Tenor Bocelli says 'contaminated' by ...

Tenor Bocelli says 'contaminated' by temptation of money

There are 8106 comments on the Channels.netscape.com story from Mar 26, 2006, titled Tenor Bocelli says 'contaminated' by temptation of money. In it, Channels.netscape.com reports that:

Italian opera star Andrea Bocelli said he was "contaminated" by the temptation of money even if he already has too much.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Channels.netscape.com.

Katy

UK

#7818 Dec 30, 2010
I was originally alerted to the posts by comments on the French forum which is the only one where there is still. albeit occasionally, any sort of discussion. I think they get awaty with a lot a] because renate does not understand french and b] because the poster from NY is wary of alienating the only other remaining stalwart of the OS.
On the "community" the posts are under the heading "Losing respect" I should need to look up the name though.
I am very sorry to hear what you have to say about howarth . The shop with the medals etc was still open when i visited but was very much run down,
I imagine they got quite a lot of trade from the !949.2 weekends etc so maybe someone else will find
it worthwhile to open a similar place. What a shame! I hoped I had just visited at the wrong time.
Are you familiar with East Riddlesden Hall a National Trust Property just outside keighley?
I discovered it for the first time on my last visit to the area and was enchanted.

I will now go over to the "Community" to check that the poats are still there.
Katy

UK

#7819 Dec 30, 2010
The original Blog post was entitled 3Losing respect" and seems y=to have disappeared. The tail-end now entitlrd Respecting Andrea" by one Ea Jones with the last post on 28th january was still there a few miny=utes ago. Look under Blog posts.
Sorry if this is incorrect i am still working under difficulies.

Since: Jan 08

Litchfield, Connecticut

#7820 Dec 30, 2010
http://www.andreabocelli.us/forum/topics/lost...
Here is the link Sally. What a bunch of horrid people on there. She stated what the church has stated forever. Maybe she belongs over here with people that have an IQ higher than their shoe size. She really must have been new to make that kind of statement and not know the firestorm it would set off. I wanted to send her a message but I wasn't sure how. I don't care for the new forum either and never go there. It was on the old one I got the link to the new one. I just typed in "respect" into the search box and up it came in the French section. Thanks for the chuckle as they scream about his privacy and AB is the biggest one for putting the info out there. Oh wait, Katy is right we should stop as he might read this one too. HAPPY NEW YEAR all.

Litchfield, Connecticut

#7821 Dec 30, 2010
Oh and Merry Christmas and Happy New Year Andrea... in case you are reading this.
Katy

UK

#7822 Dec 31, 2010
I notice that one other poster did try to put the record straight as a few of the others obviously didn't know what they were talking about.
She got away with it because she phrased it in "respectful" terms. It is necessary to do this on these moderated forums. Noone really cares about the comtent of your posts- it is the one that is of the utmost importance.
It is quite amusing that they think of Andrea as such a delicate flower. How do they imagine he would have survived in such a cut throat business had he been such a wimp?
I don't believe that anyone does paricularly want to discuss his private life as such. His siuation is hardly unique and is his own business anyway.
Once again it is the obvious and blatant contradiction between what he says and what he does that outrages and confuses people.
He has no been foced to sermonise and proselytize
for the Catholic Church - he has chosen to do so for reasons of his own. If he cared what his fans thught he wouldn't have done it.
I should think that even a newbie would have realised that the "community" would not even have read her post before baying for blood at the direct criticism of Andrea.
In a recent edition of "Oggi" he refers to Enrica as his "ex-moglie", Not entirely accurate yt I understand. Or is it?
I love the post on that "Respect" thread where the fan pointed ou that we don't know whether he and veronica are having a sexual relationship or mot.
That is quite rue. Of course we don't. We only have his word for it!
Gert

Sharon, MA

#7823 Dec 31, 2010
Katy wrote:
I don't believe that anyone does paricularly want to discuss his private life as such. His siuation is hardly unique and is his own business anyway.
Once again it is the obvious and blatant contradiction between what he says and what he does that outrages and confuses people.
He has no been foced to sermonise and proselytize
for the Catholic Church - he has chosen to do so for reasons of his own. If he cared what his fans thught he wouldn't have done it.
He does this because he is a simpleton and a legend in his own mind, a man assured of the blind pass with a ready market for double talk and nonsense. He does not do this by malicious design - he's a believer in his own self-serving, convoluted logic.

Above all else, this is a man looking for security and predictability. I have said this from the get-go.
His Catholic traditions may represented some of this. Presumably, he has been haggling over money with Enrica for ten years and counting but why should he get on with it. Veronica is going nowhere and while every year makes him an older would-be father, his blushing bride has years of childbearing ahead of her. The best interests of this child in regard to a fifty-plus parent is not on Andrea's radar screen. The best interest of children has never been a driving force in his life so why should it be now.

