ABC under fire for cross-dressing com...

ABC under fire for cross-dressing comedy "Work It"

There are 68 comments on the Reuters story from Dec 16, 2011, titled ABC under fire for cross-dressing comedy "Work It". In it, Reuters reports that:

The ABC comedy "Work It" doesn't even premiere until Jan, 3, and already it's invoking ire from rights groups.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Reuters.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Since: Jan 09

Central NJ

#1 Dec 17, 2011
Get it off the air!
Regards, Terry

“Equality marches on! ”

Since: Apr 08

Location hidden

#2 Dec 17, 2011
It looks so stupid, it won't last. Of course there is a whole generation or two out there that never saw "Bosom Buddies".

“WOOF !”

Since: Jul 11

Libertarian

#5 Dec 17, 2011
Jodie Dallas cross-dressed in the beginning.

“WAY TO GO”

Since: Mar 11

IRELAND

#7 Dec 17, 2011
Not to be insensitive, but if "Bosom Buddies" was okay in the 70's, why would this show not be okay now?

Throughout history women have dressed up and pretended to be men in order to fight and earn a living on cargo ships.

Take the show for what's it's worth.....it will either be successful or it will flop.....and if it flops, it will be taken off the air!!!

JMPO......I won't be watching it!!!

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#8 Dec 17, 2011
In the '70s we were far more desperate than we are now.
RichG

New Port Richey, FL

#9 Dec 17, 2011
we shouldn't judge until we seen it, think about where the phrase "Work it" came from? If any of you watch the Logo channel it should come easy?
the show might surprise you it just may put that facet of the community in a better light.
We of all people should practice what we preach in having a open mind. and if its there to disgrace us hang them by there balls

Since: Dec 08

Toronto, ON, Canada

#10 Dec 17, 2011
To Pauline or other trans people reading this thread:

The show seems to be a ripoff of "Tootsie." What I am curious about is whether the movies "Tootsie" and "Some Like It Hot" are offensive to trans people? They happen to be two of my favourites.
Sir Andrew

Kailua, HI

#11 Dec 17, 2011
Get it together, people. This is not about the transgendered so it shouldn't offend anyone. It's about drag, a costume choice that says nothing about the gender or sexuality of anyone.

This is a case of political correctness out of whack.

“ reality, what a concept”

Since: Nov 07

this one

#12 Dec 17, 2011
And oddly enough, the HRC still sends me letters asking why I don't donate to them any more. If this is the worst thing facing our Trans sisters and brothers, I'd have to say that they are having a pretty good week.

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Since: Apr 07

Born in Newark Ohio

#13 Dec 17, 2011
RnL2008 wrote:
Not to be insensitive, but if "Bosom Buddies" was okay in the 70's, why would this show not be okay now?
Throughout history women have dressed up and pretended to be men in order to fight and earn a living on cargo ships.
Take the show for what's it's worth.....it will either be successful or it will flop.....and if it flops, it will be taken off the air!!!
JMPO......I won't be watching it!!!
I think you make good points. I didn't really know any transgendered people back when "Bosom Buddies" was on. In fact it was only about 15 years ago that I met a few people who are transgendered and learned that although much of what I thought I knew and understood about them applied, there was a lot I didn't understand and know.

It's one thing to understand something in the abstract but another thing to experience it in finite reality. So I can understand why the show is creating negative buzz already.

Anyway from reading this article and the show's description, I doubt I'll watch it. Not because the HRC and others don't like it but just because it sounds tacky and stupid.

If I want tacky and stupid I can come to Topix or watch Pro wrestling. Both are great soap operas in my opinion!

