RC's mayor-elect already minding his manners

RANCHO CUCAMONGA will have a new mayor when Dennis Michael takes office on Dec. 1. And Michael, a councilman who won the mayoral election last week, was setting a good tone before the polls even closed. Full Story
Concerned

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

#1 Nov 6, 2010
" * Michael thanked the California electorate for approving Proposition 22, which blocks the state from "raids" of local government revenue. Rancho Cucamonga has lost $95 million in redevelopment and transportation funds to the state, Michael said.

Yes, it's a tragedy. Rather than the state blowing those funds on frivolous luxuries like teachers, jails or highways, Rancho Cucamonga could have kept that money right here at home, and given it to Jeff Burum."

I loved what you wrote so much I had to quote it...priceless :)
Sacramento Unicorns

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

#2 Nov 7, 2010
"Rather than the state blowing those funds on frivolous luxuries..."

That same line bothered me. At least the funds would have been spent - or stolen - locally. Now the money has disappeared into the State of California's screwed-up checking account.

The money won't go to Teachers or Highways or friendly magical Unicorns. It gets wasted on studies and phony rail projects and committees and executive positions that produce absolutely nothing.
tell the truth

United States

#3 Nov 7, 2010
I wish Michael well. He has a big shoes to fill. We are going to see local Government try and stay. The fact is the money property values unemployment welfare we may not have money for local Government. You may see Cities School Dist Fire Dept Police Dept comming to gether because their is not enough tax dollars to go around. We have a growing population of homeless famlies with no where to live. Thousands of families who are going to lose their home that worth half of what they owe on it. If interest goes up many folks are finished or will give up. What you have is the have's verse the have nots. When or if there is more of them then things will change. Local Government has lost it way as thousands of their Citizens have fell through the cracks. We have system of laws fines that are impowered when times were good. We have unemployment in the 22% range when you adjust it for small business owner who has nothing from the Government to fall back on. the Contractor in the welfare line. Good Luck Mayor Michael.
Holy Cow

AOL

#4 Nov 7, 2010
Good riddance Rex,you little convicted felon.
Oh Brother

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

#5 Nov 7, 2010
"And Michael, a councilman who won the mayoral election last week, was setting a good tone before the polls even closed. He phoned every candidate in the council election to wish them well."

Sounds like a typical fireman trait, break your arm patting yourself on the back attitude! How would David Allen know that, was he invited to hear the phone calls?
RC Transplant

Arlington, VA

#6 Nov 7, 2010
Suggestion to the newly elected and re-elected city council, mayor, and SB supes. Publicize what you get for per diem and lodging bennies when on travel. Release the dollar amounts that each of you and your staffs have received going back 10 years for all members of the board, including those who just got beaten (Biane). Explain if county cars can be used for personal reasons, like going to Mexico. Explain why the tax payers should have to pay for elected reps using government cars to do personal stuff like shopping and Mexican trips. All elected members, tell us if your gardeners and housekeepers and nannies are legal or illegal (talking to you, Kurth). Michael, recuse yourself when having to decide on firemen's pension. Is Rex still drawing any salary or benefits as a RC council member? Remember, when he left the first time under the cloud of his rag drawing ads from vendors doing city business, Biane got him his health insurance bennies even tho he left office under shame. Maybe it has happened again and we the voters and tax payers just do not know about it. RC Council, how will you fill the two slots that are opened? special election? appointment? people who ran or did not? Let's appoint those who finished in the bottom 2, as they represent those regular citizens who are not backed by either the rich developers or the rich police/fire unions.
R U Kidding

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

#7 Nov 7, 2010
I wonder if Michael was as gracious to the other mayoral candidates? It is easy to phone people you aren't in competition with. Why is the DB doing articles that are designed to cover for this man's boorish behavior. I think I saw him spit and snarl at the ALRC forum when asked about fireman's pay. I thought he was going to hit the poor guy asking the question.
Dare

United States

#8 Nov 7, 2010
"Yes, it's a tragedy. Rather than the state blowing those funds on frivolous luxuries like teachers, jails or highways, Rancho Cucamonga could have kept that money right here at home, and given it to Jeff Burum."

