Possible Plum Island Upgrade Worries ...

Possible Plum Island Upgrade Worries Some Shoreline Residents

There are 54 comments on the Hartford Courant story from Aug 14, 2008, titled Possible Plum Island Upgrade Worries Some Shoreline Residents. In it, Hartford Courant reports that:

Despite reports this week that the federal government is looking at Mississippi as its pick for a facility to study some of the world's most deadly biological threats, some shoreline residents wary of research ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hartford Courant.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
CT Citizen

Glastonbury, CT

#1 Aug 14, 2008
I'm sure that if Plum Island is picked everything will be fine. They are already doing testing there...let's get out of the way, stop crying and let them pick a place so that they can do their job.
shoreliner

Branford, CT

#2 Aug 14, 2008
Talk about a non-article.

You could probably count the number of people like Nancy Czarzasty on one hand regarding this subject. What value does The Courant create by highlighting her and this 'problem'.

I bet that the communities being considered for the new lab would be excited by the prospect of new and high paying jobs. But since this is The Courant, any opportunity to reduce employment and weaken the economy, is job 1.

Thank goodness there was a voice of reason included in the article. Bill Peace has it right regarding Plum Island and its economic value to the area.
Major Catastrophe

Salem, OR

#4 Aug 14, 2008
shoreliner wrote:
Talk about a non-article.
You could probably count the number of people like Nancy Czarzasty on one hand regarding this subject. What value does The Courant create by highlighting her and this 'problem'.
I bet that the communities being considered for the new lab would be excited by the prospect of new and high paying jobs. But since this is The Courant, any opportunity to reduce employment and weaken the economy, is job 1.
Thank goodness there was a voice of reason included in the article. Bill Peace has it right regarding Plum Island and its economic value to the area.
Well put. I think I'll write a letter to Gov Rell Requesting her support of expansion of the Plum Isalnd facility. We can't depend on EB forever.
Reality Check

East Hartford, CT

#5 Aug 14, 2008
I am wondering which is safer a bio-lab on it's own island or one in the middle of a city???

Let them expand, which I am sure includes many needed facility upgrades and improvements!
Arthur Anderson

West Yarmouth, MA

#7 Aug 14, 2008
I have to agree with Reality Check. Of course I don't like the idea of having a level 4 lab so close. But looking at the larger picture, common sense says put the lab on its own island. Instead of fighting the proposition, it should be encouraged as a safer alternative than a mainland laboratory.
HC Wants Zell at the Helm

Arlington, VA

#8 Aug 14, 2008
With illegal aliens bringing in diseases the United States conquered years ago (tuberculosis is back) and the legal raising of quotas of third world people (the sort who have never used toilet paper, such as Somalians, riding the same busses and touching the same government agency door handles long-time legal American residents touch) why is this such a big deal? This lab has more controls built into it than the guy running across the border carrying countless medical maladies.
just in case

Waukegan, IL

#9 Aug 14, 2008
seems like one of the huge, remote military reservations in the southwest would be a better place than a major population center for this, but what do I know--especially originating from the department of homeland "security"!
hmmm

Newington, CT

#10 Aug 14, 2008
where did Lyme disease come from?

no chance it came from Plum Island?

don't flame, just asking.
FAV

East Hartford, CT

#11 Aug 14, 2008
No one mentions the sudden appearance of No. Carolina deer ticks to New England. And what about the new deadly viruses transmitted by mosquitoes. Not so lon ago in CT mosquito and tick bites could be ignored as harmless. Conspiracy theorists aside, how about a thorough investigation into whether our new plagues are related to experiments carried out on Plum Island in the fifties. Every country having these bioweapons labs also call them defensive. Unfortunately the US has constantly fought any international treaty on bioweapons. The reason, it requires inspections and our "master race" leaders think that's only for the colonies.{for example, prewar Iraq or now Iran}.
Travis T OJustice

Hamden, CT

#12 Aug 14, 2008
FAV wrote:
No one mentions the sudden appearance of No. Carolina deer ticks to New England. And what about the new deadly viruses transmitted by mosquitoes. Not so lon ago in CT mosquito and tick bites could be ignored as harmless. Conspiracy theorists aside, how about a thorough investigation into whether our new plagues are related to experiments carried out on Plum Island in the fifties. Every country having these bioweapons labs also call them defensive. Unfortunately the US has constantly fought any international treaty on bioweapons. The reason, it requires inspections and our "master race" leaders think that's only for the colonies.{for example, prewar Iraq or now Iran}.
Good God, man. You hate this country so much, why don't you just move the eff out and go to Iran, palestine or somewhere else where they share your sentiments.
Reality Check

East Hartford, CT

#16 Aug 14, 2008
I remember mosquito bites as a kid that made me so sick for a week. I think West Nile has been with all along but we are only now understanding it, thanks to the work on Plum Island!
Jay Tee

Greenfield, MA

#18 Aug 14, 2008
FAV wrote:
It seems you already have a brain disease.

