Charlottesville Delegation Receives W...

Charlottesville Delegation Receives Warm Welcome from Winneba

There are 20 comments on the NBC29 Charlottesville story from May 4, 2011, titled Charlottesville Delegation Receives Warm Welcome from Winneba. In it, NBC29 Charlottesville reports that:

A contingent from Charlottesville is in Africa, visiting the sister city of Winneba, Ghana.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NBC29 Charlottesville.

Gru

United States

#1 May 4, 2011
You can take down the previous comments, but we're still going to drag out the dead horse -- it's pointless and a waste of time and money. What is in this for Charlottesville?! Turn the economy around? Lower gas prices? Jobs? And I don't buy the "fundraising" myth, either. Nine people, nine days -- that's an expensive trip and you'll never make me believe that a wine tasting raised even half of what was needed.

Since: Apr 08

Charlottesville, VA

#2 May 4, 2011
Comments have not been taken down, there is another thread on a different story. I believe the comments you are looking for are here: http://www.topix.com/forum/source/nbc29/TOAVG...
Mow

Marietta, GA

#3 May 4, 2011
I'll bet, anytime a US citizen comes round its money in somebodies pocket, most likely pulled out of ours.
Guardian

Palmyra, VA

#4 May 4, 2011
Google identity theft, credit card fraud and Ghana. It seems to be their international claim to faim. Maybe they can teach the leaders in C'ville how to better rip off the public.
internets

Shenandoah, VA

#5 May 5, 2011
They were singing "Money Money Money...MONNEYYY" when the Cville delegation arrived.
kwesi atta sakyi

Lusaka, Zambia

#6 May 5, 2011
Winneba has a potential for tourism and market gardening. Also fish farming can be exploited as the locals love fishing and sea-faring activities. I think the hospitality industry stands a good chance since it is closer to Accra.
Avery Chenoweth

Charlottesville, VA

#7 May 5, 2011
An interesting story, but would love to know more details, especially since the city is--according to your own story--trying to economize by purchasing I-Pads rather than using so much paper. So, please do report how much it has cost the city to send over the delegation, and what it will bring back that would justify the expense of such a trip. Certainly, they didn't fly over there to perform a few symbolic acts or merely show blue prints of a library. So, what is the cost, and what is the real take-away for the City of Charlottesville that makes this trip more than a very expensive feel-good gesture?
Mow

Marietta, GA

#8 May 5, 2011
Anyone know how we can find out who exactly went on this junket?
Patriot

United States

#9 May 5, 2011
I love how those on "right" question this visit to Ghana - the African nation leaning more toward a western style government than any other. This country is moving in the direction we want it to - not down some radical violent path like so many.
Where were you when American blood and money was being drained in Iraq is search of WMD?
That didn't bother you, but this does??
We need to support Ghana as they just may become the poster child for success via the ways of the west.
internets

Shenandoah, VA

#10 May 5, 2011
That is not the job of the most local level of government. not even close.
Captain Obvious

Charlottesville, VA

#11 May 5, 2011
It's obvious their welcome would be warm. How close are they to the equator? LOL

Patriot, Courting Ghana is Secretary of State Hillary Clinton's job, not Mayor Dave Norris'. Mayor Norris is supposed to be making THIS city grow and prosper, not some city on another continent.

Since: Apr 08

Charlottesville, VA

#12 May 5, 2011
Mow wrote:
Anyone know how we can find out who exactly went on this junket?
Dave Norris, Charlottesville Mayor
Krista Farrell, Jefferson-Madison Regional Library
Jane Penner, UVa Library
Nancy Damon, Virginia Festival of the Book
Kelly Eplee, Building Goodness Foundation
Stan Binsted, R.E. Lee Construction/Building Goodness Foundation
Karen Waters, Quality Community Council
Nana Ghartey, Ghana Association of Charlottesville
Roger Voisinet, Cville Properties
Baccho Umbertis, Graduate Student
Charlotte Cherry, Light House Studio
Morgan Rowe, Charlottesville-Winneba Sister Cities Committee
Henry Graff, NBC29 reporter
CRUZ

