Astronauts Condemn NASA's Global Warm...

Astronauts Condemn NASA's Global Warming Stance

There are 106 comments on the WebProNews story from Apr 12, 2012, titled Astronauts Condemn NASA's Global Warming Stance. In it, WebProNews reports that:

Global warming is happening! That was the belief up until 2009 when it was discovered that the worlds most trusted and renowned center fro studting climate change, the Climatic Research Unit of the University of East Anglia, was fudging it's data and climate algorithms to make the data seem way worse than it actually was.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WebProNews.

First Prev
of 6
Next Last
Fun Facts

Owens Cross Roads, AL

#1 Apr 12, 2012
I agree. NASA has done a lot of harm to itself with the copious pronouncements. The recalculation of the US temp chart as a result of many FOI requests. And the consistent failures of it's dire predictions.

James Hansen's call for the prosecution of skeptics for crimes against humanity didn't help NASA's reputation either.

This global warming agenda was created in the 80s when there was a very vocal call for the defunding of NASA.

The premise is falling apart piece by piece. Anyone who has been watching can see it's demise. It will be interesting to see what happens to NASA as a result.

Since: Apr 08

"the green troll"

#2 Apr 12, 2012
I won’t bother to link to it here, but you may be hearing on the inter-tubes about a “list of NASA Scientists” who deny global warming.

When you want to present something as “scientific” that strays far beyond the boundaries of the mainstream, you have to take your “scientists” where you can get them. In the past, we’ve seen climate deniers present petition lists of orthodontists, podiatrists, and veterinarians as “proof’” of a controversy about climate change.

Now, Harrison Schmitt, ex-astronaut, and a board member at the Oil and Tobacco shilling Heartland Institute, whose own shaky scientific integrity is documented in the video above, has apparently trolled the ranks of retired right wing NASA engineers (don’t see any climate specialists on this list) for yet another anti-factual denialosphere non-news story. Schmidt was famously rejected for a post heading the New Mexico Department of Energy, Minerals, and Natural Resources after accounts of his scientific distortions surfaced. He is also noted for appearing on the Moon-bat Conspiracy theory Alex Jones show to discuss his theory that the “environmental movement has been taken over by communists”.

http://climatecrocks.com/2012/04/11/heartland...

Judged:

10

10

9

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Since: Apr 08

"the green troll"

#3 Apr 12, 2012
Obviously this letter first gained attention because the signatories are former NASA employees. They are being touted as "top astronauts, scientists, and engineers" and "NASA experts, with more than 1000 years of combined professional experience." Okay, but in what fields does their expertise lie?

Based on the job titles listed in the letter signatures, by my count they include 23 administrators, 8 astronauts, 7 engineers, 5 technicians, and 4 scientists/mathematicians of one sort or another (none of those sorts having the slightest relation to climate science). Amongst the signatories and their 1,000 years of combined professional experience, that appears to include a grand total of zero hours of climate research experience, and zero peer-reviewed climate science papers.

http://www.skepticalscience.com/news.php...

Judged:

10

10

10

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Since: Apr 08

"the green troll"

#4 Apr 12, 2012
"NASA sponsors research into many areas of cutting-edge scientific inquiry, including the relationship between carbon dioxide and climate. As an agency, NASA does not draw conclusions and issue 'claims' about research findings. We support open scientific inquiry and discussion.

"Our Earth science programs provide many unique space-based observations and research capabilities to the scientific community to inform investigations into climate change, and many NASA scientists are actively involved in these investigations, bringing their expertise to bear on the interpretation of this information. We encourage our scientists to subject these results and interpretations to scrutiny by the scientific community through the peer-review process. After these studies have met the appropriate standards of scientific peer-review, we strongly encourage scientists to communicate these results to the public.

"If the authors of this letter disagree with specific scientific conclusions made public by NASA scientists, we encourage them to join the debate in the scientific literature or public forums rather than restrict any discourse."

http://www.spaceref.com/news/viewpr.html...

“Happy, warm and comfortable”

Since: Oct 10

Mountain retreat, SE Spain

#5 Apr 12, 2012
Climatecrocks, skepticalseance and spaceref, names of organisations that would convince anyone of their, je ne sais quoi.

“Happy, warm and comfortable”

Since: Oct 10

Mountain retreat, SE Spain

#8 Apr 13, 2012
There's a lot of sense in this article, probably too much for the average alarmist to handle.
-
NASA rebellion on global warming
http://blogs.dailymail.com/donsurber/archives...