'8 miles off the connecticut coast' WTF? Its maybe one mile off the long island coast! How does the courant fail to mention that?
Big

Barkhamsted, CT

#20 Aug 14, 2008
hmmm wrote:
where did Lyme disease come from?
no chance it came from Plum Island?
don't flame, just asking.
There was a recent book, "Lab 257" that claimed just this. The author looked at the safety records of the lab at the time, the tidal currents between PI and CT, wind patterns, and the epidemiological pattern of the spread of Lyme disease and West Nile Virus. I'm not saying that there is a link, but it was interesting and the author, an attorney, made a very convincing arguement.
FAV

East Hartford, CT

#21 Aug 14, 2008
Travis T OJustice wrote:
<quoted text>
Good God, man. You hate this country so much, why don't you just move the eff out and go to Iran, palestine or somewhere else where they share your sentiments.
The usual "my government can do no wrong" BS. You ought to move to a dictatorship country like one of our banana republic client states where you could drink up Orwellianisms like "Operation Iraqi Freedom" or "Operation Enduring Freedom' and give praising Sieg Heil to your leaders. You haven't questioned the fact that we won't have inspectors on our land because we reserve the right to have our stockpile of WMDs {to better terrorize the world with}. For your information I love my country so much that I hate our current leaders who are laying groundwork for World War III by their fascist, neo-colonialist policies.
Rich

Willimantic, CT

#22 Aug 14, 2008
It would be better for residents of long Island Sound in the long run to completely close down this lab regardless of 150 jobs, demolish all the facilities, and have the island be open to boaters as a camping and recreational destination. Its location in popular recreational boating waters and its inaccessibility by car make it ideal for a camping/cruising location that would be highly compatible with both Connecticut and New York plans for the use of the Sound. Southern New England and Long Island are not centers of agriculture and I see no reason to keep on taking such risk for those purposes...
Reality Check

East Hartford, CT

#23 Aug 14, 2008
Rich wrote:
It would be better for residents of long Island Sound in the long run to completely close down this lab regardless of 150 jobs, demolish all the facilities, and have the island be open to boaters as a camping and recreational destination. Its location in popular recreational boating waters and its inaccessibility by car make it ideal for a camping/cruising location that would be highly compatible with both Connecticut and New York plans for the use of the Sound. Southern New England and Long Island are not centers of agriculture and I see no reason to keep on taking such risk for those purposes...
It would never be open to people for recreational purposes anyway. Spoken like a true entitled person from LI.
Big

Barkhamsted, CT

#24 Aug 14, 2008
Improved Hartford Courant wrote:
<quoted text>
Old Saybrook Selectman Bill Pease said the closing of Plum Island would have a negative impact on Connecticut's economy, resulting in an estimated loss of "150 good-paying jobs."
How did he come up with that figure? Do the workers live in CT and ferry into LI every day? Do workers in Long Island order pizzas for lunch from Old Saybrook? What are the jobs, and how are they related to a lab 8 miles off the coast? Come on New & Improved Hartford Courant, ask some questions in your "reporting".
jeff

United States

#25 Aug 14, 2008
FAV wrote:
I believe it was a directive from George bush to infect CT with the ticks the mozi and all bad things that have happened, know he wants to infect your people with strange things on this island
Improve Security

Bangor, ME

#29 Aug 14, 2008
Plum Island is not all that secure when some of it's employees go around wearing T-shirts that say "I work at Plum Island." Any terrorist could easily follow this person home & use their families as leverage to get them to bring something out or even send an explosive in. Perhaps we need to make sure the employees that work there show a bit more common sense when they are walking around outside of work. With the recent disclosure of the anthrax investigation, how much investigation has been done on the employees at Plum Island. If top scientists can get antrhax out of supposedly secure labs, how do we know that there aren't others like him working for our government? Perhaps security & psychological checks need to be done on a regular basis.
mike

Clearwater, FL

#31 Aug 14, 2008
Big, yes the workers do live in CT and yes, they do ferry them out of Old Saybrook everyday.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Antonio Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 6-year-old girl dies in ETX golf cart accident (Jan '16) Jan '16 anonymou s 49
News U.S. agents round up Central Americans slated f... (Jan '16) Jan '16 ronnie 4
News Antonio Elrod, 19, Arrested On Child Molestatio... (Jul '15) Nov '15 Brian 4
News Zero-tolerance policies may have been another f... (Sep '15) Sep '15 Beaks 2
News Well-Known San Antonio Drag Performer Murdered ... (Aug '15) Aug '15 Christaliban 2
News EXCLUSIVE: More ammo for Trump: How housing an ... (Jul '15) Jul '15 wild child 1
News San Antonio GOP to consider whether non-discrim... (Dec '14) Dec '14 NorCal Native 2
More from around the web