Eat blog: Whether service is good or ...

Eat blog: Whether service is good or not, this swank restaurant...

There are 75 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Jun 5, 2009, titled Eat blog: Whether service is good or not, this swank restaurant.... In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

This post and more about Twin Cities dining and food can be found at the Eat blog .

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
SunShine

Minneapolis, MN

#64 Jun 6, 2009
Pizza Delivery Guy wrote:
<quoted text>What's your excuse for not tipping? See, not tipping is pretty much equivalent to being on the dole, in the welfare line, whatever. If you don't pay for a service you receive, you're taking charity from someone who's just trying to make a living. My guess is you're a Republican. Every time I see a McCain/Palin or W/Cheney sign in a yard, I know I'm going to be lucky to walk away with a buck at the most. Then these people complain about welfare abuse - what hypocrites - at least welfare cheats spread it around a little and don't effect any one individual so much.
Yo!

Richard Cranium!

We "paid" for a product.

Tipping is gratuity, for GOOD service rendered.

That you EXPECT IT is 99% of the reason you ain't GETTIN IT!
Pizza Delivery Guy

Minneapolis, MN

#65 Jun 6, 2009
SunShine wrote:
<quoted text>
Yo!
Richard Cranium!
We "paid" for a product.
Hey charity case. Obama won. Get over it. If you really want to get the delivery guy, take down the McCain sign, then he'll be a lot more disappointed when you stiff him.
Former Waitress

Buffalo, MN

#66 Jun 6, 2009
As a former cook and waitress, I believe tipping should be left up to the customer. Customers base their tips on the service they have recieved and 20% is much if your service was lousy. After reading this article, I will NOT be stopping at the Bradstreet Crafthouse for any meals. I am the person who works hard for my money and I am the person who should decide HOW I spend it and that means my judgement for tipping.

Since: Sep 08

Saint Paul, MN

#67 Jun 7, 2009
I was in Vegas a few years back when an amway convention was going on..(almost all republicans)..i felt so sorry for the cocktail waitresses, they were lucky to get a thank you
Service worker

Minneapolis, MN

#68 Jun 7, 2009
One of the reasons for bad service is that some waitstaff see their job as temporary, a quick way to get some quick cash. They don't see it as a profession, and get out as soon as they have another option. You hear college grads who need work these days say, I'll just get a job waiting tables until I get into my real career.

There are many good restaurant professionals out there, I know them when I'm waited on by one, and they earn every bit of their tip, and then some. Not to mention the abuse they take from some of the self-important types who love having someone cater to them for an evening, who have the thumbs up or down power over this person's evening wages. But a pro won't even give a jerk like that a reason to tip lightly. Customers will anyway. But the temps in the trade, they barely earn their hourly in many cases. Managers should think twice before hiring them.
Kristy

Minneapolis, MN

#69 Jun 8, 2009
This is outrageous!!! I am glad this is brought to the attention of diners. This state is so damn liberal not only does this restaurant owner make it mandatory for me to pay 20% gratuity whether or not the service is good but our wonderful government thinks we should also pay every minimum wage employee including TIPPED employees $6.55 per hour starting July 1st! What a crock...these servers are making a killing. If I lived in any nearby state I would get a job in MN b/c minimum wage is WI is somewhere around $2.00 for TIPPED employees. It's always "Something for Nothing" in this state.
Gndydncr

Fargo, ND

#70 Jun 8, 2009
TIP is an acronym for To Insure Promptness. Originally, I think it was given at the outset of the dining experience as an incentive.
Observation

Boise, ID

#71 Jun 8, 2009
Pizza Delivery Guy wrote:
<quoted text>Hey charity case. Obama won. Get over it. If you really want to get the delivery guy, take down the McCain sign, then he'll be a lot more disappointed when you stiff him.
Well, if they are a "charity case" then they most likely voted FOR B.O. so your kinda mixing your insults here.(I would have preferred to use "metaphor", but I was concerned you would not understand it's meaning)

As for being "stiffed", with your attitude, I'm thinking you deserve to be.
Smella

Minneapolis, MN

#72 Jun 8, 2009
First off, I don't think it's unreasonable to charge for service; in fact (assuming that the info was printed on the menu; I tried to look it up but was unable, and Kathie does not say) it seems more honest to me than not reminding the customer upfront.