“WAY TO GO”

IRELAND

#14 Dec 18, 2011
DNF wrote:
<quoted text>I think you make good points. I didn't really know any transgendered people back when "Bosom Buddies" was on. In fact it was only about 15 years ago that I met a few people who are transgendered and learned that although much of what I thought I knew and understood about them applied, there was a lot I didn't understand and know.
It's one thing to understand something in the abstract but another thing to experience it in finite reality. So I can understand why the show is creating negative buzz already.
Anyway from reading this article and the show's description, I doubt I'll watch it. Not because the HRC and others don't like it but just because it sounds tacky and stupid.
If I want tacky and stupid I can come to Topix or watch Pro wrestling. Both are great soap operas in my opinion!
I saw a preview to it just last night and I gotta tell ya.......Tom Hanks, Patrick Swazye and Dustin Hoffman ALL made better looking women than the two actors they have playing these roles.

Just to clarify---Tom Hanks in "Bosom Buddies", Patrick Swazye in "To Wong Foo, Thanks for Everything, Julie Newmar" and Dustin Hoffman in "Tootsie"
RichG

New Port Richey, FL

#15 Dec 18, 2011
RnL2008 wrote:
<quoted text>
I saw a preview to it just last night and I gotta tell ya.......Tom Hanks, Patrick Swazye and Dustin Hoffman ALL made better looking women than the two actors they have playing these roles.
Just to clarify---Tom Hanks in "Bosom Buddies", Patrick Swazye in "To Wong Foo, Thanks for Everything, Julie Newmar" and Dustin Hoffman in "Tootsie"
sounds like the documentary film Ladies or gentlemen narrated by RuPaul

Central NJ

#16 Dec 18, 2011
No, It's not about the Transgendered! Face it! Trensgenderism is rare! In all it's forms, it affects maybe 1% of the population. And it's a hidden 1%. Your next door neighbor could be one and you'd never know. Since Joe sixpack doesn't read medical text books, where does his information come from? You geussed it! Mindless "Comedy" shows! Discovery Health Channel went bankrupt showing "Sensitive" shows that highlighted Transexuals in a positive way. People don't want the truth. They would rather be spoon fed grabage as comedy and form false impressions about us.
They would rather have red meat thrown to their existing prejudices than change any of them. We have been laughed at long enough! Get it off the air!
Regards, Terry
Sir Andrew wrote:
Get it together, people. This is not about the transgendered so it shouldn't offend anyone. It's about drag, a costume choice that says nothing about the gender or sexuality of anyone.
This is a case of political correctness out of whack.

Central NJ

#17 Dec 18, 2011
Ya think so, huh! Let's do a "show" about gay men creeping around bus station rest rooms late at night. Or how about "Truck Stop Diaries"! They can do 26 weeks of Lance and David doing BJs on lonesome truckers. In the last week one of them get's killed by a homophobe, who has a "Conversion" right after the big 0. How Tragic! Or a lighthearted Romp through "Gayland" where no one ever gets a cold, has to earn a living, pay the rent/mortgage. or gets HIV, or beaten up for being Gay! That would be realistic wouldn't it? These utterly false scenarios would be ok in an atmosphere of competing information, but bwhere is the competing information about Transgenderism? Where is the reality? So, in the absence of any other, this becomes reality.
Regards, Terry
Rick in Kansas wrote:
And oddly enough, the HRC still sends me letters asking why I don't donate to them any more. If this is the worst thing facing our Trans sisters and brothers, I'd have to say that they are having a pretty good week.

“ reality, what a concept”

Since: Nov 07

this one

#18 Dec 18, 2011
TerryE wrote:
...Regards, Terry
Sorry, but your hyperbolic ramblings of "what if" scenarios of stereotypical portrayals of Gay men behaving badly do your cause more harm than good. From what I've seen and heard about this show, it isn't intended as a fact-based exploration of what those who are actually transgendered go through, it's just another re-tread on a centuries old plot device. If someone who is actually transgendered was being portrayed as negatively as you asked me about, I would say you have a valid argument, but they aren't. It was incredibly doubtful that anyone would have made any association between what was likely to be an incredibly short-lived show about the perceived "hilarity" of what happens when two young men can only find work as women and anyone who is actually transgendered. At least not until these two groups started screaming about the one they claim they saw in the advertisements for it. All this story does is provide free advertising to another inane sit-com that would have been lucky to survive a month, but now that these fools are b*tching about it, more are likely to tune in to see what all the fuss is about.