Charlottesville, VA

#13 May 5, 2011
Patriot wrote:
I love how those on "right" question this visit to Ghana - the African nation leaning more toward a western style government than any other. This country is moving in the direction we want it to - not down some radical violent path like so many.
Where were you when American blood and money was being drained in Iraq is search of WMD?
That didn't bother you, but this does??
We need to support Ghana as they just may become the poster child for success via the ways of the west.
HEY PATRIOT! I was on that ground and left some Blood so what exactly have you done to hold up the Flag of freedom you live under. Do you have a Clue as to what was accomplished? Soldiers continue to Fight so you can post what ever dumb thing you choose to say. Post what ever you like and prove those soldiers RIGHT!
Extreme

Scottsville, VA

#14 May 5, 2011
Captain Obvious wrote:
It's obvious their welcome would be warm. How close are they to the equator? LOL
Patriot, Courting Ghana is Secretary of State Hillary Clinton's job, not Mayor Dave Norris'. Mayor Norris is supposed to be making THIS city grow and prosper, not some city on another continent.
especially when this is a poor country and city to begin with. So what will Charlottesville gain from visiting a poor country?
internets

Shenandoah, VA

#15 May 5, 2011
well, i guess sister cities take turns helping each other.

Next year, our sister city in Italy will send Mario and Luigi to fix our pipes
buyerbeware

Crozet, VA

#16 May 5, 2011
Well, at least the signmakers got it right..."Charlottesville, USA"...and who says the city leaders don't think they are the center of the universe?(or at least the USA)
citizen

United States

#17 May 5, 2011
Considering the percentage of adults in Charlottesville that are public assistance darlings maybe Winneba can show Charlottesville how to regain it's work ethic without resorting to disability scams and "freelance prescriptions."

Other than that I see nothing here other than yet one more example of feel good politics with liberals patting themselves on the back like a bunch of chimpanzees.
Guardian

Palmyra, VA

#18 May 5, 2011
WMoore wrote:
<quoted text>
Dave Norris, Charlottesville Mayor
Krista Farrell, Jefferson-Madison Regional Library
Jane Penner, UVa Library
Nancy Damon, Virginia Festival of the Book
Kelly Eplee, Building Goodness Foundation
Stan Binsted, R.E. Lee Construction/Building Goodness Foundation
Karen Waters, Quality Community Council
Nana Ghartey, Ghana Association of Charlottesville
Roger Voisinet, Cville Properties
Baccho Umbertis, Graduate Student
Charlotte Cherry, Light House Studio
Morgan Rowe, Charlottesville-Winneba Sister Cities Committee
Henry Graff, NBC29 reporter
I hope they each used their credit/debit cards. Nothing like a lesson in economics Ghana style.
Guardian

Palmyra, VA

#19 May 5, 2011
They come here, put their kids on ADC, free health care, free school. They send a lot of their money back to Ghana, all the while living off public assistance.
This is a fraud being committed on all taxpayers.
citizen

United States

#20 May 5, 2011
A great many people from central America who shouldn't be here are now getting free health care from UVA hospital.

Why shouldn't the same largesse be extended to visitors from Winneba?

For that matter, the entire world?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Africa Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Medicine for Africa' which can be made by ordi... Aug 9 andrew john langham 1
Zaragemca Top Experience (Apr '14) Aug 1 Gerry Zaragmca 3
News Cultural appropriation: when 'borrowing' become... Jun '16 Oh No You Di-nt 1
Boko Haram Allegedly Harvests And Sells Human O... (Jan '16) Jan '16 Shocking and True 1
News Migrants flock to EU door along Serbia's border... (Mar '15) Mar '15 Sterkfontein Swar... 1
News A German's View on Islam (Jan '15) Jan '15 Just a guy 6
News Sierra Leone's Ebola-hit Freetown is a city on ... (Aug '14) Aug '14 Hannah 1
More from around the web