Archbishop Hughes to boycott Xavier commencement over abortion rights honoree Donna Brazile

Apr 23, 2009 Full story: www.nola.com 6

New Orleans Archbishop Alfred Hughes is boycotting Xavier's commencement because the university is honoring Democratic political strategist Donna Brazile, who supports abortion rights for women.

Full Story

Since: Jan 07

Phoenix AZ

#1 Apr 23, 2009
With all the bishops boycotting commencement exercises over the issue of abortion is quite a blessing for all. Now, people won't have to sit through long assinine speeches by men who know very little about every day life of people.
Dan

Omaha, NE

#2 Apr 23, 2009
Ye Olde Fart wrote:
With all the bishops boycotting commencement exercises over the issue of abortion is quite a blessing for all. Now, people won't have to sit through long assinine speeches by men who know very little about every day life of people.
Yeah-much better to listen to a TV talking head.
rbird

Paradise, CA

#3 Apr 23, 2009
The boycott is unlikely to change the course of history or the economic problems.
rmolblazir

Saint Paul, MN

#4 Apr 24, 2009
I like the idea of the archbishop boycotting the commencement exercise. At least he is not condemning those who go and listen to another's point of view. It is his right to boycott the assembly....for whatever reason, just like any of us...but he will never know what other thoughts and ideas he may benefit from or benefit his congregation unless he avails himself of the opportunity to listen. That is the purpose of education...listen, understand and then think for yourself. It's tragic that one issue will blind some people to the many other issues that would likely serve to bring most of us together.
We really need to stop the polarization and listen to one another and think for ourselves. Thanks for listening...and good luck at Xavier !

Since: Jan 07

Phoenix AZ

#5 Apr 24, 2009
rmolblazir wrote:
I like the idea of the archbishop boycotting the commencement exercise. At least he is not condemning those who go and listen to another's point of view. It is his right to boycott the assembly....for whatever reason, just like any of us...but he will never know what other thoughts and ideas he may benefit from or benefit his congregation unless he avails himself of the opportunity to listen. That is the purpose of education...listen, understand and then think for yourself. It's tragic that one issue will blind some people to the many other issues that would likely serve to bring most of us together.
We really need to stop the polarization and listen to one another and think for ourselves. Thanks for listening...and good luck at Xavier !
"...and then think for yourself."
Roman Catholics are not allowed to think for themselves. It is unfortunate, but some like it that way.
rmolblazir

Saint Paul, MN

#6 Apr 24, 2009
Ye Olde Fart wrote:
<quoted text>
"...and then think for yourself."
Roman Catholics are not allowed to think for themselves. It is unfortunate, but some like it that way.
Ye Old...The good ones think for themselves....allowed or not. The RC bishops coming along sometimes remind me of the three monkeys, with the hands over their eyes, ears and mouth. At least the archbishop in New Orleans did not ban the catholics from attending or demand that Xavier pull back the invitation to speak....unlike Nienstedt here in St. Paul. Appreciate the thoughts...but be nice to the catholics...we all live in the same country and care about making things better one brick at a time.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Al Gore Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 9 min Duh 50,219
Musician will.i.am at Davos to promote 'new waya Sat Grubers are DUHHHHHH 3
Pharrell: 'Live Earth' concert to press for cli... Jan 22 SpaceBlues 7
Al Gore and Pharrell Williams announce Live Ear... Jan 21 jogos friv 2 3
Pharrell: 'Live Earth' concert to press for cli... Jan 21 Earthling-1 1
From Selma to Ferguson: The Mixed Legacy of Dr.... Jan 13 squeezers 3
Obama's fear-mongering (Mar '09) Dec 29 Ghostdog 9
More from around the web