He is stable; he is predictable but he's not all that attractive as a life partner. Once in a while, an unsuspecting person may comment on this reality and all hell breaks lose
Carry

Grand Rapids, MI

#7824 Dec 31, 2010
Gert wrote:
Above all else, this is a man looking for security and predictability. I have said this from the get-go.
I am not sure that I agree with this. It seems to me that there is nothing secure or predictable about pursuing a career in the entertainment industry. He was putting an awful lot on the line when he decided to go in that direction. If he wanted security and predictability, it seems that he would have stayed with Enrica, practised law, and moonlighted in piano bars. Just my respectful opinion, of course. ;)

Litchfield, Connecticut

#7825 Dec 31, 2010
I think that to be honest Carry, Gert is right as he seems that he was use to getting his own way and even though he got his law degree to satisfy his parents he was gonna go into music anyway. If you remember, Enrica was supporting them as well as his parents. He already was secure. Its not like there really was all that much put on the line. He was living in a house provided by his parents, his wife was supporting them and the extras his parents paid for. He always struck me as being a bit of a spoiled brat.. What ever Andrea wanted he got. His parents wouldn't let him go without. It might have been different if it were Alberto. The expectations would have been higher. I think that he married Enrica because it was expected. I am sure he loved her at that point but she wanted the kids he didn't and stated so. I think to have kids with Veronica at this late date would be really selfish. Having had older parents (my dad was 50 when I was born) I felt a bit ripped off as a kid as I didn't get the kind of quality time I wished I had with him and I know that time is never guarenteed but dealing with dementia and the loss of someone whom you loved and admired while they still stand in front of you is heartbreaking at best. To hear at their death that they lived a long life and blah blah blah and you are feeling you have been ripped off and short changed and a bit angry you didn't get to enjoy their long life. For me it was all too short. I have never been an advocate for late in life babies. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.
Gert

Sharon, MA

#7826 Dec 31, 2010
Carry wrote:
<quoted text>
I am not sure that I agree with this. It seems to me that there is nothing secure or predictable about pursuing a career in the entertainment industry. He was putting an awful lot on the line when he decided to go in that direction.
That is true but if you are ego driven to the extent he is, you go for the money and the fame. Within that context, he seeks predictability and security and is seldom, if ever, distracted by principles, artistry (David Foster!) or the private high road. Children, family - all are secondary to his career which, fortunately, has really paid off.
Katy

Newcastle Upon Tyne, UK

#7827 Dec 31, 2010
I don't suppose many celebrities ,stars, whatever you want to call them do make good life partners.
I agree with Carry that he was always secure in he economic sense and in the support of his parents.
he neeeded a different sort of security
He always seems to have needed attention ad applause and discovered quite early that his voice or at least his performances - would get him this attention. I think he must have been keenly aware of his limitations from an early age and this has been his spur.
If his own words in the book are to be believed -[and whoknows} he seems to be saying that he was fed up with woman in general after he had been let down and Enrica made all the running. He married her because she took the trouble to pursue him. That story is not unusual either.
Regarding any future children with veronica - well I will believe that when I see it. Veronica does not have the usual incentives which partners of hose with children from a previous relationship usually have.
I don't think i is possible to generalise about the ideal time of life to have children. Chronological age doesn't always mean much. Andrea was not exactly the most devoted father to begin with. It took the separation to make him realise what he might be missing. If he actually wanted to become a father again now he might be a much better father to his young children.
Gert

Sharon, MA

#7828 Dec 31, 2010
Katy wrote:

I agree with Carry that he was always secure in he economic sense and in the support of his parents.
he neeeded a different sort of security
Yes, he did rely on his parents and knew they would always be in his corner until their last time.
However, was he "appropriately" secure in an economic sense? I don't think so. He was a thirty year old man living off the generosity of his parents and the part-time jewelry-clerk job of his wife while he sang in piano bars and took voice lessons.

Yes, he did need a different sort of security - a reality that would give him continued validation that he was "at least" normal and a lot better than normal. He's going to make sure he's always at the top of every list even when it comes to cheating on his partner - a groundless confession created to impress gullible readers of his memoir.

He holds few surprises for me these days but to think he has been haggling over money with Enrica for ten years, secure in the enslavement of his young and hopeful consort, is exceptionally unattractive. What shrine will he be going to next? Anybody know? Anybody care?
Katy

UK

#7829 Dec 31, 2010
In some ways Andrea was ahead of his time. many of the present generaion of twenty and thirty-year olds are content to rely on their parents. Many- even when well qualified will not have full time jobs just content to enjoy the comfortable lifestyle provided by their parents and using he income from their part time jobs or hobbies to buy luxuries.
I suppose this makes sense in some ways. They cannot hope to enjoy the same lifestyle on their own salaries and would not be able to afford heir expensive cars and holidays if relying solely on thir own resources.
There is no longer any need to leave home to gain independence-they have all the independence they want. They can do as they please with no constraints in their parents' homes - without having to clear away afterwards.
I think that in some ways, little was expected of Andrea. Enrica must have been happy enouhg with his dependent situation. A house was provided for them, there was the family business and the land.
As Enrica's father bought the shop for his daughters she will have shared in the profits.
She must have thought that they would always have been able to manage with a litle help from parents.
Maybe she thought he would soon become discouraged and return o his job as a defence lawyer.
Katy

