local zoning ordinances by partnering with the Air Force to develop their property under the Military Installation Development Authority Act.'
thank god for that - hopefully it will prevent people like Gene from pulling the typical NIMBY BS.
Build it! We need the business.
Not a big fan of democracy I see. Let the big corporations and developers have their way, skirt around the people because they have money to pay lobbyists to get laws passed that would benefit them.

I own my own small business and I am in favor of more business, not more congestion. My guys have a hard enough time getting in and out of Park City via 248 as it is and developing Quinns would make it more difficult for everyone. If there is to be a hotel and more, I say make them pay for 248 improvements. This was the same option that Wal-Mart was given at Kimball Jct.
Immigrants All

Kaysville, UT

#4 May 2, 2009
Gene wrote:
<quoted text>
Not a big fan of democracy I see. Let the big corporations and developers have their way, skirt around the people because they have money to pay lobbyists to get laws passed that would benefit them.
I own my own small business and I am in favor of more business, not more congestion. My guys have a hard enough time getting in and out of Park City via 248 as it is and developing Quinns would make it more difficult for everyone. If there is to be a hotel and more, I say make them pay for 248 improvements. This was the same option that Wal-Mart was given at Kimball Jct.
lafable that you would reference democracy with respect to Park City politics.
i am, however, with you on the 'make them improve 248' sentiment.
Suzie

AOL

#5 May 2, 2009
Sounds like more Government PORK spending to me. Why do we need a 600 room hotel when current hotel occupancy is down by 35%? Let the Air Force partner with CURRENT hotels at discounted rates for servicemen and their families.
Bob

Clearfield, UT

#6 May 3, 2009
The loosers here are the servicemen, women and their families. They get pushed into a 2nd rate location a wealthy landowner and developer can get the density and use they want. They are abusing the military for their personal gain and it is shameful.

Let's talk democracy when we're willing to reward those that provide it a quality place for R&R and not some inconvienent out-of-the-way property. Let's talk corruption when we reference out-of-district politicians that pass targeted enabling legislation in haste and with little announcement or input so the wealthy land-owner and developer can trump the local community. Now that was democracy in action.

Loved the NIMBY comment, Immigrants All. Speaking of NIMBY, the legislation that targeted us EXCLUDED these legislators home districts from similar treatment. You just need the business and in return you will let servicemen and women get short-changed. You don't deserve the business. Business is earned.
Immigrants All

Kaysville, UT

#7 May 3, 2009
Bob wrote:
The loosers here are the servicemen, women and their families. They get pushed into a 2nd rate location a wealthy landowner and developer can get the density and use they want. They are abusing the military for their personal gain and it is shameful.
Let's talk democracy when we're willing to reward those that provide it a quality place for R&R and not some inconvienent out-of-the-way property. Let's talk corruption when we reference out-of-district politicians that pass targeted enabling legislation in haste and with little announcement or input so the wealthy land-owner and developer can trump the local community. Now that was democracy in action.
Loved the NIMBY comment, Immigrants All. Speaking of NIMBY, the legislation that targeted us EXCLUDED these legislators home districts from similar treatment. You just need the business and in return you will let servicemen and women get short-changed. You don't deserve the business. Business is earned.
couldn't quite decipher what the last paragraph you wrote meant. Actually, the last 2 were difficult to understand.

Not sure which side of the argument you were taking. However, this issue goes all the way back to the Olympics when the AF gave up their little R&R area at Snow Basin to help with parking. Their first choice would be to build in the Canyons absurd parking lot. i am for them getting that location, but dont see it happening give political realities within the aptly named PC area.
Parkite Veteran

Salt Lake City, UT

#8 May 3, 2009
Right On Bob !

You da Man !

For all the suckers who think this will be retreat for servicemen and women, and who have not read the many summaries indicating that only a small portion will be reserved for the Air Force, Bob hits it on the head:
" The losers here are the servicemen, women and their families. They get pushed into a 2nd rate location "

Not quite like the old Snowbasin spot, or the Mains St Empire Hotel. To ignore the three great resorts in town is gross mismanagement, stupidity, coruption, fraud, waste, and abuse.

The Quinns location is a disservice to the service, whose zeros down in SA are probably tallying up their cut.
D Justin Cole

Park City, UT

#9 May 4, 2009
What better industry to embrace Park City than the Film Industry and Raleigh Studios. Wake Up People! Bob Redford had a vision and it's a Green One to boot!
Bob

Clearfield, UT

#10 May 4, 2009
Immigrants All -

The idea of accommodating Ralph Merrill who controls the property out there at the Quinn's Junction Partnership property is too confusing. I think we all agree this is not a site suitable to the Service.

But this is too bizarre. Merrill knows the military well, and I know they know him. He is under a federal grand jury indictment for supplying tainted munitions to the Army. Not a little bit, but a 300M contract!

