War on terror's hidden front

War on terror's hidden front

There are 31 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Nov 17, 2008, titled War on terror's hidden front. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

The desert is a war. U.S. Army Staff Sgt. Cynthia Ramirez roared through it in an unmarked Land Cruiser, projecting the awesome might of the U.S. military into a wasteland little seen, much less penetrated, by ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Chad

Naperville, IL

#1 Nov 17, 2008
Do these tribesman really respect a woman Sgt, the same they would a man?
Staying

Round Lake, IL

#2 Nov 18, 2008
Yes we can go anywhere but our problem is that we have no staying power unless we are talking about the Peacecorp.
tony

Springfield, IL

#5 Nov 18, 2008
Charlie ChatBox,

If we couldn't get people to impeach bush for lying, cheating, stealing and killing, why do you think people care about your paper chase? Not one nickel, limb or life has been lost because of what you claim. Find something important to fight about.
Joe

Thorp, WI

#6 Nov 18, 2008
How about we stop hijacking a message board of a well written piece of how our armed forces are being proactive towards terrorism and helping poor villages. The terrorists go to these poor villages and rule by fear. If we get there first and gain their trust, they'll not only refuse the teaching of the extremists, but also work with us in our efforts to keep not only Americans safe, but the world.

I"m glad I know about this mission in Africa. If you want to bash Obama or Bush, start your own threads in the forum.
3 letters

Palatine, IL

#7 Nov 18, 2008
Excellent reporting.
I'm happy to see Paul Salopek still reporting for the Tribune. Not much else left to rejoice about in the new, "improved" Trib. Too bad this piece is placed so inconspicuously in the on-line edition. At least in the print version, it received the placement it deserves.
KmC

Nashville, TN

#8 Nov 18, 2008
It sounds like they're finally getting the idea on how to do it the right way.
I'm impressed and hopeful.
KmC

Nashville, TN

#9 Nov 18, 2008
Oh, and charliechatter?
What would you guys do without the lawyers you so hate?
MinisterR

Chicago, IL

#10 Nov 18, 2008
This is just a great story! This is what the Trib needs to do save itself. No bias, no opinion passed off as news by its editorial board, a positive story on the efforts of our government and service people.

I canceled my subscription as a result of their lack of reporting/vetting of the candidates this past election. I may come back but only for the 99 cent per week/52 weeks of Sunday delivery which is the current offer I am receiving.

- Signed 15 year Navy vet, father of 2, husband, small business owner, property owner, minority, born and raised in South Shore/Hyde Park.
MinisterR

Chicago, IL

#11 Nov 18, 2008
I guess you are trying to insinuate this was due to the recent election/campaign?

You couldn't be more wrong but no one can argue with a zealot like you.

- Signed 15 year Navy vet, father of 2, husband, small business owner, property owner, minority, born and raised in South Shore/Hyde Park.
KmC wrote:
It sounds like they're finally getting the idea on how to do it the right way.
I'm impressed and hopeful.
Thomas

Oklahoma City, OK

#12 Nov 18, 2008
This sounds like the unsuccesful Hearts and minds campaign in Viet Nam just before the VC would go in and slaugter everyone in the village. Unless you are planning on providing protection for all those villagers this will do very little to stop militant islamists who rule by force.
Skep Tackle

Skokie, IL

#13 Nov 18, 2008
What a concept...wage peace not war!! I know that Gdub didn't come up with this idea. Must be liberal in the Whitehouse...!
Now if this concept would just catch on! How cool would that be?
Bush propaganda

United States

#14 Nov 18, 2008
The "War on Terror" term is pure propaganda-- please stop falling for it.
Bottoms up

Las Vegas, NV

#15 Nov 18, 2008
Well let's hope this works.As one who spent 15 months in the Northwest Frontier of Pakistan-just outide Peshawar,I can tell you how women are treated in tribal society.Dinner time consists of the father eating first with the sons of the family,and left overs go to the wife and mother,anything left over go to the girls of the family.Women are cursed when they deliver daughters.And that's when food is plentiful.Drought conditions really take a tragic toll on the female population in the tribal societies.
Halito

Las Vegas, NV

#16 Nov 18, 2008
Is that Tuvalu or totalu? So topix is sold out...And this Korean guy sold it for 800.00? Must be the duetch bags..
Halito

Las Vegas, NV

#17 Nov 18, 2008
Joe wrote:
How about we stop hijacking a message board of a well written piece of how our armed forces are being proactive towards terrorism and helping poor villages. The terrorists go to these poor villages and rule by fear. If we get there first and gain their trust, they'll not only refuse the teaching of the extremists, but also work with us in our efforts to keep not only Americans safe, but the world.
I"m glad I know about this mission in Africa. If you want to bash Obama or Bush, start your own threads in the forum.
So how more spegetti worm contests do we want televised?That's the parasites...Or the new diet...for weight loss..
Halito

Las Vegas, NV

#18 Nov 18, 2008
Or is that the new scratch win conrest for survival...
Halito

Las Vegas, NV

#19 Nov 18, 2008
Contest...
Halito

Las Vegas, NV

#20 Nov 18, 2008
So how long has Topix had this domain name?
Halito

Las Vegas, NV

#21 Nov 18, 2008
University Depri? In PA..? Good Job....But who is Dave Country?
Halito

Las Vegas, NV

#22 Nov 18, 2008
Is that Brother Samsung? From La hay jah?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Africa Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
White power (Aug '11) Mar '17 Samuel-7g-Jackson 2
Medicine for Africa' which can be made by ordi... (Aug '16) Mar '17 Ache 2
Can an African-American join an African tribe? Jan '17 Anonymous 1
Mama hawah women clinic Dec '16 Anonymous 1
Do the Hausa's have slimmer features than other... Dec '16 Anonymous 1
Zaragemca Top Experience (Apr '14) Aug '16 Gerry Zaragmca 3
News Cultural appropriation: when 'borrowing' become... (Jun '16) Jun '16 Oh No You Di-nt 1
More from around the web