'She's singing in heaven'

'She's singing in heaven'

There are 40 comments on the The York Daily Record story from May 6, 2011, titled 'She's singing in heaven'. In it, The York Daily Record reports that:

Ambriel Bowen was a jokester. She would sing to her friends in an Alvin and the Chipmunks-style voice and dance on her family's front porch.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The York Daily Record.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Rebecca Wolf

York, PA

#1 May 6, 2011
Thank you York Daily News for doing a story on this serious problem our children are facing. It is much appreciated. You and Fox43 answered my plea for help, although WGAL never responded back about doing a story on this matter. R.I.P Ambriel, we know you were smiling down on us when the sun shined through the storm clouds.
Phantanos

Anaheim, CA

#2 May 6, 2011
There is no pity in my heart for a bully. A scondrel, who enjoys causing suffering of the meek, should face extreme punishment. Total isolation, hard labor, and a long time to think about what they have done!
parent

York, PA

#3 May 6, 2011
May God Bless Ambriel and her family, what a tragic end to a very young life. This was a senseless killing of a beautiful young girl, what a shame. Shes in Heaven now, no more suffering for her...GOD BLESS HER AND HER FAMILY
An Area Volly fireman

Chambersburg, PA

#5 May 6, 2011
Thoughts and prayers to the mother and rest of family and friends for your loss...Im sure no one can ever relate to how your feeling for your loss....She is in such a better place now... No bullying....no hate....No violence...Evreybody as one....Just like bob marley said it....One love...Shes an angel looking over us all now....RIP!
Jim

Hummelstown, PA

#6 May 7, 2011
for the bullies should be charged for murder
concerned citizen

York, PA

#7 May 7, 2011
god bless the family and friends this is a very sad circumstance.
SMD2011

Hanover, PA

#10 May 7, 2011
I am so sorry to hear of this families loss. Bullying is definitely an issue that is never going to go away and personally I think it's going to get worse when kids can't even respect authority figures.
concerned mom of 3

York, PA

#11 May 7, 2011
my daughter was bullied and stood up for herself and my daughter received detention and the bully received nothing
goes along with the

York, PA

#14 May 7, 2011
very sad & people need to know that this kind of stuff goes on alot & needs to be address at schools, so kids can reach out for help when it become to the point, where they want to take there own life. My prayers are with the many family that had gone thew with this same situation.
Just sayin

York, PA

#15 May 7, 2011
Jim wrote:
for the bullies should be charged for murder
No, the bullies shouldn't be charged with murder. I didn't hear that Ambriel or her mother had called the police, numerous times, as a result of this bullying. This girl supposedly took her own life. I agree, children shouldn't bully but I believe we have all been bullied at one time or another. That doesn't make it right but what you do about it can make the difference. Sometimes, it's the bullies who need the help because most of the time it's a cry for help because of bullying at home. The news doesn't help. This week was all about the bullies that were charged with Phoebe Prince's death. We all know Phoebe had other mental issues. Ambriel may have watched the news regarding the bullies being charged and chose to make her own news. Who knows? Maybe we should charge the press! The sad truth is, in this day an age, we can't yell at our kids because we'll hurt their feelings and then, when someone says "Boo!" they're hurt or insulted and can't handle it.
mom

York, PA

#18 May 7, 2011
this story and all stories where children are taking their lives is absolutely disgusting....I think more punishment should be given for the bullies, and why are they being raised to think its ok to bully......starts in the home people...get it together.
Get Real

Chicago, IL

#19 May 7, 2011
I can't believe people can find something to be negative about in this article.. Show some restraint people. Please
70s kid

Hanover, PA

#20 May 7, 2011
This is the 2nd instance of someone killing themselves in our area.The other was the young kid who jumped in front of a tractor trailer in perry county because he was bullied.Over 40 years ago i was bullied constantly. These stories bring back the bad memories for me also. Yes 40 yrs later i still think about it.I was spit on called Jughead, Fatso etc.Forced to sing songs while they laughed at me.Then something happened. I grew like 10 inches in a year and the bullying stopped.went from like 5-3 to 6-1 and from like 170 to 220 lbs.Now i was bigger than them.With all the social media today,Twitter,Facebook etc its even worse today.
A Mother

York, PA

#22 May 7, 2011
Ambriel is just one in many that went through this Children need to let some one know so we can help them I personally did not know her but being a Mother and Grand mother I know how peer pressure can be at Any School