This went public according to the New York Times when a whistle-blower who was changing the munitions packaging came forward after the local munitions facility exploded and killed 26 people, kids included. Why do I want this guy to provide me any R&R?

All the while Merrill's attorney, some Greg S.Ericksen, berated our officials and screamed bloody murder about some "secret map" while taking adds out in the Park Record, emailing KPCW and writing to the Park Record about local corruption by Elliott and Williams to the point of his own embarrassment. Now I didn't vote for either but civility is pretty important here and it was lacking. There's something more than an attorney-client relationship here.

So where do I stand, Immigrant? First, the property isn't right. Second, the players aren't right. If the indictment is true, this guy could own the Stein Erickson Lodge and he wouldn't get my support for anything.

No guy who puts my friends at risk gets any sympathy here. I don't care who needs the business. That's where I stand.

Parkite Veteran and Gene - With you, thanks. How about a place in the front yard, not the back. Oh, and with decent hardware.

bob

Since: Mar 09

Ogden, UT

#11 May 5, 2009
WHOA! Ralph Merrill is involved in this? Ralph Merrill,owner of Vector Arms, sellers of UZI automatic weapons? Is HE actually trying to sell something to the military while he is still under indictment for defrauding the government in a contract involving supplying ammunition to Afghanistan? I was opposed to Quinn's Junction as the site of a military R&R facility because I think it is the wrong site and the deal smells to high heaven. But if Merrill is involved, that takes it to a new level of concern. Whatever happens with the Proposal, Merrill should be KEPT OUT of it.
Bob

Clearfield, UT

#12 May 5, 2009
PC Taxpayer -
Indictment is here:
www.usdoj.gov/usao/fls/PressReleases/080620-0...

Yep, that's the guy. And at the same time his attack dog atty. Ericksen berated our officials this thing alleges he put crap ammunition in the field. I don't understand why Erickson went from atty. to rah-rah, but I will watch closely of any of his involvement in the future.

Lots of hutzbah to scream about corrupt officials when your guy has had enough evidence presented to a FEDERAL grand jury to get an indictment.

D. Justin - Yep, a studio would be a fine addition. Let's find a partner that can make the most of it.
rumplestiltskin

Park City, UT

#13 May 7, 2009
Yes, lets build a recreation complex, ice arena, National Abilities Center, hospital, health department, Park City Heights, US Ski Team building and a movie studio, but, for heavens sake, NOT build a hotel so we don't ruin the pristine environment?

No, we don't want military members, all potential terrorists according to Obama and Napolitano, in our town. We prefer Mexicans and druggies.
Rumple Stupid

Salt Lake City, UT

#14 May 7, 2009
doofus
Gene

Seattle, WA

#15 May 9, 2009
Bob wrote:
Bob, just to clarify, the AF WANTS the Quinn's Juct location and they are rejecting the Canyon's location. Pleaes read the article again.
Know before you go

Salt Lake City, UT

#16 May 10, 2009
Ralph Merrill no longer owns the land. Idiots

Since: Mar 09

Ogden, UT

#17 May 10, 2009
Know before you go wrote:
Ralph Merrill no longer owns the land. Idiots
Ralph Merrill is currently a General Partner of Quinns Junction Partnership (QJP). QJP is the owner of approximately 30 acres located at Quinn's Junction. that means he is STILL an owner - IDIOT.
Mentally Deficient

Salt Lake City, UT

#18 May 11, 2009
rumplestiltskin wrote:
Yes, lets build a recreation complex, ice arena, National Abilities Center, hospital, health department, Park City Heights, US Ski Team building and a movie studio, but, for heavens sake, NOT build a hotel so we don't ruin the pristine environment?
No, we don't want military members, all potential terrorists according to Obama and Napolitano, in our town. We prefer Mexicans and druggies.
Do the world a favor and don't talk anymore
wonka wonka

Kaysville, UT

#19 May 11, 2009
Mentally Deficient wrote:
<quoted text>
Do the world a favor and don't talk anymore
can't comment on the talking aspect as i have obviously never heard rumple talk. But i highly encourage him (or her, of course) to keep on typing. Rumple's sentiments are echoed by the vast majority of is property owners and non-leach types here in PC.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Antonio Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Antonio Elrod, 19, Arrested On Child Molestatio... (Jul '15) Sep '16 Barbaraclayton601... 5
News South Texas considered possible route for high-... (Aug '16) Aug '16 Go Blue Forever 1
News 6-year-old girl dies in ETX golf cart accident (Jan '16) Jan '16 anonymou s 49
News U.S. agents round up Central Americans slated f... (Jan '16) Jan '16 ronnie 4
News Zero-tolerance policies may have been another f... (Sep '15) Sep '15 Beaks 2
News Well-Known San Antonio Drag Performer Murdered ... (Aug '15) Aug '15 Christaliban 2
News EXCLUSIVE: More ammo for Trump: How housing an ... (Jul '15) Jul '15 wild child 1
More from around the web