On the other hand, RC and other cities could use the funds raided by the state, on luxuries like local police, fire and roads.
Too funny

Chino, CA

#9 Nov 7, 2010
David Allen is a hack beat writer who I believe just slandered a citizen of the City, unprovocked .I hope Mr. Burum adds Allens name to list during the recovery stage after this whole Ramos led bs is finished. Put Postmus in jail, fine Erwin and lets move on !It is a waste of everyones time and especially our money.
County resident

Upland, CA

#10 Nov 8, 2010
Concerned wrote:
" * Michael thanked the California electorate for approving Proposition 22, which blocks the state from "raids" of local government revenue. Rancho Cucamonga has lost $95 million in redevelopment and transportation funds to the state, Michael said.
Yes, it's a tragedy. Rather than the state blowing those funds on frivolous luxuries like teachers, jails or highways, Rancho Cucamonga could have kept that money right here at home, and given it to Jeff Burum."
I loved what you wrote so much I had to quote it...priceless :)
David, you do have a way with words. Keep using them - as you've said, it's your column.
teapartyRevolt

Redondo Beach, CA

#11 Nov 11, 2010
RC needs to clean up its act and stop wasting our money. We never would have had this issue in the first place if the county had done its job and controlled the flood district. I don't blame devleopers who sue the city for not doing their job. We won't get our economy working if we piss on private citizens who create jobs and elect wimps to government posts. Government doesn't create jobs. Developers like Jeff Burum do. Why do we make it harder and harder for business people to function like they are supposed to function. We shouldn;t make rich people the enemy. Poor people don't hire us to work.
tell the truth

United States

#12 Nov 11, 2010
teapartyRevolt wrote:
RC needs to clean up its act and stop wasting our money. We never would have had this issue in the first place if the county had done its job and controlled the flood district. I don't blame devleopers who sue the city for not doing their job. We won't get our economy working if we **** on private citizens who create jobs and elect wimps to government posts. Government doesn't create jobs. Developers like Jeff Burum do. Why do we make it harder and harder for business people to function like they are supposed to function. We shouldn;t make rich people the enemy. Poor people don't hire us to work.
The County Flood Control told the City of Upland not to build the Colonies. The City Council in Upland built it any they wante to have the first shoping center on the 210.
Concerned

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

#13 Nov 11, 2010
RC Transplant wrote:
Suggestion to the newly elected and re-elected city council, mayor, and SB supes. Publicize what you get for per diem and lodging bennies when on travel. Release the dollar amounts that each of you and your staffs have received going back 10 years for all members of the board, including those who just got beaten (Biane). Explain if county cars can be used for personal reasons, like going to Mexico. Explain why the tax payers should have to pay for elected reps using government cars to do personal stuff like shopping and Mexican trips. All elected members, tell us if your gardeners and housekeepers and nannies are legal or illegal (talking to you, Kurth). Michael, recuse yourself when having to decide on firemen's pension. Is Rex still drawing any salary or benefits as a RC council member? Remember, when he left the first time under the cloud of his rag drawing ads from vendors doing city business, Biane got him his health insurance bennies even tho he left office under shame. Maybe it has happened again and we the voters and tax payers just do not know about it. RC Council, how will you fill the two slots that are opened? special election? appointment? people who ran or did not? Let's appoint those who finished in the bottom 2, as they represent those regular citizens who are not backed by either the rich developers or the rich police/fire unions.
Well said!!
Concerned

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

#14 Nov 11, 2010
teapartyRevolt wrote:
RC needs to clean up its act and stop wasting our money. We never would have had this issue in the first place if the county had done its job and controlled the flood district. I don't blame devleopers who sue the city for not doing their job. We won't get our economy working if we **** on private citizens who create jobs and elect wimps to government posts. Government doesn't create jobs. Developers like Jeff Burum do. Why do we make it harder and harder for business people to function like they are supposed to function. We shouldn;t make rich people the enemy. Poor people don't hire us to work.
And it appears the Tax payers pay for Jeff's employees

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Alice Waters Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
California chefs encourage fresh, healthy meals... (Dec '12) Dec '12 Doc Proper 2
Michelle Obama, Alice Waters and Fedele Bauccio... (Aug '11) Aug '11 Sunshine 1
Feeding the First Lady (Jun '11) Jun '11 fedupwiththemess 2
Alice Waters hosting Michelle Obama in East Bay (Jun '11) Jun '11 Sunshine 1
New federal dietary guidelines say skip the salt (Feb '11) Feb '11 Klaus 1
Mountain lion shot in Berkeley's Gourmet Ghetto... (Aug '10) Aug '10 va_tazdad 1
Mountain lion shot in Berkeley's Gourmet Ghetto (Aug '10) Aug '10 uh Clem 9
More from around the web