UK

#7830 Jan 6, 2011
I liked the latest offering from Notte illuminata "Where e/er you walk" but i have always loved Handel. I think this is very suitable for his voice at this ime.
I have o say also that I felt quite sorry for Veronica in the accpmpanying video. It seemed o me that she was very self[conscious and embarrasssed. Unsurprisingly.
Katy

UK

#7831 Jan 6, 2011
One of the reasons Ie the so-called "community" is his habit they have of calling Andrea "Maestro" as if it were his name as in= Maestro said and maestro did. ets. At first i thought it was just those whose first language was not English nut it is almost EVERYONE.
I prefer not to have the fantasies of others so openly displayed. Its almost indecent.
cag

Ballymena, UK

#7832 Jan 12, 2011
Katy wrote:
One of the reasons Ie the so-called "community" is his habit they have of calling Andrea "Maestro" as if it were his name as in= Maestro said and maestro did. ets.
I do understand that to some he is very special, but it is quite nauseating to see these people adddress him thus.

I have been to Germany to see him and he was very charismatic and I did like the repertoire. It was just right for his voice and I enjoyed it.
Gert

Sharon, MA

#7833 Jan 12, 2011
Maestro! A cloying pretention!

Litchfield, Connecticut

#7834 Jan 12, 2011
Well I am going to get spammed and nuts but these people are nothing but kiss asses. They think that it earns them brownie points and makes them all sound intelligent and highbrow...lol These same people that think they know better than an opera critic that has done this for years and can make informative decisions on the quality of ones singing the night they hear him sing. They pretend to care about opera but only care about AB. They know precious little about what really goes on in opera or of the singers, productions, houses or politics. I couldn’t see most of them purchasing season tickets to an opera house to help support it unless AB was connected somehow. They have very narrow minds as to other performers. If AB stopped singing tomorrow I doubt very few of them would attend another opera period.

The use of the word maestro really is used improperly trying to impress each other that she other knows what they are talking about and very few of them do have a grasp.. Maestro used as a noun means teacher plain and simple. Unless these baffoons are in a class taught by him he isn’t maestro or their maestro. If using it as an adverb then its meaning is masterful or expert which we all know that he knows his stuff and I would refer to him as Maestro Bocelli in certain settings and if I was speaking in Italian The person who really is maestro is Carlo Benini. He is or was Andrea’s piano teacher. That man is indeed a teacher associate and friend. Now the other thing that bothers me about this is most of these people aren’t Italian. It is an Italian word. The conversations are written in English so why aren’t these speaking English? I have an issue with phonies… sorry that is my rant for the week. Lol …CaG glad to hear you had a good time in Germany. I love Handel, Mozart not crazy on the French composers and I don’t know why…..hmmmm lol. Have a good night..
Carry

Grand Rapids, MI

#7835 Jan 13, 2011
When I hear "maestro" all I can think of is a Seinfeld episode. Elaine was dating a guy who I think was the conductor of a small orchestra. He insisted on being called "maestro" by everyone, even in the dating situation. In the end they all end up in Tuscany. I know I'm not doing it justice here, but it was pretty funny. The word pretentious seems very appropriate. I doubt that Bocelli would be comfortable with it.
Carry

Grand Rapids, MI

#7836 Jan 13, 2011
By the way, how are you Easterners/New Englanders surviving the weather?

Litchfield, Connecticut

#7837 Jan 13, 2011
OMG Carry that was too funny. It was a great episode. Glad to see you here. Oh the snow...well we got about 2 feet but we already had some left from the blizzard the day after Christmas. We are expecting some more on Saturday..lol. Good thing I love snow. I really am enjoying it. I went walking and took some really nice shots. Gert how did you make out?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Andrea Bocelli Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News No 1 Barry Manilow can smile again (Feb '06) Jan '14 Evan 168
News Carrie Underwood logs second No. 1 album (Nov '09) Sep '13 Taylor Swift 3
News Interview: Andrea Bocelli, opera singer (Nov '09) Jul '13 bjs 76
News Questions and answers with Andrea Bocelli (Jun '13) Jun '13 Rb RECORDS 1
News American Idol: Devin Velez, Lazaro Arbos Get To... (Mar '13) Mar '13 lazis4life 2
News Obama urges 'humility' at National Prayer Break... (Feb '13) Feb '13 rider 1
Andrea Bocelli - nude! (Sep '12) Sep '12 Tatum 1
More from around the web