By the way, there is and has been plenty of "competing information" available on television about the realities of transgenderism and some incredibly sensitive portrayals of it in both drama and comedy, but instead of drawing attention to the good stuff, we get this.

“WOOF !”

Since: Jul 11

Libertarian

#19 Dec 18, 2011
Anybody see that ad campaign for the push-up bra ? The model is VERY pretty. That's why she's a professional model. It's also unusal that they show you the model bare-breated. Why did they do that ? Because the model for the push-up bra is male.

Anyone here see it ?

“I Support Equality”

Since: Jun 07

Beaverton, OR

#20 Dec 18, 2011
RnL2008 wrote:
<quoted text>
I am a transexual and I do not have a problem with this show. If I am correct, wasn't it ABC that aired the Barbara Walters show on transgendered children? That was a very positive show. While I am solidly in the camp advocting for transgender rights, I also think we need to be less touchy about issues like this. It is a fictional TV show. I would like to see ABC air more shows on trangender issue. That would have a very positive effect.

“WAY TO GO”

IRELAND

#21 Dec 18, 2011
Pgetty wrote:
<quoted text>
I am a transexual and I do not have a problem with this show. If I am correct, wasn't it ABC that aired the Barbara Walters show on transgendered children? That was a very positive show. While I am solidly in the camp advocting for transgender rights, I also think we need to be less touchy about issues like this. It is a fictional TV show. I would like to see ABC air more shows on trangender issue. That would have a very positive effect.
Hey P, nice to see ya.....hoping life has been good to ya:-)

I totally agree with your position......I hadn't even heard of it until reading this article, then I saw the previews and thought.....nothing to worry about......it is strictly from a non-real life perceptive......and as long as there are real shows addressing the issue of Transgender in a positive manner.....there is hardly an issue with this show.......besides, as Rick stated, it might not have made it a month, but now.....it might make it a couple of months!!!

I've seen Modern Family like once, not really into the show because of how I see them portraying the Gay couple......but others like it and it's still on!!!

My wife and I have been watching a show called Too Fat for Fifteen.......and it's a real eye opener about the overweight problem that is facing our teens and young children......really amazing watching a couple of the kids working their butts off to change bad habits and lose the weight!!!

Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays/Seasons Greeting/Yule/Happy Hanukkah and any one I might have missed!!!
Jason

Bath, NY

#22 Dec 18, 2011
Pgetty wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, I do not have a problem with the show either. I've read books about females dressing as males to be in the army in a humorous tone and as a FTM I wasn't offended. I understand it is a bit different because of the negative stigma transsexual women often face but we should take this show at face value. Its a comedy about men wearing female attire to get jobs. This is not what a transsexual is. Those who think that while watching the show are uneducated about trans people anyway.

“Equality First”

Location hidden

#23 Dec 18, 2011
Here is the description of the program from ABC's website:

"Pilot - TUESDAY JAN 3 8:30|7:30c

ABC's new high-concept comedy about two unrepentant guy’s guys who, unable to find work, dress as women to get jobs. Not only do they pull it off, but they just might learn to be better men in the process.

Sounds like a re-make of Bosom Buddies to me. Course, I only watched 2 or 3 empisodes of BB, so I'm no judge of its' content. It doesn't sound like transgendered, but more like drag to me.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Amaury Nolasco Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Amaury Nolasco - nude! (Sep '11) Sep '11 Christy 1
News Afro/Cuban percussionist & dancer Melena headli... (Jul '10) Aug '10 DaveNY 13
hi (Jan '07) Nov '08 Amaury nolasco-fan 2
News Prison Break (Sep '07) Nov '08 lalalalalala 4
More from around the web