LCPD shootings draw questions

No one wanted Lance Hummell to die - except, it seems, Lance Hummell. It all happened in a matter of minutes Tuesday. Full Story
First Prev
of 9
Next Last
Hmmm

Las Cruces, NM

#1 Jul 17, 2010
It's about time someone stood up for the police in this city.
Not helpful to read

Albuquerque, NM

#2 Jul 17, 2010
The facts are incorrect. And, since the DA is running for Gov. what else would you expect the preliminary reports to conclude? The DA did not press charges in the previous incident involving this EXACT same sword and EXACT same individual. As a result, the district attorneys office also endangered the lives of the officers on Tues....this whole case is a huge let down to all the individuals involved. This could have been prevented on so many levels. So sad. I hope people look into this.....
I Agree

El Paso, TX

#3 Jul 18, 2010
That was a perfectly understandable explanation of the methods of defense an officer has against an aggressive subject. Lets see how the naysayers respond. Bottom line....comply with the orders that police give you. Let them investigate, determine if you go to jail or not and then have your day in court. As the article says, there are many assaults on police officers every year. Those incidents may not be as "newsworthy" as a suspect shot and killed but those officers have a right to go home to their families at the end of their shift A few months back a resident of an apartment complex shot and killed someone who had broken into his home. It was ruled as self defense for obvious reasons and this man was the hero for protecting himself. Come on people, stand behind the LCPD. Think of how we always have that security in knowing we can call 911 if we are in trouble...or think about this even more...what if there was NOT a number we could call if we were in trouble?
I Agree

El Paso, TX

#4 Jul 18, 2010
Not helpful to read wrote:
The facts are incorrect. And, since the DA is running for Gov. what else would you expect the preliminary reports to conclude? The DA did not press charges in the previous incident involving this EXACT same sword and EXACT same individual. As a result, the district attorneys office also endangered the lives of the officers on Tues....this whole case is a huge let down to all the individuals involved. This could have been prevented on so many levels. So sad. I hope people look into this.....
Yes, it could have been prevented by the people who he had been text messaging THE NIGHT BEFORE about his plans. Had that been reported it could have been handled a totally different way.
Not helpful to read

Albuquerque, NM

#5 Jul 18, 2010
I Agree wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, it could have been prevented by the people who he had been text messaging THE NIGHT BEFORE about his plans. Had that been reported it could have been handled a totally different way.
Again, facts are incorrect. If the investigation is handled by an independent body, it could shed some light.
Enough Negative Talk

Las Cruces, NM

#6 Jul 18, 2010
This news paper continuously reports in a manner so as to generate hysteria among the people. LCPD is trained and re-trained on these types of situations. In a moments notice the police have to decide how to handle a life threatening situation. I dont see how this could have been prevented particularly when the individual had preplanned his death. Quick action in this case prevented others from being hurt or maimed even the police officers.
All_knowing

United States

#7 Jul 18, 2010
What a bunch of assnine people we have here. Please rush ANY officer with a weapon. You'll be doing the world a favor. One less jerkweed to have to listen too. I am not an officer but i'll be damned if I let some pshyco come at me with anything. He WANTED to die! He got his wish. End of story. Good job PD! Keep it up! If my 23 yr. old son EVER charges anyone with a weapon shoot his dumbass! He knows better and if he doesn't value his life then by all means do what you have too.
uscitizen

Las Cruces, NM

#8 Jul 18, 2010
Not helpful to read wrote:
i suppose you know all the facts.so why dont you just tell us all with all of your wisdom
Albuquerque

Las Cruces, NM

#9 Jul 18, 2010
police undoubtedly have more experience in handling nut jobs due to the size of their city. So they have 4 times more shootings in a city 5 times the size of LC. So what? Luck. It would be interesting if this paper were smart enough to point out how many cops-per-citizen there are in both cities. That little point can be a factor as well.
wheres mama

Las Cruces, NM

#10 Jul 18, 2010
Wow....so his mother is a mental health professional? Give me a break! If Suellen Hummell could not get through to her sick son, then how is a police officer supposed to get through in a matter of minutes? Suellen, why did you not heal your own son? Why do some people never get healed? Unfortunately some ill people will always be ill and they will be a risk to themselves and society. I am not saying it is fair, but there will always be situations like this happening because some people are just so mental that they can not be healed. They are walking time bombs for all of us.