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#9 Apr 13, 2012
Lol@ global warming.
Patriot

Denver, CO

#10 Apr 13, 2012

“Denying those who deny nature”

Since: Jun 07

Norfolk va

#11 Apr 14, 2012
Fair Game wrote:
Obviously this letter first gained attention because the signatories are former NASA employees. They are being touted as "top astronauts, scientists, and engineers" and "NASA experts, with more than 1000 years of combined professional experience." Okay, but in what fields does their expertise lie?
Based on the job titles listed in the letter signatures, by my count they include 23 administrators, 8 astronauts, 7 engineers, 5 technicians, and 4 scientists/mathematicians of one sort or another (none of those sorts having the slightest relation to climate science). Amongst the signatories and their 1,000 years of combined professional experience, that appears to include a grand total of zero hours of climate research experience, and zero peer-reviewed climate science papers.
http://www.skepticalscience.com/news.php...
And yet you can hold Dr Hansen who is now nothing more than an administrator and a single individual. Lets look at the list of people. Yes, you have 4 scientist/mathematicians, just the sort you would need if you were writing a computer model of the climate. You have 7 engineers, 5 technicians, just the people you would need to build the sensors to moniter the climate. The people who would build the tools needed to track climate change in the first place.

Plus we have 23 administrators to your one administrator named Hansen. Not to mention the average astronaut is a highly educated individual and not just some person who likes to go out and chant slogans. They are by the selection process the best and the brightest around. The ones who are driven to do better than all those around them and usually an expert in more than one field of science. I doubt Dr Hansen has the education level that they do.

Also you need a better source than your pet propaganda machine web site. Run by someone who has zero peer reviewed papers on climate as well.
Northie

Spokane, WA

#13 Apr 14, 2012
Fair Game wrote:
"NASA sponsors research into many areas of cutting-edge scientific inquiry, including the relationship between carbon dioxide and climate. As an agency, NASA does not draw conclusions and issue 'claims' about research findings. We support open scientific inquiry and discussion.
"Our Earth science programs provide many unique space-based observations and research capabilities to the scientific community to inform investigations into climate change, and many NASA scientists are actively involved in these investigations, bringing their expertise to bear on the interpretation of this information. We encourage our scientists to subject these results and interpretations to scrutiny by the scientific community through the peer-review process. After these studies have met the appropriate standards of scientific peer-review, we strongly encourage scientists to communicate these results to the public.
"If the authors of this letter disagree with specific scientific conclusions made public by NASA scientists, we encourage them to join the debate in the scientific literature or public forums rather than restrict any discourse."
http://www.spaceref.com/news/viewpr.html...
Or, "49 Cliff Clavins walk into a bar and talk climate change..."

http://desmogblog.com/49-cliff-clavin-s-walk-...
SoE

United States

#14 Apr 14, 2012
tina anne wrote:
<quoted text>
Not to mention the average astronaut is a highly educated individual and not just some person who likes to go out and chant slogans. They are by the selection process the best and the brightest around. The ones who are driven to do better than all those around them and usually an expert in more than one field of science.
Will you be citing Knowyostuff as an example ?
Perhaps Knowyostuff roughly translates into the right stuff ?

Since: Mar 12

Location hidden

#15 Apr 15, 2012
Earthling-1 wrote:
There's a lot of sense in this article, probably too much for the average alarmist to handle.
-
NASA rebellion on global warming
http://blogs.dailymail.com/donsurber/archives...
From your link:

"In a letter to NASA Administrator Charles Bolden that does not — repeat, does not — name James Hansen, 50 astronauts requested that NASA stop pushing global cooling/global warming/climate change."

Then the list of signatories. Nope, not 50 astronauts there. A major hodgepodge of retired this-n-thats...I saw one meteorologist though! Fifty assorted retirees out of an organisation that probably has 50,000 past employees? A few Astronauts in there, but not exactly compelling.

And they want NASA to "refrain from including unproven and unsupported remarks in its future releases and websites on this subject." Well, unsupported remarks I can agree, but unproven? Even electrons are not "proven" in science, lest we forget what proof actually means.

This letter also makes the ingenuous gaffs of character assassination as argument, in the case of Hansen, followed by exaggeration of the supposedly offending claims by NASA that climate change is already having a "catastrophic effect". I don't remember reading this on NASA's website, although of course they do talk about potentially dangerous effects in the future.

This is just the kind of overblown nonsense that is damaging the science and I would include excessive alarmism in that. But in the case of your link, the offence is coming from the skeptics.

