Pacino and De Niro: How the mighty ha...

Pacino and De Niro: How the mighty have fallen

There are 28 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Apr 21, 2008, titled Pacino and De Niro: How the mighty have fallen. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

Ithought Francis Ford Coppola was being cranky last fall when he badmouthed Al Pacino and Robert De Niro -- the stars of Coppola's immortal "Godfather" films -- for taking parts for the money and losing their ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
wrecksracer

Redford, MI

#25 Apr 23, 2008
I always thought Pacino was over-rated. He plays vitually the same character in every movie. He's a guy on the edge....starts yelling....blah, blah. The Godfater films were great, but beyond that...
Well

Elgin, IL

#26 Apr 23, 2008
wrecksracer wrote:
I always thought Pacino was over-rated. He plays vitually the same character in every movie. He's a guy on the edge....starts yelling....blah, blah. The Godfater films were great, but beyond that...
Ever since "Scent of a Women" Pacino has played the same role collecting paychecks. Good work if you can get it.
wrecksracer

United States

#27 Apr 23, 2008
Well wrote:
<quoted text>
Ever since "Scent of a Women" Pacino has played the same role collecting paychecks. Good work if you can get it.
I'd add that Serpico, Dog Day Afternoon, and Panic in Needle Park were pretty much the same role...you can add Sea of Love to that, too....(yeah, I'd take that work if I could get it....).
Well

Elgin, IL

#28 Apr 23, 2008
wrecksracer wrote:
<quoted text>
I'd add that Serpico, Dog Day Afternoon, and Panic in Needle Park were pretty much the same role...you can add Sea of Love to that, too....(yeah, I'd take that work if I could get it....).
I don't think Serpico was gay like his character in Doy Day Afternoon. But in Cruising, he was an undercover cop who played a gay guy. Wait a minute, your right, he has played only one role!
Well

Elgin, IL

#29 Apr 23, 2008
Sorry meant "Dog" not Doy.
Decibert

Leeuwarden, Netherlands

#30 May 7, 2008
Let's take two of the greatest actors in modern movies, who've done some of the best movies in decades, and crack down on them for their later average work. Oh wait, you did. In the words of Jack Black playing in the film of Nick Hornby's novel "High fidelity": "is it in fact fair to criticize a formerly great artist for his latter-day sins?", there concerning Stevie Wonder and his "top-five musical crimes committed during the 80's and 90's". I believe not. They've produced more quality work than almost anyone else, more than would ever be fair to expect, then why botter if they go back to average stuff? They paid there dues, and anything good they make after that is just a bonus. They've set a standard thousands aspire to, why would they have to try to keep that up? Besides that, the article is very, very onesided and frankly sounds like someone didn't do any research and just cranked something out. Come on, anyone can take such a cheap shot, at least shine a light on both sides of the story.
wrecksracer

Redford, MI

#31 May 7, 2008
Decibert wrote:
Let's take two of the greatest actors in modern movies, who've done some of the best movies in decades, and crack down on them for their later average work. Oh wait, you did. In the words of Jack Black playing in the film of Nick Hornby's novel "High fidelity": "is it in fact fair to criticize a formerly great artist for his latter-day sins?", there concerning Stevie Wonder and his "top-five musical crimes committed during the 80's and 90's". I believe not. They've produced more quality work than almost anyone else, more than would ever be fair to expect, then why botter if they go back to average stuff? They paid there dues, and anything good they make after that is just a bonus. They've set a standard thousands aspire to, why would they have to try to keep that up? Besides that, the article is very, very onesided and frankly sounds like someone didn't do any research and just cranked something out. Come on, anyone can take such a cheap shot, at least shine a light on both sides of the story.
I still say Pacino is a one trick pony who has been doing the same role since he started acting. It's a great role, but you can only do some many films using minor variations on the same role.
(by the way, us film snobs don't call films "movies").
chrisk

Waldorf, MD

#32 May 8, 2008
at the films with roger ebert...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Al Pacino Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Soap in 'Scent' is Sisters (Oct '06) Mar '17 Lucintheski 53
News Pacino hits the high notes in feel-good 'Danny ... (Apr '15) Apr '15 ivfnurse 2
News Single Person's Movie: Meet the Parents (Feb '09) Feb '15 Terelyn 3
News Marco Rubio says he can win presidential election (Jan '15) Jan '15 Doc Proper 7
News Tom Cruise vs. Jack Nicholson (O'Reilly vs. Oba... (Feb '14) Feb '14 Michelle Bird 1
News December 26 - 28, 2013 (12/26 - 12/28): Target ... (Dec '13) Dec '13 Target Sucks 1
News Al Pacino to Receive AFI Lifetime Honor (Oct '06) Nov '13 TheAfroHedgehog 8
More from around the web