Can somebody out here share step by step instructions on how to talk down a mental? How do we diffuse? Seriously, we may all need to know how given our society. Anybody have instructions?

It sounds like Lance should have been admitted into a hospital a LONG time ago. He has a history of acting out. Why was he not in a facility?

Thank you to the officers for taking care of us. Unfortunately deadly force does have to be met with deadly force.
Valley Native

Albuquerque, NM

#11 Jul 18, 2010
To all those criticizing the police. Try standing in place and have a knife wielding individual charge you at full speed. You will find you have under a second to defend yourself.

Also consider with each of these shootings the officer has no way of knowing if the individual has a concealed hand gun in their possession. Thus if the officers were trying to defend themselves with a bean bag or tazer it could cost them their lives.

In my mind, given the facts as presented, the officers acted correctly. Also I agree the victim in these cases is the officers.
good job

Albuquerque, NM

#12 Jul 18, 2010
I would much rather read about a wacko being killed, than that wacko harming or killing an officer. Thank you LCPD for being there and protecting the citizens.
Whatever

Rio Rancho, NM

#13 Jul 18, 2010
Celtic Frost, where are you? Let's hear it......Even the manufacturer states that a tazer should not be used on armed subjects. I'm sitting here waiting for your textbook words of wisdom.(Relax, I'm with the herd right now.)
REALITY

Las Cruces, NM

#14 Jul 18, 2010
With exception of the most current shooting, all appear to be of Hispanic descent. Is this a coincidence?
las cruces

Santa Fe, NM

#15 Jul 18, 2010
why is it that the law always has an excuse for their wrong doing...the sward wasnt going to fire back at them,stupid just plain stupid how these cops try to think that us as not being cops are stupid......they just dont know how to cover up their f--k-ups!!!!!
Not really

Las Cruces, NM

#16 Jul 18, 2010
REALITY wrote:
With exception of the most current shooting, all appear to be of Hispanic descent. Is this a coincidence?
when you look at demographics and consider the gang mentality that is prevalent in the Hispanic communities here.
You bring

Las Cruces, NM

#17 Jul 18, 2010
las cruces wrote:
why is it that the law always has an excuse for their wrong doing...the sward wasnt going to fire back at them,stupid just plain stupid how these cops try to think that us as not being cops are stupid......they just dont know how to cover up their f--k-ups!!!!!
a Taser and I'll bring a sword and meet you at the park off Solano and Madrid. No holds barred and let's see who goes home from it.
rickjames

Farmington, NM

#18 Jul 18, 2010
las cruces wrote:
Have you ever seen professional knife throwers? Could Hummell ever had thrown this SWORD (not SWARD) at the police officer??? Oh wait, is you next argument going to be that the officer should have looked into his crystal ball and saw that Hummell was not a professional knife thrower all along??? Give me a break.
Ambrose

Albuquerque, NM

#19 Jul 18, 2010
So I ask the District Attorney; If a person attacks me with a sword, will i be able to use deadly force with a firearm and not get charged with a crime?
rickjames

Farmington, NM

#20 Jul 18, 2010
Good job to LCPD and all the men and women that serve in blue

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 9
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Antonio Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
San Antonio GOP to consider whether non-discrim... Dec '14 NorCal Native 2
Chan challenges Campbell in SD25 (Oct '13) Oct '13 snyper 1
Babies In The Womb Affected By Pesticides In Th... (Jul '12) Sep '13 James 22
Estrogen Pills Can Benefit Women With Metastati... (Dec '08) Sep '13 Wesley 2
It's time to outlaw hate speech. (Sep '13) Sep '13 snidley whiplash 3
Canada's hard line on drugs contrasts with Lati... (Jul '13) Jul '13 Paul 1
Construction of Philippines largest solar plant... (Jun '13) Jun '13 amcummer 1
More from around the web