Second, 20% is not a particularly high tip in my world, especially not for cocktails. Actually it's my automatic tip; I'll go up for exemplary service or down for egregious errors. If you cannot afford to tip 20% at Bradstreet, you should go to a cheaper restaurant or bar.

Third, as I so often do when I read Kathie's columns, I wonder if she bothered to speak to anyone at Bradstreet about their policy.

Fourth, those who are commenting that they would storm out in a huff over such a thing - you are probably not the target market for this bar. Whether there's enough people in their target market to support them is another question, but my guess is that if you're the type who rants about entitled youths and hoity-toity this or that - Bradstreet isn't looking for you.

Since: Sep 08

Saint Paul, MN

#73 Jun 9, 2009
if you cant afford to tip, eat at him cheapos
predictable

Saint Paul, MN

#74 Jun 9, 2009
Nota Sheep wrote:
It's been a while since I've been to Europe, but I don't recall the service charge being anywhere NEAR 20%. Maybe 10%, 12% or so. I likely won't go to this place, though, since I reserve 20% for excellent service, and I'm not going to pay regardless.
That said, I much prefer the way they do things in Europe-- the price you see is the price you pay; everything is included. You see something for sale for 20 EUR, then you pay 20 EUR.
It really is stupid to put a price tag on something and then charge people more than what it says on the tag.
Tipping is not generally expected in most western European nations because the staff is paid a living wage (often by law, for better or worse). The food is a bit more expensive up front, but you don't have to think about adding 15-20% on top after the meal. No American server could support themselves, let along any dependants, on their "salary" without the tips.
predictable

Saint Paul, MN

#75 Jun 9, 2009
SunShine wrote:
<quoted text>
Yo!
Richard Cranium!
We "paid" for a product.
Tipping *should* be for good service rendered, but that's not the way that the service industry is set up. Tipping of 15%-20% is factored into their wages, therefore they are paid less on the expectation that tips will make up the difference.

So, by not tipping, you are, in fact, getting something (service) for nothing. Like you said, you paid for the product. Do you think that the person driving that product to your house is doing it out of the goodness of their heart? The service of delivery is a separate product from the pizza (otherwise you'd go and pick it up yourself), and you, apparently, don't want to pay for it.
Gndydncr

Fargo, ND

#76 Jun 9, 2009
It seems that it would be simpler to raise the prices by 20% and pay the staff a commission. By providing the best tasting, most attractive food out of the kitchen (chefs, cooks, salad makers, etc), delivered in the most prompt, efficient, and friendliest manner possible (servers) to a clean, refreshing, and comfortable dining area (bussing staff, cleaners, maintenance workers) should assure return visits and positive word-of-mouth advertising which will benefit the entire restaurant team. Everybody does their part to grow the clientele and keep them.

“Here I come to save the Day!”

Since: Jan 09

Gothem city

#77 Jun 9, 2009
I don't mind leaving a tip and it is usually 15-20%

But I hate feeling guilty when I do not think a server deserves a tip.... therefore I often leave it anyway.... which is self defeating.
p t bull

Minneapolis, MN

#78 Jun 10, 2009
Used to park cars at the blue horse in midway back when I was a young pup in the 1980s--that law degree really paid off! We had to put our tips in a jar and the maitre'd would divy them out as he saw fit. He took whatever he wanted off the top and we got whatever was left over.

Still, it was a very well paying job for doing completely unskilled work--you just spent the next week paying for everything with grubby one dollar bills.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Alice Waters Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Grill the chef: Bill Wavrin (May '08) Nov '15 timmy cosbey 14
News California chefs encourage fresh, healthy meals... (Dec '12) Dec '12 Doc Proper 2
News Michelle Obama, Alice Waters and Fedele Bauccio... (Aug '11) Aug '11 Sunshine 1
News Feeding the First Lady (Jun '11) Jun '11 fedupwiththemess 2
News Alice Waters hosting Michelle Obama in East Bay (Jun '11) Jun '11 Sunshine 1
News New federal dietary guidelines say skip the salt (Feb '11) Feb '11 Klaus 1
News RC's mayor-elect already minding his manners (Nov '10) Nov '10 Concerned 14
More from around the web