This needs to stop before it gets more students to Do before they Think

Our Dearest Ambriel You are a Angel looking down and helping other students It was not fair
Ambriels mom

York, PA

#29 May 7, 2011
Thank you...:) may God's love and mercy be with you and your family.
A Mother wrote:
Ambriel is just one in many that went through this Children need to let some one know so we can help them I personally did not know her but being a Mother and Grand mother I know how peer pressure can be at Any School
This needs to stop before it gets more students to Do before they Think
Our Dearest Ambriel You are a Angel looking down and helping other students It was not fair
Desiree evans

York, PA

#35 May 7, 2011
To the family of Ambriel, I am so saddened and sorry to hear of your loss. Although I did not know her, my niece did. The family will be in my heart, thoughts and prayers. And I hope the "bullies" see what affect the kind of behavior they display has on others.
susan

York, PA

#37 May 7, 2011
Bullying is nothing more than harrassement which is against the law. When this poor girl was beat up that was assault and battery, which is also a crime. This girl felt she was not safe anywhere. I'm so sorry Ambriel thought she had no way to stop this situation but to end her life. Please accept my deepest sympathy Mrs. Richards.
Kareem N Mikoffee

United States

#38 May 7, 2011
I'm sorry that the young girl felt suicide was the only way out. But for Mayor "Sheila Jackson Lee "Bracey to say she isn't going to tolerate certain behaviors in the community is laughable. Here's what she does tolerate: prostitution, drug use, truancy, gun play, stabbings, murder, illegal aliens, ebonics, incompetent teachers, high taxes, one party rule, corruption, and on and on. So I'm relieved SJL Bracey has drawn the line on suicide and bullying because I'm sure it will cease to exist immediately due to the force of her just saying so. Thank you, Oh great ONE!
Kathleen Hassan

Quincy, MA

#41 May 7, 2011
Dear Tami - I am so very saddened and sorry for your loss. I believe that your daughter gave up her life to teach the world your exact message - "God is bigger than any bully." And your oldest daughter's message that bullies are really hurting is exactly right as well. Every child needs to hear this message. I speak to teens all over the country and will share your message with every group I speak to. For the past 3 years I've spoken at the York County Young Women's Leadership Conference - this coming year, your daughter will be honored and your message will be shared with the 1500 7th grade girls in attendance. I am holding you and your family in my thoughts and prayers. I am also praying that your message of peace and love reigns rather than the "anti-bullying" task forces that have sprung up around the country. Love is the only solution - anti anything only brings about more of the same.

Your courage and faith amidst all of this is so inspiring. God is using you mightily and your message has the power to heal the world.

Please email me if I can be of any assistance to you and your family and to help carry your message of love and faith to the girls of the world. [email protected]

May you feel His love enfold you during this time and always.

Kathleen Hassan
Market St Taxpayer

Lancaster, PA

#50 May 7, 2011
The short sightedness of YSD to send 5th graders to the middle school will only lead to more bullying. What chance to defend themselves against much older kids do our youngest middle school chilren have? Remember, they have to walk to and from school because contrary to popular opinions expressed here, they have parents who need to work. Why does the school district of York continue to allow all students early dismissal on every other Wed? To spoonfeed the teachers their required continuing ed credits? The ones they would have you believe they must get on their own time and pay for themselves? Truancy isn't the only reason students are roaming the streets when they should be in school.
I have been in the elementary schools. The teachers would need to pay attention to the students to recognize bullying. Some of it comes from the teachers!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Alvin & the Chipmunks Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Town blasts 'Alvin and the Chipmunks' music to ... (Dec '15) Dec '15 Christsharian Dee... 20
News Alvin and the Chipmunks are ready to sing their... (Jul '15) Jul '15 Pierre Elliott Tr... 1
Talk to me Simon Seville (Apr '13) Jun '14 Tony Nielson 2
News Bella Thorne And Zendaya Coleman At The Animal ... (Dec '11) Oct '13 Bella Thorne Zendaya 2
Alvin and the chipmunks in the future (Dec '07) Apr '13 Simon Seville 3
Simon seville opinion (Mar '13) Apr '13 Simon Seville 4
News Freebie: Munk Yourself With Chipmunks Squeakque... (Dec '09) Apr '13 Simon Seville 11
More from around the web