On Native GroundTHE Nexus of Climate ...

On Native GroundTHE Nexus of Climate Change and War

There are 6 comments on the American Reporter story from Nov 10, 2011, titled On Native GroundTHE Nexus of Climate Change and War. In it, American Reporter reports that:

There is virtually no doubt that global warming exists. Aside from a few cranks and those heavily invested in the fossil fuel industry, the scientific consensus is that the Earth's climate is changing, and changing faster than ever before.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at American Reporter.

Dusty

Westland, MI

#1 Nov 11, 2011
This article is out of date. We haven't had warming for ten years.

Since: Apr 10

Milwaukee, WI USA

#2 Nov 12, 2011
Dusty wrote:
This article is out of date. We haven't had warming for ten years.
I really do wish folks on my side of thing would cease and desist from making the claim that it hasn't warmed up for the last ten years. OK, it hasn't but then it didn't from 1945 to 1975 or from 1880 to 1910. Over time the temperature has gone up and down, mostly up.

Over at Skeptical Science they have a graphic that makes fools of anyone making the "We haven't had warming for ten years" claim.

http://www.skepticalscience.com/pics/Skeptics...

Please do understand that temperature over the last 160 years has gone up. It's gone up a little over 0.7°C in all that time. I don't really know what it's going to do next, but a good bet would be that the upward trend will resume. However, it's not a disaster. In fact it's probably a good thing. After all, where do you go on vacation? Someplace warm or someplace cold.
Oscar

Westland, MI

#3 Nov 12, 2011
Steve Case wrote:
<quoted text>
I really do wish folks on my side of thing would cease and desist from making the claim that it hasn't warmed up for the last ten years. OK, it hasn't but then it didn't from 1945 to 1975 or from 1880 to 1910. Over time the temperature has gone up and down, mostly up.
Over at Skeptical Science they have a graphic that makes fools of anyone making the "We haven't had warming for ten years" claim.
http://www.skepticalscience.com/pics/Skeptics...
Please do understand that temperature over the last 160 years has gone up. It's gone up a little over 0.7°C in all that time. I don't really know what it's going to do next, but a good bet would be that the upward trend will resume. However, it's not a disaster. In fact it's probably a good thing. After all, where do you go on vacation? Someplace warm or someplace cold.
There is quite a bit of data about the temperature change over the last ten years and it shows no appreciable temperature increase but I agree with you that it is almost irrelevant. Almost as irrelevant as the conclusions drawn in the article which is the subject of this comment thread.

Actually the fact that it started going up before the adddition of significant manmade CO2 and the fact that it has gone up and down throughout history should make all of skeptical. That the recent warming has slowed is another good reason to be skeptical of AGW. Your comment that it is a good bet that warming will resume is pure speculation and given the change in the sun's recent activity you might bet more reliably on the opposit event happening.

The creator of this article is on a mission to post and repost it as he is an journalist (????) who has a strong belief in AGW and is trying to debate the subject by reposting his analysis over and over again.
Fun Facts

Albuquerque, NM

#4 Nov 12, 2011
Altho true temps show no appreciable increase in the last 10 years, 10 years does not a climate make.

It is actually amazing that 30 years would be considered a 'climate'.

In the last 100 years we have had two 30 year periods of increasing and one 30 year period of decreasing temps right in the middle of the two 30 years of increasing temps.

The overall pattern of temps is increasing. Temps have been increasing since the end of the Little Ice Age. About 400 years of colder temps.

400 years can easily be called a climate period, and you can call our current 160 years of warming a climate period.

What is in question is whether or not this pattern of increasing temps is unusual or unprecedented. It is not. Historically our current pattern is no different from prior warm ups during the holocene.

The next question would be did man cause the increase in temps by burning of fossil fuels. No evidence has been presented to support that premise.

Temps began to warm up after about 1850, CO2 began to increase after 1959. This too fits the historic pattern of temps increasing and CO2 following the temp increases.

We are thought to be entering a time period of low solar activity. This pattern is also evident in historic data. If the pattern persists, we will experience about 30 years of low solar activity.

In the past low solar activity has been accompanied by low temps on earth. But this does not happen like turning off a light switch, but more like not adding more wood to the fire. The lag time between solar activity and earth's temps is about 10 years.

The sun went into minimum in 2002, cycle 24 started in December 2008. Scientists who study solar patterns have stated cooling should be evident by 2012.

Solar insolation is the very basis for the energy the earth receives and turns into heat. But once received, the earth has many systems that process that heat energy. Which processes are dominant at any given time, will determine what our 'climate' might be.
SpaceBlues

United States

#5 Nov 12, 2011
Blah blah .. you are WRONG. The industrialization age bloomed with coal use about 180 years ago... followed by oil combustion about a hundred years ago .. and two world wars then testing of atomic and hydrogen bombs until recently .. and explosion of two atomic bombs on the Japanese then the Korean, Vietnam, Falklands, Bosnia, Gulf, Afrikan, etc. wars and then Iraq/ Afghanistan wars last decade plus ...

Do you get the complications? And who's documenting their own climate change responsibility?

http://climatedenial.org/

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons...
Oscar

Westland, MI

#6 Nov 12, 2011
SpaceBlues wrote:
Blah blah .. you are WRONG. The industrialization age bloomed with coal use about 180 years ago... followed by oil combustion about a hundred years ago .. and two world wars then testing of atomic and hydrogen bombs until recently .. and explosion of two atomic bombs on the Japanese then the Korean, Vietnam, Falklands, Bosnia, Gulf, Afrikan, etc. wars and then Iraq/ Afghanistan wars last decade plus ...
Do you get the complications? And who's documenting their own climate change responsibility?
http://climatedenial.org/
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons...
Ahh! Now I see. It was the hydorgen bombs and the atomic bombs that acutated the coal fired CO2 from the 19th century.

You alarmists have a perfect cause. No matter what comes up you can just slip away to another argument why man is bad.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Africa Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Medicine for Africa' which can be made by ordi... Aug 9 andrew john langham 1
Zaragemca Top Experience (Apr '14) Aug 1 Gerry Zaragmca 3
News Cultural appropriation: when 'borrowing' become... Jun '16 Oh No You Di-nt 1
Boko Haram Allegedly Harvests And Sells Human O... (Jan '16) Jan '16 Shocking and True 1
News Migrants flock to EU door along Serbia's border... (Mar '15) Mar '15 Sterkfontein Swar... 1
News A German's View on Islam (Jan '15) Jan '15 Just a guy 6
News Sierra Leone's Ebola-hit Freetown is a city on ... (Aug '14) Aug '14 Hannah 1
More from around the web