“Happy, warm and comfortable”

Since: Oct 10

Mountain retreat, SE Spain

#16 Apr 15, 2012
Chimney1 wrote:
From your link:
"In a letter to NASA Administrator Charles Bolden that does not — repeat, does not — name James Hansen, 50 astronauts requested that NASA stop pushing global cooling/global warming/climate change."
Then the list of signatories. Nope, not 50 astronauts there. A major hodgepodge of retired this-n-thats...I saw one meteorologist though! Fifty assorted retirees out of an organisation that probably has 50,000 past employees? A few Astronauts in there, but not exactly compelling.
And they want NASA to "refrain from including unproven and unsupported remarks in its future releases and websites on this subject." Well, unsupported remarks I can agree, but unproven? Even electrons are not "proven" in science, lest we forget what proof actually means.
This letter also makes the ingenuous gaffs of character assassination as argument, in the case of Hansen, followed by exaggeration of the supposedly offending claims by NASA that climate change is already having a "catastrophic effect". I don't remember reading this on NASA's website, although of course they do talk about potentially dangerous effects in the future.
This is just the kind of overblown nonsense that is damaging the science and I would include excessive alarmism in that. But in the case of your link, the offence is coming from the skeptics.
You're still entitled to an opinion, thankfully.
Northie

Spokane, WA

#19 Apr 17, 2012
The plot to gut NASA climate research, with the Koch Brothers and the Heartland Prostitute bumping in the night...

http://rabett.blogspot.com/2012/04/butchers-b...

“Denying those who deny nature”

Since: Jun 07

Norfolk va

#20 Apr 17, 2012
Northie wrote:
The plot to gut NASA climate research, with the Koch Brothers and the Heartland Prostitute bumping in the night...
http://rabett.blogspot.com/2012/04/butchers-b...
I see that to you a rant by someone who should seek medical help is proof that there is a plot to gut NASA's climate research. Of course I could see other goverment agencies like NOAA and NWS wanting to do just that so that they can have the funding that would of gone to NASA. Which would of made far more sense that trying to place the blame on the Kick Brothers and Heartland for the fact that NASA is looking at funding cuts in general and in this area in specific.

It is time to face the fact that the masses no longer believe that man is the cause the way that they use to. Before they needed something to feel guility about and now they are just to worried about paying the bills.
AntiMelting

Saint Paul, MN

#21 Apr 17, 2012
GoreBull Warming.

“Happy, warm and comfortable”

Since: Oct 10

Mountain retreat, SE Spain

#23 Apr 18, 2012
Nausous wrote:
The plot to gut NASA climate research, with the Koch Brothers and the Heartland Prostitute bumping in the night...
http://rabett.blogspot.com/2012/04/butchers-b...
It looks like you're fresh out of 'sensible' ideas.
dogmatic

United States

#24 Apr 18, 2012
Fair Game wrote:
I won’t bother to link to it here, but you may be hearing on the inter-tubes about a “list of NASA Scientists” who deny global warming.
When you want to present something as “scientific” that strays far beyond the boundaries of the mainstream, you have to take your “scientists” where you can get them. In the past, we’ve seen climate deniers present petition lists of orthodontists, podiatrists, and veterinarians as “proof’” of a controversy about climate change.
Now, Harrison Schmitt, ex-astronaut, and a board member at the Oil and Tobacco shilling Heartland Institute, whose own shaky scientific integrity is documented in the video above, has apparently trolled the ranks of retired right wing NASA engineers (don’t see any climate specialists on this list) for yet another anti-factual denialosphere non-news story. Schmidt was famously rejected for a post heading the New Mexico Department of Energy, Minerals, and Natural Resources after accounts of his scientific distortions surfaced. He is also noted for appearing on the Moon-bat Conspiracy theory Alex Jones show to discuss his theory that the “environmental movement has been taken over by communists”.
http://climatecrocks.com/2012/04/11/heartland...
thank you for saving me the time of researching this BS.
LGK

Sheffield, UK

#25 Apr 18, 2012
If facts & arguments were limited to climate it would soon be clear "global warming" is a hoax. Here a fact that doesn't need NASA astronauts & none astronauts. Warming stopped in 1998. Now that's easy enough to understand, isn't it?
dogmatic

United States

#27 Apr 18, 2012
LGK wrote:
If facts & arguments were limited to climate it would soon be clear "global warming" is a hoax. Here a fact that doesn't need NASA astronauts & none astronauts. Warming stopped in 1998. Now that's easy enough to understand, isn't it?
but you didn't back up your argument with a single verfifiable fact. Cooler since 98? Where'd you get your information? The heritage group? Think they might be a little biased? Maybe you observed the global temps directly, all by yourself. Point being you gotta trust someones' data why the 3 percentile who deny?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Al Gore Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 1 hr Patriot AKA Bozo 63,409
News Newsmaker 22 hr CLUELESS 2
News Middle Israel:Under new management Feb 23 Jeff Brightone 1
News Trump 'to change' climate change stance Feb 22 Rshermr 2
News New Mexico take step toward joining popular-vot... Feb 13 Sharlane 9
News Scientists dispute global warming (Aug '08) Feb 11 robertwebster 243
News GOP senior statesmen making push for a carbon tax Feb 9 Frogface Kate 5
More from around the web